PDA

View Full Version : "Quotes"

Hammock Hanger
10-01-2002, 11:42
A lot of us have our respected signature lines, however, I often come across quotes that I find interesting. When I do I'll post them here. Others please do the same.

Found on the Women's Hiker Group Site: "A world without wilderness is a cage." - David Brower

Hammock Hanger

Hammock Hanger
10-01-2002, 12:10
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been." --Alan Asley-Pitt

Hammock Hanger

Hammock Hanger
10-01-2002, 12:19
When he resigned from his job of 19 years to go traveling the US with me he included this quote in the letter of resignation.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover I had not lived."
--Henry David Thoreau

Unfortunately after 5 years he returned to the corporate world. He says so that we had the funds to support my wonderings... :D

Hammock Hanger

Kerosene
10-01-2002, 15:02
HH- ...to support your "wonderings" or "wanderings"?

Hammock Hanger
10-01-2002, 18:02
wanderings!! ADMIN: Ya got help us challenged people out there and get spell check. One cuz I suck at it, two cuz sometimes my keyboard sucks at it. HH:rolleyes:

EarlyRiser
10-01-2002, 21:21
yes i blame all of my mistakes on the keyboard ;)

SGT Rock
10-01-2002, 22:00
A wise man once told me there are three simple rules:

1. Don't pay attention to the monkeys in the other trees, worry about your own tree and your own monkies.

2. Don't throw coconuts at the other monkies.

3. NO SNIVELING!

MedicineMan
10-02-2002, 04:14
'I must hurry for there go my people and I am their leader.'
Albert Thomas Dosser III 1963

Uncle Wayne
10-02-2002, 06:34
At least it has been attributed to him:

Can you fix the problem? If so there is no need to worry about it. You can't fix the problem? If so there is no need to worry about it.

Kerosene
10-02-2002, 11:41
Don't throw coconuts at the other monkies.
Hey, I wasn't trying to play typo police! I was trying to figure out if HH sat around wondering about her hikes and where she was or thinking about her wanderings. Besides, if I was going to police spelling around here, I'd be very busy with some of you. I'll leave that task to our self-proclaimed nitpicker, The Weasel. :D

Hammock Hanger
10-02-2002, 12:21
Actually I sometimes wonder about my wanderings...;)

Hammock Hanger

attroll
10-03-2002, 00:25
I like that one HH. I think I will use it if you do not mind?

Hammock Hanger
10-03-2002, 08:56
Be my guess...:D HH

EarlyRiser
10-05-2002, 18:19
Trail yeti might enjoy this one,

"there is nothing like the joy of being pantsless"

not sure who said it though.

Trail Yeti
10-06-2002, 13:52
You got that one right Early!!!

prozac
10-09-2002, 11:15
Dachonkin, your scoutmasters quote sounds very similiar to one of my favorites.
There go my people.I must find out where they are going so I can lead them. ALEXANDRE LEDRU-ROLLING 1807-1874 Prozac

Lone Wolf
12-09-2002, 20:42
"Here's the ultimate recipe. You ready? Kill stuff. Add fire. Eat. Burp. Have a good night. Thank you very much. Drive safely."
-Ted Nugent

chief
12-10-2002, 12:13
here's one that applies to more than a few of us (well, me anyway):

"Grow up as soon as you can. It pays. The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams, the old, servants of regret. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits". - Hervey Allen

Lugnut
12-10-2002, 14:04
I think that Steven Wright's quote is appropriate for us hikers:
"Anyplace is within walking distance if you have the time".

Hammock Hanger
12-13-2002, 20:48
The following is a rendition of "Twas the Night Before Christmas" by a friend on the Women's list that I just love and wanted to share.:)

TWAS THE HIKE BEFORE CHRITSMAS...
> Twas the hike before Christmas
> And on the A.T.
> Not a creature was stirring
> But the rodents and me.
> Most hikers were home snuggled warm in the beds.
> And I thought more than once I was out of my head.
> I in my winter gear, boots and my pack
> Had just ambled in from a cold winters trek.
> I'd been hiking all day and I really was spent
> So I quickly ate dinner and put up my tent.
> I snuggled down in my bag rated to 0 degrees
> And I said a quick prayer that my boots wouldn't freeze.
> I was just drifting off when arose such a clatter
> I tried to get up to see what was the matter.
> I unzipped my bag and quickly I tried
> To zip open the tent and to throw back the fly.
> And what to my wondering eyes should appear
> But a backpacking Santa wearing full hiking gear.
> He was dressed all in gortex from his head to his toes
> >From his Kelty right down to his Leki trekking poles.
> On his head a bandanna instead of a cap.
> In his hand he was clutching a profile map.
> And instead of the guy who never passed up a feast
> Old St. Nick must have dropped 40 pounds at the least!
> "Why Santa!" I said "Is everything all right?"
> "You should be giving out gifts on the Christmas Eve night!"
> "My dear friend" he replied "The stress just gets too much!"
> "With the holiday season and all the toys and such"
> "So I'm hiking the trail as the season grows near"
> "And I'm leaving the work to my elves for this year"
> "To Katahdin!!" he shouted and gave me a wink
> Then he gave me my leave and he left me to think.
> But I heard him exclaim as he strode out of sight...
> "MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!!"
> By Jessy Oberright "Swamp Fox", Christmas 1999
>
Hope you enjoyed it. Hammock hanger
>

Redbeard
12-20-2002, 11:05
If you trip and fall on the trail, remember this;"The knack to flying is easy, throw yourself roughly to the ground and miss." -Douglas Adams

Hammock Hanger
01-30-2003, 07:07
Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by an encounter with another human being. Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light.

- Albert Schweitzer

Hammock Hanger

Moose2001
01-30-2003, 08:01
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
Dave Barry

Moose2001
01-30-2003, 08:05
Here's the quote I'm saving for my final journal entry from Maine. Who else would be more appropriate to quote than Earl Schaffer?

The Long Cruise was finished. Already it seemed like a vivid dream, though sunshine, shadow, and rain. Already I knew that many times I would want to be back again. On cloud-high hills where the whole world lies below and far away. By the wind-worn cairn where admiring eyes first welcome newborn day. To walk once more where the white clouds sail, far from the city clutter. And drink a toast to the long High Trail in clear, cold mountain water. Beside me as I stood there, happy yet sad, was another weatherbeaten sign, on a post held up by a heap of
gathered stones.

Earl Schaffer, atop Katahin, upon completing first uninterrupted solo-hike of the entire AT, 1948

Kerosene
01-30-2003, 14:01
Can't remember who to attribute this to, but it suits me well...

"You don't stop playing because you get old,
you get old because you stop playing."

ganj
01-30-2003, 14:40
Before I had reached New England I asked my buddy Yahtzee (GA-ME 2001) what lies ahead. He told me, "New Hampshire is the reason you hike, Maine is the reason you live."

He was right.

Bad Ass Turtle
01-30-2003, 15:27
This quote has become my motto:

"You gain strength, courage, and confidency, by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt.

BAT

Moose2001
01-30-2003, 15:36
Since we all know that duct tape is THE most important thing carried in our first aid kits.......

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
-Carl Zwanzig

Streamweaver
01-30-2003, 15:50
Eagles may soar But weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!
Steven Wright

Never sniff a gift fish!
Patrick F Mcmanus

SkyKing
01-30-2003, 20:23
Yeah Moose....you hit the head on the nail!!!! A wheel ain't worth crap-ola with pizza. :D
Speaking of which..it's time for another wheel..uhh....cold one!! ;)

Hammock Hanger
01-31-2003, 09:44
You are younger today than you ever will be again. Make use of it for the sake of tomorrow.

- Anonymous

HH

Hammock Hanger
02-03-2003, 18:14
It's the saddest thing in life when you get older and there are a lot of 'what ifs' in your life." — Joe Kita, author of Another Shot

Life is too precious to take a backseat in what goes on. Make lists of all the things you want to do in your life—and in some cases, the crazier, the better. Don't just dream about what you want to do—put your dreams into action!

Actually got this from the Orah site. HH

Lone Wolf
02-03-2003, 18:39
"Like Chief Seattle I, too, consider animals my brothers. And like the good warrior chief, I eat 'em for dinner."
-Ted Nugent

Whittler
02-03-2003, 19:37
This is the one I like the Best:Sometimes I feel like a leaf in a stream...it may whirl about and turn and twist, but it is always carried forward....Daniel Boone