PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hiking in NC this dec.

whitefoot_hp
11-18-2007, 16:04
doing a hike south of the smokies. will i suffice with this sleeping gear: 1/2 inch foam, full length, 20 deg down bag, and bivy sac, balaclava. i have a down vest and some polypro i could sleep in if it got colder, in addittion to some thin thin silk thermals. does this sound like enough?

bigcranky
11-18-2007, 16:31
The weather in December varies dramatically. There have been weeks when that list would have been plenty, and other times when you might be very, very cold. Last year my partner and I were out in mid-December in Virginia, after weeks of very warm weather, and had a sudden cold front with lows around 5-F.

You list some clothing -- a down vest, some polypro long johns. Is that all you plan to bring? It'll be very dark and potentially very cold by 5 or 5:30 in the evening, and I usually take some pretty warm clothing. I can then wear that clothing to bed if needed. I take a down jacket, microfleece zip tee, fleece tights, and warm socks. If the weather forecast is cold enough, down booties go in the bag, too. Hat and mitts, of course.

OTOH, you could have a nice warm weekend. Winter weather has been funny the last few years.

Just a Hiker
11-18-2007, 16:37
The weather can vary so dramatically in that region that it's hard to plan sometimes for what you will need. That time of the year I would prepare for the worst, that way you are covered regardless of the weather. Have a good hike!

Just Jim

whitefoot_hp
11-18-2007, 16:54
im sure in the end i will just have to see how the winter is shaping up and prepare for a little worse. last january i did some hiking in GA and it felt like spring, that is until the last day.

Anumber1
11-18-2007, 17:00
Its not the most ethical practice, but if you're having doubts about your sleeping bag you can always buy a really nice/warm one brand new, and just take it back to the store after your trip.

take-a-knee
11-18-2007, 17:22
Its not the most ethical practice, but if you're having doubts about your sleeping bag you can always buy a really nice/warm one brand new, and just take it back to the store after your trip.

Oh yeah man, just knock off a 7/11 on the way to REI, or you could just get someones' credit card # and charge it to them.

Ron Haven
11-18-2007, 17:25
doing a hike south of the smokies. will i suffice with this sleeping gear: 1/2 inch foam, full length, 20 deg down bag, and bivy sac, balaclava. i have a down vest and some polypro i could sleep in if it got colder, in addittion to some thin thin silk thermals. does this sound like enough?Whitefoot,many people do it.But at times the weather can turn bad.Just a few more things to carry.A cell phone any the phone numbers of me,hike inn,and the noc ;) one of us will rescue you if there is something bad moves in.

littlelaurel59
11-18-2007, 21:55
Track the local weather reports in the days leading up to your trip, and adjust accordingly. Keep in mind that if you are at higher elevations, weather is often more severe than in the towns for which you can get reports. Be prepared. Being cold is, at the very least, uncomfortable.

A sleeping bag liner can add a few degrees of warmth to your bag, as can a few extra clothes. Eat a good warm dinner before bed. Some folks toss a nalgene (tighly closed) full of hot water in the foot of their bag.

These are just a few ways of stretching the temperature rating without adding a lot of weight or expense.

Sissygirl
11-29-2007, 19:40
I am with you. Not thinking my outfitter would appreciate that.

Tipi Walter
11-29-2007, 19:48
You didn't mention how long you'll be out and at what elevation you plan on spending most of your time. No tent? Just a bivy? If it's just for a weekend, well, almost any discomfort can be endured for a couple of nights, but if the trip stretches to 10 or 12 days, and you are planning on staying up on the high ground for part of that time, well . . .

Doughnut
11-29-2007, 20:17
I was in Southern NC Veteran's day weekend, it got cold enough to form ice in water bottles outside the tent.
I suggest either a space blanket as a ground cloth (reflects heat - lik esleeping on an electric blanket) or a thermarest,
There was a HUGE difference between a night ona blue pad and a night on a thermarest.

Egads
11-29-2007, 21:19
I was glad to have a 0* bag last Friday night.

whcobbs
11-30-2007, 15:24
whitefoot--
1/2" foam isn't really enough under you if you are camping on snow. If you take along a large plastic garbage bag, you can stuff it with dry leaves or grass, if such are available, and use this under your foam for better insulation. Others have made good points about clothing, but in addition you really should plan on what you are wearing getting wet. What will you do then? Of course there are diffent answers ( use body heat, put synthetic wets on over vapor barrior suit and inside sythetic bag; use vapor barrier bag liner and down bag; use woolies and dry in front of fire, etc) but you really do need to work it out ahead of time.
Walt

whitefoot_hp
12-06-2007, 12:04
You didn't mention how long you'll be out and at what elevation you plan on spending most of your time. No tent? Just a bivy? If it's just for a weekend, well, almost any discomfort can be endured for a couple of nights, but if the trip stretches to 10 or 12 days, and you are planning on staying up on the high ground for part of that time, well . . .

good point. ill be on about a 5-6 day hike. ill be tarping along with the bivy, a fairly large sil tarp that should allow good wind blocking.

ill be planning to camp as low as reasonably possible.