PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Software

EWS
11-22-2007, 00:42
I order a eTrex Vista HCx and am confused about the specifics of Garmin's land based software.

There are three different programs, which I think will work with the unit:
The US TOPO 24K parks series is pretty straight forward.
Topo US... Is 100k:1 and covers all of North America?
Mapsource City Navigator. A fancy road map of North America?

What are the differences between the TOPO US and City Navigator? This is all I can figure out:
TOPO: Topographic!
City Navigator: More roads. Is it topographic as well?

Thanks!

Cuffs
11-22-2007, 00:46
TOPO software does not work on a handheld gps... use city Nav.

Sly
11-22-2007, 00:46
Topo is for backcountry, trails, fishing, hunting etc. Navigator has more roads, other than the main roads and highways which come with the GPS, and would be better for traveling in a car.

Sly
11-22-2007, 00:48
TOPO software does not work on a handheld gps...

Huh? I had all the GET and CDT maps on my GPS this summer.

Cuffs
11-22-2007, 00:53
Sly, in topo format with all the contour lines?

Cuffs
11-22-2007, 00:55
I
City Navigator: More roads. Is it topographic as well?

Thanks!

City Nav. is NOT topographic. If you are going to use the gps'r for getting around town, you will need this softward tho!!

cavedive2
11-22-2007, 00:55
Topo is just what it say's you can use it with your gps you have to upload the the maps to gps that you want to make. the navigator is the same one that is already installed in your gps but is computer software that allows you to build trips and then put those maps on gps as kinda like an extra file that you can go to when your traveling picking way point that you want to stop at and such and the same thing is done with the TOPO

Cuffs
11-22-2007, 01:00
but do the contour lines show up on the gps'r if using topo software? This would be good. The first 2 Garmmins I owned, topo was not compatible with the handheld unit. If they have made changes, I need to upgrade!!

Sly
11-22-2007, 01:07
Sly, in topo format with all the contour lines?

Yeah, it was sweet. It had the topo, most of the trails, which was good seeing the CDT isn't a finsihed trail, the Forest Service roads, county roads. everything I needed.

I have the discontinued Legend C which only holds 24 MB. It held most but I needed to upload a second set of maps once on the trail.

EWS
11-22-2007, 01:13
Okay...

TOPO is for the outdoors. Sly, did you use the 100k:1 maps or did you feel the need for the 24k:1 maps as well?

City Navigator... This is a combination of the above comments, it has more roads than the TOPO and base map, and is needed for driving navigation. Cavedive says it has the same roads as the base map, huh?

What size memory card do you need to fit the maps on?

Sly
11-22-2007, 01:14
I'm not sure what you're paying but you can get the Vista Hcx for $222 and Topo 2008 for $56 on Amazon right now.

http://tinyurl.com/ypa73n

I paid more for what I have a couple years ago.

EWS
11-22-2007, 01:15
Are the TOPO and City Nav maps completely open, or do you have to buy credits to unlock different regions?

EWS
11-22-2007, 01:17
I got it for $195 at REI. WMPRT7 is good for $25 off of any order over $100. I think it expires Nov 25.

Sly
11-22-2007, 01:20
You can probably fit the entire country on a 2gig card, but I'm not sure. I used the regular TopoUSA 100k maps(older version) but also had paper maps, guidebooks etc.

The GPS was a last resort type of tool but found it very useful in a couple situations. The paper maps I used had a compass rose so I could find out just where I was on the paper map, compare it to the GPS map, took waypoints where I stayed, errors I found in the guidebooks, etc.

Sly
11-22-2007, 01:25
Are the TOPO and City Nav maps completely open, or do you have to buy credits to unlock different regions?

I'm not sure about City Nav. With the Topo CD's (now it's DVD) I didn't need a key to open, which was good because I heard it can screw up. I forget but if yours ask for one try uploading without entering.

Sly
11-22-2007, 01:26
I got it for $195 at REI. WMPRT7 is good for $25 off of any order over $100. I think it expires Nov 25.

Good price! They deliver to Afghanistan? :D

Cuffs
11-22-2007, 01:33
City Navigator... This is a combination of the above comments, it has more roads than the TOPO and base map, and is needed for driving navigation. Cavedive says it has the same roads as the base map, huh?

What size memory card do you need to fit the maps on?

The base maps are very basic, major highways/landmarks. City Nav has these plus all the way down to roads like FS roads.

I think the memory cards for Garmins are only the micro SD cards and they are still not huge on memory...

Now that I know the new Garmins read topo, I need to start shopping!

Sly
11-22-2007, 01:45
I'm not sure if the Vista Hcx takes a 2 gig card but if you Froogle it (products) you can get them for $25-$35. I was able to put 85 maps on 24MB that the Legend C allows. Like I said with 2 gigs you could put every trail you expect to hike in your lifetime in, and then some

EWS
11-22-2007, 01:47
Cool, thanks, Sly and Cuffs.

Yeah Sly, they do deliver over here we've got the USPS, Fed EX, and DHL. But I'm getting out of this hole in a few weeks, so I'm having it shipped to my parents house.

ChinMusic
11-22-2007, 01:52
EWS - The 24K maps are nice but no necessary. I have Topo 24 East and West. They only are 24K for national parks and some major trails. East has the complete AT. It is reasonably accurate but with reroutes and cartographer errors it is not perfect.

If I were going to follow major trails I would think the 100K maps would do. If I were into bushwacking I wuold want the additional resolution of the 24K.

Sly
11-22-2007, 01:58
Cool, thanks, Sly and Cuffs.

Yeah Sly, they do deliver over here we've got the USPS, Fed EX, and DHL. But I'm getting out of this hole in a few weeks, so I'm having it shipped to my parents house.

Well, welcome home. I think Afghanistan was a better place when I was there. . ah, a few years ago. ;)

EWS
11-22-2007, 02:22
Well, welcome home. I think Afghanistan was a better place when I was there. . ah, a few years ago. ;)
Soon, but thanks.

I've heard it was actually pretty cool place... before I was born;)

Cuffs
11-22-2007, 09:49
Sly, can you bring that gps'r to the Ruck, Id love to see it and how that topo looks!

Sly
11-22-2007, 12:08
Sly, can you bring that gps'r to the Ruck, Id love to see it and how that topo looks!

Yeah sure. You used it last year, but I can't recall if I had the area maps in it. Probably not, but I'll add some area maps.

Sly
11-22-2007, 12:19
Soon, but thanks.

I've heard it was actually pretty cool place... before I was born;)

Heh, heh, yeah sometime before you were born, but not by much though. I sent my camera home from Europe, I didn't want the hassle, but here's some photos taken over the last 30's years you may enjoy

Luke Powell (http://avalon.unomaha.edu/afghan/index.htm)

Sly
11-22-2007, 16:19

Yeah sure. You used it last year, but I can't recall if I had the area maps in it. Probably not, but I'll add some area maps.

All set, I have maps from here to Mt Rogers! I also added a few geocaches in the area from geocaching.com. (http://www.geocaching.com/) You can borrow the GPS and check them out if you'd like.

Pretty slick, you can dowload the geocache waypoints right from the website to your Garmin GPS.

Sly
11-22-2007, 16:21
Hey EWS. Here's a geocache in Afghanistan (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f7aa9b33-4d3f-4078-b6d3-50632c519945)! It's an geocache event, tommorrow the 23rd. It also looks like it's in German.

Cuffs
11-22-2007, 16:51
If you are on a military base, there are usually several caches... the personnel set them out just to pass the time!

Cuffs
11-22-2007, 16:53
WOW, theres bunches in Afghanistan!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=12

Sly
11-22-2007, 16:57
WOW, theres bunches in Afghanistan!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=12

Ha,they must have more free time on their hands over there than I thought. Watch out for the landminds. :eek:

N 7422.2mi from your home coordinates

EWS
11-23-2007, 00:18
Heh, heh, yeah sometime before you were born, but not by much though. I sent my camera home from Europe, I didn't want the hassle, but here's some photos taken over the last 30's years you may enjoy

Luke Powell (http://avalon.unomaha.edu/afghan/index.htm)

I'm still looking through them, but the photos are pretty cool.

It would be interesting to see more of thie country, but my job doesn't allow for it. The Soviets did a real number on this place. The "historic" thing that is twenty feet away is the hangar where the Taliban tied the Soviets, who weren't in the last convoy out of here, to the rafters and skinned them. When we came into this place it was littered with old MIGs crashed everywhere. The "retreat" convoy was quite chilling. But they've removed most of that stuff now.

EWS
11-23-2007, 00:20
I like this quote that was in with the photos:

"I will proceed with my history, telling the story as I go along of small cities no less than of great. For most of those which were great once are small today; and those which used to be small were great in my own time. Knowing, therefore, that human prosperity never abides long in the same place, I shall pay attention to both alike."

Herodotus

EWS
11-23-2007, 00:28
The geocaching here used to be pretty interesting. People were plotting coordinates in pretty crazy places, around/in old tanks/planes/APCs in the middle of land mine fields, in substructures with old Taliban munitions caches, places you weren't supposed to be i.e. the prison areas, etc.