PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Area Hikers

Proudfoot
11-19-2007, 19:46
Philadelphia area Hiking trips. Day. Overnite. Any Taker.
Wissahickon, SNJ Pines, Other suggested trips.
Please include date and time If you are ready, willing, and able.

PLEASE post if you are interested in doing a day or overnite somewhere in the area, and not if you want to share your thoughts on the subject. This Thread is for interested parties ONLY.

Wonder
11-19-2007, 20:16
Just contact MWeinstone Johnny Thunder, CamoJack or Panzer1
They are a crazy crowd, but devoted hikers

kayak karl
11-19-2007, 20:30
id be interested. any weekend or weekday with notice. need to try out gear:)

theurbansuburban
11-19-2007, 22:04
Diddo. I'd be in to test out some new gear (my winter gear is a bit lacking though). I'm right in center city. There are two state parks resonably accessable by regionrail if you don't have a car. I'm not sure what they are off the top of my head, but I'll check and feed back tomorrow.

Lellers
11-19-2007, 23:47
OOOO! i'd be interested. I'm in Montgomery County. Have always been interested in the Batona Trail and maybe tracking the Jersey Devil! I'm kinda out of commission for overnights until March, though. Some minor health stuff and major work scheduling issues. I could manage to schedule day stuff with enough notice, tho.

LOL and I just love this: You can't scare me. I work with Cub Scouts

I'm a Cubmaster and an Assistant Scoutmaster, so I know what you mean!

Wonder
11-20-2007, 02:38
Maybe I could hook up for an after xmas day hike. I'll be back in West Chester for a few days. Anyone intrested in Jim Thorpe area. Switchback trail or Glen Onoko?

kayak karl
11-20-2007, 08:52
i have done the batona, nice this time of year. wilderness sites. very very empty now :)

Johnny Thunder
11-20-2007, 09:41
Maybe I could hook up for an after xmas day hike. I'll be back in West Chester for a few days. Anyone intrested in Jim Thorpe area. Switchback trail or Glen Onoko?

"Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in!"

jhick
11-20-2007, 10:20
It's pretty funny that I live about 25 minutes from the Batona trail and haven't done it yet. Mostly I've been going between Rt309 and just past the DWG. I'm waiting for a nice snowday to go to the Superfund site. Last year I went up to the Pinnacle the day after Xmas, and there was quite a bit of people up there.

Mother's Finest
11-20-2007, 10:35

Happy Thanksgiving Wonder

I went up to Glen Onoko for the first time two weeks ago. Pretty nice spot. The waterfalls were beautiful and my buddy said they were really running heavy. I guess we were lucky. the only problem was I got really really sick the next day. The downhill hike was interesting, as sticking to the exact path is not that easy.

peace
mf

Wonder
11-20-2007, 11:56
Happy Thanksgiving Wonder

I went up to Glen Onoko for the first time two weeks ago. Pretty nice spot. The waterfalls were beautiful and my buddy said they were really running heavy. I guess we were lucky. the only problem was I got really really sick the next day. The downhill hike was interesting, as sticking to the exact path is not that easy.

peace
mf

It you go up the path above the falls, there is a trail split. If you continue to the right, there is an old "stage coach" trail that wraps you back down to the first section of tiers trail......right at the river. If you contine to the right, it's a very long trail that follows the ridge almost the entire lenght of the lehigh gorge trail.
Tooks me years to find the other path......I'll be sure to show you!

krazyvan
11-21-2007, 16:52
I'm good for a winter overnighter in PA or the pines. Old Loggers Path anyone??

camojack
11-21-2007, 23:31
Hey! I resemble that. :)

I'm generally up for day hikes on the weekend, especially along the Wissahickon; that's one o' my favorite places in the continental U.S.

Smile
11-21-2007, 23:49
I used to hike the Glen every weekend , I was a river guide on the Lehigh for several years. The trails up there have really eroded in the past three or four years, and alternate, muddy trails have evolved. If you are on the "main" trail up towards the fourth "fall" there is a stone stairway on your right, one by one the stones are falling down the mtn., and the trail was rerouted away from there just for safety's sake. Plenty of rattlesnakes in the warmer months as well, be careful if you take a dog with you!

When you first get on trail while it is still level after the first uphill from the parking lot, there is a sweet overhang to sleep under :)

Doing the Glen, and then driving over to Palmerton to do the Gap, or up to Blue Mtn. where the AT crosses the road - and then hike out to the Palmerton Gap is a good one as well, lots of views up on the ridge. Ugly underfoot for much of the way, but nice views nonetheless.

Have a great hike in PA!

lbbrown
11-22-2007, 00:55

Happy Thanksgiving to all Philly Hikerz and WB'ers

Planning to do a day hike( Saturday )either from the resovoir parking lot to the Pinnacle or from Eckville north and then around to the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary. This is our annual " Dads Memorial Hike" but all are welcome!

Hey Wonder---Go easy on the Bird!!!!!!!!!! LB

Wonder
11-22-2007, 01:29
Aw man....now I REALLY have to get to JT over the holiday. I may live in the trail town.....but man I miss my home trails. Glen Onoko is no walk in the park either!

Smile
11-22-2007, 02:08
The Glen is a great place to get in shape for a hike on the AT. Load up a pack and do the loop five times in a row, you'll feel it :)

Joe8484
11-22-2007, 02:59
I did Batona about two months ago. It was a bit overgrown in some of the northern sections. Also be aware that campsites are spaced irregularly and take full advantage of any water sources.

Im at Drexel so if anyone wants to meet up let me know. Im thinking about doing the black forest trail sometime in decemeber.

Toolshed
11-22-2007, 08:41
My normal holiday rambles are either the Pinnacle from Eckville or either side of the Lehigh Gap. Depends on the wind - Some year the Palmerton side and other years the south side to the Palmerton overlook (Devil's Pulpit?). Maybe I will check out Glen Onoko this year instead. we have been walking the streets of JT for several weekends with the new baby, but I would like to get away with my 7 year old and do something more strenuous

Wonder
11-22-2007, 23:34
Would not really suggest Glen Onoko for a child until you check it out.....there are some tricky parts

Smile
11-23-2007, 01:03
Wonder, you are right on. That is definately not a great hike for a baby along, unless you've been there and picked your trail first on a 'check it out' hike :)

JT has great steep streets, and the old incline railway bed over behind the sportsfieldson the S side of town is a great hike as well, lots of Mtn. bike trails up there, you can start out at Mauch Chunk Park just outside of town, up Broadway and keep going a few miles. There is also a bird rehab center there as well that you can see the birds outside.

Toolshed
11-24-2007, 10:43
I just pulled out my "50 Hikes Series" books and blew the dust off Eastern PA. There is what appears to be a great little loop hike overlooking Camelback Ski Resort at Big Pocono State Park - May have to check that out today.
.....BTW, I was thinking of taking only my 7YO (and not the infant) when I was talking about Glen Onoko, but as muddy, slick, tricky as it sounds, I will check it out first solo before bringing him.

I did have the infnat out for a 21/2 mile stroll on a local town trail on Thanksgiving and christened the new Kelty kid-carrier with baby spooge. She is 3 months old and fits in there at the tightest strap setting setting... Many more miles and dream to go with her.....

scout005
12-10-2007, 10:23
Glad to come upon this info on trails in Jim Thorpe. Been living there for the past 3 years and I'm usually in the Glen several times a week after work. I never realized there were trails up above the falls. JT is a great outdoor town. They recently put a cement pedestrian crossing on the railroad bridge over the Lehigh that leads into the Glen Onoko State Park. You can go straight from the JT train station to the Glen on the old railroad bed Sweet!

Jaybird62
12-14-2007, 17:23
I would be interested. The conestoga trail along the susquehana river or the mason dixon trail on the other side of the river are great trails close to philly.