PDA

View Full Version : Golite packs

LIhikers
11-19-2007, 18:18
I'm wondering if Golite packs comfortably carry the weights stated on their web page http://www.golite.com/images/sizing/packs.gif

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my present pack with a Golite Quest in an effort to save some overall weight. Will it really carry 45 pounds comfortably all day long? The Lowe Alpine I'm using now is heavy but at the end of the day it's just as comfortable as it was in the morning. I really don't want to give up the comfort, just some weight. I'd love to hear about first hand experiences with the Golite Quest.

Froggy
11-19-2007, 19:00
I have a Jam2 pack that I've been playing with. Haven't had it out on the trail but have worn it walking the dog now.

At 20 pounds there's no need to bother with the hip belt. It's comfortable and rides very well.

Haven't tried it with 30 pounds yet. And can't say about the Quest, but at least one of their packs seems to be solidly at their recommendation.

Ewker
11-19-2007, 19:53
I had a Golite Trek that was rated at 30 lbs. I stuffed 40 lbs in it for a week long trip in the Sierras. It held up quite well. I have been looking at the Jam2 and just might get it

EMAN
11-20-2007, 09:50
Like Ewker, I also own a Trek. Carried almost 40 lbs thru Glacier a year ago and it was fine. But as I've gotten older, lost some weight, and gained a wee bit of experience in dumping stuff I don't use or need, I wanted a bit more comfort and was willing to add the extra weight of a slightly heavier pack to get there.
I bought a Quest. I carried that with probably 38 lbs on a trip on the BMT thru the Smokies last Oct.
I love it!
It carried the weight comfortably and seemed to stay balanced, i.e., didn't have to keep shrugging my shoulders from side to side all the time to keep it centered.
The outer pocket held all kinds of crap. It has the little pockets on the waist belt that I figured would be a waste of time for me but I carried my maps, multitool, and some snacks in those.
I had my sleeping bag and pad, a QuarterDome, some extra clothing, and a Bearikade in the main carry area and had room to spare. Didn't have to extend that "neck" piece. But there is a couple of little...hooks...that allow you to shrink the size of the pack to carry less.
As a possible disclaimer, this was the only trip I have carried this pack on (believe me, it was a fairly brutal test trail) and I have lost weight (which helped a lot I'm sure) so my judgement may not be the best source here.
And as stated previously on a thread somewhere here, I'm certain there are lighter packs and I went through a couple of packs of similar weight (REI UL60 and a Deuter something or other) that had their good points but I really like this GoLite Quest.

amigo
11-20-2007, 20:59
I've used a Golite Infinity (39 ounces) for four years now, and I've carried up to 30 pounds very comfortably in it. I can't imagine ever carrying more weight than that, given the gear that I now use. It isn't listed in the link LIHikers provided,but my recollection is it's rated at 30 pounds.

88BlueGT
11-21-2007, 13:41
Im also wondering the same thing. I was looking into the GoLite Pinnacle. Last trip I went on I was at about 36lb's with food and water BUT I was using a super heavy sleeping bag, big sleeping pad and alot of unnecessary stuff. I could get it down into the real low 30's pretty easy. Just wondering how thats going to feel with that pack. I have never used a frameless pack so Im very new to it and dont want it to feel bad.

wrongway_08
11-21-2007, 13:45
Took me about 2 days for my shoulders to adjust to the difference and then after the 2nd trip my body adjusted to the difference in how the framless pack supported the weight.
I carry 26 lbs in my Jam2 and have no problems.