PDA

View Full Version : What should I ask for Santa for Christmas...

Tennessee Viking
11-21-2007, 01:33
Been looking at what else I can add to my hiking/camping supplies.

So far, I got a:
Kelty Trekker 3900ST frame pack.

30degree Coleman sleeping bag (a bit heavy, but I can wait for a lighter bag)

a cheap generic inflattable sleeping mat.

a pair of Mountain Smith poles

So what should I ask for next:

I am thinking of a lighweight 1-2person tent (looking for one that is simple to setup), or a ceramic water filter pump (with top filtering power).
Any suggestions? Any other items I should ask for?

Who has the better outfitter deals? I leave close to Mahonneys, Mtn Sports Limited, Bluff Mtn Outfitters, Mt Rogers Outfitters, and Mast General Store Outfitters in the TN/VA/NC area. How is Campmor compared to the reg. outfitter stores?

Nearly Normal
11-21-2007, 02:18
Six months off starting in March.

Nearly Normal

Doughnut
11-21-2007, 07:40
GREAT ANSWER Nearly Normal, That just made #1 on my list!!!

wudhipy
11-21-2007, 08:01
Wow

Just 6 months to go..( all over body smile ) Just a suggestion as to the Santa list pertaining to the tent, have Santa bring you one that is free standing, ( can be set up most anywhere ) especially nice if you are among the last ones to arrive at the shelter site and the choice spots are taken. single layer tents are our preference simply because when setting up in a down pour the inside doesn't get gallons of water in it while fighting to attach the rain fly ( also less weight).ask for one with large hook loops for attaching the tent to the poles, wet nylon sleeves are a real pain to get a pole section thru in a down pour. I guess what I'm getting at is the simpler the tent set up the better. We've tried a few different tents during our section hikes finding a hands down favorite. Eureka !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana

enjoy your hike
wudhipy

mudhead
11-21-2007, 08:06
I get socks. I like socks.

sweetpeastu
11-21-2007, 17:43
I have an REI Quarter Dome freestanding tent that weighs less than 4 pounds. It's roomy for one and I've shared it before with others. If you're over six feet tall forget about it, in fact, I'm 5'9 and sometimes i feel like I can touch the bottom. I've shared it before with some people who were between 5'11 and 6 feet and they said the same thing.

Its super easy to put up and I've not had major issues with condensation (and I use a down bag....). It's also not terribly expensive.

You could check out the REI Half Dome too. Its bigger.

Summit
11-21-2007, 17:54
Who has the better outfitter deals? I leave close to Mahonneys, Mtn Sports Limited, Bluff Mtn Outfitters, Mt Rogers Outfitters, and Mast General Store Outfitters in the TN/VA/NC area. How is Campmor compared to the reg. outfitter stores?All the major outfitters are expensive unless you catch stuff on sale. REI has their online "Outlet" store which can have some good deals. Go to "Steep And Cheap" and join their email list/download a desktop or browser add-on alert.

Remember, NPR! Never Pay Retail! :)

Summit
11-21-2007, 17:59
We've tried a few different tents during our section hikes finding a hands down favorite. Eureka !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bananaI've enjoyed Eureka tents for years. See my current one here:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19406&catid=555

Before that, I had another three-man dome (in fact still have it but needs a new zipper for the door) and before that had an older model Timberline A-frame. They've all served me VERY well. ;)

Chaco Taco
11-26-2007, 08:39
Also check out Sierra Trading post. I am asking for trail runners, bout 3 pairs of the exact same shoe.

Ask for Capilene base layer or wool base layer

I agree with above, you can never go wrong with socks.

JAK
11-26-2007, 09:24
I'm wishing for lots and lots of snow this year,
and to rekindle enough sense to get out and enjoy it.

JAK
11-26-2007, 09:25
Good King Wenceslas looked out
On the feast of Stephen
When the snow lay round about
Deep and crisp and even
Brightly shone the moon that night
Though the frost was cruel
When a poor man came in sight
Gath'ring winter fuel

"Hither, page, and stand by me
If thou know'st it, telling
Yonder peasant, who is he?
Where and what his dwelling?"
"Sire, he lives a good league hence
Underneath the mountain
Right against the forest fence
By Saint Agnes' fountain."

"Bring me flesh and bring me wine
Bring me pine logs hither
Thou and I will see him dine
When we bear him thither."
Page and monarch forth they went
Forth they went together
Through the rude wind's wild lament
And the bitter weather

"Sire, the night is darker now
And the wind blows stronger
Fails my heart, I know not how,
I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, my good page
Tread thou in them boldly
Thou shalt find the winter's rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly."

In his master's steps he trod
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the Saint had printed
Therefore, Christian men, be sure
Wealth or rank possessing
Ye who now will bless the poor
Shall yourselves find blessing

Doctari
11-26-2007, 11:46
If not totally commited to using a tent: wish for a hammock set up.

mudhead
11-26-2007, 13:49
Price of oil=hoping for a mild winter.