PDA

View Full Version : Liptons in a foil pouch?

saimyoji
11-18-2007, 22:16
Found a new (to me) Lipton "Sides?" that has two servings of veggies in each pouch. These are perfect for freezer bag cooking as they require boiling water only. They're in a foil pouch type package that seems as if you could just add the boiling water to the pouch. Not sure if the plastic lining would melt though. Whattaya think?

I tried the Southwest flavor. Not bad, for an instant rice meal. $0.48 at Walmart.

BigCat
11-19-2007, 00:24
i've added water straight to the package before and it worked fine. just have to watch that you don't squeeze it and spray yourself with burning water and tasty sides!

you can also add water directly to instant potato packs but it's a little difficult to mix...

gsingjane
11-19-2007, 08:13
I have liked these (extra veggies) sides a lot, much more than the regular old-style Liptons. The extra nutrition of the vegetables probably doesn't add much, but it makes me feel better psychologically!

Jane in CT

LIhikers
11-19-2007, 08:59
Is this a package of just vegetables without noodles or rice?

Creek Dancer
11-19-2007, 10:08
There are few different varieties, but I think all of the Lipton "Sides" have veggies. Good size pieces too and plenty of them! I like to use Bear Creek soups on the trail, especially the Cheddar Broccoli. I've added a few scoops of the Lipton "Sides" to my soups and it makes a really hearty meal.

I haven't tried to add water directly to the package.

Old Grouse
11-19-2007, 10:38
Those instant mashed potato packages have disappeared from my local grocery stores. I've found a couple in the bargain section, which doesn't bode well. Anybody else experiencing that?

saimyoji
11-19-2007, 10:49

No, they do have noodles or rice as well as dehydrated veggies. The southwest one I tried has black beans, green/red peppers, tomatoes, onions...etc.

sarbar
11-19-2007, 11:07
Those instant mashed potato packages have disappeared from my local grocery stores. I've found a couple in the bargain section, which doesn't bode well. Anybody else experiencing that?
The Idahoian ones? Out here they are ever popular, 8 or so years later....it might be regional?

Skyline
11-19-2007, 11:15

No. They are more starch, less veggies.

To get Just Veggies, go to: http://www.justtomatoes.com/

(Much more than just tomatoes, BTW.)

Or check out: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=40000000226&storeId=226&categoryId=13257719&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=237

Ya gets whats ya pay for . . .

Thoughtful Owl
11-19-2007, 11:56
Creek Dancer, where are you getting the Bear Creek Soups? I haven't seen them in the last 2-3 years.

Lone Wolf
11-19-2007, 12:06
Creek Dancer, where are you getting the Bear Creek Soups? I haven't seen them in the last 2-3 years.

they have them at the Food City here in Damascus

Thoughtful Owl
11-19-2007, 12:22
Thanks, I just may have to take a litte road trip down to Damascus to stock up, and spend a little time out on the trail in that neck of the woods while down there.

Creek Dancer
11-19-2007, 12:26
I buy them at Kroger or Food Lion around here. If you can't find any, let me know. I would be happy to send some to you! :D

Skyline
11-19-2007, 12:30
they have them at the Food City here in Damascus

Pretty good soups. I especially like Creamy Potato, Minestrone, Navy Bean, and Split Pea.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a single serving size so I have had to repackage them in ziplocs. It's a challenge getting the same ingredients in each ziploc bag (too much vegetables in one, too much flavor crystals in another) but it can be done if you're deliberate about it. I find the "four serving" size makes two good trail-size portions, and the "eight serving" size equates to four.

If not available in a local supermarket, they can be ordered online: http://www.sbamerica.com/BearCreek/bearcreek_product_line.htm

Creek Dancer
11-19-2007, 12:39
Yes, those are all really good. Add some dehydrated chicken and veggies and you have a good and quick meal!

I haven't seen the single serving size either. I just mix up the contents well before I scoop out what I need for the ziplock.

Pretty good soups. I especially like Creamy Potato, Minestrone, Navy Bean, and Split Pea.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a single serving size so I have had to repackage them in ziplocs. It's a challenge getting the same ingredients in each ziploc bag (too much vegetables in one, too much flavor crystals in another) but it can be done if you're deliberate about it. I find the "four serving" size makes two good trail-size portions, and the "eight serving" size equates to four.

If not available in a local supermarket, they can be ordered online: http://www.sbamerica.com/BearCreek/bearcreek_product_line.htm

Thoughtful Owl
11-19-2007, 12:42
Thanks Creek Dancer I may take you up on your offer or possibly order online. (See below)

If not available in a local supermarket, they can be ordered online: http://www.sbamerica.com/BearCreek/bearcreek_product_line.htm (http://www.sbamerica.com/BearCreek/bearcreek_product_line.htm)

My favorite had become the Cheddar Brroccoli and then the Creamy Potatoe followed by the Navy Bean. Highly recommend to anyone that enjoys soups.

Lone Wolf
11-19-2007, 12:58
Just back from Food City. They carry 6 different Bear Creek soups.

Ewker
11-19-2007, 13:01

I have found the single serving size at Big Lots

Alligator
11-19-2007, 13:26
I've seen the Bear Creek soups at Sam's Club also.

Thoughtful Owl
11-19-2007, 14:08
I have found the single serving size at Big Lots
Big Lots...the closeout store. We all know what that means.:-?

Sam's Club was the last place I was able to purchase the Bear Creek brand in my area, and I would mix well and then repack in ziplocks for single servings.