PDA

View Full Version : AT License Plate for Tennessee!

Cabin Fever
11-19-2007, 11:09
Fellow White Blazers,

My name is Jake Mitchell a.k.a. Two By. I am in the Tennessee Eastman Hiking and Canoeing Club. The ATC, TEHCC, SMHC, a former Tennessee state senator, the famous 'Model T' and others are initializing a project to develop an AT license plate program for Tennessee.

What is going on right now?
Currently, we are working on drafting the legislation so that it can be submitted to the Tennessee state senate when it reconvenes in early January. We are contacting other state senators and representatives to gain additional support for the bill. Graphic design is also underway and the final three options will most likely be shared when they become available. It is very possible that White Blazers will have the ability to vote via polling for their favorite.

What is it going to take for this thing to get going?
The project team must submit a bill (one page or less) and 3 design options to the Tennessee state senate for approval. Along with this, 1000 people must commit to purchasing a plate.

What happens with the money?
Much like the NC plate, the profits will go to the ATC for use with trail projects and anyone buying a plate will most likely receive a one year membership in the ATC.

Where do I sign up?
The project team is collecting names of people interested in purchasing a plate. To sign up, please send an email to Jake Mitchell ([email protected]) (TEHCC) or Leanna Joyner ([email protected]) (ATC) with your name, phone number(s), address and email. The steps necessary for finalizing your commitment (purchasing the plate) will be communicated when that time comes.

What else can I do to help?
Drum up support! Talk to your friends and pass along the info. The more names the merrier.

What happens next?
The next steps are for the project team to get the legislation and design options finished. Info will be passed along when it comes available.

Thank you so much for your interest. Happy hiking!

Sly
11-19-2007, 11:15
That's great. I had the NC AT plate until I movd.

Digger'02
11-19-2007, 11:31
Its Amazing what this program does for the AT in North Carolina, maybe we can build on that rivalry that helped in creating Great Smoky Mountains National Park....

......Come on you VOLUNTEERS!

expenditioner
11-19-2007, 11:56
If you havent done it already,contact Lt.Govenor Ron Ramsey.Im sure he will be in support of the bill,being a fellow northeast Tennessean.

Cabin Fever
11-19-2007, 12:42
Done. He is on board.

Bearpaw
11-19-2007, 12:43
What would I have to do to add my name to the list?

Wonder
11-19-2007, 12:44
I still don't understand why VA does not have one........

Kirby
11-19-2007, 12:58

Neither do I for Maine..

Kirby

Sly
11-19-2007, 12:59

States have diferent critera to get the plates. NC only needed 300 pre-registrants, TN needs 1000, it will take awhile. In GA I heard it's 3000. It could be done with a massive effort. Maybe when the SoRuck is over...

Alligator
11-19-2007, 13:01
States have diferent critera to get the plates. NC only needed 300 pre-registrants, TN needs 1000, it will take awhile. In GA I heard it's 3000. It could be done with a massive effort. Maybe when the SoRuck is over...It would be cool if all the states along the AT had them.

briarpatch
11-19-2007, 18:48
There is a Georgia effort already underway. They are almost up to the "looking for deposits" stage. From what I understand, that doesn't mean that the tag will get made. But its necessary to get the tag considered.

ki0eh
11-20-2007, 08:43
PA has a square dancer plate and MD has a plate for members of the Shrine temple in Cumberland. I'd hope justifying an A.T. plate would be easy, comparatively!

Lone Wolf
11-20-2007, 08:57

Virginia has over 200 different plates you can get. if you want an AT plate start here [url]www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/plates.asp

Jan LiteShoe
11-20-2007, 09:04
States have diferent critera to get the plates. NC only needed 300 pre-registrants, TN needs 1000, it will take awhile. In GA I heard it's 3000. It could be done with a massive effort. Maybe when the SoRuck is over...

Why not a drive at the Ruck?
It could be as simple as an anouncement and a sign-up sheet.

MOWGLI
11-20-2007, 09:10
Why not a drive at the Ruck?
It could be as simple as an announcement and a sign-up sheet.

Leanna from the ATC office in Asheville is attending the SORUCK. My guess is that it will arise as an issue. I emailed her yesterday and asked to be placed on the list for Tennessee.

I am personally aware of a great project that involved training Physical Education teachers near Franklin, NC about hiking, and then taking them out to Siler Bald for a hike. Partial funding for the project came from the NC AT plate program. Lots of trail projects receive funding from license plate proceeds. It's a project worthy of every hiker's/driver's support.

Cabin Fever
11-20-2007, 09:26
Leanna will be at the SoRuck. I plan on attending as well. It will be my first one!

Sly
11-20-2007, 09:28
Leanna will be at the SoRuck. I plan on attending as well. It will be my first one!

Thanks for attending, I'll put you on the name tag list. Bring what ever you want to help the TN plate drive.

Cabin Fever
11-23-2007, 20:47
Come on people! Keep the thread going and tell your friends!

Kirby
11-23-2007, 21:08
I would go to SORUCK, but it is too far away, see you all at the PARUCK perhaps.

Kirby

Lilred
11-24-2007, 12:49
I got added to the list for the plate. Hope it comes about.

The Weasel
11-26-2007, 15:18
Well, there's this guy who lives in San Francisco who has a good rep on the environment as well as being pretty well known in TN. After he picks up his Nobel maybe he'd say something about the license plate...

TW

Cabin Fever
04-03-2008, 16:11
Folks,

The plate has one more vote to go through. I plan to be at Trail Days promoting the new plate and showing off the design (still in development). We will be there collecting names of people that are interested.

Once the plate passes legislation, we will start collecting money. Once 1000 names and the money for it is collected, the state will run and send them. We have to keep the number of plates above 500.

We already have about 50 names. If you are interested, send the following information to [email protected]. We will eventually send out updates and the forms required to reserve your plate.

Name
Trail Name
Address
Phone Number
Email
Personalized plate?

Come on people! North Carolina has raised over $100,000!

zoidfu
04-03-2008, 16:21
Post a draft of the legislation so we can have a model for something to submit to our states. Please?

Rain Man
04-03-2008, 16:41
Almost, but not quite, makes me feel bad I already have a Clemson University plate!
:D
Maybe I'll suggest it to my wife, Stitch, for her car.

Rain:sunMan

chili36
04-03-2008, 22:41
I have a Friends of the Great Smoky Mountain NP tag on my Jeep, but I would buy an AT plate for my wife's car. Look foward to seeing it.

Tennessee Viking
04-04-2008, 01:34
TwoBy

What is the plate cost? Will the club see any of that? And will club members get a discount upon our next registration, like everything else...lol

Next all we need is a Bob Peoples for President bumper sticker.

JohnK
04-04-2008, 07:07
In Maryland, non-profit organizations with as few as 25 members can apply for specialty plates.
http://www.marylandmva.com/VehicleServ/SpecialtyPlates/Inform_org.asp

Cabin Fever
04-07-2008, 20:55
TwoBy

What is the plate cost? Will the club see any of that? And will club members get a discount upon our next registration, like everything else...lol

Next all we need is a Bob Peoples for President bumper sticker.

If you are coming to the Spring Dinner Meeting, you will hear all of the juicy details.

Plate profit (15$ or 35$ per, cannot remember which number) goes to ATC which sticks it in a fund for use on the AT anywhere from Fontana Dam to Damascus - "on or near the Tennessee border." That's the way the legislation was structured. It is set up just like North Carolina's AT plate. People who purchase the plate will receive one year of free membership to the ATC.

We are featuring Bob Peoples' face on the plate....(KIDDING).

Cabin Fever
04-07-2008, 21:00
Post a draft of the legislation so we can have a model for something to submit to our states. Please?

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/BILL/SB2622.pdf

That is the bill legislation. There is one place where we are changing the wording from "280 miles in its borders" to "280 miles along its borders."

Tennessee Viking
04-07-2008, 23:04
If you are coming to the Spring Dinner Meeting, you will hear all of the juicy details.

Plate profit (15$ or 35$ per, cannot remember which number) goes to ATC which sticks it in a fund for use on the AT anywhere from Fontana Dam to Damascus - "on or near the Tennessee border." That's the way the legislation was structured. It is set up just like North Carolina's AT plate. People who purchase the plate will receive one year of free membership to the ATC.

We are featuring Bob Peoples' face on the plate....(KIDDING).
I will be out at the maintenance outing that day, but I will probably miss the dinner due to another function that night.

I believe your right about the funds. They will go to us, Carolina, and Smoky clubs, but the money will have be to for strickly Tennessee side projects. But would like to see go to the Rocky Fork Tract Preservation if possible. Or may be Finish Unaka or Bust fund.

walkin' wally
04-08-2008, 07:16
Neither do I for Maine..

Kirby

I don't know the procedure is in other states but maybe because Maine requires 2000 signatures on a petition and $40,000 up front to "show interest" We just got a plate for Breast Cancer Awareness recently. That was the procedure in a article in todays newspaper

I'll guess that a Maine AT plate isn't going to happen any time soon.

Cabin Fever
04-08-2008, 08:31
I will be out at the maintenance outing that day, but I will probably miss the dinner due to another function that night.

I believe your right about the funds. They will go to us, Carolina, and Smoky clubs, but the money will have be to for strickly Tennessee side projects. But would like to see go to the Rocky Fork Tract Preservation if possible. Or may be Finish Unaka or Bust fund.

I am working on the project. I helped draft the legislation. The money can be used pretty much anywhere from Fontana to Damascus. Just like TEHCC has used North Carolina plate money to buy tools that we have used on the Tennessee side. It's a wash. The amendment is going into the legislation to say "along the borders." Just got confirmation.

We have to get 1000 paid commitments to get the plate run and then keep the number above 500.

Lilred
04-08-2008, 09:04
Maybe with the extra money from the plates they can build some privies in TN??? :)

HikerRanky
04-27-2008, 22:44
Just out of curiosity, I went to the TN State Government web site to check on the progress, and it appears to be stalled in the House.... According to the web site, it said the following:

Action def. in Transportation Committee to Omnibus Bill.

That was on February 12th, 2008.

The URL I retrieved this from was

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/asp/WebBillInfo/BillCompanionInfo.aspx?billnumber=SB2622

Cabin Fever
04-30-2008, 11:22
It's suppose to go up for final vote in the next couple of weeks. From there, the race is on to get 1000 commitments!

SGT Rock
04-30-2008, 11:52
How many do you have now?

chili36
05-01-2008, 11:43
I'll commit to buying one.

HikerRanky
05-01-2008, 13:34
I sent my information earlier to TwoBy and I'll commit to purchasing again....

Brushy Sage
05-03-2008, 19:54
It is a great program. Income from license plate sales is paying for the bear cables at shelters in the Carolina Mountain Club section of the AT (the labor is donated by CMC volunteers).

Cabin Fever
05-10-2008, 18:34
Right now, we have about 100 commitments. We are going to start our first serious marketing at Trail Days. I will be working in the ATC tent on Friday and Saturday (Hard Core Sunday and Monday).

Like Brushy said, it is a great program. The TEHCC gets to partake in NC's plate some since the our section of the trail is mostly on the TN-NC state line. The only catch is that we have to purchase the materials in North Carolina.

Maybe the Tennessee plate will help us build more shelters like Mountaineer Falls (one my all time faves).

FYI - The lack of privies in Tennessee is because lazy hikers were putting trash in them and not using them properly. How would you like to clean trash out of poop?

Cabin Fever
05-14-2008, 16:40
See all of you Trail Days! Tell your Tennessee colleagues to come by the ATC booth and sign up!

babbage
05-14-2008, 19:44
The money will be 'proposed' to go to the AT - then at the last minute it will go to some art project in downtown Nashville. Ask Knoxvillians where their money goes for their Smoky Mountain plates, or their wildlife plates - it goes to the arts council - so that special events and cerimonies can be paid for and only rich folks are invited.
When you get all done and some morons buy the plates you should post where their money actual goes. What is it called - transparency in government.

Cabin Fever
05-14-2008, 20:32
The money will be 'proposed' to go to the AT - then at the last minute it will go to some art project in downtown Nashville. Ask Knoxvillians where their money goes for their Smoky Mountain plates, or their wildlife plates - it goes to the arts council - so that special events and cerimonies can be paid for and only rich folks are invited.
When you get all done and some morons buy the plates you should post where their money actual goes. What is it called - transparency in government.

Sounds like you know little about government or license plates. Ask the ATC how much money they have gotten from the NC plate...over $200,000.

Why can't people have a little faith in the system instead of being skeptical about everything? If you are so up tight about it, just send ATC some extra money and keep your plain Tennessee plate.

zenjiryu
05-16-2008, 10:40
great Job Hiking Clubs and ATC ... If I lived in TN I would get one:banana

Digger'02
05-16-2008, 11:57
Babbage, if you want to contact the DOT and veriy my comments, more power to you. And you can rest assured that if the AT doens't get the money it has been promised from the Tenn plate that the ATC, TEHCC, SMHC will all go to the mat. But concerning the law, it is very clear on the cost sharing policies.

QuietZombie
05-19-2008, 20:20
my friend from nashville and i signed up for one at trail days. i've forwarded info on to a few other friends. hopefully this will happen.

Cabin Fever
05-22-2008, 12:22
Great news! The bill passed last night along with the Tennessee Cave Salamander specialty plate, NASCAR, NRA and some other ones (lol). We now expect to receive official instructions from the state and hopefully in the near future we will reveal the final design and start the official money collection process.

envirodiver
05-22-2008, 12:31
Great news! The bill passed last night along with the Tennessee Cave Salamander specialty plate, NASCAR, NRA and some other ones (lol). We now expect to receive official instructions from the state and hopefully in the near future we will reveal the final design and start the official money collection process.

Most excellent. Yeah I saw on this mornings news that they stayed very late last night passing stuff before they shut down for a long stretch. It's a good time to get stuff through. They want to go home bad.

Survivor Dave
05-22-2008, 12:33

I sure hope Georgia legislators will follow and get off their asses to pass the Ga. Plate bill!:-?:rolleyes::D

Lilred
05-22-2008, 17:22
Great news!! Can't wait to get one!

expenditioner
05-23-2008, 10:39
Any chance everything could be in place to purchase the tags before January 08?

Cabin Fever
05-27-2008, 09:18
Any chance everything could be in place to purchase the tags before January 08?

We need 1000 names/commitments (application and $35) for the state to start running. I really hope we can do it by the end of the year. We will need people to spread the word.

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2008, 09:54
Actually, the fear that money from these license funds will be siphoned away from the Trail seems far-fetched. I know that just a few days ago, the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club got a grant from the North Carolina fund that enabled us to feed more than 100 hungry Trail volunteers who'd just spent two long days working on the Trail north of Roan Mountain. In short, money from the state license plate fund absolutely went back to the Trail.

I have no doubt that things will work the same way in Tennessee.

I think the AT license plates are a great idea, and I think more Trail states should look into this and follow suit.

ki0eh
05-27-2008, 11:08
I think the AT license plates are a great idea, and I think more Trail states should look into this and follow suit.

Yep! Look at this list of the groups in PA that have plates, would be great to see ATC on here:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/license_plates/plate-special_org.shtml

The Solemates
05-27-2008, 11:18
keep us up to date as to availability etc...

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 11:44
Actually, the fear that money from these license funds will be siphoned away from the Trail seems far-fetched. I know that just a few days ago, the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club got a grant from the North Carolina fund that enabled us to feed more than 100 hungry Trail volunteers who'd just spent two long days working on the Trail north of Roan Mountain.

that makes no sense. money earmarked for NC should stay in NC. it shouldn't go to feed hikers in TN

Cabin Fever
05-27-2008, 11:53
that makes no sense. money earmarked for NC should stay in NC. it shouldn't go to feed hikers in TN

The Trail that they worked on was on the TN/NC border both days of Hard Core.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 12:03
The Trail that they worked on was on the TN/NC border both days of Hard Core.

even so, the money shouldn't be used to feed people

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2008, 13:49
Lone Wolf:

First of all, the money did indeed stay in North Carolina, for in receiving the money, the hiking club promised to spend the grant money in that state. And I know that they did this, because I was there when it was spent.

And while yes, the money went to feed "hikers," it should be also pointed out that these weren't just any old hikers......they were all volunteers who'd been working on maintaining and improving the Appalachian Trail, so spending money on these folks was entirely appropriate.

In times past, the hikers have been fed after this annual work project with money from the local Trail club, and from individual and group donations from other members of the hiking community. This time it came from a fund whose sole purpose was to aid the Trail. And in receiving this grant, it freed up a good bit of money for the local Trail maintaining club: That's several hundred dollars they can now spend on work gloves, tools, equipment, you name it.

I see nothing inappropriate in money from the license plate fund going to help support Trail maintenance projects. In fact, I can think of few better ways that this money can be spent. The license plate fund was designed to help the Trail, and this is exactly what it did a week and a half ago.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 13:51
i still feel it's inappropriate.

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2008, 13:52
Well, fine. Your opinion and fifty cents will buy you a newspaper.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 13:54
Well, fine. Your opinion and fifty cents will buy you a newspaper.

your opinion is *hit too

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2008, 14:05
Actually, it's not just my opinion. If one is really interested in this subject, they can Google "North Carolina license plate grant program" and you'll see that the license plate fund was absolutely designed to assist volunteer Trail projects, especially Trail maintenance projects. The Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club's post Trail Days Hardcore Project is now eight years old, and this year's event was probably the most successful yet. The ATC (which disburses the license plate funds) is an enthusiastic backer of Hardcore, and those of us that have worked on these projects for many years appreciate their support.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 14:07
grant money should be spent on equipment and tools etc. not food. i'm soon to be a volunteer rescue squad driver i will not expect to be fed or compensated for volunteering my time

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2008, 14:32
Well, the ATC, which disburses the funds, evidently disagrees with you.

I think we've kind of exhausted this one.

Incidentally, there were several North Carolina residents who participated in the Hardcore project who had the special NC A.T. plates.

I can't recall any of them voicing objections over how the grant money was being spent. :D

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 14:35
the ATC oughta do trail magic feeds with the funds too. maybe kick some $$ for billville feeds. obviously the money is only needed for food

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2008, 14:46
Actually, Billville pays its own way, and in fact has supported other feeds, like the one at Hardcore.

And in truth, Wolf had done this, too.

There's a world of difference between supporting Trail Magic parties and feeding folks who've been hauling rocks and digging out stumps for two days.

And I think Wolf knows this, too.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 14:49
There's a world of difference between supporting Trail Magic parties and feeding folks who've been hauling rocks and digging out stumps for two days.

And I think Wolf knows this, too.

i wouldn't expect to be fed especially after i just left trail days where there were all kinds of free feeds. next time ask for a $5 donation from each hiker to cover food

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2008, 14:53
Well, personally I think that donating two days' worth of manual labor is enough. And I seem to remember Wolf himself saying that he hates to see donation jars out on the tables at feeds. Seem to remember he thought it was tacky. If people WANT to donate money to such things, or if they give to a fund whose purpose is to support Trail volunteer projects, that's something else. But nah, I don't think the Hardcore folks should have to pay for their meals.

And anyone who'd seen them work, or who'd seen the work they do, would likely agree with me.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 14:56
Well, personally I think that donating two days' worth of manual labor is enough. And I seem to remember Wolf himself saying that he hates to see donation jars out on the tables at feeds. Seem to remember he thought it was tacky. If people WANT to donate money to such things, or if they give to a fund whose purpose is to support Trail volunteer projects, that's something else. But nah, I don't think the Hardcore folks should have to pay for their meals.

And anyone who'd seen them work, or who'd seen the work they do, would likely agree with me.

said nothing about a jar, get the cash when they sign up. very simple

Sly
05-27-2008, 15:00
When you work on one of the ATC trail crews meals are included, Hardcore shouldn't be much different. Prolly be simple enough to have a fund raiser at TD for Hardcore. I meant to send a donation but forgot.

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2008, 15:03
Sly's point is excellent. Lots of trail work crews provide meals for participants; in many cases, this is a tradition going back many years.

Cabin Fever
05-27-2008, 16:07
Thanks Jack for the voice of reason.

D'Artagnan
05-27-2008, 16:20
As a North Carolina driver who has had an AT plate since they became available a few years ago, I have no problem with feeding folks who do a couple days trail work. It's in keeping with why I pay extra for the plate every year.

HikerRanky
05-27-2008, 17:20
As a resident of Tennessee that jumped on board with the TN Plates since it was announced on here, I don't have any problem with the ATC giving out money to feed volunteers that work on the trails... or build privies, or purchasing land in TN to protect and preserve the trail.

Jack Tarlin
05-28-2008, 16:39
Many thanx for the kind words......can't say enough about Bob and Pat and their good friends from Tennessee Eastman. Anyone who has a beef with what they're doing........well, for starters, shut off your computer and come join them next time they go out. Do this, and chances are, you won't have much to sat about what they do with their time and limited funds. :rolleyes:

Cabin Fever
06-14-2008, 09:01
Latest Update:

The design has been finalized! WOOHOO! You can view it at the newly redesigned tehcc.org. (Shameless plug)

June 17 should be the official day that everything can start rolling to get the 1000 names. June 17 is 10 business days after the day the bill was passed which is significant because that is how long a bill that has been passed and not signed by the governor has to wait before becoming law. So, next week the team will finalize the application, news release and FAQ documents and will be posted on the ATC site.

As soon as the applications are posted, start filling those jokers out. For those that have already showed interest, we are going to give them first dibs on personalized plates. After that it will be first come, first serve. If you are one that has shown interest and want a personalized plate, let me know what you want and I will see if we can accommodate it because some have already been taken up.

expenditioner
06-14-2008, 10:28
Good to hear.Im still interested.Let me know what needs to be done to secure a tag.

Lilred
06-14-2008, 13:31
great news. great design. I'm still in as well.

excuses
06-14-2008, 22:40
Great timing as my tag is up for renewal in July.

Cabin Fever
06-16-2008, 08:02
Great timing as my tag is up for renewal in July.

You will have to renew your other tag. The plates won't go into production until we get 1000 people to apply and pay for the tag. At that piont, it could still take a couple of months. I know...I am frustrated about it too, but that's the hoops we have to go through.

EMAN
06-16-2008, 08:15
Still samey same interest here.

Cabin Fever
06-20-2008, 07:53
IT'S OFFICIALLY OUT THERE NOW FOLKS! FILL OUT YOUR APPLICATIONS. GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY!

www.appalachiantrail.org/tnlicenseplate

envirodiver
06-20-2008, 10:23
Groovy, I hope we get the 1,000 needed quickly.

Lilred
06-20-2008, 10:53
Excellent!! Now I just have to convince my husband to use my Smoky Mtn. plate. I don't think that will be difficult. Got the form printed and will have it in the mail by this Monday.

chili36
06-20-2008, 15:39
I am an application in this weekend for my wife's car. I will keep the Friends of the GSMNP tag on the Jeep.

Silver Bear
06-20-2008, 16:43
Great, I have printed the form & will mail this week end.:sun

Moonshadow03
06-20-2008, 22:12
It's great to see support for the license plate in Tenn. here! I'm hoping, too, we can get the 1,000 applications fast! Feel free to give me a ring if you have any questions: 828-254-3708 ext. 15.

mixinmaster
06-25-2008, 16:31
Sorry, but I have little time to research this thread right now........ I am a TN resident and would purchase the tag, but I was wondering when it would go into effect........ Would the 35 bucks only cover from when ever it went thru until my renewal time? In other words, luck of the draw, some people get 11 or 12 months, others 1 or 2???

Digger'02
06-26-2008, 11:10
Lets go vols! (I never thought that I would utter those words) you can do it!!!

The plate looks awesome btw. colorful and cool....

Cabin Fever
06-26-2008, 12:01
Sorry, but I have little time to research this thread right now........ I am a TN resident and would purchase the tag, but I was wondering when it would go into effect........ Would the 35 bucks only cover from when ever it went thru until my renewal time? In other words, luck of the draw, some people get 11 or 12 months, others 1 or 2???

You pay for the plate going forward so your $35 is fully used. The prorating comes into effect for the plate you currently have. For instance, I renewed my plate in June so I will be out that money.

However, the state will prorate the plate after the initial 1000. Basically, you have to take the hit (minimal hit) the first year if your plate renewal falls before the plate.

Cabin Fever
07-15-2008, 08:56
Little under a month in and we have around 25 with the marketing only just now taking off.

We have marketing packages going out to places like Mahoney's in Johnson City, Mountain Sports in Bristol, Bass Pro in Sevierville, REI in Nashville, Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Knoxville and Franklin, et al. We need this to be spread by word of mouth also. This is a no brainer if you are an AT lover. The NC plate has generated over $200k for the Trail. Hurry now if you want to get a cool personalization like SOBO, NOBO, MEGA, GAME, etc.

Rain Man
07-15-2008, 09:21
You pay for the plate going forward so your $35 is fully used. The prorating comes into effect for the plate you currently have. For instance, I renewed my plate in June so I will be out that money.

I just convinced my wife to get the TN AT plate for her car. She just last week renewed and they told her she'd get a pro-ration of that payment towards the AT plate. So, there seems to be some confusion.

In any event, my truck already has a Clemson plate, so I'm not switching to an AT plate. Sorry! But did talk my honey into it for her car (which goes to the trail as much as my truck anyway).

BTW, in TN it's a rip-off. Out of the large amount of extra money they charge for the specialty plates, only a piddling amount ($15) goes to the worthy cause. Sad, but true. If your goal is purely to support the AT, it'd be far better to send the full amount directly to the ATC, and bypass the legislators in Nashville.

Cabin Fever
07-16-2008, 11:30
BTW, in TN it's a rip-off. Out of the large amount of extra money they charge for the specialty plates, only a piddling amount ($15) goes to the worthy cause. Sad, but true. If your goal is purely to support the AT, it'd be far better to send the full amount directly to the ATC, and bypass the legislators in Nashville.

The point is to encourage sales. If I am going to have a license plate, I might as well pick a good looking one that generates funds for a cause I am vested in.

Cabin Fever
07-16-2008, 11:31
I just convinced my wife to get the TN AT plate for her car.

Thanks for getting one for your wife though!

generoll
07-16-2008, 11:36
good to see this thread getting a bump. I'm not sure just how the pro-rating will work out or when the tags will be available, but I've spent more on things that meant less to me so the check's in the mail. (honest)

Cabin Fever
07-20-2008, 22:49
good to see this thread getting a bump. I'm not sure just how the pro-rating will work out or when the tags will be available, but I've spent more on things that meant less to me so the check's in the mail. (honest)

I am about 79% sure on this so here is my best explanation on pro-rating.

When the 1000+ paid commitments are collected, the ATC will submit the information and money to the state of TN. The state will then do their thing and produce the plates. The plates will either be sent to the county clerks or the individual. Upon receipt either way, the recipient will need to pay the dues for the plate for one year. The pro rating will occur at that point. So, if your dues were $20 per year for your county and you got the new plate 6 months into your current tag's year, then you would only need to pay $10 to cover your dues for the next year for the AT plate.

Cabin Fever
07-23-2008, 09:48
I am about 79% sure on this so here is my best explanation on pro-rating.

When the 1000+ paid commitments are collected, the ATC will submit the information and money to the state of TN. The state will then do their thing and produce the plates. The plates will either be sent to the county clerks or the individual. Upon receipt either way, the recipient will need to pay the dues for the plate for one year. The pro rating will occur at that point. So, if your dues were $20 per year for your county and you got the new plate 6 months into your current tag's year, then you would only need to pay $10 to cover your dues for the next year for the AT plate.

I was right on the pro rating. Plates will be sent to the county clerks and the requestor will be sent a letter telling them to go pick it up and pay their prorated dues for 1 year going forward. Only bad news is that it takes 3-4 months for the state to produce and send out the plates after ATC turns every thing in. That sucks, but it is what we have to go through to get it going.

Cabin Fever
08-12-2008, 20:48
Thanks to everyone that has purchased a plate so far. We are definitely gaining ground. Us goofy engineers at Eastman have it plotted out - of course.

To put it in perspective, we need to get three per day.

Look at the success North Carolina has had. Saw a post that a guy just got number 6056. That is awesome. North Carolina's plate has helped Hard Core and is currently helping CMC install bear cables at their shelters.

With that said, please keep telling family and friends. I would love to have mine as soon as possible - just like you.

Hooch
08-12-2008, 21:00
Look at the success North Carolina has had. Saw a post that a guy just got number 6056....... That would be me. :D If the numbers started at 1, then not including personalized plates, there have literally been thousands sold. Add personalized plates to the mix and I'm sue that there are plenty more. I really hope that other states that are trying to get the ball rolling on this type project are met with equal success. Not only is it a great way to identify yourself as an AT hiker, but it's a wonderul, simple way to help give back just a little and support the trail in some small way.

Lost My Mind
08-12-2008, 22:11
Thanks to everyone that has purchased a plate so far. We are definitely gaining ground. Us goofy engineers at Eastman have it plotted out - of course.

To put it in perspective, we need to get three per day.

Look at the success North Carolina has had. Saw a post that a guy just got number 6056. That is awesome. North Carolina's plate has helped Hard Core and is currently helping CMC install bear cables at their shelters.

With that said, please keep telling family and friends. I would love to have mine as soon as possible - just like you.

Okay - you just need two more today. Just mailed mine off:)

Cabin Fever
08-14-2008, 09:18
Okay - you just need two more today. Just mailed mine off:)

Thanks a lot! We were initially behind schedule, but we are quickly gaining ground. Keep spreading the word!

Big Guy
08-14-2008, 18:21
mailed mine yesterday (8/13/08). Any idea on the count?

Cabin Fever
08-15-2008, 00:33
To stay on pace, we should be around 160. I think we are in the neighborhood of 135.

tripp
08-18-2008, 19:18
Sending mine in as we speak... or rather, type...

Cabin Fever
08-18-2008, 22:08
Sending mine in as we speak... or rather, type...

Muchas Gracias!

Cabin Fever
09-30-2008, 10:49
Sitting in the neighborhood of 250 applications so far. Keep spreading the word!

Footslogger
09-30-2008, 11:13
I'm pushing for an AT license plate out here in Wyoming. Biggest problem I'm running into is that no one out here knows what the AT is :-?

'Slogger

Sly
09-30-2008, 13:03
I'm pushing for an AT license plate out here in Wyoming. Biggest problem I'm running into is that no one out here knows what the AT is :-?

'Slogger

Mark, a CDT one would be awesome!

Footslogger
09-30-2008, 13:09
Mark, a CDT one would be awesome!

==================================

True ...but I haven't thru-hiked the CDT yet. Next time the Governor visits Laramie I'll bring up the idea. He's a pretty laid back outdoors kinda guy so he might get behind it.

'Slogger

TwistedToad
09-30-2008, 15:16
I'm going to print mine off tonight and send it in tomorrow.

Moonshadow03
09-30-2008, 16:04
Yay, Twisted Toad!! Thanks so much!

TwistedToad
09-30-2008, 18:30
Yay, Twisted Toad!! Thanks so much!

no thanks needed! But You're Welcome!!
:welcome

Cabin Fever
11-24-2008, 19:50
Right now, we have around 300 plates sold, but we have a long way to go to reach our goal of 1000.

Current needs:

More plates sold of course
Champions - We need more people to join our team and champion the plate. Right now we have representatives from the Tri-Cities, Nashville, Knoxville and Memphis. We need more feet on the ground.
PM me if you are interested in participating in this once in a lifetime opportunity.

EMAN
01-01-2009, 21:07
Latest report on this? I filed mine months ago, got a thank you kindly from the ATC folks, and my plates are due to expire fairly soon.

Cabin Fever
01-05-2009, 11:56
We are still working hard to get our 1000. We are in the 300s. Exact numbers unknown. However, we are getting an extension due to the economy and such. Go ahead and renew as usual. The plate is prorated whenever the AT plate comes out so no money lost.

Moonshadow03
01-05-2009, 20:05
We're at 330 as of the end of 2008. We're making progress one step at a time.

Cabin Fever
03-18-2009, 11:40
Still working on the plate folks. Got word today that the extension until 2010 has passed through the Senate and House transportation committees. That pretty much seals the deal on an extension.

We are taking the license plate roadshow to Chattanooga for the Outdoor Expo on March 28th. If you are a 'noogan, stop by and see us.

generoll
03-18-2009, 13:44
FWIW, weren't we supposed to get an ATC membership out of this?

Cabin Fever
03-23-2009, 10:34
FWIW, weren't we supposed to get an ATC membership out of this?

Yes. You should have started receiving the AT Journeys magazine and some other stuff. If you haven't, contact ATC.

This membership is only for a year.

Silver Bear
03-23-2009, 18:23
I signed up at the start, one of the first 25 or so. Seems like it took a while before I recieved my info from ATC. I think I had forgotten that I should get something, but it did show up.

rockdawg69
06-24-2009, 21:14
Okay TN hikers. It is time to get on the ball if this is going to happen. Last message I had this week was about 450 pre-sales. STILL 550 to go - approximately. I volunteered to help move this along as did many of you. Start spreading the word again. Yeeee Haaaahhh!

Moonshadow03
01-13-2010, 20:00
Great news for this project. ATC got a matching grant from Eastman Chemical Company Foundation to close the gap on this project so plates can get into production and help the Trail in Tenn. ASAP.

Right now, Tenn. A.T. license plate application is only $15 (instead of $35). The $20 difference is picked up by the foundation in its effort to help the Trail!!!

It's a great time to sign up if you're the least bit interested.

Tennessee Viking
01-13-2010, 20:13
NC only need 500 to get it rolling.

Sly
01-13-2010, 20:20
NC only need 500 to get it rolling.

Actually they only needed 300.

Sly
01-13-2010, 20:24
That would be me. :D If the numbers started at 1, then not including personalized plates, there have literally been thousands sold. Add personalized plates to the mix and I'm sue that there are plenty more.

The numbers do start at 1, or 0001. I saw it, belongs to Sam Queen, the NC Rep (D) that brought it up to the NC legislature at the request of Thru-thinker, who, on the at-l, asked about a good idea to raise money in NC for the trail, and yours truly said "license plates".

Yes, I am the man! :D

Cabin Fever
01-14-2010, 08:35
Every person from Tennessee on this site needs to get one. This plate will create funding for 270+ miles of trail. Be warned, I am going to start PMing Tennesseans to make sure they have one.

moytoy
01-14-2010, 08:48
Every person from Tennessee on this site needs to get one. This plate will create funding for 270+ miles of trail. Be warned, I am going to start PMing Tennesseans to make sure they have one.
I don't live in Tennessee anymore but have lots of family there. I'm sending e-mails today with the info I got here. Maybe some of them will consider getting on the list.

Cabin Fever
01-14-2010, 16:24
The numbers do start at 1, or 0001. I saw it, belongs to Sam Queen, the NC Rep (D) that brought it up to the NC legislature at the request of Thru-thinker, who, on the at-l, asked about a good idea to raise money in NC for the trail, and yours truly said "license plates".

Yes, I am the man! :D

My coworker who got this started will end up with AT0001. I am gettin ATHIKR.

Moonshadow03
01-20-2010, 16:02
Appalachian Trail Conservancy Offers Discounts on
Tennessee A.T. License Plates Through Eastman
Chemical Company Foundation Grant

(KINGSPORT, Tenn, January 19, 2010)—A grant from the Eastman Chemical Company Foundation is allowing the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) to underwrite discounts on the fees for the next 500 people to apply for an Appalachian Trail license plate in Tennessee.

Once 1,000 applications are received and the state begins producing tags, ATC’s share of the renewal fees will serve as a permanent funding source for the organization's work to protect and maintain the 280 miles of the Appalachian Trail in the state.

As a result of the grant, the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) license plates are now available for $15 instead of the usual $35 annual fee. Renewals will be at the standard $35 annual fee.

ATC is offering its own incentive as well, thanking people who sign up for the license plate with a one-time annual membership to the national nonprofit. Existing ATC members may give someone else the membership as a gift.

The specialty A.T. license-plate program will benefit the state’s natural resources and national treasure in several ways. It will broaden awareness for this resource by widely promoting the Trail on vehicles from Memphis to Bristol. In addition, each plate will generate $15.56 annually for ATC, supporting management of such programs as land conservation, volunteer-based trail and facilities maintenance, natural-resources management, and programs that introduce children and teachers to the A. T. in Tennessee.

The Tennessee State Recreation Plan calls the A.T. “Tennessee’s First Recreation Trail,” and the A.T. frequently receives accolades, such as “#2 of Top 10 USA Outdoor Adventures” (ABC’s “Good Morning, America” and National Geographic) and “Favorite Long Distance Trail” (by the readers of Backpacker magazine).

For more information and an application to take advantage of this offer, call ATC at (828) 254-3708 or go on line to www.appalachiantrail.org/tnlicenseplate.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is a volunteer-based organization dedicated to the preservation and management of the natural, scenic, historic, and cultural resources associated with the Appalachian National Scenic Trail in order to provide primitive outdoor-recreation and educational opportunities for Trail visitors.

rockdawg69
01-22-2010, 10:20
Great news for this project. ATC got a matching grant from Eastman Chemical Company Foundation to close the gap on this project so plates can get into production and help the Trail in Tenn. ASAP.

Right now, Tenn. A.T. license plate application is only $15 (instead of $35). The $20 difference is picked up by the foundation in its effort to help the Trail!!!

It's a great time to sign up if you're the least bit interested.

Moonshadow - heard anything on the current number of applications??? If I remember correctly, the application period was extended until mid-2010. Not sure we are going to make the 1000 required unless something big happens.

Johnny Appleseed
01-22-2010, 21:35
You can donate and get something to show for it. Great idea. Missouri needs to hurry up and finish the ozark highlands trail and adopt this program and i'll get to hike it and buy a plate. That would be the only "vanity" plate I could bring myself to buy.

Did you catch that? I just wrote a check for my butt-help build the trail I want built faster. Now I gotta make some phone calls and volunteer.

Moonshadow03
02-22-2010, 18:21
We've had a super few weeks of license plate sales. We've sold 721 so far - which puts us at just under 300 needed to make our goal!!

If you're one of the ones who has been waiting until the last minute to sign up. Now we can really use your help to close the gap and make our goal.

Lilred
02-22-2010, 19:47
So whatya all think, If I got LRED would that translate to LiLRed?? or should I just go with a random number?

Cabin Fever
02-23-2010, 09:52
LRED sounds great!

Moonshadow03
03-04-2010, 01:01
We're right on up to 744! Making quick work of the last 300!!

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 12:32
If you're one of the ones who has been waiting until the last minute to sign up. Now we can really use your help to close the gap and make our goal.

I'll nag my wife ... again. And sorry, but Clemson U. beat you to it for the tag on my pick'em-up truck. Even got (randomly, they say), the year of my graduation for the tag number, so I "ain't" givin' it up! Though, I do have an AT sticker in the window!
:)

Moonshadow03
03-26-2010, 16:51
Thanks Rain-Man: Being a raised in S.C. I understand how your allegiance to Clemson might have won out on the truck. I still hope you've sufficiently nagged your wife to get an A.T. one for her vehicle.

Thought I'd give an update on the TN numbers and the GA numbers. Both need 1,00 pre-sold plates to get in production.
Tenn is at 819 as of today.
Georgia is at 712 as of today.

Moonshadow03
04-02-2010, 18:32
844 in Tenn. as of today.

Sheewwwweee! I can see the end of the road.

Rain Man
04-02-2010, 21:00
Thanks Rain-Man: Being a raised in S.C. I understand how your allegiance to Clemson might have won out on the truck. I still hope you've sufficiently nagged your wife to get an A.T. one for her vehicle.

Well, I found out I misspoke. My wife had already turned in her/our application for the AT tag for her/our car. So, no more nagging was necessary. WHEW.

And the Clemson tag came along a few years before the drive for the AT tags even started, so I am sticking with it on my truck, yes.
:)

Loneoak
04-14-2010, 12:56
I ordered mine yesterday. They still need over a hundred sells to make this happen

Cabin Fever
05-29-2010, 06:48
I totally forgot! Last week we broke 1000 and we are now heading towards 1100!

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:b anana

Our deadline is July 1 so we are going to wait a couple of more weeks to get more before we send in to state. Once the state receives the applications and money, it will take a few months to get the design approved and make the plates. Once the plates are made, they will be sent to local DMVs and applicants will be notified to come get their plates.

THANKS to everyone that signed up and/or told friends about this! The AT in Tennessee will have a steady revenue stream for years to come.

Rain Man
05-29-2010, 09:41
I totally forgot! Last week we broke 1000 and we are now heading towards 1100!...

THANKS to everyone that signed up and/or told friends about this! The AT in Tennessee will have a steady revenue stream for years to come.

WONDERFUL! My wife and I were just wondering about the status this week, when we parked next to a vehicle with an AT sticker and wished we had her AT license plate. Not to mention, her renewal form arrived in the mail this week.

l0ngterm
05-29-2010, 10:16
WooHoo. Can't wait for mine. Getting ready to renew the old tag but it will be money well wasted once I get the AT tag.

l0ngterm

Cabin Fever
05-29-2010, 22:46
WooHoo. Can't wait for mine. Getting ready to renew the old tag but it will be money well wasted once I get the AT tag.

l0ngterm

Money won't be wasted! When the plate is sent to the DMV, they will prorate your next year's rates since you have already paid some of them.

SGT Rock
05-30-2010, 22:09
Sweet. FINALLY!

trekkngirl
10-20-2010, 12:11
Just got my Tennessee Applachian Trail license plate.It sure is pretty.:banana

HikerRanky
10-20-2010, 12:27
I tried to go get my plate this morning in Sumner County and was informed that they won't go on sale until 11/1/10. Something about the software that the county uses wouldn't allow them to put it into the system as available for sale.

Randy

MyFeetHurt
10-21-2010, 10:09
Picked mine up this morning, and it looks really sharp. To be honest, I think I like the design better than my older NC plate. Well-done.

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-21-2010, 11:03
Picked mine up this morning, and it looks really sharp. To be honest, I think I like the design better than my older NC plate. Well-done.

Saw Bob People's plate in Damascus on 10/14. Would it surprise you to know he got his a day early.., figures:).., he deserves it. They look great, we need one for my state.

Speakeasy TN
10-21-2010, 17:26
YeeHaaaa! I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow. Good Stuff

Bearpaw
10-24-2010, 13:17
Is it possible to get an AT plate without having already submitted the paperwork from this thread? My plate is due in February. Could I go to the DMV and request an AT plate from there?

10-K
10-24-2010, 13:27
Is it possible to get an AT plate without having already submitted the paperwork from this thread? My plate is due in February. Could I go to the DMV and request an AT plate from there?

Here Unicoi County they told me when the plates were available to just come on down and get one... In NC I had to apply for one and it came in a few weeks. I'm guessing TN will be the same way.

Bearpaw
10-24-2010, 19:36
Here Unicoi County they told me when the plates were available to just come on down and get one... In NC I had to apply for one and it came in a few weeks. I'm guessing TN will be the same way.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Driver8
10-27-2010, 00:15
Fellow White Blazers,

My name is Jake Mitchell a.k.a. Two By. I am in the Tennessee Eastman Hiking and Canoeing Club. The ATC, TEHCC, SMHC, a former Tennessee state senator, the famous 'Model T' and others are initializing a project to develop an AT license plate program for Tennessee.

I'm glad to hear of this and wish you success. I'd love to see this happen here in Connecticut, too. Will pass the word on.

Cabin Fever
10-28-2010, 16:09
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs076.ash2/37148_586450476908_52701174_33567530_5198419_n.jpg

10-K
10-29-2010, 18:23
I went down to the courthouse today and picked up my AT plate! #2214.

They keep them on hand - I didn't even have to apply for it like I did in NC.

I may or may not get one personalized with my trail name. I tried it with NC and the misspelled it!!!

Bearpaw
12-16-2010, 17:19
My wife and I got our AT plates today. No waiting.

Rain Man
06-29-2011, 16:37
I can finally hold my head up in public now. My wife's plate expires this month and she finally got her new AT plate today. I was so ashamed before! :)

10-K
06-29-2011, 16:41
I can finally hold my head up in public now. My wife's plate expires this month and she finally got her new AT plate today. I was so ashamed before! :)

Dang, and you got 0550! I got mine almost a year ago and got 2014 or something... Nashville must hoard them or something... :)

Rain Man
06-30-2011, 09:03
Dang, and you got 0550! I got mine almost a year ago and got 2014 or something... Nashville must hoard them or something... :)

I am guessing they indeed are hoarded for each applicant, according to the order ordered? You'll just have to eat your heart out, I suppose! ~wink~ LOL

I did even better with my Clemson plate on my pick-up truck. Got number 0075, which is the year I graduated. That was sweet! :)

Rain Man

delaford321
06-30-2011, 17:07
I didn't even know these existed! About to reregister in TN. I know what I'm getting!