PDA

View Full Version : Movement in the Adirondacks

ki0eh
11-21-2007, 10:37
Just want to make sure prospective NCT hikers in the Adirondacks see this opportunity to comment, as the spirit moves you: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/39658.html

Lyle
11-21-2007, 13:39
Please!

This is a very important period in attaining this agreement. It has been something the North Country Trail Association and the NPS have been striving to achieve for over two decades. The folks in New York are very protective of the Adirondacks for good reason. The door is now open. There has been extensive cooperation and deliberation between the New York officials, the NCTA and NPS over the past two or three years. MANY hours/days/weeks/years have gone into developing this route that is acceptable to all parties involved.

Please let your support for this proposal be known.

Peaks
11-21-2007, 18:15
If I didn't have slow dial-up, I'd down-load the details. But 70 miles of existing trails, and 50 miles of new trails. I suspect it's the 50 miles of new trail that's contraversal.

And I'll probably get flammed for this, but if you think the New Hamshire trails are rough and rocky, you should see the trails in the Adirondacks. Major need for maintenance and rebuilding.

Lyle
11-21-2007, 18:27
I haven't personally been to the Adirondacks yet, but my understanding is that they won't allow the NCT to traverse the High Peaks area due to the overuse the area is already getting. That said, the proposed route will traverse some beautiful Wilderness, that is currently little used. If this is approved, there will be volunteers and some money available to add to the maintenance currently being done. Should be a win win situation. However Peaks is right, higher use and changing the character of the area are the concerns that the New Yorkers have.

Toolshed
11-21-2007, 18:41
It seems like this has ben floating around for at elast a decade or so. I remember reading about it back when I was involved with the ADK Mtn Club.

I was reading recently somewhere that there is also a proposition to reroute many of the high peaks trails from going straight up the mountains, to more of a switchback with grades around 8-10% instead of 20-40%.
Having spent many years in the ADK's and knowing the volume of people that go there, I would much rather see the money spent to upgrade existing trails.

MOWGLI
11-21-2007, 18:48
It seems like this has ben floating around for at elast a decade or so. I remember reading about it back when I was involved with the ADK Mtn Club.

I was reading recently somewhere that there is also a proposition to reroute many of the high peaks trails from going straight up the mountains, to more of a switchback with grades around 8-10% instead of 20-40%.
Having spent many years in the ADK's and knowing the volume of people that go there, I would much rather see the money spent to upgrade existing trails.

A couple of issues here. Trails are almost always constructed with volunteer labor. The Adirondacks has seen a large number of big land acquisitions in the past 10 years. IMO, there is no reason why more hiking trails can't be developed in the Adirondack region. The key will be sourcing volunteers to build and maintain the NCT, as the area is sparsely populated. It can be done.

I really love the Adirondacks. Last summer my daughter became the 4th generation in my family to recreate in the Adirondacks. We hiked 50 miles of the Northville Placid Trail. I hope to get up there and do some paddling at some point. I also look forward to working on and eventually hiking on this new trail when it is complete.

Toolshed
11-22-2007, 18:26
A couple of issues here. Trails are almost always constructed with volunteer labor. The Adirondacks has seen a large number of big land acquisitions in the past 10 years. IMO, there is no reason why more hiking trails can't be developed in the Adirondack region. The key will be sourcing volunteers to build and maintain the NCT, as the area is sparsely populated. It can be done.

I really love the Adirondacks. Last summer my daughter became the 4th generation in my family to recreate in the Adirondacks. We hiked 50 miles of the Northville Placid Trail. I hope to get up there and do some paddling at some point. I also look forward to working on and eventually hiking on this new trail when it is complete.

While the 46ers have volunteer work crews, the ADK and DEC fund several paid trail crews each summer season. I cannot recall any "truly new" trails being built, but there have been a number of improvements over the years on herd paths as false paths have been blocked off and better, more erosion resistant paths have been created. There is always room for volunteers on trail sections as well as Lean-to's adopters Mowgli, don't limit your efforts to one trail.

warraghiyagey
11-22-2007, 18:28
. . . There is always room for volunteers on trail sections as well as Lean-to's adopters Mowgli, don't limit your efforts to one trail.

Didn't sound like he was to me.

Hammock Hanger
11-22-2007, 18:29
I lived in the ADK's for 8 summers, working as an Out-of-Doors instructor at a youth camp, backpacking and kayaking. I have hiked the entire NPT. Yes, the trails in the ADK's can seem rough but to me no rougher then Maine. I love them, except those closest to the ADK Loj as they are over used, in comparison to others. From my brief reading of the original post and the proposed area, non of which is in the busy High Peaks area, it looks like a good plan. I for one would be all for it.

Newb
12-31-2007, 08:24
Judging by the title of this thread I thought it was about taking a poop in the mountains.

partly cloudy
04-28-2008, 11:08
The NCTA personel and the Finger Lakes trail assoc. has been working many years to get the NCT to Crown Point. Finally an agreement has been made to allow the NCT thru the park. It will follow existing trail and some "illegal" trails.

Interesting enough, about 25 years ago, the Vermont Long Trail people didn't want the NCT connecting to them. The attitude has changed and now there is a possibility of connecting the two. Still talking but looking better.

Ya gotta hand it to the NCTA and FLT people for their perseverance. Many trips and much talking has brought them to this point. One more step in completing the whole NCT.

Good Job