PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Blizzard

Lion King
11-21-2007, 16:19
Sitting in the Comfort INn staring at the sideways snow...glad I came into town yesterday after walking for 12 miles in sideways sleet, but now I am stuck in Marshalltown...crap.

The snow is going sideways...stupid weater man said it was supposed to clear up today for the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving...look for my body by the bike trail between Marshalltwon and Rhodes...:D

Trying to decide if I should stay or go...yup..still snowing....if I get my Choice Privelege free room, Im staying...if not....Into the Orenery Wild I go...wild town anyway

A-Train
11-21-2007, 16:22
All part of the journey right LK? Remember, it could be worse. You could me NOT hiking (shudder). Peace!

Lion King
11-21-2007, 16:33
All part of the journey right LK? Remember, it could be worse. You could me NOT hiking (shudder). Peace!

Heehee

Im staying!

I had enough points for a free night!!!!

Thank god...funny, early this morning when I was staling it was like 35 and just blustery, now...wow.

Tomorrow should be cool, but hey, tis the first snow of the season, I better get used to it.

Kirby
11-21-2007, 16:44
Hey Lion King:
Have you hit the part where the trail splits in two? And are you going to hike both sections as part of this trip?

Kirby

Sly
11-21-2007, 19:14
Hey LK, stay warm. What are the women like in Iowa?

MOWGLI
11-21-2007, 19:21

Corn fed? :rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2007, 19:25
Given the weather, I'd say frigid
(somebody had to say it :D)

Lion King
11-21-2007, 19:37
Hey Lion King:
Have you hit the part where the trail splits in two? And are you going to hike both sections as part of this trip?

Kirby

Long past that. In Iowa about 200 miles give or take from Nebraska border..thinking about dinner right now. Nice they have a computer in the lobby.

Lion King
11-21-2007, 19:37

Not wild enough...

Lion King
11-21-2007, 19:39
Corn fed? :rolleyes:

A few yeah. The young ones always want to flirt...stupid high school girls always staying the same age as I get older, yes they do yes they do.:D

(Yes, I know the Wooderson qoute is incorrect)

Lion King
11-21-2007, 19:40
Given the weather, I'd say frigid
(somebody had to say it :D)

tonight anyway.

Day before yesterday I was hiking in shorts and a T, then it rained all morning yesterday, cold sleet...heavy wind, as one local said..."Orenery weather".

Today...well, its still snowing.

MOWGLI
11-21-2007, 19:43
Are you planning on holing up somewhere for the winter and waiting it out? Isn't the Colorado Trail part of the ADT? I don't think you can start hiking that til May or June. I'd be curious to learn more about your plans.

map man
11-21-2007, 19:47
I live just down the road from Marshalltown in Ames, IA. Just finished walking my dog and can't figure what the problem is, Lion King. It's a little below freezing, a little snow on the ground, and a bit windy. Hey, that's what Iowa is like at Thanksgiving, and it feels good to me! Next four days they are calling for highs mid-30s to mid-40s and overnight lows from mid teens to mid 20s. I'm guessing that's nothing you can't handle.

As for girls and women in Iowa -- they're just as pretty as anywhere else, and definitely heartier. Iowa high school girls were playing basketball and fast-pitch softball long before other states (except for Oklahoma) allowed it (other states thought their females were too delicate, apparently).

So have a great Iowa Thanksgiving, Lion King! But if you get any local women to let you cry on their shoulders about how tough you have it hiking in this weather, well, they must be non-natives!

Tennessee Viking
11-22-2007, 00:40
Sitting in the Comfort INn staring at the sideways snow...glad I came into town yesterday after walking for 12 miles in sideways sleet, but now I am stuck in Marshalltown...crap.

The snow is going sideways...stupid weater man said it was supposed to clear up today for the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving...look for my body by the bike trail between Marshalltwon and Rhodes...:D

Trying to decide if I should stay or go...yup..still snowing....if I get my Choice Privelege free room, Im staying...if not....Into the Orenery Wild I go...wild town anyway
I feel ya Lion King. I used to live in Iowa, luckily I moved back a year ago. I was so going mad living in the corn outside Waterloo. Survived 3 strong seperate snow storms with wind chills in the -20. Two tornadoes. And 100+ summers.

I can't remember if Marshalltown is in the viewing area. Be sure to watch KWWL Morning News at 500. Tell me if anchor Chris Carter makes a fool of himself with the Thanksgiving Turkey.

If you are talking about stupid weathermen lets say from KWWL, I would be guessing your talking about Jeff Kennedy.

ki0eh
11-26-2007, 09:33
I feel ya Lion King. I used to live in Iowa, luckily I moved back a year ago. I was so going mad living in the corn outside Waterloo.

Yah, not much for unprogrammed territory there, even in the parks. When I lived a couple of years in Iowa, I spent as much time as I could at the branch site in Chattanooga. :)

I was not too surprised reading in Lion King's journal about first encountering the police there, for such an odd thing as walking alongside the road with a backpack on. I did find that folks were friendly after getting past a substantial reserve, and certainly not always quick to grasp that folks could be doing something a little different. Despite the National Trails Symposium held last year in Davenport, I'm sure it will take some time for the thought that the ADT could pass through Scott County, to penetrate the hinterland.

As far as the girls, it seemed to me that they would either marry their high school sweetheart by age 20, or move to Chicago. Hard not to look, due to high percentage of Swedish ancestry, though. If a woman was unmarried there nearing age 30, there was a definite reason... like they were 300# or so.

With all that, strangely I sometimes miss living there. Good place for road biking, even on Credit Island with its bad reputation and all (though I never tried to camp there). Many more choices for edible food at casual dining restaurants, compared to where I am now. Way more ice cream possibilities! All my 50 year old co-workers had already had multiple heart bypasses. :D

ed bell
11-26-2007, 13:13
I'm a proud product of rural Northern Iowa (is there anything else?:)). Iowans unfortunately do not have a very interesting state geography-wise. If only we could swap boundries with Colorado, I'd move back in a second.:D Good luck LK. Give the Iowans a chance, they really are good folks.

Lion King
11-27-2007, 17:08
I'm a proud product of rural Northern Iowa (is there anything else?:)). Iowans unfortunately do not have a very interesting state geography-wise. If only we could swap boundries with Colorado, I'd move back in a second.:D Good luck LK. Give the Iowans a chance, they really are good folks.

They are indeed.

And for as your Q Mowgli,
I am still at it, I am almost broke and hoping fro a miracle, but the plan is to hike nonstop to Denver, then turn around and hike the Southern tier back to Cin. and then take a train back to Denver and hike West to San Fran...we will see. It has averaged about 30 during the day with wind and about 12 or so at night all this week and I am fine.