PDA

View Full Version : Clingmans to Fontana?

padlnrun
11-18-2007, 07:38
I'm planning this hike starting the day after Thanksgiving. Do you think it will be crowded at the shelters this time of year and also what and where do I get a permit to be legal? One other question is how many days should I allow for this hike?

Lone Wolf
11-18-2007, 08:32
no it won't be crowded. go here www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm Sugarlands Visitor Center is where you get a permit. It's 32 miles from Clingmans to Fontana. I would take 3 days

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-18-2007, 09:03
Echoing what LW said and reminding you the mountains get much colder than the lowlands. Be sure you are prepared. Check at the link LW provided to be sure both Hwy 441 (Newfound Gap Rd) and the spur to Clingmans Dome are open. The roads are closed frequently during the winter due to ice / excessive snow.

Egads
11-18-2007, 09:14
Padlnrun,

I will see you on the trail. It's the same hike I will be doing that weekend. The rangers are discourging people from hiking this section of the AT. They told me there is no water in the 22.9 miles between Derrick Knob & Fontana. There should be water off the AT at Eagle Creek ~1.5-2 miles off the AT.

FD is right about the temps. It hit 10* up there this week.

Contact me to compare notes & work out a car shuttle.

Egads

Hikes in Rain
11-18-2007, 11:11
Did that trip (well, from Newfound Gap) this time last year. As it's been said, it gets darned cold up there! Also, because the views are tremendous, plan on taking extra time just for taking them in. Also note that lately it's been real, real dry up there; don't pass up any source! I envy you; I'll be there in spirit, though.

SouthMark
11-18-2007, 18:03
Did that section the same time in 1982. Called to make my reservations and had to reverse directions (Fontana to Clingman,s) because the shelters were full the nights that I needed them going from Clingman's to Fontana. My first night at Mollies Ridge shelter was full. The weather started out hot until the second night at Spence Field. A front moved in with gale force winds. Almost had to crawl over Thunderhead and Rocky Top the next morning. Temps dropped and so did the snow but of course it was a great trip. Just lucky our shuttle could still get to Clingman's Dome. Have a safe and good trip.

baxter
11-18-2007, 21:28
I just did a 5 day hike thru the Smokies, better check out the water situation, it's dry foor like 23 miles on the AT
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm
From the website:
Water Problems - No water available at the following areas:
• Water sources are dry on the Appalachian Trail from the Fontana Visitor Center to Derrick Knob Shelter—a distance of 23 miles.
• Backcountry Campsites 4, 5, 6, 7, 16, 19, 21, 26, 27, 35, 38, 42, 113
• Mollies Ridge Shelter
• Russell Field Shelter
• Spence Field Shelter
• Silers Bald
• Double Spring Gap

We ended up re-routing our trip down to the Benton MacKaye Trail, so we would have water.

CaptChaos
11-20-2007, 00:00
Hello:

I went up from Cades Cove to Spence Field the first week of October and there was no water to be found anywhere after passing the wild campsite and then starting the journey up Anthony Creek trail to Bote Mtn to Spence Field. The shelter was fine but the spring at Spence Field was bone dry. Someone had pulled the pipe out of the Spring and left it lay along the trail. But it was the first time in 10 years that I have ever not seen water at Spence Field Shelter.

John "CaptChaos" Knight
Bowling Green, KY USA