PDA

View Full Version : ATC Reorganization Plan approved

TJ aka Teej
12-03-2003, 16:34
From http://www.appalachiantrail.org/trailnews/index.html

Board Approves Reorganization Plan, Added Staff, New Emphases
The Appalachian Trail Conference Board of Managers has adopted a bold and ambitious plan to restructure the organization to better protect and manage the Appalachian Trail. The plan emphasizes strategies to raise ATC's profile with the hikers and the general public, better connect it to the volunteers in the affiliated clubs who handle most of the day-to-day, on-the-ground Trail work, and increase stable sources of future income to support its mission.
The strategic plan was endorsed by a 25-2 vote during a meeting on November 22 outside Shepherdstown, W.Va. The vote marked the end of the planning phase of a process that dates to 1991 but was accelerated a year ago when ATC and the National Park Service's Appalachian Trail Park Office began a joint planning project. The plan calls for a major change in the governing structure of the organization, changes in the staffing structure, substantial expansion of the organization's regional presence, raising the Conference's public profile, and new emphasis on environmental-quality issues. Most of the changes described in the plan will be implemented over the next two years. Further details: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/strategic/index.html

Peaks
12-03-2003, 17:19
As one individual who was very involved with the Bienneal meeting held in July 2003, I certainly see the need for changes. Let's hope they all work out well.

DebW
12-03-2003, 18:28
I've heard comments in my club that the board reorganization is reminescent of AMC's move into the big money arena, with fundraising skills more important to the board than trail management skills. Let's hope this isn't the case. More focus on local regions and communication with local clubs is a positive step.

TJ aka Teej
12-03-2003, 18:58
I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but this sounds positive:

The plan describes seven strategies: Establish the most effective organizational structure to carry out the missions and objectives of ATC and the National Park Service's Appalachian Trail Park Office (ATPO). Expand both organization's regional presence and leadership. Strengthen support for Trail-maintaining clubs and volunteers. Expand the organizations' roles in land protection, conservation (air and water quality, resource preservation, etc.), and interpretive education. Focus on communications and a more recognized image for ATC and ATPO. Increase membership. Increase permanent funding sources for ATC.

Jack Tarlin
12-03-2003, 19:25
This is very important stuff----thanx, Teej, for bringing it to our attention.

DebW
12-04-2003, 09:16
There are no longer regional representatives on the board. The regional committees have no official vote on ATC policy. Clearly the intent is to involve the maintaining clubs more closely through the regiional committees, but how this will translate into ATC policy remains to be seen. There are certainly positive aspects to the new plan. Time will tell.

Peaks
12-04-2003, 09:30
Good point Deb.

But, when you think about the 7 objectives, much of it sounds like a duplication of what the maintaining clubs are trying to do.

But, you must admit, everyone had heard about the Appalachian Trail. Very few, other than serious hikers, know much about the Appalachian Trail Conference.

Fund raising. From what I see, ATC has a lot of learn here.

Hey Deb, got an opinion on the AMC's proposed 25% increase in dues?