PDA

View Full Version : Pine Mountain Trail

tucker0104
11-21-2007, 17:20
Has anyone hiked the Pine Mountain Trail in Georgia? If so, what did you think of it?

take-a-knee
11-21-2007, 17:30
It is a really nice trail, I plan to go there this weekend. It runs generally east-west through FDR State Park. The paved road through the park runs on the main ridge and the trail criss-crosses the road every 4-5 miles or so. Deer and turkeys are abundant. Water is probably pretty scarce now, there is more water on the east end as I remember.

You must have a backcountry permit, $3 per person per day, this is waved for Pine Mountain Trail Association members. You must pay $3 per day parking fee if you park in the park. If you park at the store parking lot at the western terminus there is no parking fee.

Go to the PMTA's website, there is info on shuttles there.

Egads
11-21-2007, 21:13
Tucker0104,

It's an easy trail but real scenic for middle georgia. You can cache water since the road parallels the trail. There used to be a nice swimming hole on hte East end if the trail.

Have fun

Egads

iesman69
11-21-2007, 21:48
For the amount of use it gets from both east and west end, trail is in great condition. Easy hiking, and some great views; my favorite is to view the setting sun on Sunset Rock. Easy access throughout FDR state park, and on either end. Be sure to visit the new F.D. Roosevelt statue/monument on Dowdell's Knob, FDR's favorite picnic spot.

Good time of year to hike, and to visit Callaway Gardens.

Egads
11-21-2007, 23:18
I forgot to mention that you can score a great dinner at the pine mountain restaurant just off the trail near the midpoint.

Egads

slowandlow
11-22-2007, 01:13
I like to think of it as a mini-Shenandoah: lots of people on the weekends, criss-cross the road many times, but good views, wildlife, easy terrain. No steep climbs but footing can be rocky at times. We have had a couple of days of rain and most of the water sources are streams rather than springs, so I wouldn't worry about water. iesman69 I had no idea there was another WBer from Phenix City, AL. I thought I was the only one!

orangebug
11-22-2007, 18:52
Very nice trail and an easy introduction for anyone not into backpacking. The number of ridge exposures make for some very nice views. The eastern third of the trail has a number of nice waterfalls. Wildlife is plentiful, but keep an eye out for rattlers sunning themselves, even in this time of year.

There are a number of cabins with the state park service that you could use for a base camp for day hikes. The length of the trail makes it a very nice option for dayhiking, and roadwalking back to the car.

Dowdell's Knob must not be missed. FDR's BBQ pit is there, along with a fabulous view. Visit the Little White House if possible. Dowdell's Knob tells you a great deal about FDR, contrasted to Hitler's mountain retreat.