PDA

View Full Version : How to repair Katadyn Hiker filter

Lellers
11-19-2007, 12:00
I stupidly leant my filter to someone who apparently didn't know how to use a water filter. (Yes, I'm stupid for not going over its use, too!) Well, after using the filter the first time, this person simply YANKED the blue connector for the intake hose at the bottom of the filter body and snapped the thing off. I suppose it was originally glued, as it looks as though there are remnants of glue on the connector. The connector is not cracked or broken, and if I try to be an octopus and hold the connector tight on the filter with one hand, and try to pump with the other, it works with minimal leakage. This leads me to believe that I can probably glue the connector back in place.

Has anyone had a broken connector on a Katadyn Hiker filter and repaired it successfully? If so, how did you repair it? Super Glue? Should I just replace the entire filter and repeat the mantra "Never lend my gear. Never lend my gear. Never lend my gear."

optimator
11-19-2007, 13:03
Try contacting Katadyn and asking them. I've broken gear before, not due to a flaw, but my stupidity. If your honest with them and they know that, they might just take care of it for you. I'm not promoting asking for a freebie, but they might be able to help.

EWS
11-20-2007, 07:16
I wouldn't use super glue to attempt a repair, it is too brittle. Epoxy is my "glue" of choice for such things.

LIhikers
11-20-2007, 20:52
I wouldn't use super glue to attempt a repair, it is too brittle. Epoxy is my "glue" of choice for such things.

And there's epoxy made just for plastic too.

Two Speed
11-20-2007, 21:56
I was gonna vote for replacing the stupid thing because the glue (or epoxy) might give up in the field. Then I realized that your filter crapping out isn't the worst gear failure that can happen and at least the mode of failure would be pretty obvious.*

Soooo, go for it. Try to find the most compatible epoxy/glue, follow the instructions to a fault and see what happens.

* A more subtle failure like a ceramic element cracking is a greater threat IMHO because you might not know the filter had failed; it's pretty easy to tell the hose has fallen off. :cool:

Skidsteer
11-20-2007, 22:33
I was gonna vote for replacing the stupid thing because the glue (or epoxy) might give up in the field. Then I realized that your filter crapping out isn't the worst gear failure that can happen and at least the mode of failure would be pretty obvious.*

Soooo, go for it. Try to find the most compatible epoxy/glue, follow the instructions to a fault and see what happens.

* A more subtle failure like a ceramic element cracking is a greater threat IMHO because you might not know the filter had failed; it's pretty easy to tell the hose has fallen off. :cool:

LOL, I remember when the filter from my H2O Amigo finally clogged(I thought) past the point of backwashing. I finally got around to opening it up and found that the cartridge seemed relatively clean but the interior plumbing was fubar and useless WRT to actually filtering water. No telling how many gallons of untreated water I drank.

It was a mild epiphany in my personal saga of water treatment.