PDA

View Full Version : Parking near NJ/NY Border

Todd Heyn
11-18-2007, 11:47
We are in the process of planning a Scouting Trek across the AT in NJ between June 28th and July 6th of 2008. We are anticipating a total of 20 people split into two crews. One will start at the Delaware Water Gap and go North and the other will start in NY and head south. We would like to be able to park vehicles at each end and just exchange keys as we pass on the trail in the middle. Is there a convenient place to park somewhere near the NY/NJ border. I know that 17A is the closest road crossing in NY but I have also been told that there is no parking there. What would your suggestions be?

Please no slams on Scouts on the trail. We will be staying in tents and not trying up the shelter space.

STEVEM
11-18-2007, 12:07
We are in the process of planning a Scouting Trek across the AT in NJ between June 28th and July 6th of 2008. We are anticipating a total of 20 people split into two crews. One will start at the Delaware Water Gap and go North and the other will start in NY and head south. We would like to be able to park vehicles at each end and just exchange keys as we pass on the trail in the middle. Is there a convenient place to park somewhere near the NY/NJ border. I know that 17A is the closest road crossing in NY but I have also been told that there is no parking there. What would your suggestions be?

Please no slams on Scouts on the trail. We will be staying in tents and not trying up the shelter space.

There's plenty of parking at the DWG, I'd say it's generally a safe area. At the northern end, there is parking at 17A but I'm not sure long term (6-7 days) is allowed, or a good idea. Maybe you could cut your hike a few miles short and park at Waywayanda State Park. The park office is nearly on the trail (if they'll let you park there).

Cookerhiker
11-18-2007, 12:14
Echo SteveM's suggestion to park at Waywayanda. There's space at 17A but I wouldn't leave a car there for several days.

Cookerhiker
11-18-2007, 12:17
..... We will be staying in tents and not trying up the shelter space.

Along the Kittitinny Rodge in Stokes State Forest, are you planning to tent by/near the shelters? I believe camping between shelters or designated campsites is prohibited in this stretch.

LIhikers
11-18-2007, 21:50
Near the NJ/NY border, you might be able to find some place in the town of Greenwood Lake that would let you leave your car in their lot. Then you can just hike up the Stateline Trail which will take you to the AT.

Johnny Thunder
11-18-2007, 21:59
I agree that there is parking in Waywayanda and would be less than 1 to 1.5 miles from the trail. Also, starting there will rid you of the repugnant idea of staying anywhere near the Waywayanda pond (stagnant and gross), Shelter (no water), or general vicinity (smelly).

Panzer1
11-19-2007, 20:38
I agree that there is parking in Waywayanda and would be less than 1 to 1.5 miles from the trail. Also, starting there will rid you of the repugnant idea of staying anywhere near the Waywayanda pond (stagnant and gross), Shelter (no water), or general vicinity (smelly).

Hay, didn't you guys drink that water from the pond the last time you went thru there??

Panzer

Panzer1
11-19-2007, 20:48
Check this link for info about parking.
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

ps. you do have to register for overnight parking Waywayanda State park.

Panzer

Todd Heyn
11-19-2007, 21:17
That is a great website. That is exactly what I was looking for. It will help a great deal when we start the detail planning for the trek next summer.

STEVEM
11-19-2007, 23:53

Johnny, Next time use the faucet on the outside east wall of the park office.

Johnny Thunder
11-20-2007, 10:34
Johnny, Next time use the faucet on the outside east wall of the park office.

Steve,

I am too lazy. (hahaha) As Panzer pointed out above, Matty and I both drank from the pond. When I say "drank" I meant, filled up our bottles with the intention of stealthing somewhere South East of Warwick but got some ideas when we reached the road. By "some ideas" I meant that we hitched back to my car and then night-hiked into the secret shelter. When I say "hitched" I mean that we took the road for a ride and when I say "secret shelter" I mean the place that we got to and poured out that nasty water and got some more from the electric pump. But yeah, next time I'll use the faucet.

Johnny

PS. Panzer prefers the company of smelly hikers to that of me and 'ol Matty. Enjoy Trashgiving, buddy!

faarside
11-20-2007, 11:57
There is parking available for approx. 5 vehicles where the A.T. crosses Rt. 519 in Sussex County, NJ. This is just a short distance NOBO toward the High Point Shelter, or SOBO toward High Point Monument/State Park/Ranger Station. This is about as close to the NJ/NY border as you can get! :)

Hope this helps. Happy Trails!

MOWGLI
11-20-2007, 12:09
That is a great website. That is exactly what I was looking for. It will help a great deal when we start the detail planning for the trek next summer.

Todd:

I grew up a few miles from the border. Another option would be to seek permission from Greenwood Lake Marina (http://www.greenwoodlkmarina.com/directions.htm) to leave a vehicle or two there. Then you could take the State Line Trail (http://www.localhikes.com/HikeData.ASP?DispType=1&ActiveHike=0&GetHikesStateID=&ID=4234) from the marina to the Appalachian Trail. Instead of turning off on the yellow blazed Ernest Walker Trail, stay on the State Line Trail all the way to the AT. It is on the ridge west of the Bearfort Ridge Trail.

You might have to hunt a bit for the State Line rail. It is in the woods across the road from the marina. It is towards the left hand side of the lot.

PM me if you want more info.

mfgeneral
02-29-2008, 23:53
How long do you think this hike will take? I'm planning on the same one in early June?

Todd Heyn
03-01-2008, 05:22
We are planning the hike for a total of 9 days. I could do the hike in less than that but with teenage Scouts and older adult Scouters along we are planning on some relatively easy days. The days will average about 9 miles per day.

Christopher Robin
03-01-2008, 19:14
What about other Souts in the area that could help you?

Todd Heyn
03-01-2008, 20:04
We have decided that we will have volunteer drivers drop us off and then pick us up the following week.

Jail Break
03-01-2008, 22:27
I've left my truck in the small parking lots throughout Harriman State Park in NY for up to two weeks, no problem. Other than one time I found a homeless guy sleeping in my truck bed. I started up my truck figuring he'd wake up. Then I told him I was leaving soon figuring he'd get the hint. Then I began to drive figuring he'd know I was serious. He finally got out in the Hooters parking lot in Wayne, NJ.