PDA

View Full Version : some gear advice

rob123ufl
11-22-2007, 01:19
I currently own an MSR miniworks microfilter. I have the ability to purchase a steripen at a really really reduced price, but im not sure if i should bother. i know the steripen is lighter, but it doesn't address the issue of particulates. given the water situation on the AT, is that something i should truly worry about?

another question:
pros and cons, compare and contrast: the jetboil or reactor systems, or something a little less "locked-in" like the windpro or pocket rocket, without the "technology"?

thanks.

cheeks
11-22-2007, 01:35
I currently own an MSR miniworks microfilter. I have the ability to purchase a steripen at a really really reduced price, but im not sure if i should bother. i know the steripen is lighter, but it doesn't address the issue of particulates. given the water situation on the AT, is that something i should truly worry about?

another question:
pros and cons, compare and contrast: the jetboil or reactor systems, or something a little less "locked-in" like the windpro or pocket rocket, without the "technology"?

thanks.

Just bring the filter.. Once it clogs, you'll might be switching to drops anyways. They're a lot lighter. The steripen's aren't bad, though, but honestly they're just one more thing to break.

Don't buy a stove unless you already have one, just build an alcohol stove from a pop can. I still have the one I made in 2001, and it lasted me the entire thru-hike and is still kicking today. It is the ion stove on sgt. rock's website ( hikinghq.net ) You can always buy a stove along the way if you reeeeally want one.

ChinMusic
11-22-2007, 02:01
rob - I have the Steripen and have read of many thrus that have successfully used a Steripen on their trek.

I would THINK the water on the AT, for the most part, is easily clear enough for the Steripen. I would carry some Micropur tablets for emer use should you be forced to use turbid water.

I recently camped at Walnut Mt Shelter (near Hot Springs). The water source was down to basically a mud puddle. I put 3 liters in my Platty and just let the particulates settle out. I then carefully poured off the top and had water plenty clear to use my Steripen. Had I been in a hurry I would have had to use my Micropurs.

Hope that helps.

Oh, if you do go with the Steripen make SURE you use Lithium batteries.

WhoAh
11-26-2007, 00:34
Given the potential water shortage I would probably take a filter - you can always send it home if it turns out you don't need it, but if you're scraping the bottom of the spring/creek for some H2O, I'd want something to get the nasties and the particulates out.

I used the WindPro this year for my attempted through. I did not have any problem finding fuel, and while others were attempting to get alcohol stoves going in the cold/wind, I was chowing down.... saw a lot of JetBoil stoves as well, and they were going great as long as they had some form of wind screen (becareful of overheating the fuel cylinder...).

Bottom line is, take what you know will work at the start and adapt as you go. After the Smokies you might want to ditch the heavier stove and go with an alcohol one, and if the springs are running well you could switch to the Pen or just drops. You'll figure it out.

maxNcathy
11-28-2007, 17:05
The Pocket Rocket does a great job. It heats quickly and simmers very low if you need that.I love mine.

Mags
11-28-2007, 17:25
Rob,

If you are concerened about saving money, something like idoine tabs will be a much better fit for your budget. Many people (myself included) prefer this simple, cheap and effective solution. A bottle of Polar Pure is slightly heavier, but there is a good chance it will last an entire thru-hike.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=13879

Don't forget to bring hand sanitizer. Washing your hands is just as, if not more, important than treating water.

chicote
12-06-2007, 18:41
all great advice from above. Also.. one thing I enjoyed about my filter was instant gratification oh and that nice mountain taste that the tablets and drops seemed to ruin.

I used both Pocket Rocket and a home made alcy stove. Both are great.
I'll say go economical from the get go then if you don't like your set up switch out, that way you're not wasting money on something you might not like.

cheers,

GG

Pedaling Fool
12-06-2007, 18:54

another question:

thanks.
Filter Question: I don't treat water, so I can't answer.

Stove Question: I use the Jetboil PCS and it works great for my needs. I cook an elaborate dinner (self dehydrated foods) and always breakfast and coffee - the JB is known for boiling water quickly, but it's also great for simmering. The small fuel can lasts me about a week and 2 weeks for the large; people who cook simple meals w/ a JB get much more time from their canisters.

As for the MSR Reactor system, I've only seen the specs online, I think it's a new system. However, I believe it boils water much quicker than the JB, although, I believe, it's fuel economy is not as great. It's also very expensive.

As for the Pocket rocket and like stoves, I don't like mainly because of the noise, and fuel economy. Although, the nice thing about the pocket rocket is the small size and simplicity.

mudhead
12-06-2007, 19:02
I like my Jetboil. It makes quick coffee. Very quick. Cools off quick, too.

I paid $48+ tax. If it broke I would pay $48 tomorrow, but I would not drop $80 on a new unit.

jzakhar
12-06-2007, 19:02
I have a pur filter I was going to leave home, but maybe now ill bring it.

One quick question, do the tablets/drops leave an identifiable taste to the water ?

DAKS
12-06-2007, 20:54
tablets do make yer' water taste a bit funky, but after a few days you get used to it! you can also add drink mixes etc. to mask the flavor if you really can't stand it. it's really not that unpleasant a taste though.

Blissful
12-06-2007, 21:51
The Pocket rocket is a great stove except in the wind. Allows you to cook some nice meals with the adjustable flame. You can save fuel by making a pot cozy. The cans are fairly cheap and easy to get or to mail to yourself up north. I thought the alcohol fumes gave a certain strange taste to food, but it may have been just me. And I saw more than a fair share of black burned circles from alcohol stoves on picnic tables and shelters everywhere. Those things burn everything, it seems.

We used chemical treatment (Aqua Mira) for our water. It can leave a taste if you use too much. Don't use iodine, it stains everything and tastes awful. Some strained out particle matter through bandanas, etc. I never really needed to strain the water, but that may need to be an option with the water sources this coming spring. I know some hikers this past year had problems with Steri pens not working and filters giving out. PB's filter broke on the trail and took a long time to work. He doesn't like it much anymore.

take-a-knee
12-06-2007, 21:58
I use the seychelle gravity filter with a tube pilfered from a camelback.

http://www.seychelle.com/Prodselect.asp?RepID=10001&CategoryID=386&BasketID=

The guys at JRB posted this setup sometime ago over at Hiking HQ. It is lighter than any other filter I'm aware of, about 7 ounces. You need two containers of course, I use 70oz platys. One is "dirty" so if you had to camel up on water, you'll need Katydyn tabs or AM or iodine to go with it, you need a backup anyway, IMO.

jzakhar
12-06-2007, 22:06
Thanks for posting that take-a-knee, I might have to grab one of those. But do you still need to treat it with AM/Iodine ?

Reading this http://www.seychelle.com/AboutSeychelleFilters.asp what is missing that am/iodine would take care of ?

take-a-knee
12-06-2007, 22:23
Thanks for posting that take-a-knee, I might have to grab one of those. But do you still need to treat it with AM/Iodine ?

Reading this http://www.seychelle.com/AboutSeychelleFilters.asp what is missing that am/iodine would take care of ?

You'll be putting untreated water into one platy, then dripping it into the second. The platy you filled with creek/spring water is "contaminated" at that point and you'll need to treat what you store in it (if you needed to use it also). I've used some still, skanky looking water sources a couple of times with this filter and I never got the runs. It works really well for my daughter and I cause you can just fill up and hang the platys in camp to gravity filter, and we share the weight. For a solo thru hiker, it is a judgement call on the weight. To me it looks a lot more foolproof and simpler than a pump.

I took a paper punch and made holes in the bottom flange on the platys and strung some gutted paracord through them to hang them up with.

I would only filter and treat if I were worried about viruses (because viruses are too small to filter), this usually means human habitation or livestock upstream like say, the Toccoa River on the Benton McKaye Trail in GA.

jzakhar
12-06-2007, 22:35
You could also chop the hose on a platty and use it inline right ?

JAK
12-06-2007, 22:40
I would go straight to an intravenous drip system myself.

take-a-knee
12-06-2007, 22:49
You could also chop the hose on a platty and use it inline right ?

I don't use the platy hose, I have the filter plumbed into the camelback hose. The filter comes with pressure fittings on each end for the hose. I bought two more of the right angle platy caps at REI and put those at each end of the camelback hose and I left the camelback on/off/ball valve on the end opposite the filter. I just roll the whole thing up when I'm done and store it in a ziploc. Then use the platy drinking tube or cap on your platys. I'm carrying a couple ounces of extra tubing this way but it makes life simpler. That camelback tubing is light, I weighed it, it weighs half of what vinyl tubing weighs, and that ball valve is an essential part of the system. You can buy the camelback tubing/valve/parts at REI or a big bike store.

jzakhar
12-06-2007, 23:19
thanks so much for posting that, for 25$ you really cant go wrong. I am going to pick one up and test it out a bit with my platty!

Pootz
12-10-2007, 16:28
My hiking partner during my 07 thru hike used both the steripen and the Jetboil. Both worked very well and he used them for the entire trail.

hopefulhiker
12-10-2007, 16:33
I would take a pump filter, In drought conditons some of the water sources turn into little muddy puddles, unless you can handle drinking sludge, I would recommend the filter.. I would take drops too.. I think water is going to be more of an issue next year based on the drought research I have done.. One exception is if you are going south bound, I wouldnt worry so much, but the drought is really bad and will probably have effects into the spring in GA,NC, and TN....