PDA

View Full Version : Ground cloths

Kirby
11-21-2007, 15:23
I was curious what people used for ground tarps for tarps/tents. I was thinking of buying one of those cheap blue ones, setting up my tent on it, and putting holes in it where the poles would need to go, would this work? I refuse to spend 40 dollars on an official ground tarp when I can spend 5-8 dollars on a cheap blue one that will do the same thing.

Thanks,
Kirby

Footslogger
11-21-2007, 15:25
I'm using a piece of "kite" Tyvek.

'Slogger

Freeleo
11-21-2007, 15:26
try tyvek ground cover from six moon designs...or make your own

Johnny Thunder
11-21-2007, 15:29
I was curious what people used for ground tarps for tarps/tents. I was thinking of buying one of those cheap blue ones, setting up my tent on it, and putting holes in it where the poles would need to go, would this work? I refuse to spend 40 dollars on an official ground tarp when I can spend 5-8 dollars on a cheap blue one that will do the same thing.

Thanks,
Kirby

Kirby,

Tevek or clear plastic will work as a ground clothe. Those cheap blue tarps can often be as heavy as the tent that sits on 'em. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about sticking the poles through the tarp unless you're looking to set up your tent without the body...meaning, the lite setup. Unfortunatley, this won't work without the official-$40-rip-off-groundcloth-specifically-designed-for-lite-use. Otherwise, having the groundcloth extend outside the floor of your tent (as you described sticking your poles into it) will only cause your problems.

DAKS
11-21-2007, 15:30
Go to the dollar store and buy "drop cloth plastic" that you would use for covering things while painting. It usually is like 2 millimeters thick and comes in a roll that is like 10 or 20 yards long. Just cut it to size.

Kirby
11-21-2007, 15:36
Kirby,

Tevek or clear plastic will work as a ground clothe. Those cheap blue tarps can often be as heavy as the tent that sits on 'em. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about sticking the poles through the tarp unless you're looking to set up your tent without the body...meaning, the lite setup. Unfortunatley, this won't work without the official-$40-rip-off-groundcloth-specifically-designed-for-lite-use. Otherwise, having the groundcloth extend outside the floor of your tent (as you described sticking your poles into it) will only cause your problems.

Where am I supposed to put the stakes if there is a tarp right under it?

Kirby

The Cheat
11-21-2007, 15:40
Where am I supposed to put the stakes if there is a tarp right under it?

Kirby

The ground cloth should never extend out further than the footprint of the tent. I try to keep it about 2 inches in on each side, this prevents rainwater from being funneled(sp?) in under the tent.

Johnny Thunder
11-21-2007, 15:50
Word

(The Cheat, we did not install this light switch so you could throw Lightswitch-Raves)

dessertrat
11-21-2007, 16:09
I don't use one. A tent with a bathtub bottom should hold up alright without one.

The Cheat
11-21-2007, 16:10
Word

(The Cheat, we did not install this light switch so you could throw Lightswitch-Raves)

The groundcloth is down, yo!

Blissful
11-21-2007, 16:13
Tyvek from the trash bin at a building site.

And a tarp should not be outside the boundary of the tent or it will funnel rain water under your tent.

Lyle
11-21-2007, 16:24
"I recently finished my 5-month PCT thru-hike using your Polycryo ground sheet under my sleeping pad and bivy. I was able to use the same one the ENTIRE 2663 miles, though it now has several duct tape patches on it. The next time someone asks you if it's durable, this is proof that it is. It definitely exceeded my expectations and at 1.5 oz (for the individual size), it is way light." - Wayne Herrick | Lakewood, CO

The above is a quote from Gossemer Gear's web site. I have been using the Polycryo ground cloth for about two years now, they come in a two pack. I'm still on my first one, with no holes or leaks. I pay attention to where I place the ground cloth, but it is AMAZINGLY durable for it's weight. Also packs smaller than a deck of cards, much smaller. The biggest problem is that it is so light (1.5 oz.) that you have to weight it down when you spread it out. Check it out, $6 for two of them. Very happy with mine.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html

Lone Wolf
11-21-2007, 16:38

Thanks,
Kirby

i use no ground cloth. not really needed

Kirby
11-21-2007, 16:42
So, when I buy a tarp, I set up my tent over it and cut off all the excess tarp so that the tarp barely is visible under the tent?

Thanks everyone,
Kirby

The Cheat
11-21-2007, 16:46
So, when I buy a tarp, I set up my tent over it and cut off all the excess tarp so that the tarp barely is visible under the tent?

Thanks everyone,
Kirby

Set the tent on top, mark an outline of the tent, remove the tent, then mark in about 1-2 inches all around. Then cut that outline out.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2007, 17:07
I use Tyvek (a piece of house wrap a friend who owns a construction building gave me. Much lighter than the blue tarp material and can be repaired with ducttape if needed.

Peaks
11-21-2007, 17:41
I don't use one. A tent with a bathtub bottom should hold up alright without one.

That's good until the bottom starts to get holes in it from sharp rocks and stones. I think it's cheap insurance to put something under your tent. Bu 2 mil plastic may be a little thin to prevent punctures.

Deadeye
11-21-2007, 17:47
By the time you wear out the floor of your tent, you're going to want a new one anyway. Guaranteed that something will catch your eye. I don't bother with a ground cloth anymore. If you insist, why not a mylar space blanket - don't weigh much, surprisingly tough, and cheap. The advice to trim the ground cloth a few inches inside the tent footprint is right on.

Tipi Walter
11-21-2007, 19:30
I use a ground cloth inside the tent, not outside as a footprint, since in a hard rain I find water will get between the tent floor and the outside ground cloth, especially when ground water around the tent starts rising. For some reason, in a hard rain the water always seems to sandwich in between the cloth and floor no matter how far back it's cut, etc.

Also, when a tent floor gets some age on it, tiny leaks begin and I find an inside ground cloth helps to keep things dryer than the regular floor, and so with an old floor moisture will stay below the inside tarp. Another reason I use an inside tarp, though, is to protect my self-inflating thermarests from pricks and thorns(would work on the outside for this, too).

Kirby
11-21-2007, 20:46
I use a ground cloth inside the tent, not outside as a footprint, since in a hard rain I find water will get between the tent floor and the outside ground cloth, especially when ground water around the tent starts rising. For some reason, in a hard rain the water always seems to sandwich in between the cloth and floor no matter how far back it's cut, etc.

Also, when a tent floor gets some age on it, tiny leaks begin and I find an inside ground cloth helps to keep things dryer than the regular floor, and so with an old floor moisture will stay below the inside tarp. Another reason I use an inside tarp, though, is to protect my self-inflating thermarests from pricks and thorns(would work on the outside for this, too).

So basically the actual ten floor acts as the tarp and the tarp acts the tent floor?

Hmm, seems like a good idea,
Kirby

bigboots
11-21-2007, 21:01
Maybe I'm just not as concerned about weight (althought this attitude might change once on my thru), I like the multipurposefullness of one of those blue tarps. If its nice out I can just sleep on the tarp, if I just need a quick temporary shelter tied between trees, or (which I have heard people do before) hang it up to keep rain out of the shelter opening. All of these examples have nice to have the "Blue tarp" because of the strong grommets in the corners and edges. When I have it under my tent I just fold it to the appropriate size (nice for those with multiple tents).

slowandlow
11-22-2007, 01:25
I feel pretty confident that you will quickly tire of carrying a 5lb walmart tarp on a thru.

Dakota Dan
11-22-2007, 01:42

Thanks,
Kirby

You could just set up your tent up in a Shelter :eek:

ChinMusic
11-22-2007, 02:10
The ground cloth should never extend out further than the footprint of the tent. I try to keep it about 2 inches in on each side, this prevents rainwater from being funneled(sp?) in under the tent.
When I was a newbie I misunderstood this concept and made my Tyvek 2 inches LARGER than my footprint. No one bothered to tell me I was wrong.

I learned the hard way one night when I woke up nearly swimming......:eek:

Oh, as a side, if you use Tyvek run it through the washing machine once. It will soften it up, make it more quiet, and it still will be waterproof.

Marta
11-22-2007, 07:44
I'm in the mylar space blanket camp. They're light, cheap, and can function as emergency gear if needed. I don't bother to cut to size, but just fold under any extra so it doesn't protrude out from under the tent. I leave about a foot sticking out in front of the tent to function as a doormat. I went through three or four of them during my thru. Some are very brittle and shatter fairly quickly. A really good one I got had a sort of plastic backing. I still have that one.

I think I'll probably buy my next ground cloth from Gossamer Gear, though. That industrial shrink wrap looks just as light and much more durable.

JAK
11-22-2007, 10:26
i use no ground cloth. not really neededI don't use a ground cloth either.

Frosty
11-22-2007, 10:50
Maybe I'm just not as concerned about weight (althought this attitude might change once on my thru), Pobably on the Approach Trail, or going up Sassafras if you skip the Approach Trail.

To answer Kirby's original question, I have a TYVEK ground sheet, which I use for my tent with a floor. (I disagree with the guy who said when the floor gets punctured, he would be happy to buy a new tent. I like to keep my gear as long as possible.)

For my floorless Henry SHires Tarptent, I use 2 mil painters dropcloth. My footprint is wider at the top than the bottom and by carefull measuring and cutting, I can get three groundsheets from one 9x12 dropcloth. Unlike TYVEK, the dopcloth does puncture rather easily, but by being a little careful about removing rocks and twigs, and use of duct tape, I can extend the life. Also, because it forms the "floor" of my tent, if I notice a protrusion after setting up, I can simply lift the corner of the dropcloth remove the offending stick/rock wittout leving the tent or even getting up.

jrturkeycu
11-22-2007, 13:48
Kirby,

You'll probably find that you spend a lot of time in shelters so carrying an excessively heavy groundcloth will be unnecessary. I would suggest a small(er) tarp and then a groundcloth only big enough to lay your groundpad on. If you get a closed cell foam ground pad it'll be waterproof and you tecnically wont need a groundcloth. Although typically a portion of your sleeping bag will fall off. For me, its typically my feet and i have found that wrapping my zipped up rain jacket around the bottom will suffice.

Lyle
11-22-2007, 14:49
Several people have recommended no ground cloth. I like them for a few reasons:
- protect the much more expensive tent floor if you use a tent
- a clean, dry area to lay out your pad and sleeping bag if it's been raining all day and you use a tarp
- a clean, dry area to store gear and step on when entering/exiting your hammock
- a clean spot in a dirty, sometimes wet floor of a shelter
- keep it handy during the day, and you have a dry spot to sit for lunch or a break if it's been raining
- if a little bigger than your sleeping pad and bag, you have a dry area to spread out your gear a bit on wet ground.

For me, the 1.5 oz of my ground cloth is more than worth it for the added comfort and convenience.

Peaks
11-23-2007, 09:01
Now that you mention it, while hiking the AT, I used my ground cloth mostly at shelters to put under my sleeping pad and sleeping bag to hopefully keep them a little cleaner.

Dakota Dan
11-23-2007, 17:41
Several people have recommended no ground cloth. I like them for a few reasons:
- protect the much more expensive tent floor if you use a tent
- a clean, dry area to lay out your pad and sleeping bag if it's been raining all day and you use a tarp
- a clean, dry area to store gear and step on when entering/exiting your hammock
- a clean spot in a dirty, sometimes wet floor of a shelter
- keep it handy during the day, and you have a dry spot to sit for lunch or a break if it's been raining
- if a little bigger than your sleeping pad and bag, you have a dry area to spread out your gear a bit on wet ground.

For me, the 1.5 oz of my ground cloth is more than worth it for the added comfort and convenience.

I agree on using one, I just haven't figured out what to use. I will be trying a sheet of "washed Tyvek" and try to use it for a pack cover too. Have already used several styles or emergency blankets, but they tear up quickly. I'm thinking maybe just a plain plastic sheet, thats easily replaced, may do just fine.

troglobil
11-23-2007, 17:53
I've used tyvek, plastic, and manufacturers footprints.All work well to protect your tent floor. When it comes down to, there is not that much differnce in weights, (unless you are a gram weinee), use what is easy for you to get.

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2007, 18:08
I've used vinyl, plastic & tyvek(tyvek does leak) ground cloths. Now I just don't bother with them, not so much because of the weight, but because of the hassle of packing/unpacking. It's just not worth it, because when it rains you will get wet and if you tear your "bathtub" you got duct tape to fix it - got to use the tape for something. Bottom-line, ground cloths are just a hassle.

troglobil
11-23-2007, 18:13
Not sure how you figure they are a hassle. Mine gets folded and unfolded right along with the tent. I fold each edge towards the middle then fold it all in half. This way the dirty part of the ground cloth only touches dirty ground cloth. then roll the whole thing up. Tent body stays clean. to set up, just unroll and un fold. Going on over 30 years of doing it this way, never a problem.

ChinMusic
11-23-2007, 18:25
You fold a tent???

Dakota Dan
11-23-2007, 18:37
......... Bottom-line, ground cloths are just a hassle.

You could be right, I'm mostly trying to find a pack cover that can double for a footprint.

I like the combo poncho/pack cover thing you can buy or make(I saw it made somewhere) and then mark the thing with a paint pen to help fold/configure into the tents footprint. If all else fails, toss the sucker at the next trash can and stock up on extra duct-tape. I know I'll get holes in the tent bottom, just trying to slow-em up and I've got to have a pack cover anyway.

Lyle
11-23-2007, 20:05
Just a thought, anything you use regularly for a ground cloth will probably start to leak sooner rather than later when on a thru. I wouldn't count on the same piece of material to make a very effective rain cover for my pack.

In years past I used 3 or 4 mil plastic sheeting you can get at any hardware. Lasted a relatively long time, but was heavy and you needed to buy WAY MORE than you needed. Like I said earlier, I now use the extremely light cloths from Gossemer Gear, very light, reasonably tough.

chezrad
11-23-2007, 20:37
The original question was what to use with a tarp? At least that's how I read it. Anyhow last time I was out I cut a large (55 gallon) trash bag in half lengthwise and used that. Worked great, packed small. ready to go again.

mudhead
11-23-2007, 20:42
Slippery?

Toolshed
11-23-2007, 20:46
As was said earlier (if for a tent).
Walmart $5.88 - $6.88 for 10'x25' 4mil & 6mil plastic sheets. Unroll and cutoff a piece as wide as your tent (say 3 feet) and unfold it (10' long). you now have a 3'x 10' groundcloth. Set your tent up with the GC underneath and trace the outline. Then take the GC and follow the outline with scissors, staying 2"-3" inside the guideline. You might want to leave a lip at the front or side for your vestibule (if you have one), but otherwise, that's pretty much it.

Best of all, You still have 22'x10'roll left for numerous other projects or for your mom and dad to pilfer for painting or covering patio furniture for the winter.