PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Thru hike Partner

kate2008
11-20-2007, 12:35
Hey! I'm planning on doing a flip flop hike starting in early May, and am looking for a hiking partner, or at least someone who would like to start out together. I plan on starting at Harpers Ferry and going NOBO, then returning by bus to Harpers Ferry and going south. I'm pretty flexible on dates and itinerary, so send me a message if you're interested!

maxNcathy
11-28-2007, 17:11
Kate,Considering the weather, what you plan seems like a clever idea. If I was your age/free as a bird, I would join You! Have a super time. Sandalwood

Sly
11-28-2007, 17:13
That's a good plan and one recommended by the ATC.

Jim Adams
11-28-2007, 17:26
You'll find a partner NOBO easily and while doing so, try to meet as many SOBO's as possible and try to hook-up with them after you flip-flop.

geek

Kirby
11-28-2007, 18:52
Hey! I'm planning on doing a flip flop hike starting in early May, and am looking for a hiking partner, or at least someone who would like to start out together. I plan on starting at Harpers Ferry and going NOBO, then returning by bus to Harpers Ferry and going south. I'm pretty flexible on dates and itinerary, so send me a message if you're interested!

That is around the time the late Feb to early march crowd will be moving through there, including myself, you are bound to meet someone along the way.

Kirby

sly dog
11-29-2007, 13:22
I am a sectioner but have not done the begining of PA yet. Last year i started before HF and went to the PA border but would like to do at least a week or so into PA from the Pen Mar area up. I already did a bunch in Pa so anywhere up to and including the cumberland valley would be nice.

smaaax
12-12-2007, 22:43

I'm starting NOBO from GA in January or Harpers Ferry in late April.

ScottP
12-15-2007, 20:59
If you hope to find a hiking partner right away come in shape so that you can keep up with the thru-hikers, or just don't expect to really meet a partner for the first couple of weeks. Also, if you find yourself unable to keep up make sure that you don't overdo it and hurt yourself--potential partners will be coming along most every day.

the_iceman
12-16-2007, 11:33
Unless you have a lot of trail time or history together it is very difficult to pick a partner in advance.

I hiked with a few different groups and partners during my thru-hike and found needs and abilities can quickly change. Not everyone gets their “trail legs” at the same time and some people get worn down quicker than others and need more zeros.

I had a great partner for most of my hike and we just started hiking together one day at a time. But as I got really strong towards the end he got worn down and decided to finish the trip with a group of slack packers.

For the last month I was mostly solo but loosely grouped with several other hikers. This worked out the best for me because it left me free to do what I wanted when I wanted but still surrounded by companions. A group like this will develop over time with people around you. I moved faster than most in the beginning so I kept catching new groups but by mid way everyone had kind of settled into their pace.

The one disadvantage you may have with a flip-flop is you are starting before most Nobo will be in that area and the ones that are will already have their trail legs.

Harper’s Ferry is about 1,000 miles Northbound and the average Nobo will be covering around a 100 miles a week so that is 10 weeks for most people. (Again this is an average so there are extremes on both ends) So the hikers you will meet will be the February starters most likely.

Most of all, I would carry your own gear so you are independent.

Marta
12-16-2007, 12:08
I'm batting a zero in internet "met" hiking partners for long-distance hikes. (The one that started with me SOBO on the AT lasted part of one day; the one on the JMT lasted through Reds Meadows.) I won't be trying it again.

I agree with the above posters who say to meet up with people while you're hiking. It will work.