PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking "Mindsets!"

Summit
11-21-2007, 10:24
As becomes evident in many of the threads on WhiteBlaze, I find that most of us fall into one of the following mindsets (categories) regarding the equipment we use, and to a lesser degree, our "style" of backpacking philosophy, which often fuels heated debate for those of us in the first two categories. I am squarely in the “Weight Conscious / Comfort & Convenience Balanced Hikers” category and am occasionally passionate about my choice of equipment, admittedly. My intent is to have a little fun with this, but also to help us all realize that none of the categories are “WRONG.” They are personal choices and as with much in life, choices result in consequences that we must bear.

Ultra-Lite Hikers (ULH)
- Philosophy is simple: Weight is EVERYTHING, to the point of pulling out half the bristles in a toothbrush as being unnecessary and adding weight!
- Often passionate about their way and that all other choices are wrong
- Weight wins over functionality when choosing their equipment
- Own scales and weigh everything!
- Carry only the basic necessities
- Typically high daily mileage hikers
- Frequent shelter users
- Purists when it comes to Leave No Trace (LNT) - Defenders of the environment
- Consequence of this style: Must do without some comforts and conveniences

Weight Conscious / Comfort & Convenience Balanced Hikers
- Philosophy is: They have weight concerns in the back of their mind, but strive for comfort and convenience balanced with a modest weight pack
- Occasionally passionate about their way and that all other choices are wrong
- Functionality usually wins over weight when choosing their equipment, but not always
- Less frequent shelter users
- Carry a few “nice-to-have-along” items
- Moderate mileage hikers
- Consequence of this style: Must deal with (suffer) carrying more weight

Comfort & Convenience Hikers
- Philosophy is: If it adds the comfort and convenience of home, bring it!
- Willing to carry extra weight if the item adds comfort and/or convenience to the hiking experience
- Not passionate about convincing others to their equipment choice and way
- Functionality is EVERYTHING
- Rare shelter users (for some, never in a million years!)
- Carry significant “nice-to-have-along” items
- Low mileage hikers
- More likely to violate LNT (but not all)
- Consequence of this style: Must deal with (suffer) carrying a lot more weight

NOTE: Obviously, we aren’t all square pegs that can be neatly fit into a particular category. A ULH type might carry a “nice-to-have-along” item. He/she might even deviate and occasionally do a hike as one of the other types. Weekend or short mileage hikes tend to gravitate most of us more toward “Comfort & Convenience Hikers,” so these categories apply mostly to our distance hiking mentality.

whitefoot_hp
11-21-2007, 10:37
all of the above categories can be just as passionate about their way being right than any of the others. in fact, some heavy loaders are just as arrogant if not more than the some of the ultra lighters. all categories have their share of humble, true HYOY types as well.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 10:40
Too much pigeonholing. There are three types of posters:

Those that have fun here.

Those that take things too serious and want everyone else to be that way.

Those that can do both.

dessertrat
11-21-2007, 10:45
And some people don't mind going ultralight in the summer, but wouldn't be so foolish as to die trying it in the winter!

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 10:48
You totally missed a group:

Those that know that gear really doesn't matter. That it is only a tool, light or heavy. And like to poke at people that think that their gear is "the best" or the whole concept of what "the best" is.

Gear is gear.

Sly
11-21-2007, 10:49
And I thought I had too much time on my hands... I may but, not enough to get involved here.

gsingjane
11-21-2007, 11:25
I wonder if, to some extent, your categories also include one's approach to food and cooking. I've seen wonderful recipes in books and Backpacker magazine, even for things like polenta and sushi on the trail, yet somehow can never justify to myself the extra weight of food and gear it would take to actually make these things. I would also put trail baking in this category. On the way other extreme. it seems like every so often I see posts from someone wondering if they could do the whole thing on Power Bars or maybe even straight olive oil or dead squirrels they find along the way. I'm sure there are many exceptions to the rule (UL hikers who go gourmet and vice-versa) but to my experience, there is a definite correlation.

Jane in CT

Summit
11-21-2007, 11:35
Might have known the Sgt Rock types would take this negatively rather than my intent, which was to add understanding to people who approach backpacking from different perspectives than they do. I guess those who are the most guilty of slamming folks around here will be the most offended by this post! :p :D

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 11:45
Might have known the Sgt Rock types would take this negatively rather than my intent, which was to add understanding to people who approach backpacking from different perspectives than they do. I guess those who are the most guilty of slamming folks around here will be the most offended by this post! :p :D

you only posted it cuz most believe bear canisters are pretty useless to have on the AT

MOWGLI
I think you're off base regarding LNT. For one thing, a ULH group member is unlikely to carry ANYTHING out of the woods, other than what they carried in. I'd like to hear you defend that thesis though.

You also left out an important characteristic of some ULH group members. They believe that they are superior to other hikers, and will not hesitate to lecture someone carrying a heavier load about the error of their ways. I have run into a few of them in my day. I guess every group has it's zealots. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
I just think the premise is flawed to describe hikers in such narrow bands. Especially with the all others a wrong things you stuck in there. I think maybe the original poster just imprints his own attitude into what he perceives in others.

Mags
11-21-2007, 12:00
It is just gear and how people who carry it.

I've met different personality types who carry all spectrums of gear.

Hmm... perhaps we need a 4 axis chart to truly describe gear loads (Attached).

Most people are somewhere along this graph in one combo or another. Not really germane to the discussion per se, but illustrates how you really can't describe a group within a narrow range.

Most people are a mixture of ideas, contradictions and personality traits. Myself included!

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:01
So making fun of this whole premise is negative?

There are so many approaches to backpacking (not just gear) that this is simply pidgeonholing things into how you have decided to percive them. Interesting how gear is the main focus when it is only a tool for getting into the back country. Gear is not the focus of hiking except to those that want to make it so.

Think about it.

Tipi Walter
11-21-2007, 12:01

I don't think you were denoting "The Three Types of Posters," but instead were doing what any serious backpacker does when not actually hiking a trail(and sometimes when hiking): Categorizing the varying qualities and types of backpacking styles. While not exactly a philosophical treatise, your thread is an interesting one and more indepth than the usual Gear discussions.

Also, there might be an attempt by ultralight types to belittle or disregard your ideas about ULers("Often passionate about about their way and that all other choices are wrong" your words), but I believe there's some truth to the overly wrought passion ULers bring to the table. You won't hear "Heavyweighters" drone on and on about grams, how little they carry(actually, how much they like to carry), the latest feather-weight packs, base weights and all the rest. Sort of like what MOWGLI16 just said, lecturing about lighter loads, etc.

Anybody that does any amount of long-term backpacking can't help but think about this kind of stuff, and in my opinion there needs to be more talk about intent/movitation/lifestyle concepts and less about gear and technique.

Mags
11-21-2007, 12:03
S Gear is not the focus of hiking except to those that want to make it so.

Think about it.

I've noticed that point. There is arguably a large amount of outdoor users (in any outdoor pursuit) who are really gear collectors as their hobby. The outdoor pursuit is just a way to persue their real hobby of gear collecting.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:04
Anybody that does any amount of long-term backpacking can't help but think about this kind of stuff, and in my opinion there needs to be more talk about intent/movitation/lifestyle concepts and less about gear and technique.
Amen brother.

dessertrat
11-21-2007, 12:07
I wish there were less talk about gear and more talk about scenery and wildlife.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:09
I think you're off base regarding LNT. For one thing, a ULH group member is unlikely to carry ANYTHING out of the woods, other than what they carried in. I'd like to hear you defend that thesis though.

You also left out an important characteristic of some ULH group members. They believe that they are superior to other hikers, and will not hesitate to lecture someone carrying a heavier load about the error of their ways. I have run into a few of them in my day. I guess every group has it's zealots. :rolleyes:Since I think trying to predict hiking style off of pack weight is sort of silly, I'll throw this one at you...

The majority of trash I pack off the trail is not something an ultralighter would ever carry. Frying pans, Wal-Mart Tarps, gallon glass bottles of burbon (empty) empty food cans, abandonded tents, etc.

So if you go with the premis that an ultralighter is less likely to carry someone elses trash out (which I disagree with) the heavy luxury hiker is more likely to leave more trash behind.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2007, 12:12
If I accept the premise of three types of hikers, then I would tend to believe that individual hikers could fall into more than one category - as in 60% UL, 30% Moderate and 10% heavy-weight.... and that if the each hiker were weighed and graphed, the continuum of hikers would form sort of a bell-type curve.... yes, I know it is pure bull scat, but it fits with the thread. :D

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:16
I wonder if the ultralight "testimonials" and attempts to "convert" are based on the fact that most ultralighters probably started on the other end of the spectrum and are only trying to spread the "good news"?

Think about it.

MOWGLI
11-21-2007, 12:17
This discussion reminds me of a guy I met out on the JMT last year. A couple miles south of Muir Ranch you cross a fast flowing river on a bridge and enter Kings Canyon National Park. When we arrived there, this fellow was trying to cram all of his gear in his pack. He had entirely too much stuff, and these spindly little legs. In fact, he had a large backback full of stuff, and a small day pack crammed full. He had just been dropped off by a horse packer from Muir Ranch, and obviously hadn't thought through how he was going to carry all his crap.

My friend and I stopped to take a break and dry out the tent, eat a snack, and get some water. It was probably 11 AM.

I laid the tent on the ground to dry it in the sun. That's when Mr. Gear Head decided to lecture us that we couldn't camp there. I explained that we weren't camping. Just drying out our gear. He didn't seem to like that answer. I was tempted to ask him if he had a backcountry permit - but I didn't.

When we left, he was on his satellite phone, presumably calling the Muir Ranch to tell them to either come and get him, or come and get some of his gear.

Maybe you had to be there. It was pretty funny though.

Summit
11-21-2007, 12:18

You also left out an important characteristic of some ULH group members. They believe that they are superior to other hikers, and will not hesitate to lecture someone carrying a heavier load about the error of their ways. I have run into a few of them in my day. I guess every group has it's zealots. :rolleyes:Your first point may be correct. Hadn't thought of that angle. What they believe in and what they do may contradict, i.e. they are environmental zealots, but because of their ULH conviction, will not pitch in to correct wrongs to the environment done by others. How's that for the start of a thesis? :D I tend to agree with your second point, but didn't want to alienate! :eek:

MOWGLI
11-21-2007, 12:19
The majority of trash I pack off the trail is not something an ultralighter would ever carry. Frying pans, Wal-Mart Tarps, gallon glass bottles of burbon (empty) empty food cans, abandonded tents, etc.

So if you go with the premis that an ultralighter is less likely to carry someone elses trash out (which I disagree with) the heavy luxury hiker is more likely to leave more trash behind.

I'll buy that. But I think those folks belong in a different category.

Tipi Walter
11-21-2007, 12:24
So making fun of this whole premise is negative?

There are so many approaches to backpacking (not just gear) that this is simply pidgeonholing things into how you have decided to percive them. Interesting how gear is the main focus when it is only a tool for getting into the back country. Gear is not the focus of hiking except to those that want to make it so.

Think about it.

BTW, I don't think Summit's main jist had a whole lot to do with gear, instead he leads off each category with philosophy and the passionate way backpackers dictate their individual styles(basically a ULers Vs Big Loads, with a negatory towards the ULers). That's how I read it.

As far as trash goes(and like Sgt Rock I've seen the whole wad), it is an educational kind of thing, and the ULers are more outdoor savy than the usual "luxury", big pack types. Some of this has to do with "locals-who-backpack", and could be categorized in the Low Tech vs High Tech camp. The high tech backpackers(whether heavy or UL)do not tend to litter, while the low tech(often locals with cheap gear)can really make a mess. In my mind, looking at a person's gear, what's on their backs, can pretty much determine what they'll dump off in camp. Trash.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:26
I'll buy that. But I think those folks belong in a different category.
I deny that there really is a catagory like he contends. Gear is gear. I really feel it is an amature thing to try and catagorize a hiker by what he carries like judging a person by race or how they dress.

Some would think I am an ultralighter I imagine. But I routinely carry 50+ pound packs on trail (not at work). Last trip I carried two packs at the same time.

-I almost always carry out more than I pack in.
-I eat really well yet cook on alcohol - most of the time I do three hots a day.
-I never ever talk about gear on the trail unless someone else asks me about it for some reason. That is solely left to the board here for folks that want to talk gear.

Again, gear is gear. You carry what you need based on the weather, purpose, and intent of the hike. Trying to plug hikers into a bell curve and predict how and why they do things off what stove or filter or pack they carry is about as logical as deciding what religion I am based off what I eat on a given day.

Summit
This discussion reminds me of a guy I met out on the JMT last year.I did the entire JMT in the summer of 1977. I met a guy on the hike who was trying to see how light he could go . . . how little he could survive with was more like it. He had no tent . . . was sleeping with all the clothes he had on at night, which as you know, can get near freezing or below even in the summer months at these "High Sierra" elevations. His food menu, get this, was raw oatmeal softened in water three times a day. Why raw? No stove of course! I don't know how long or for how many miles he had been at this, but he did not look very well.

jesse
I don't know if there is any correlation between Weight and LNT. LNT is a character issue, that is probably unrelated to weight. In fact, one of the worse offenses I have come across was a low life group that left a dozen or more beer bottles hidden behind a log in the Cohutta 2 years ago. No one carrying beer in bottles could be in the UL category.

Shelter use???????

MOWGLI
11-21-2007, 12:31
I did the entire JMT in the summer of 1977. I met a guy on the hike who was trying to see how light he could go . . .

Met a guy from Wisconsin in Lyell Canyon trying to go from Tuolumne Meadows to Mt. Whitney (approx. 200 miles) in 10 days, carrying only dried fruit & nuts. Saw him later in the day and he appeared pretty ill. Said he was having a hard time with his food - and it was day 1. Probably elevation related. I have always wondered if he made it or if he bailed.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:31
BTW, I don't think Summit's main jist had a whole lot to do with gear, instead he leads off each category with philosophy and the passionate way backpackers dictate their individual styles(basically a ULers Vs Big Loads, with a negatory towards the ULers). That's how I read it.

As far as trash goes(and like Sgt Rock I've seen the whole wad), it is an educational kind of thing, and the ULers are more outdoor savy than the usual "luxury", big pack types. Some of this has to do with "locals-who-backpack", and could be categorized in the Low Tech vs High Tech camp. The high tech backpackers(whether heavy or UL)do not tend to litter, while the low tech(often locals with cheap gear)can really make a mess. In my mind, looking at a person's gear, what's on their backs, can pretty much determine what they'll dump off in camp. Trash.I'm still not sure that is always going to be an indication. I picked up a hitch hiker that was obviously a hiker - although all his gear was low quality and re-cycled trash. Turns out he practically lives on the trail and uses whatever he can get by with.

On the other hand, the stories of the people that pick up all the newest stuff at the outfitter (price and weight be damned) to start a thru-hike and end up tossing the stuff on the way up to Springer are out there.

Gear is gear. Judging a book by its cover is wrong and we know it is, but somehow people think they can judge a hiker by his gear choices and see nothing wrong with that.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 12:35
I'm in a category all my own. no other members. :)
I DON'T sleep in shelters or hostels
I " treat/filter water
I " hang food
I " use hiking sticks/poles
I " use anything titanium
I DO carry a fry pan, 2 pots
I " use a Nalgene for water
I " carry 40lbs and can hike 3 mph
Just a few things

Summit
11-21-2007, 12:35
I deny that there really is a catagory like he contends. Gear is gear. I really feel it is an amature thing to try and catagorize a hiker by what he carries like judging a person by race or how they dress.Why don't you use the grocery store shopping technique then? If you don't like what's down this isle, don't go down it! :p :D I'll not play your game of name calling, belittling (amature), which you obviously need to do to stroke your own ego.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:36
I did the entire JMT in the summer of 1977. I met a guy on the hike who was trying to see how light he could go . . . how little he could survive with was more like it. He had no tent . . . was sleeping with all the clothes he had on at night, which as you know, can get near freezing or below even in the summer months at these "High Sierra" elevations. His food menu, get this, was raw oatmeal softened in water three times a day. Why raw? No stove of course! I don't know how long or for how many miles he had been at this, but he did not look very well.
And being silly about gear can go both ways. You can carry one or the other to any extreme. I've met people on the trail packing everything but the kitchen sink (unless you count the folding camp sink they carry) so they can be "comfortable" yet they are anything but comfortable as they tote all that stuff. These people are the type that often try to make me hot water in camp because of that poor pitiful stove I carry. They can be just as preachy and gear oriented as any other group.

Where is that in the spectrum of hikers?

Gear is just gear.

Tipi Walter
11-21-2007, 12:36
I don't know if there is any correlation between Weight and LNT. LNT is a character issue, that is probably unrelated to weight. In fact, one of the worse offenses I have come across was a low life group that left a dozen or more beer bottles hidden behind a log in the Cohutta 2 years ago. No one carrying beer in bottles could be in the UL category.

Shelter use???????

Getting off into trash issues(the previous stuff was making my head hurt), I was in the Bald River wilderness and saw the near exact same thing: 10 beer cans under a rock ledge and a still burning firepit smoldering with half-hot burning food items. The kicker is I said hi to these miscreants coming out while I was on my way in, instead I should of . . . duct taped . . . to a tree . . . all of them . . . water-boarding . . . BEER boarding . . .

MOWGLI16: Saw him later in the day and he appeared pretty ill -- now that made me laugh.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:39
Why don't you use the grocery store shopping technique then? If you don't like what's down this isle, don't go down it! :p :D I'll not play your game of name calling, belittling (amature), which you obviously need to do to stroke your own ego.
You just did. And you started this thread by doing so.

Again, imprinting your own actions into what you perceive in others. I'm having fun poking holes in the whole premise, you are the one that is getting nasty.

Where is the "turn the other cheek" and "judge not..."?

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 12:40
You just did. And you started this thread by doing so.

Again, imprinting your own actions into what you perceive in others. I'm having fun poking holes in the whole premise, you are the one that is getting nasty.

Where is the "turn the other cheek" and "judge not..."?

he's just sore cuz nobody thinks bear canisters are cool :)

Tipi Walter
11-21-2007, 12:42
Why don't you use the grocery store shopping technique then? If you don't like what's down this isle, don't go down it! :p :D I'll not play your game of name calling, belittling (amature), which you obviously need to do to stroke your own ego.

Whoa, Summit! You're losing me.

Footslogger
11-21-2007, 12:42
I " treat/filter water
I " hang food
Just a few things

=====================================

But you're still young :D

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:43
HOI does. But HOI uses his for cool things :sun

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 12:43
=====================================

But you're still young :D

almost 49. that ain't no spring turkey

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:44
Whoa, Summit! You're losing me.
I think he meant that for me since now I am bashing the whole concept of his "Gear Profiling"

Summit
11-21-2007, 12:45
Gear is gear. Judging a book by its cover is wrong and we know it is, but somehow people think they can judge a hiker by his gear choices and see nothing wrong with that.You are as far off base as you can get with that! You are the only one who sees it as "judgemental." I describe, from a what people carry, which spills over to their general philosophy of hiking, which relates to how they comment on gear being discussed. And from that perspective, you call me judgemental? Sheesh! :(

mudhead
11-21-2007, 12:45

You also left out an important characteristic of some ULH group members. They believe that they are superior to other hikers, and will not hesitate to lecture someone carrying a heavier load about the error of their ways. I have run into a few of them in my day. I guess every group has it's zealots. :rolleyes:
And then try to bum something from you. No I don't have anymore cookies. or fuel. Or smokes. Or the time.

I wish there were less talk about gear and more talk about scenery and wildlife.
I have yet to stumble accross a TJ that has good wildlife discussion.

Cat/dog.
Coffee/tea.
L.Wolf/everyone else.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2007, 12:46
As Rock has noted, gear weight does not necessarily correlate with hiking ethic. Some hikers do not have the financial means to buy the high $$$, UL gear and this is the biggest reason they are not UL'ers.

For example, if I decided to take the gentleman Rock picked up out and buy him Patagonia base layers, GoLite clothing, a Shires Rainbow, a Feathered Friends bag and a Luxury Lite pack would he have suddenly transformed from the heavy philosophy to the UL philosophy.... I don't think so.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:48
You are as far off base as you can get with that! You are the only one who sees it as "judgemental." I describe, from a what people carry, which spills over to their general philosophy of hiking, which relates to how they comment on gear being discussed. And from that perspective, you call me judgemental? Sheesh! :(
Yep, because you brought it up.

No one else decided to slot hikers by what they carry. I like to look at everyone as who they are, not what they carry.

mudhead
11-21-2007, 12:49
And he might save that stuff for best. No sense getting fancy stuff all dirty.

woodsy
11-21-2007, 12:50
Where is the Lone Ranger category? For those of us who don't give a crap how anyone else hikes or what they carry?

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:51
Where is the Lone Ranger category? For those of us who don't give a crap how anyone else hikes or what they carry?
I actually think that is most of us.

dessertrat
11-21-2007, 12:51
I never ever talk about gear on the trail unless someone else asks me about it for some reason. That is solely left to the board here for folks that want to talk gear.

That's a very wise policy. I think it's fine to share one's gear philosophy if asked, but I am tired of people wanting to talk gear. It always ends up with them being insulting, or being insulted by the fact that I don't agree that Pack X or Tent Z is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

mudhead
11-21-2007, 12:52
It's called "Woodsman." You probably qualify.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 12:53
That's a very wise policy. I think it's fine to share one's gear philosophy if asked, but I am tired of people wanting to talk gear. It always ends up with them being insulting, or being insulted by the fact that I don't agree that Pack X or Tent Z is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I can think of a few occasions where someone shows me their gear telling me what I need to get. Usually not an ultralighter either LOL.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 12:53
I actually think that is most of us.

yes it is

Summit
11-21-2007, 12:54
No one else decided to slot hikers by what they carry.Oh really? Are you sure about that? Read anything here on WB lately? I've read some pretty heated debates/disagreements. Why do you think I did the analysis in the first place? In case you missed it, "to help us all realize that none of the categories are “WRONG.” They are personal choices."

Mags
11-21-2007, 12:56
Seems the more experienced a person is (usually), the less they talk about gear.

Just a thought.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 12:58
Oh really? Are you sure about that? Read anything here on WB lately? I've read some pretty heated debates/disagreements. Why do you think I did the analysis in the first place? In case you missed it, "to help us all realize that none of the categories are “WRONG.” They are personal choices."

in your 3rd category you said these are the folks MOST LIKELY to violate LNT. where'd you come up with that crap? i've seen go-liters do all kind of stupid s**t

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 13:00
Naw, what is wrong is deciding that something is "the best" to the point it cannot be challenged. See, what I am getting from you is someone dissed your favorite gear. In my experience this is usually:

1. A water filter
2. A Jetboil
3. A gadget.

From what LWolf has said, someone must have stepped on your 3. A bear canister. I could be wrong.

There isn't a "best" and sometimes, while there may not be a best - there are some things that don't make sense to carry. Like a gun, mesh bear bags, hammers to pound in stakes, etc. There are things people get into their mind that they need to be comfortable and happy when it isn't necessarily true. With some people they get it right away, some come around sooner or later, and some get passive agressive.

Summit
11-21-2007, 13:02
in your 3rd category you said these are the folks MOST LIKELY to violate LNT. where'd you come up with that crap? i've seen go-liters do all kind of stupid s**tRemember, my premise was that we're focused on long distance hiking. Many in the 3rd category will jetison unnecessary gear wherever they decide they are tired of carrying it.

Summit
11-21-2007, 13:09
Naw, what is wrong is deciding that something is "the best" to the point it cannot be challenged. See, what I am getting from you is someone dissed your favorite gear. In my experience this is usually:

1. A water filter
2. A Jetboil
3. A gadget.

From what LWolf has said, someone must have stepped on your 3. A bear canister. I could be wrong.

There isn't a "best" and sometimes, while there may not be a best - there are some things that don't make sense to carry. Like a gun, mesh bear bags, hammers to pound in stakes, etc. There are things people get into their mind that they need to be comfortable and happy when it isn't necessarily true. With some people they get it right away, some come around sooner or later, and some get passive agressive.I don't have a problem at all with LWolf or anyone else not being "sold" on a bear cannister or anything else that I might state that I use and like a lot. To each his own. Which is the point of my starting this thread, to attempt to explain what constitutes "to each his own" in the first place. It's fine if you disagree with my categorizations or technique, but to start calling me amature and the like denotes an immature reaction on your part.

mudhead
11-21-2007, 13:14
We are all different. I carry a plastic yellow whistle. Some find that useless.

I like it.

Summit
11-21-2007, 13:14
Where is the "turn the other cheek" and "judge not..."?Typical response when arguing with a believer! And when used in this context, it indicates cluelessness in what it meant in its original context. :)

Mags
11-21-2007, 13:21
Typical response when arguing with a believer! And when used in this context, it indicates cluelessness in what it meant in its original context. :)

Chill dude. It's just an internet discussion.

Thoughtful Owl
11-21-2007, 13:34
What ever happened to "hike your own hike"? I think the same applies to ones choice of gear. It's alway great when we can agree to disagree, but to get into the type of heated argument that seems to have appeared here, no one comes out a winner. Sgt Rock and Summit you are both winners, each in his own way. Just my thoughts, Happy Thanksgiving!

dessertrat
11-21-2007, 13:40
I think all of you are wrong! You should only carry what I carry. Just like anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac, and anyone who drives slower is an idiot.

Summit
11-21-2007, 13:44

I like it.Ah ha! You leave me no choice but to pigeonhole you into NOT the ULH category! :D :p

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 13:51
Typical response when arguing with a believer!

believer in bear canisters? ain't too many of ya

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 13:59
Typical response when arguing with a believer! And when used in this context, it indicates cluelessness in what it meant in its original context. :)
What makes you think I am not a beliver trying to get you to think about how you are coming across?

Thanks for judging my salvation as well.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 14:00
And have a happy Thanksgiving.

chief
11-21-2007, 14:04
Chill dude. It's just an internet discussion.A typical WB discussion at that, and so entertaining. Please don't chill.

I think Summit has pegged a lot of hikers, who in turn are acting all defensive. I'd like to add one more pigeonhole to, hopefully, offend a few more people.

(4) Hikers who swear they don't care what gear other hikers are carrying. They almost always do, but they'll never admit it because they're SO cool and SO freakin' holy. They'd rather make little passive-aggresive comments so they can later (dishonestly) plead innocence when discussions get out of hand.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 14:08
A typical WB discussion at that, and so entertaining. Please don't chill.

I think Summit has pegged a lot of hikers, who in turn are acting all defensive. I'd like to add one more pigeonhole to, hopefully, offend a few more people.

(4) Hikers who swear they don't care what gear other hikers are carrying. They almost always do, but they'll never admit it because they're SO cool and SO freakin' holy. They'd rather make little passive-aggresive comments so they can later (dishonestly) plead innocence when discussions get out of hand.
LOL, or guys that say they don't do something then do exactly that in so many other ways - there are so many examples of it.

canerunner
11-21-2007, 14:10

One of the limiting factors to this concept is that a lot of people who are asking gear questions don't have any points of comparison, RE: the scenery and wildlife. It's only after getting out there and walking that people have the data to contribute to the scenery and wildlife discussion.

That's not a knock on anyone, but just the reality of it. I know that when I first started hiking, I was all worried about having the right gear. After spending some time on the trail, experience showed me what was needed, and what wasn't. Now, I like to talk about gear (like most of us), but the real meat of what I've gained from the time outdoors is memories of places and things seen.

Gear will change with time, and we are all constantly looking for better gear to use, but in the final analysis, it's not the gear that counts. It's the memories that you gather as you go.

MOWGLI
11-21-2007, 14:12
How about people who claim to be AT purists, but are really yellow blazers? They have have their own place in hell - according to the "bonafide" purists anyway. :D

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 14:13
Yep. I bust on people about their gear and freely admit it - but only on here.

The other thing I do is bust people's balls about judging people based on their gear and their "purist" standards.

And as I said in my first post - there are three types of posters. I can go both ways.

chief
11-21-2007, 14:20
LOL, or guys that say they don't do something then do exactly that in so many other ways - there are so many examples of it.Are you pigeonholing me, Sarge? I'd say I resemble that remark, but then I'd be pigeonholing myself.

whitefoot_hp
11-21-2007, 14:20
I don't have a problem at all with LWolf or anyone else not being "sold" on a bear cannister or anything else that I might state that I use and like a lot. To each his own. Which is the point of my starting this thread, to attempt to explain what constitutes "to each his own" in the first place. It's fine if you disagree with my categorizations or technique, but to start calling me amature and the like denotes an immature reaction on your part.
i dont think to 'each his own' is that complicated. it is self explanatory. all you have done is provided three sterotypes and you suggested most of us fits into one. i dont see the connection to 'each his own.'

Just a Hiker
11-21-2007, 14:23
As becomes evident in many of the threads on WhiteBlaze, I find that most of us fall into one of the following mindsets (categories) regarding the equipment we use, and to a lesser degree, our "style" of backpacking philosophy, which often fuels heated debate for those of us in the first two categories. I am squarely in the “Weight Conscious / Comfort & Convenience Balanced Hikers” category and am occasionally passionate about my choice of equipment, admittedly. My intent is to have a little fun with this, but also to help us all realize that none of the categories are “WRONG.” They are personal choices and as with much in life, choices result in consequences that we must bear.

Ultra-Lite Hikers (ULH)
- Philosophy is simple: Weight is EVERYTHING, to the point of pulling out half the bristles in a toothbrush as being unnecessary and adding weight!
- Frequent shelter users

- Philosophy is: They have weight concerns in the back of their mind, but strive for comfort and convenience balanced with a modest weight pack
- Functionality usually wins over weight when choosing their equipment, but not always

- Willing to carry extra weight if the item adds comfort and/or convenience to the hiking experience
- Low mileage hikers

NOTE: Obviously, we aren’t all square pegs that can be neatly fit into a particular category. A ULH type might carry a “nice-to-have-along” item. He/she might even deviate and occasionally do a hike as one of the other types. Weekend or short mileage hikes tend to gravitate most of us more toward “Comfort & Convenience Hikers,” so these categories apply mostly to our distance hiking mentality.

I am sure you worked hard on this, but it's not completely accurate. If one hikes enough, you'll see a cross-section of your 3 categories. I have seen what you call "Comfort and Leisure Hikers" who bend over and pick up every single piece of trash they find on the trail and are very serious about LNT. I have also seen your "ultralite hikers" who have done some pretty stupid stuff and could care less about LNT. Someone on this thread said that "gear is just a tool", and I happen to agree with that. It's just stuff, and has no bearing on your belief system, your personality, or even if you'll be able to complete a thru-hike. If you are an azzhole off the trail, you'll be an azzhole on the trail......it doesn't matter what you carry or how far you can hike in a day. Just my opinion. :D

D'Artagnan
11-21-2007, 14:30
Unless I ask someone else to carry my pack, I don't personally see why it's anyone's business how much the bugger weighs or what's in it.

As for the spurious premise that there is a correlation between pack weights/type of hiker and the amount of trash they leave behind -- ridiculous!

Smells like trolling to me. :rolleyes:

chief
11-21-2007, 14:30
I'm getting more and more into lightweight gear. I find I can fit more of it into my Gregory Windriver. Only remember seeing 2 of those packs when I hiked in 2000, mine and Brian's (of B&B fame). We carried the packs a long way and we both eventually succumbed to injury. Could be a lesson in that.

SGT Rock
11-21-2007, 14:34
Are you pigeonholing me, Sarge? I'd say I resemble that remark, but then I'd be pigeonholing myself.
LOL, doubt it. I think this just applies to so many stripes of people:

The Christian: Judge not or be judged, but those people are going to hell.

The Purist: I don't care how you hike, but if you blue blaze and apply for your certificate you are a liar.

The Gear Head: There is no best gear, but the JetBoil is the best stove.

The poster: I don't ever pick fights, but every time I say that everyone jumps all over me.

Just a few I have noticed. I like picking at all of them. It is amazing how they always say it wasn't me.

The Old Fhart
11-21-2007, 14:43
SGT Rock-"I like picking at all of them. It is amazing how they always say it wasn't me."I personally like to razz those who make those stupid alcohol soda can stoves.....;)

chief

The Purist: I don't care how you hike, but if you blue blaze and apply for your certificate you are a liar.

The poster: I don't ever pick fights, but every time I say that everyone jumps all over me.

Just a few I have noticed. I like picking at all of them. It is amazing how they always say it wasn't me.

A couple of my favorites:

The Dredge: "Be careful what you post, I'll research everything you ever said, hopefully to catch you in a contradiction, no matter how slight".

The Google Freak: "I look up everything and pass it off as something I always knew".

Summit
What makes you think I am not a beliver trying to get you to think about how you are coming across?

Thanks for judging my salvation as well.Man you sure are trigger happy with your "judgment flag!" :D Show me where I implied that you might not be a believer? It ain't there! :eek:

Summit
11-21-2007, 14:45
A couple of my favorites:

The Dredge: "Be careful what you post, I'll research everything you ever said, hopefully to catch you in a contradiction, no matter how slight".Hey Sgt. Rock, you payin' attention? :D :p

Footslogger
11-21-2007, 14:46
Caution: Drinking the Koolade Can Be Hazardous to Your Health ...

'Slogger

Mags
11-21-2007, 14:47
A typical WB discussion at that, and so entertaining. Please don't chill.

You are right! It is far better to spin wheels. We all know how much opinions are changed via Innertube flame wars. :D

Opinions are like a specific part of the human anatomy: We all have one..and they all stink. :banana

chief
11-21-2007, 15:23
You are right! It is far better to spin wheels. We all know how much opinions are changed via Innertube flame wars. :D

Opinions are like a specific part of the human anatomy: We all have one..and they all stink. :bananaAnd let's not forget how so many flame wars are ended by tired, old cliches.

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to build up my post count. 300 something posts in 5 years is just lame.

Mags
11-21-2007, 15:26
And let's not forget how so many flame wars are ended by tired, old cliches.

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to build up my post count. 300 something posts in 5 years is just lame.

Hey..my cliches are pretty cool if I do say-so-my-self.

Trust me, I won't mind you. That would imply I care about your opinions. :sun

Flush2wice
11-21-2007, 15:28

That list reminds me of this site (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm). The Flame Warrior Roster is a list of caricatures of forum posters. It's pretty funny.

Kirby
11-21-2007, 15:33
I am personally fond of the "I am god and everything I say is right and anything you say that goes against me is wrong" hiker, I have met a few of those people in my hiking days, fascinating people.

Kirby

chief
11-21-2007, 15:41
Hey..my cliches are pretty cool if I do say-so-my-self.

Trust me, I won't mind you. That would imply I care about your opinions. :sun
Isn't life grand?

Marta
11-21-2007, 15:49
Gosh, I go away for a little while and all those fabulous ads for ringtones have disappeared. I'm crushed. I guess I'll just have to open one of the 285 ads for ringtones that show up in my Bulk Mail folder every day.

Obviously the poster had done his market research and knew that Whiteblazers each have several cell phones in need of fresh ringtones.

And now back to the argument...

Mags
11-21-2007, 15:56
Gosh, I go away for a little while and all those fabulous ads for ringtones have disappeared

Totally off on a tangent (What me?)...

During a pub quiz they had a round of songs done with ring tones. The horror. The horror! As if 80s pop songs weren't bad enough, but hearing "WAKE ME UP, BEFORE I GO GO" done with the soothing tones of a Virgin mobile cell phone..... Shudder.

Now where's that Grand candy bar (http://www.nestleusa.com/PubOurBrands/BrandDetails.aspx?lbid=85D970FE-2B77-4D16-9DB0-C9EE911160F6).... I actually thought Life (http://www.boardgamecentral.com/games/life.html) is a board game... :D

Cliched and Yours,

Mags

chief
11-21-2007, 16:20
Totally off on a tangent (What me?)...

During a pub quiz they had a round of songs done with ring tones. The horror. The horror! As if 80s pop songs weren't bad enough, but hearing "WAKE ME UP, BEFORE I GO GO" done with the soothing tones of a Virgin mobile cell phone..... Shudder.

Now where's that Grand candy bar (http://www.nestleusa.com/PubOurBrands/BrandDetails.aspx?lbid=85D970FE-2B77-4D16-9DB0-C9EE911160F6).... I actually thought Life (http://www.boardgamecentral.com/games/life.html) is a board game... :D

Cliched and Yours,

MagsSome guys at my local dive figured they could use their cells to order a round of beers while they lounge on the back patio, but my fav barkeep, always wise to customer's tricks, replied to their first call, "I'm sorry, we don't deliver to that area".

Life is a game, but one I prefer to the alternative.

Summit
11-21-2007, 16:51
For those who understood where I was trying to go with this thread (#1 post) and responded positively and constructively, thank you! To say the least, it did not invoke the receptiveness I had hoped for. I apologize to anyone offended by my trying to categorize the psyche of us backpackers, of which I'm chief psycho! :eek: Now . . . where can I find a good social experiment? :p :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2007, 17:01
Now . . . where can I find a good social experiment? :p :DIn a shelter :D

Johnny Thunder
11-21-2007, 17:04
Hiking without whiskey is just walking with a heavy load.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 17:05
hiking with leki poles is really dumb

Summit
11-21-2007, 17:09
hiking with leki poles is really dumbGlad I just got Komperdells . . . I so much want to be on your good side LWolf! Especially since you won't buy into my BearVault suggestion! :)

take-a-knee
11-21-2007, 17:33
Some of you guys have way too much free time...get a part-time job, you can use the money to buy some new Lekis or a Jetboil.

Summit
11-21-2007, 17:49
Some of you guys have way too much free time...True, due to vacation this week. Don't need a part-time job, got a JetBoil and some new trekking poles will be under the Christmas tree. So what am I to do? :banana

rafe
11-21-2007, 17:51
[where to find "social experiment"]

In a shelter :D

Not that far off! There's no doubt in my mind that Benton MacKaye was a "social engineer" of the highest order.

Mags
11-21-2007, 17:58
Hiking without whiskey is just walking with a heavy load.

..or wine, Irish cream liquer, etc. etc. etc.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=15096
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=12948
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14533

DavidNH
11-21-2007, 17:58

which leads to the question..where are the threads about the beautiful scenery and wildlife? Gear is just a means to the end, not the end itself.

david

Mags
11-21-2007, 18:00
I apologize to anyone offended by my trying to categorize the psyche of us backpackers

Herding cats anyone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8)?

:D

Mags
11-21-2007, 18:04
which leads to the question..where are the threads about the beautiful scenery and wildlife? Gear is just a means to the end, not the end itself.

david

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66

If you really want some purple prose, this shmuck has a website too:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=51

...and I agree about gear not being in the end to itself.

Kirby
11-21-2007, 19:13
Herding cats anyone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8)?

Haha, that was great, still laughing.

Kirby

troglobil
11-22-2007, 16:17

I like it.
It is useless. I carry the orange one:D

Kirby
11-22-2007, 16:18
I find green to be the most effective one.

Kirby

woodsy
11-22-2007, 22:39
I find green to be the most effective one.

Kirby
Yup, green whistles are the best, orange and yellow ones are useless.
My green whistle has a built in compass and thermometer, neither work any more but the whistle still blows, only cause it's green!
And unlike the orange and yellow ones, the green ones are only loud if you blow in them. Hehe

warraghiyagey
11-23-2007, 17:01
Yup, green whistles are the best, orange and yellow ones are useless.
My green whistle has a built in compass and thermometer, neither work any more but the whistle still blows, only cause it's green!
And unlike the orange and yellow ones, the green ones are only loud if you blow in them. Hehe

So I'm sonfused. Which color whistle is best when hiking the AT?

Kirby
11-23-2007, 17:39

:banana:bananaGreen:banana:banana:D:D

Kirby

woodsy
11-23-2007, 17:41
Green ones work best anywhere, IMO:D

mudhead
11-23-2007, 18:23
This takes "being green" to a whole new level. I have a brass whistle, but do not intend to lose that puppy.

Dakota Dan
11-23-2007, 18:23
I " treat/filter water
I " hang food
Just a few things

I did the same in 76. The only difference was I did use a staff, mostly to keep yard/farm dogs away. I only had one pot and large spoon. No stove, used campfire. Had a Scout canteen and flashlight. Army cloths/boots and some K-rations. Army down bag, poncho, fire starter, etc. Kelty external pack. Tarp.

2008 I would use a water filter just for the pump to get water out of tight spots using its hose. Would toss the actual cartridge once it clogs. Would use a wood burning stove and carry a small folding saw. Would carry a one man tent (don't stay in or near shelters), Have a titanium pot(gift) and one spoon. will use a water bladder. Will convert coke bottles to useful things such as cups, pee bottles etc. Now have a internal pack and a NF Bag (would still use my old bag and Kelty external if I had them) and may convert back to an external pack. LED light. Clothing changed to newer high-tech stuff, except for wool sweater. And the most important and by far the best change would be the use of my all-leather Fabiano Boots.

Programbo
11-23-2007, 20:32
I " treat/filter water
I " hang food
Just a few things

Actually in 1975 or so that would have made you just a typical backpacker (Except the shelter part but then again they were less populated back then)...I wonder when the connection between weight and miles started because we commonly carried 40+ pounds in packs people today would laugh at as being to large and heavy and I can recall many 20+ mile days.....I`d be more interested in a thread about "mindset" not about gear but about why people are on the trail in the first place

Summit
11-23-2007, 22:58
I`d be more interested in a thread about "mindset" not about gear but about why people are on the trail in the first placeThat is a most interesting topic!

Personally, I like to balance hiking and camping (always have, even when I started in my twenties (57 now). I usually get in my 10-13 miles by 2-3 pm and stop at the first nice campsite with water nearby after hitting 10 miles. I like to stop early and relax and enjoy the camping part.

After setting up my tent and getting water, I usually kick back, make some Crystal Lite tea and fire up my favorite pipe with Edwards Scottish Moor tobacco, settle into my ThermaRest chair, and chill! :)

I love spending time in God's Word, prayer, and enjoying and appreciating His Creation. I find that I usually feel very close to God in this setting. On my Palm Treo cell phone, I have OliveTree Bible software (lots of it, commentaries, devotionals, biblical eBooks, etc.) and usually read for a couple of hours after dark. The PDA is great for this, as the light from the screen (turned down to low intensity) is perfect for this. That allows me to stay awake later and not have to try to sleep for 10-12 hours.

I like meeting and socializing with other people I meet along the trail also, but I'd have to say my greatest desire is to get alone with God, to draw near to Him and give praise and thanks for my Savior, Jesus Christ!

Programbo
11-23-2007, 23:22
After setting up my tent and getting water......

Speaking of that...That looks like an old Eureka! Geom Four Season tent in your pic gallery..That`s a lot of tent to be hauling along the AT....Nice and roomy though

Summit
11-24-2007, 01:14
Speaking of that...That looks like an old Eureka! Geom Four Season tent in your pic gallery..That`s a lot of tent to be hauling along the AT....Nice and roomy thoughYep, it's one luxury I'm spoiled with. It's only 7 lbs, a couple more pounds than the average . . . OK, 4 lbs more than the lite weight ones, but it is great when wet or very cold weather restrict you to your tent. I can sit in my ThermaRest chair inside and read in rain or cold wind. ;)

Flush2wice
11-24-2007, 12:50
.... the whistle still blows, only cause it's green!

Green ones work best anywhere, IMO:D

Make up your mind

Dakota Dan
11-24-2007, 14:21
.....I`d be more interested in a thread about "mindset" not about gear but about why people are on the trail in the first place

My "mindset" back then was that of a basic country kid who had watched the movie "Jeremiah Johnson" and fell in love with the idea of conquering the wilderness, all it took were some friends with the same notion. I still have that feeling.

Grampie
11-25-2007, 13:42

I think a lot of folks who are interested in the outdoors, hiking, biking, fishing, etc., but don't spend the time doing this kind of stuff get a lot of pleasure from being a "gear head". Every oppertunity they have they like to discuss, post on Whiteblaze, their so called knowlege.
The folks who talk the talk and do the walk are the ones that talk about the experience. :-?
On my thru I met quite a few of this type of hiker. They were there for the begining, to discuss the superior equipment they had and how much easier their hike was going to be, but as the time passed they all seem to leave the trail.
In my opinion; A thru-hike is more of a mental chalange than a physical one. Therfore what you carry in your head counts more than what's on your back.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2007, 13:44
In my opinion; A thru-hike is more of a mental chalange than a physical one. Therfore what you carry in your head counts more than what's on your back.

pretty much it in a nutshell

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-25-2007, 13:53
In my opinion; A thru-hike is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Therefore what you carry in your head counts more than what's on your back.::: Dino seen cheering and applauding :::

Programbo
11-25-2007, 16:49

This is true and goes back to something I`ve always said..While physical condition certainly helps, it all depends on WHY someone is doing a thru-hike that will affect their chances of making it X number of miles

Appalachian Tater
11-25-2007, 18:28

Ultra-Lite Hikers (ULH)
- Frequent shelter users

- Low mileage hikers

I think your categories are a little mixed up. Comfort and functionality is carrying as little weight as possible. Carrying extra weight decreases hiking comfort and functionality, it doesn't increase it. And some of the "old school" hikers who carry heavy packs are scrupulous about LNT.
Perhaps some people emphasize comfort while walking over comfort in camp, and vice versa.

Tin Man
11-25-2007, 18:44
Reading this thread for the first time makes me want to carry booze and little else.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2007, 20:42
Carrying extra weight decreases hiking comfort and functionality, it doesn't increase it. And some of the "old school" hikers who carry heavy packs are scrupulous about LNT.

that's BS. where'd you come up with that?

Tin Man
11-25-2007, 20:44
that's BS. where'd you come up with that?

It's simply another case of trying to put people into categories - ain't no such thing, well except the sheeple category. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-25-2007, 20:45
I..... except the sheeple category. ;)That was so baaaaahddd

Tin Man
11-25-2007, 20:49
That was so baaaaahddd

Thanks! :D

Mags
11-25-2007, 21:31

Yep. That sounds about right.

Gear is merely the tools to do what you want. It is what you do with the tools that is the most important.

Nightwalker
11-26-2007, 00:21
It's simply another case of trying to put people into categories - ain't no such thing, well except the sheeple category. ;)

I have seen folks say "sheeple" a lot, and talking about different things. I think I finally figured it out, though. If you are in a crowd of folks that believes differently than I do, then you're a Sheeple. If you're in a crowd that believes the same things that I do, then we're Like Minded. Is that about right? :)

Nightwalker
11-26-2007, 00:23
I used to be into gear a lot more than I am now.

I think that I just finally got most all of what I want/need and don't worry about it any more.

Tin Man
11-26-2007, 00:25
I have seen folks say "sheeple" a lot, and talking about different things. I think I finally figured it out, though. If you are in a crowd of folks that believes differently than I do, then you're a Sheeple. If you're in a crowd that believes the same things that I do, then we're Like Minded. Is that about right? :)

Nope. I was merely pointing out the absurdities of categories.

Tin Man
11-26-2007, 00:27
I used to be into gear a lot more than I am now.

I think that I just finally got most all of what I want/need and don't worry about it any more.

That would put you in the Like Minded category. ;)

Nightwalker
11-26-2007, 00:33
That would put you in the Like Minded category. ;)

Very good. :)

Heater
11-26-2007, 00:43

No.

It is pretty simple and straightforward. :-?

"Sheeples" are those that blindly follow without thinking for themselves. ;)

Nightwalker
11-26-2007, 00:46
No.

It is pretty simple and straightforward. :-?

"Sheeples" are those that blindly follow without thinking for themselves. ;)

I apparently didn't flavor the intended sarcasm there quite enough.

I've seen people on both sides, especially in political arguments, acting like sheep while accusing there enemies of being such.

It's just one more insult in an insulting world. :-|

Heater
11-26-2007, 00:56
I apparently didn't flavor the intended sarcasm there quite enough.

I've seen people on both sides, especially in political arguments, acting like sheep while accusing there enemies of being such.

It's just one more insult in an insulting world. :-|

Well, I kinda thought so...

...but thought I'd clarify it for the mindless masses.

Tinker
11-26-2007, 03:05
I've seen people packing too much and too little for the conditions and terrain (most of my hiking is done in the Northeast). I have no problems with capable people carrying whatever they feel they need (or don't need). I admit that once in a while I'll meet someone out of shape carrying too much, or someone seemingly underequipped and think " I hope I don't have to carry his sorry butt off the mountain", but mostly I just wish them a nice trip and hike on. Why the need to pigeonhole hiking "types"? This kind of stuff happens too much with religion and politics. Opinions are like........:-?

Midway Sam
11-26-2007, 07:31
Am I the only one who keeps seeing this thread title in the list and thinking it says "Hiking Midgets"?

Marta
11-26-2007, 07:56
Am I the only one who keeps seeing this thread title in the list and thinking it says "Hiking Midgets"?

How dare you!!! Midgets have the right to hike, too.;)

EWS
11-26-2007, 08:15

It actually says "Backpacking Midgets", some people see what they want to see.

Nightwalker
11-28-2007, 00:42
How dare you!!! Midgets have the right to hike, too.;)

Just so they don't bring a dog, right? :)

4eyedbuzzard
11-28-2007, 11:15
... Trying to plug hikers into a bell curve and predict how and why they do things off what stove or filter or pack they carry is about as logical as deciding what religion I am based off what I eat on a given day.

Then again, if one were observed at a shelter eating a nosh of matzo ball soup and gefilte fish... :-? :rolleyes:

Just sayin'... ;)

Smile
11-28-2007, 11:28
More gear doesn't make you a better hiker, unlike some sports fantasies. :)