PDA

View Full Version : Pay phones?

Bootstrap
11-18-2007, 08:26
I'm taking a wilderness medicine first responder course at the Red Cross, and our book makes a suggestion I remember from my youth: always bring change for pay phones.

Do pay phones still exist near trails we're likely to be on? If you're planning to go somewhere, is there any way to find where pay phones would be in advance?

To me, the idea of bringing change in case you happen on a pay phone is a little outdated, no?

Jonathan

oops56
11-18-2007, 08:33
Not sure but superman has a hard time now days to find one:D

mrc237
11-18-2007, 08:34
Get a prepaid phone card

Lone Wolf
11-18-2007, 08:36
there's still plenty of pay phones in every trail town. here in Damascus there are 7 of them. cell phones are like shelters. never count on them.

Minerva
11-18-2007, 08:59
Pay phones are like shelters....never count on them.

MrsG

Lone Wolf
11-18-2007, 09:01
Pay phones are still everywhere. Count on them.

Lyle
11-18-2007, 09:15
The last two times I needed to use a pay phone I had to buy a pre-paid phone card. Of about 6 phones I tried (all in PA) none of them would accept coins. They had coin slots, but were blocked. Only phone or credit cards could be used. This was over the last few years.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-18-2007, 09:27
It's easier to find a tent with a cell phone than a shelter with a pay phone. (Survey data north of Rockfish Gap)

Appalachian Tater
11-18-2007, 12:14
My understanding is you can dial 911 in 911 areas without a coin or calling card number, just like you can dial 911 from any working cell phone, even if you don't actually have service.

Footslogger
11-18-2007, 12:17
I'm taking a wilderness medicine first responder course at the Red Cross, and our book makes a suggestion I remember from my youth: always bring change for pay phones.

Do pay phones still exist near trails we're likely to be on? If you're planning to go somewhere, is there any way to find where pay phones would be in advance?

To me, the idea of bringing change in case you happen on a pay phone is a little outdated, no?

Jonathan

==========================================

Pay phones are an edangered species. That said, it never hurts to carry a couple quarters just in case.

Just a suggestion ...take a couple quarters and stick them in your First Aid kit. At least that's what I do. That said, those quarters have been there for a really long time.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
11-18-2007, 12:20
==========================================

Pay phones are an edangered species.

not in any AT trail towns

Pacific Tortuga
11-18-2007, 12:24
I used them all the time. Phone card's that you can call and up the minutes w/cc is the way to go. ++ you can use the phone cards at a private residence and not run up their bill.
Not everyone is as nice as TOW and let you call anywhere from his phone.

But I did hear L.Wolf will let you call anywhere, on TOW's phone too. :)

Uncle Silly
11-18-2007, 12:50
It's easier to find a tent with a cell phone than a shelter with a pay phone. (Survey data north of Rockfish Gap)

I'm not sure why you'd need a cell phone to find a tent. Or how a pay phone would help you find a shelter.

Lyle
11-18-2007, 13:22

Duncannon was where I had to purchase the Phone Card. Two phones near the Doyle were out of order, the other one (the convenience store by the overpass coming into town from the south) required a phone card.

Blissful
11-18-2007, 13:26
Some towns have no pay phones. Like Salisbury, CT. And no cell phone coverage. It depends on where you will be.
I needed change to call at the pay phone at Abol Bridge. I carried a cell phone and a calling credit card. It's very infrequent but I found it was good to have a little spare change. Also good for soda machines on those hot days.

Blissful
11-18-2007, 13:28
Duncannon was where I had to purchase the Phone Card. Two phones near the Doyle were out of order, the other one (the convenience store by the overpass coming into town from the south) required a phone card.

Yeah Duncannon was a pain. I had to call from the pay phone near the bar at the Doyle, thankfully it wasn't too noisy. That was after we walked all around town looking for one.

Sly
11-18-2007, 13:40
For short calls, with a phone card, it's easy enough to ask businesses. Most are happy to oblige.

Grampie
11-19-2007, 11:16

Wolf..Hate to disigree but; Went to Port Clinton and found no pay phone. Only one in town is at the hotel and it was closed on mondays. Went to use the phone at the Willey House, in Crawford Notch, and it had been removed.
That was in 2001.

Lone Wolf
11-19-2007, 11:51
Port Clinton has never had one. There's still plenty of access to pay phones up and down the AT

CaseyB
11-19-2007, 12:01
Just carry a phone card, that way you can call from any place that has a phone and people nice enough to let you use it.

Sly
11-19-2007, 12:06
Port Clinton has never had one. There's still plenty of access to pay phones up and down the AT

I thought there was one in front of the PO? Maybe not.

max patch
11-19-2007, 12:18
I thought there was one in front of the PO? Maybe not.

There was a pay phone outside the hotel. I remember using it to call Camptrails when a part they promised to mail me wasn't at the PO.

Minerva
12-03-2007, 20:43
Just thought I'd share this newstory I just read about AT&T getting out of the pay phone industry.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Top U.S. phone company AT&T Inc said on Monday it plans to end its dwindling pay phone business by the end of 2008, as more consumers use mobile phones.

The move affects AT&T pay phones in the company's previous 13-state service area, including California and Texas. BellSouth Corp, which AT&T acquired late last year, has already exited the pay phone business in its nine-state service area.

Pay phones in the United States have declined across the industry from about 2.6 million phones in 1998 to an estimated 1 million phones today, AT&T said.

The use of pay phones has been declining in much of the developed world due to the popularity of mobile phones. But some complain that ending pay phone service restricts low-income, low-credit consumers' access to communications.

AT&T has grown its profit in recent years, as strong sales from its mobile phone and Internet business make up for a fall in traditional phone use.

(Reporting by Ritsuko Ando, editing by Gerald E. McCormick)

The Appalachian Trail states this will affect are GA, NC, TN and CT.:cool:
MrsG

Pedaling Fool
12-03-2007, 20:59
Yeah, it won't be too long until you come up on a pay-phone and and snap a picture of it, for the sake of nostalgia; not unlike how I take pictures of non-digitalized gas-pumps.

Appalachian Tater
12-03-2007, 21:01
In urban areas, payphones are still big business. Not because people use them to make calls, but because they put advertisements on the enclosure. It's disgusting. The corner nearest my apartment has 8 pairs of payphones, 2 pairs on each corner, 16 phones total, and of course I've never seen anyone talking on any of them, but I'm usually too busy dodging all the cellphone zombies to notice.

A few days ago I asked the clerk behind the counter at a drugstore in New Jersey if there was a payphone around. She got a puzzled look on her face, tilted her head to the side a little bit, said "A payphone?" like she wasn't sure what one was. Then I demonstrated a phone and she understood, but it was obvious she had no idea where one was, and had never used one.

SGT Rock
12-03-2007, 21:03
This is the reason I went from very anti-cell phone to tolerant.

Summit
12-03-2007, 21:42
Announcement by AT&T today (Engadget) that they are getting out of the pay phone business. That will virtually eliminate them in the Southeast.

Kirby
12-03-2007, 21:59
Maine, at one point, was looking to pass a law requiring a certain number of pay phones per X number of people, I dont think it got anywhere, I will look into it.

Kirby

astrogirl
12-03-2007, 22:59
Yeah, it won't be too long until you come up on a pay-phone and and snap a picture of it, for the sake of nostalgia; not unlike how I take pictures of non-digitalized gas-pumps.

The East Coast in Front Royal has non-digitalized gas pumps. You have to pay inside, so they have the cheapest gas in town.

Summit
12-03-2007, 23:42
If you want to save a nostolgic pic, here's the article link with a nice one.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/03/atandt-to-hang-up-its-pay-phones/

Pedaling Fool
12-03-2007, 23:46

That makes me feel old. There are some on here that have never used one of those.

Summit
12-04-2007, 00:08
Yeah, I've abused - I mean used a few in my lifetime! :D :p

Summit
12-04-2007, 00:11
I like what one commenter said on Engadget:

"How will one now escape from the Matrix?"

or where will Superman don his cape? :D

Bootstrap
12-04-2007, 00:59
If you want to save a nostalgic pic, here's the article link with a nice one.

Honestlly, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find a good place to change into my tights and cape.

Jonathan

The Mechanical Man
12-04-2007, 01:22
Earl Shaffer changed into the "Crazy One" while hiking on the trail in "48", "65", and "98", he did not have problems with cell phones, pay phones, or phone booths, and calling cards.
MY HERO

take-a-knee
12-04-2007, 01:36
Earl Shaffer changed into the "Crazy One" while hiking on the trail in "48", "65", and "98", he did not have problems with cell phones, pay phones, or phone booths, and calling cards.
MY HERO

That means he was unable to move, shoot, and communicate...not good.

WalkinHome
12-04-2007, 10:34
I agree with Blissful on carrying change. I usually had about $2.00 worth of change just in case a soda machine popped up. Them dollar slots don't always work and coins will-exact change etc. Worked for me a number of times. That caffeine rush was great!!

Flush2wice
12-04-2007, 10:58
I agree with Blissful on carrying change. I usually had about $2.00 worth of change just in case a soda machine popped up. Them dollar slots don't always work and coins will-exact change etc. Worked for me a number of times. That caffeine rush was great!!
There used to be vending machines right on the Virginia Creeper Trail. Anyone know if they are still there?

EWS
12-04-2007, 10:58

My parents have one of those in their kitchen. I rigged it up so you can make calls on it.

Lone Wolf
12-04-2007, 10:59
There used to be vending machines right on the Virginia Creeper Trail. Anyone know if they are still there?

nope. gone. but there are 2 cafes and a small store

NICKTHEGREEK
12-04-2007, 11:12
Pay phones can still be a very lucrative enterprise, but like real estate Location. Location, Location are the big 3. Several convenience stores in NOVA have added pay phones outside to accomodate folks who buy pre-paid phone cards to call back to central America.
They are making profit on all ends of the transaction.

WalkinHome
12-04-2007, 12:39
My parents have one of those in their kitchen. I rigged it up so you can make calls on it.

FYI that is a 236G multi-slot pay station. Took care of these babies way back in 197...&^*&%..4. You could short out the handset cord with a pin and bring up dialtone (in some areas) put in a nickle and smack the phone in a timely manner and get your call for half price (when it cost a dime) and have all kinds of fun with them. Retired-sleep now.

Christopher Robin
12-04-2007, 19:08
As a B@G scout I all way have ciones in the First Aid kit This year I did solo backpacking and my out of the nest kids insidted I carry one of the chepe pre. payed cell phones. The phone cost $14.00 and the card cost $9.00 for thirty mins. Not bad, only used it once, I thourght I will be able to use it when I start SOBO end of May. Making call for resavation as I get to the road instead or for stores @ O.P. info.

hammer
12-04-2007, 22:28
AT&T is ending their payphone business in 2008. I am sure someone will continue to service pay phones.

See these links

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQM01203122007-1.htm

http://www.telephonetribute.com/payphones.html