PDA

View Full Version : GSI Extreme Mess Kit...

88BlueGT
11-21-2007, 13:45
Right now I am using a SS mess kit that I got from wal mart a while back and Im looking for an upgrade. I had heard some good things about GSI but I Just want to get people opinions with personal experience with this kit.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?c=4&sc2=66&p=50120&lu=%2flist.aspx%3fc%3d4%26sc2%3d66&

I dont plan on using the cup or the bowl so total weight should be a few oz's less than that. One other thing, I really wanted to use a titanium spork, is this not possible with this pot since its teflon coated? I have heard some things about that but not really sure. I plan on doing a thru hike in about 15 months and plan on using this kit (if its recommended) and I dont want to go 5 months with using plastic utensils. Thanks guys/gals.

88BlueGT
11-21-2007, 13:48
BTW, most of the time this will be used by myself and sometimes used to cooking for my girlfriend also.

I am also ordering an Optimus Nova + in a few days, anyone know how this pot/pan fits on the nova?

Peaks
11-21-2007, 18:06
Part of your answer depends on what type of cooking you plan to do, and what type of stove you are using.

Generally speaking, most long distance hiking keep the cooking real simple: just boil a couple cups of water and throw something in. Don't need more than a pot for that.

Why the titanium spork? the HDPE plastic spoons are just a light, and cost much less.

Dances with Mice
11-21-2007, 20:53
I used a SS mess kit for a couple of years. It was given to me by a rich Uncle who wanted it back when he moved me to another job site.

It was designed, and used, to hold food that had already been cooked and was also designed to be cleaned and sterilized easily. It wasn't really meant to be used as a cook set.

There are many better options available for cooking.