PDA

View Full Version : This place is a mess! (worst mile of the AT)

STEVEM
11-17-2007, 23:06
I've hiked about 200 miles of the Long Path in bits and pieces during the past year or so. Over the past few weekends I've been filling in some small missing sections here and there. Todays hike took me for about a mile parallel to the Palisades Interstate Parkway maybe 50 feet below the southbound side of the highway along an embankment strewn with beer cans, tires, car parts, rotten deer, and other assorted trash. The dilapidated chain link fence, mud and continuous traffic noise also helped make this a notably disgusting section of trail.

Anyway, Here's my Question: What is the worst mile of the AT? Not the toughest or most pointless, but the section that is just downright filthy and disgusting.

Pacific Tortuga
11-17-2007, 23:43
I do not remember anything I thought was disgusting on the Trail. The only thing that would come close to me was the smell coming off Antietam Creek.

KG4FAM
11-17-2007, 23:54
When I was north of hwy 19 on the TN/NC border. There is a side road just a short ways north of the main road and somebody had taken four bags of trash and strewn them down the trail. Everybody warns about that area so it was not that much of a suprise

Gaiter
11-18-2007, 00:30
speaking of 19e, whatever happened, last i heard they had done camera surveillance and were talking about federal charges for this guy. does any one know if he was arrested, jailtime!, or is he still trashing the place?

Just a Hiker
11-18-2007, 00:41
When I was north of hwy 19 on the TN/NC border. There is a side road just a short ways north of the main road and somebody had taken four bags of trash and strewn them down the trail. Everybody warns about that area so it was not that much of a suprise

There is always trash there.......in '02 someone torched a vehicle there.

Sly
11-18-2007, 00:47
speaking of 19e, whatever happened, last i heard they had done camera surveillance and were talking about federal charges for this guy. does any one know if he was arrested, jailtime!, or is he still trashing the place?

Did they really? i suggested that a long time ago. I'm curious to the outcome myself.

modiyooch
11-18-2007, 09:57
I thought that several road crossing and popular campsites in PA where trashy. They might as well put trash cans at the parking areas because the locals just dump their trash.

Appalachian Tater
11-18-2007, 11:44
I've hiked about 200 miles of the Long Path in bits and pieces during the past year or so. Over the past few weekends I've been filling in some small missing sections here and there. Todays hike took me for about a mile parallel to the Palisades Interstate Parkway maybe 50 feet below the southbound side of the highway along an embankment strewn with beer cans, tires, car parts, rotten deer, and other assorted trash. The dilapidated chain link fence, mud and continuous traffic noise also helped make this a notably disgusting section of trail.

Anyway, Here's my Question: What is the worst mile of the AT? Not the toughest or most pointless, but the section that is just downright filthy and disgusting.

That is certainly the trashiest section of the Long Path between the GWB and Wurtsboro except maybe the area near the GWB which is pretty sloppy.

The 19E crossing on the A.T. was the trashiest but there were some other road crossings that boasted such delights as a well-rotted pig or dog which always makes for a pleasant time. One crossing near Union, New York was pretty bad this summer, with a rotting dog AND a rotting large bird, maybe a turkey or bird of prey, along with an assortment of trash.

Gaiter
11-18-2007, 11:51
i like carrying trash bags, clean up the trash and even if you can't pack it out, you can call a maintainer and let them know its there and already gathered in a bag.

saimyoji
11-18-2007, 12:21
i like carrying trash bags, clean up the trash and even if you can't pack it out, you can call a maintainer and let them know its there and already gathered in a bag.

Yeah, good idea to wear surgical gloves when cleaning up other people's trash...you never know whats on those tissues...:eek:

Flotsam
11-18-2007, 13:09

Can you fill us in with more details?

Uncle Silly
11-18-2007, 16:22
In '05 there was some section of the trail in CT where a couple of freight train cars had derailed near the trail. That section was pretty solidly trashed. Maybe someone else can recall the name of the town?

Just a Hiker
11-18-2007, 16:29
In '05 there was some section of the trail in CT where a couple of freight train cars had derailed near the trail. That section was pretty solidly trashed. Maybe someone else can recall the name of the town?

I want to say that was around Falls Village, CT. There was a temporary relocation around the train wreck, but as usual, I missed the relocation and ran into a real mess I had to detour around. Maybe I should wear my glasses? :D

Just Jim

Uncle Silly
11-18-2007, 17:37
I want to say that was around Falls Village, CT. There was a temporary relocation around the train wreck, but as usual, I missed the relocation and ran into a real mess I had to detour around. Maybe I should wear my glasses? :D

That sounds about right. I saw the relocation (roadwalk) signage but opted to stay on the trail anyway. It was nifty, but definitely not the kind of thing I'd have wanted to be around to witness.

Tin Man
11-18-2007, 17:48
Yes, the train derailment was in Falls Village. I walked through there this summer and a lot of the debris, mostly lumber, from the wreck is still laying alongside the trail.

Grampie
11-18-2007, 18:27
For all the usage that the AT gets, during my thru, I was impressed with the lack of trash on it.
I don't think you can count the road crossing points. It's not realy the trail it a road crossing acessable to everyone.
I don't think I can suggest the worst place but after you cross the road past
Apple House shelter you travel a short way where a section of road, can be seen from the trail, where a lot of stuff had been dumped.

saimyoji
11-18-2007, 18:33
The area jus south of Bake Oven Knob in PA is pretty trashy. Damn locals. :rolleyes:

sloopjonboswell
11-18-2007, 18:47
i remember a shelter in new york this year that was thoroghly trashed. it was stone, it had no water, and i really did feel bad about not carrying out the opened #10 cans full of cheese and jalapenos. we were standing in this thing looking around and trying to figure out what kind of person would molest an eighty year old landmark like that. the food was rotten and there were about three bags of trash that had been left on the floor, pillaged, scattered. gathered, scattered again. it was the only shelter i refused to stay in based on cleanliness. so im an a## for not packing some out, but, it was just mindblowingly stupid full of the dumbest crap.

gsingjane
11-18-2007, 19:41
In terms of an unpleasant walk, I found the trek down the north side of Bear Mtn. in NY to be right up there. I know they are doing the relo there, which is terrific, because it's just as eroded and unsafe as it can be. And, with all the day hikers coming up from the Bear Mtn. Inn, there were just thousands of tissues, candy wrappers, water bottles, etc., so it was pretty trashy, too. I felt sorry for the families and people coming up, because many of them will probably form an impression of the AT overall from this, which is just not at all representative!

Jane in CT

Blissful
11-18-2007, 19:46
Yeah the crossing after 19E was a mess. Computer, book shelving, other metal pieces and in the stream as well. Stands out in my mind.

max patch
11-18-2007, 20:07
Is Mr Doyles old bathtub still littering the trail? :)

Lone Wolf
11-18-2007, 21:09

dude. the majority of cyberhikers here have no idea what you speak of

LIhikers
11-18-2007, 21:29
In terms of an unpleasant walk, I found the trek down the north side of Bear Mtn. in NY to be right up there........I felt sorry for the families and people coming up, because many of them will probably form an impression of the AT overall from this, which is just not at all representative!

Jane in CT

Jane, not to worry, most of them don't have a clue as to what trail they are on. Most of them are just following the well worn path made by thousands who have gone before. We meet some this year who were half way up the mountain and had no idea about the blazes, they just follow where they see the ground worn by others.

If you ever find yourself there again let me suggest you try the Major Welsh Trail. It's much less used, in better condition, and has some good views. it's on the north east part of Bear Mountain.

Dakota Dan
11-18-2007, 21:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by max patch http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=451484#post451484)

dude. the majority of cyberhikers here have no idea what you speak of

I'm in agreement with L.Wolf on this one.

Slimer
11-18-2007, 22:29
The trail around Watauga lake was covered in trash when I was there.
I guess SOME(not all) of the locals use this area as their dump....

Dakota Dan
11-18-2007, 22:40
When I hear of a "Mess" or "Trash" on or near the AT, I have a 30 yr old vision where the cleanest place for 50 yards was in the 55 gallon trash-can sitting next to the trail (somewhere north of Damascus but south of NJ). Don't know what happened or whom or what did the mess, but I couldn't believe that all the mess on the ground could ever fit in the (now empty) trash can. It was kinda funny, even if it is in a non-environmental-friendly sort of way.

Gaiter
11-19-2007, 01:26
I don't think I can suggest the worst place but after you cross the road past
Apple House shelter you travel a short way where a section of road, can be seen from the trail, where a lot of stuff had been dumped.

thats 19e

I haven't heard anything really since late june 06, when i went through there, from what i heard from bob peoples and others in the area, bob peoples was taking a group of hiker volunteers once sometimes twice a week to clean up the trash that this guy was dumping. the guy was dumping motor oil, milk jugs, even his mail, claiming it was hikers dumping trash. he was mad about the imminent domain that had occurred in the area 20+ years ago (which he has every right to be mad, but no right to trash the area). many locals are mad about the imminent domain and its been unsafe to park cars there. local police wouldn't do anything about him, so they set up cameras and got video tape of him in action, not to mention his mail w/ his address was in the trash. so they were in the process of taking it to a federal level since he was trashing national forest land (or national something)

haven't heard anything since then(late june '06), wondering if anyone else knew.

anyone one who hiked the area this year: was it still trashed?

Digger'02
11-19-2007, 11:39
its still trashed and getting trashed, but if you know Bob and the Tennessee Eastman, you know they don't sit idle...this problem is high priority for them and they are some capable dudes.

Gaiter...you sound primed for trail work....are you X-hardcore?

Digger'02
11-19-2007, 11:41
oh...and that hike out of Lehigh Gap I think...the air pollution scar...thats pretty serrious

Desert Lobster
11-19-2007, 12:26
That air pollution scar is improving every year!

Gaiter
11-19-2007, 13:17
no haven't really done any major trail work, i jsut pick trash when i hike, haven't been to hardcore

LIhikers
11-19-2007, 15:50
no haven't really done any major trail work, i jsut pick trash when i hike, haven't been to hardcore

just, Just, JUST, .....don't be so humble.
That's more than most people do.
To pick up other peoples trash you definetly are hard core even if you've never been part of a work crew.

Digger'02
11-19-2007, 16:40
Amen to that! people who incorporate things like picking up trash into their leisure time, into their hikes make the trail better for everyone and let everyone know that this is really peer to peer when the boots hit the trail, Dig?

RITBlake
11-19-2007, 17:29
This was in 05'

We deliberately ignored the detour because we had heard rumors about the train coming up, it was well worth it.

http://www.maine2georgia.com/Connecticut/slides/144.JPG

RITBlake
11-19-2007, 17:31
This was one of several cars strewn next to the train. They were hauling treated lumber.

Jack Tarlin
11-19-2007, 19:03
The nastiest section I can think of is immediately adjacent to the William Brien shelter in New York. It's a garbage-strew pisshouse and it looks like it hasn't been properly cleaned since the 12th century. If William Brien were alive he'd have his name taken off the place. You'd have to pay me to stay there. I don't know what's up with the New York/New Jersey trail club: A lot of their facilities are dumps and they NEVER post information about water availability at trailheads, and only rarely in shelters. Absolutely my least favorite stretch of the Trail, and this includes the rockier bits of Pennsylvania.

In second place, I'd say any of the designated "Toilet Areas" near the shelters in the Smokies are right up there for pure disgustingness. Some of these places look like hunting camps for the Taliban.

MOWGLI
11-19-2007, 19:15
I don't know what's up with the New York/New Jersey trail club: A lot of their facilities are dumps and they NEVER post information about water availability at trailheads, and only rarely in shelters.

The William Brien Shelter belongs to New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. It is not a facility of the NY NJ Trail Conference. My guess is that the shelter is a historic structure.

Harriman State Park also receives millions of visitors annually because of it's proximity to NYC. Could NYS Parks do a better job? I suppose, but they could use more volunteers too. All in all, the NY NJ Trail Conference (http://www.nynjtc.org/) does a good job considering the amount of trail that they are responsible for. They deserve our support. Not our derision.

Appalachian Tater
11-19-2007, 19:21
All in all, the NY NJ Trail Conference (http://www.nynjtc.org/) does a good job considering the amount of trail that they are responsible for. They deserve our support. Not our derision.

Especially considering the massive project (http://www.nynjtc.org/BearMountainTrails/) underway in that area.

Incidentally, that is the oldest section of the Appalachian Trail.

Jack Tarlin
11-19-2007, 19:21
I stand by my comments. A lot of the facilities are dumps and FOR YEARS their ridgerunners and club members have done a lousy job as far as providing up to date water reports. I did this stretch seven years in a row, Mowgli, and there NEVER any improvements to speak of. When were YOU there last?

Mentioning that people aren't getting the job done is hardly "derision."

Jack Tarlin
11-19-2007, 19:26
Right, Tater, thanx for mentioning Bear Mountain. I almost died up there one summer day because the plumbing was shot and there was no water available.......and it'd been this way for quite some time, with absolutely NO prior notice for miles before one arrived there. Likewise, there were YEARS when pumps were broken or decommmissioned in NY/NJ with no notice or warning whatsoever from the local club; if it wasn't for people like Desperado putting out water jugs, someone probably WOULD have died here, especially in years like 2001.

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was talking about.

Appalachian Tater
11-19-2007, 19:33
Jack, how did the NYNJTC respond to your letters telling them of these observations? Or did they ignore your complaints?

Jack Tarlin
11-19-2007, 19:46
Tater:

I never heard from anyone in the local club.

I wrote an extended letter to the ATC in Harpers Ferry which I know was forwarded to NY/NJ officials (Laurie Potteiger can verify this as I hand delivered it to her).

They never got back to me and nothing changed. I don't blame the folks at Harpers; this was entirely a local club matter.......and an easily remedied one.

Some of this year's thrus have told me they had the same problems this year. Whoever's been running the ridgerunner program in that neck of the woods for the past decade or so needs a trip to the woodshed.

Appalachian Tater
11-19-2007, 19:56
Some of this year's thrus have told me they had the same problems this year. Whoever's been running the ridgerunner program in that neck of the woods for the past decade or so needs a trip to the woodshed.

I never met the Ridgerunner in NYNJ but the one in PA in 2006 was more interested in making religious comments and giving people a ride to town than knowing anything at all about water or the the trail. And the water situation was problemmatic in places even if not as bad as this year. Maybe they should hire a preacher and just dispense with the Ridgerunner.

Why don't you address the problem to Laurie again? These are serious issues.

weary
11-19-2007, 20:15
No shelter qualifies as being a mile long, but virtually every shelter on the trail with a fire pit, regularly has that fire pit filled with half-burned plastic and garbage. Somehow hikers think dumping stuff in the fire place is okay. It isn't.

Only rarely does a fire pit get a fire hot enough to burn the trash. And the more trash, the more unlikely a hot enough fire.

The message is -- or should be -- carry in - carry out. I've spent hours in Georgia and North Carolina cleaning out fire pits and trying to burn the trash.

Once a hiker from New Zealand interrupted my efforts. "You're polluting the air," he said. I offered a compromise. You carry out half this garbage and I'll carry out the rest. He walked away.

However, this is not strictly a southern problem. It happens up and down the trail -- even in Maine.

Weary

Lilred
11-19-2007, 20:16

There's not much more to tell. The guy doing it was dumb enough to throw stuff out that had his name on it. They got pics of him trashing the place. The local authorities weren't doing anything, and since it was on federal land, they called in the forest service. Last I heard, from Bob Peoples two years ago, they were gonna move against this guy. There was some discussion on here too if I remember right. Seems Peoples said he thought the local authorities might be kin to this guy, and that's why nothing ever happened as far as charges go. I'd be interested to know if he ever got charged by the feds or what.

Pedaling Fool
11-19-2007, 20:33
There's not much more to tell. The guy doing it was dumb enough to throw stuff out that had his name on it. They got pics of him trashing the place. The local authorities weren't doing anything, and since it was on federal land, they called in the forest service. Last I heard, from Bob Peoples two years ago, they were gonna move against this guy. There was some discussion on here too if I remember right. Seems Peoples said he thought the local authorities might be kin to this guy, and that's why nothing ever happened as far as charges go. I'd be interested to know if he ever got charged by the feds or what.
From what I've seen in this area, it's more than just one guy (I assume), just too much stuff, like washing machines, mattresses, etc... I saw it in 2006 as well as this year. If you go through this area when there's little foliage, you can really see how much trash there actually is.

General Tso
11-19-2007, 21:54
Notable: Watuga lake, section around Bear Mountain, the road walk down into the Bland, VA area, Harriman State Park in NY.

STEVEM
11-19-2007, 23:45
Tater:

I never heard from anyone in the local club.

I wrote an extended letter to the ATC in Harpers Ferry which I know was forwarded to NY/NJ officials (Laurie Potteiger can verify this as I hand delivered it to her).

They never got back to me and nothing changed. I don't blame the folks at Harpers; this was entirely a local club matter.......and an easily remedied one.

Jack, You shouldn't feel too bad. I'm a member of the NYNJTC and have made phone calls and sent several emails trying to volunteer to adopt and maintain a small section of any trail near my home. I received absolutely no response. I can only assume they need the help since every newsletter I receive includes appeals for trail maintainer volunteers. I bet they'd have called quick if I said I wanted to discuss estate planning with them.

Nearly Normal
11-20-2007, 03:46
I visited Elk River Falls once. The Falls and swimming hole are great and on Federal land, I think. It was clean.
The road to it was off 19E and I have never seen so much yard trash.
Bed springs, old cars etc..
Great place to visit but an eye opener getting there.

Nearly Normal

RITBlake
11-20-2007, 10:46
I've hiked about 200 miles of the Long Path in bits and pieces during the past year or so. Over the past few weekends I've been filling in some small missing sections here and there.

Other then this isolated section how are you finding the Long Path. It is literally behind my house but I've only day hiked on it in my area. Well marked?

I imagine the 15 or 20 miles that shadow the Palisades are the most garbage strewn?

RITBlake
11-20-2007, 10:56
The nastiest section I can think of is immediately adjacent to the William Brien shelter in New York. It's a garbage-strew pisshouse and it looks like it hasn't been properly cleaned since the 12th century.

Is that the shelter w/ is built in to a big rock wall? Like the back of the shelter is a rock.

Not a great area, Jack is right, I section hike here quite a bit and I happily walk past this shelter, as the shelter is pretty disgusting and there is little to no water.

I walk past, get water at the state park beach, and then walk back up to camp in the beautiful grassy hillside at the next shelter. (fingerboard?)

weary
11-20-2007, 11:19
Jack, You shouldn't feel too bad. I'm a member of the NYNJTC and have made phone calls and sent several emails trying to volunteer to adopt and maintain a small section of any trail near my home. I received absolutely no response. I can only assume they need the help since every newsletter I receive includes appeals for trail maintainer volunteers. I bet they'd have called quick if I said I wanted to discuss estate planning with them.
Keep in mind that these are mostly volunteer organizations. A volunteer works as corresponding secretary. Think of all the things that might have happened. The volunteer may have been sick, out of the country, having family troubles, had quit and no replacement had been found .... the list is endless.

Weary

Cosmo
11-20-2007, 12:47
I second all comments about the Brien Shelter. A pretty gloomy place. I stopped there briefly in the rain this July, but had no interest in spending any time there. Popeye, Lightweight and some others did spend the night--and ate a good portion of the industrial sized containers of Mac and Cheese that was left there. The next shelter south (Fingerboard) was in a very plesant location, but could have used some repairs.

Of my hike between High Point and Mass this summer, the trashiest section of trail was just before (south of) the AT train station near Rt 22 in NY. The trail was mostly pallets, cinderblocks and trash put there to keep hikers out of the swamp. I've heard since that NY/NY/ATC is planning a boardwalk of some kind over this wetland.

Cosmo

RITBlake
11-20-2007, 13:30
The trail was mostly pallets, cinderblocks and trash put there to keep hikers out of the swamp. I've heard since that NY/NY/ATC is planning a boardwalk of some kind over this wetland.

Cosmo

When did you hike through there, for a week or two this Summer after very heavy rains this stretch was completly flooded over. We were walking in a knee deep water for about a 1/4 mile.

MOWGLI
11-20-2007, 13:36
Jack, You shouldn't feel too bad. I'm a member of the NYNJTC and have made phone calls and sent several emails trying to volunteer to adopt and maintain a small section of any trail near my home. I received absolutely no response.

You received no response to your phone calls? They have an office with a staff. Didn't you reach a warm body? I suggest you try again. Ask to speak to their Trails Director Larry Wheelock (201-512-9348 ext 16). If that doesn't work, ask to speak to their Executive Director Ed Goodell (201-512-9348 ext 12).

Regarding water, IMO the club has better things to do with their time than post water reports. Off the top of my head, there are three permanent bodies of water off the trail between Rte 17 and the Palisades Parkway. That's an 11 mile stretch that includes both William Brien and Fingerboard shelters, neither of which has any water. That includes (from south to north) Island Pond, Lake Tiorati, and Silvermine Lake. Island Pond is visible from the trail. Lake Tiorati is .3 off the trail, and Silvermine is a mile off the trail. Those lakes are going nowhere, even in a serious drought. Lake Tiorati also has a swimming beach and vending machines during the summer. There should be a pay phone by the traffic circle too.

Regarding questions about how much time I have spent in Harriman State Park... let's just say that it's considerable, and leave it at that. :)

A-Train
11-20-2007, 14:44
Accusing the "ridgerunners" of doing a shotty job and for neglecting to provide a water report in NJ is foolish and pointless-there is no NY ridgerunner employed, and there hasn't been for a long time as far as I know.
Not sure exactly why but the club chooses to employ 3 ridgerunners in NJ instead. Besides for the heavily used Delaware Water Gap NRA, the rest of the state gets minimal use. I can assuredly tell you that in 2005 we had a detailed water report printed at several trailheads and trail businesses for the hikers, and I assume they've followed suite in 06' and 07'.

I echo Mowgli's comments. Call Larry if your so concerned. He's a pretty reasonable guy, i'm sure he'd be able to field questions and provide some sort of explanation.

You guys need to come out to Harriman in fall/winter-it's actually a beautiful park without opressive heat and having nice fall colors.

MOWGLI
11-20-2007, 14:59
Of my hike between High Point and Mass this summer, the trashiest section of trail was just before (south of) the AT train station near Rt 22 in NY. The trail was mostly pallets, cinderblocks and trash put there to keep hikers out of the swamp. I've heard since that NY/NY/ATC is planning a boardwalk of some kind over this wetland.

Cosmo

When I hiked through there, Phragmites was across much of the trail. Turns out the maintainer for that section was from Brooklyn, and hadn't been out in a while.

What I recall most from that section was finding a Wood Turtle along the trail. It was the only one I saw the entire length of the AT.

STEVEM
11-20-2007, 15:33
You received no response to your phone calls? They have an office with a staff. Didn't you reach a warm body? I suggest you try again. Ask to speak to their Trails Director Larry Wheelock (201-512-9348 ext 16). If that doesn't work, ask to speak to their Executive Director Ed Goodell (201-512-9348 ext 12).

Regarding water, IMO the club has better things to do with their time than post water reports. Off the top of my head, there are three permanent bodies of water off the trail between Rte 17 and the Palisades Parkway. That's an 11 mile stretch that includes both William Brien and Fingerboard shelters, neither of which has any water. That includes (from south to north) Island Pond, Lake Tiorati, and Silvermine Lake. Island Pond is visible from the trail. Lake Tiorati is .3 off the trail, and Silvermine is a mile off the trail. Those lakes are going nowhere, even in a serious drought. Lake Tiorati also has a swimming beach and vending machines during the summer. There should be a pay phone by the traffic circle too.

Regarding questions about how much time I have spent in Harriman State Park... let's just say that it's considerable, and leave it at that. :)

Indeed the phone was answered, my name was taken and I was assured I would be contacted by the appropriate person. Nothing happened. Maybe I'll try again. For the record, I feel that the NYNJTC does a great job.

Water and pumps are BJ's issue, I'm a dayhiker and always bring plenty from home.

The section of LP that I mention is probably the only piece of public land available to connect the Palisades Interstate Park to Harriman State Park. Its not hikers or locals trashing the place, its the commuters. It seems unreasonable to me to expect any trail volunteer to clean the shoulder of an interstate highway.

Harriman Park is indeed a beautiful and heavily used park. Most of the trash you see there came in the trunk of a new BMW, not in the bed of a rusty pick-up.

MOWGLI
11-20-2007, 15:56
The section of LP that I mention is probably the only piece of public land available to connect the Palisades Interstate Park to Harriman State Park. Its not hikers or locals trashing the place, its the commuters. It seems unreasonable to me to expect any trail volunteer to clean the shoulder of an interstate highway.

Steve, for the record, I drove past the trail on the PIP at least 2 times a week for 14 years during my daily commute from Warwick to Pearl River. My preferred route took me over Rte 17A where the trail crosses about 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter. At least once a week I would drive through Harriman Park on my way to & from work. It was my favorite route when I worked the night shift, as I could drive through the park on my way home in the early AM and get out and hike, bird, or fish, depending upon my mood.

I'm sure glad I no longer have to drive 40 miles one-way to my job. That was a drag, but it was nice to intersect with the AT every day.

STEVEM
11-20-2007, 16:14
Steve, for the record, I drove past the trail on the PIP at least 2 times a week for 14 years during my daily commute from Warwick to Pearl River. My preferred route took me over Rte 17A where the trail crosses about 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter. At least once a week I would drive through Harriman Park on my way to & from work. It was my favorite route when I worked the night shift, as I could drive through the park on my way home in the early AM and get out and hike, bird, or fish, depending upon my mood.

I'm sure glad I no longer have to drive 40 miles one-way to my job. That was a drag, but it was nice to intersect with the AT every day.

I've been driving for 35 years and have never thrown anything from my car. I'm sure the same is true for you. It seems like there's still a lot of people who "just don't get it".

I will admit to contributing a deer or two to the roadside ecology. Fourteen years on that route, I'd say you have also.

MOWGLI
11-20-2007, 16:18
I've been driving for 35 years and have never thrown anything from my car. I'm sure the same is true for you. It seems like there's still a lot of people who "just don't get it".

I will admit to contributing a deer or two to the roadside ecology. Fourteen years on that route, I'd say you have also.

Ditto that. I killed a deer in downtown Tuxedo on my way home at midnight. That's about 5 miles south of the AT. It jumped out from behind the liquor store. True story.

Flotsam
11-21-2007, 14:55
he was mad about the imminent domain Um, just FYI, it's eminent domain, not "imminent". ;)

Gaiter
11-21-2007, 15:28
damn spell check:-? , thanks