PDA

View Full Version : Elusive Appalachian Trail animals appear on candid camera

THEmapMAKER
11-19-2007, 13:58
I read this article in the Delaware News Journal, but they did not have it on thier website, so I found it on a different wedsite. The link is below. This was a pretty good animal study done at night using motion detector cameras. I read about this study on a different website that would not let me put a link up and it said they did not get any mountain lions on camera. They believe they are extinct on the AT.

Also this article has not picture, but other websites did.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/11/18/elusive_appalachian_trail_animals_appear_on_candid _camera/

Alligator
11-19-2007, 14:03
There's an ongoing thread on this article here. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29594)

BoyceNoun
08-22-2013, 21:54
To get rid of the candid camera, try to install a camera detector (http://www.detectorall.com/categories/Radio-Frequency-Detector/).

Sarcasm the elf
08-22-2013, 21:58
To get rid of the candid camera, try to install a camera detector (http://www.detectorall.com/categories/Radio-Frequency-Detector/).

A ​spamera detector?

Dogwood
08-23-2013, 13:32
The article says, "This is what the Appalachian Trail looks like when humans aren't looking."

People can experience these animals when they are willing to understand them and adjust their approach to experiencing them accordingly. It's a matter of expanding one's awareness.

"There is some wildness left out there," said William McShea, a Smithsonian ecologist who has led the research. "There are wild animals that are living in [and] among us."

If humans were more sensitive to them and left their typical worlds, including putting aside their typical habits, they would experience more of these creatures to a greater extent. If humans stopped expecting to see all there is to see through windshields and plate glass windows and broadened their all too typical human centric view of the universe to encompass a view of the universe that goes beyond their own immediate desires and needs they would experience and be respectful of these creatures to a greater degree. If they are open to this they might find there's a whole lot more than what at first it might seem. It's a matter of expanding one's awareness.

"We hike during the day," he said, "and they hike at night."

Not me. It's one of the chief reasons why I hike at night or before the sun rises early in the morning, don't use trekking poles, slow down, intently look, listen, smell and sense. Not everything is most active during the daylight hours. Not everything lives with the same habits according to the typical human lifestyle. JPD said she saw 36 bears on her record setting AT thru-hike. She credited that to hiking before sunrise and well after sunset. When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change. To me, this also means when you change when, where, and how you look at things you can also see more. It's a matter of expanding one's awareness.

Here's a good example of someone who's expanding his awareness. In the process he's also expanding other's awareness IF they will open themselves up to it.

Hello everyone! I'm in Hanover tonight and continuing SOBO tomorrow morning. I just spent some time reviewing each day I've been on the trail and where I ended up each night. While doing this, I was able to remember many moments from each day. I remembered meeting new people, playing in waterfalls, climbing mountains, watching the sun or moon, face planting, cursing the bugs or rain, enjoying trail magic, etc.

If I were to have tried this before I left for the AT, it wouldn't have been possible.

My challenge: Review the last 30 days of your life, one day at a time. For each day, remember something that made that day memorable. If you can't do it for EVERY DAY, change your life.

Seriously, I have wasted so much of my life. But I get to hike tomorrow, so I'm OK :)

sketcher709
09-22-2013, 15:58
I read about this study on a different website that would not let me put a link up and it said they did not get any mountain lions on camera. They believe they are extinct on the AT.

I live in north central MA and saw a mountain lion cross the road in front of my house. I am 100% certain it was a mountain lion and not a bobcat. I was speaking with a neighbor a few weeks ago and she mentioned that she had a wildlife came up because a mountain lion had been seen crossing the road by her house as well. Also, I have heard of two occurrences where deer carcasses were found in trees in neighboring towns. The more people I mention it to the more I am surprised at how many people have seen one. You might assume many of them are mistaken and they are seeing bobcats but I KNOW what I saw and I KNOW no bobcat is dragging a deer carcass into a tree. I read that a mountain lion can have a 500 square mile territory - so, here's to hoping that means small to zero odds I ever come across one while hiking but there are definitely mountain lions in the northeast.

marshbirder
09-22-2013, 16:11
I live in north central MA and saw a mountain lion cross the road in front of my house. I am 100% certain it was a mountain lion and not a bobcat. I was speaking with a neighbor a few weeks ago and she mentioned that she had a wildlife came up because a mountain lion had been seen crossing the road by her house as well. Also, I have heard of two occurrences where deer carcasses were found in trees in neighboring towns. The more people I mention it to the more I am surprised at how many people have seen one. You might assume many of them are mistaken and they are seeing bobcats but I KNOW what I saw and I KNOW no bobcat is dragging a deer carcass into a tree. I read that a mountain lion can have a 500 square mile territory - so, here's to hoping that means small to zero odds I ever come across one while hiking but there are definitely mountain lions in the northeast.

They will rarely attack people out west because they don't have enough habitat left and the fires and droughts are making things even worse, but I don't think an eastern mountain lion would mess with an adult human.