PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Crest Trail DVD Series Bittorent

ProDeal
11-23-2007, 04:17
Howdy all!

I thought I would post the link to the 2006 PCT DVD Series bittorent. They are exact copies of the DVDs- ready for you to burn to disk.

The index for the torrent files is at
http://thepiratebay.org/user/brickster3072 (http://thepiratebay.org/user/brickster3072)

if you don't know what Bittorent is,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent)

To make use of the torrent files to get the DVD images, you need a
Bittorent client program. Get one free at
http://www.bittorrent.com/download (http://www.bittorrent.com/download)

About the series:

The Pacific Crest Trail DVD series combines the photos and video contributions of several dozen hikers from each season. Thousands of photos and many hours of video footage have been sorted through and edited down to create these presentations. It is a true labor of love, as well as a great way for long-distance PCT hikers to share their photography with each other.

One of the primary intentions of these DVD’s is that they are as accessible as possible to anyone who may be interested, so further duplication and distribution is encouraged. However, for a variety of reasons, please do not use the material for any commercial oriented purpose. This series is a private-use creation, a gift to the trail community and we have no intention to sell it.

To get the most out of your viewing experience, we suggest trying to replicate a movie theatre environment as much as possible - a dark room with good sound quality, and in one sitting. For best picture quality, wide screen and HDTV’s should be set to a 4:3 aspect ratio. The 2006 DVD has an option for Dolby 5.1 surround sound for those who have it. In any case, adjust the ambience in your home and get ready for a magical journey.

ProDeal

StarLyte
11-23-2007, 08:23
What an accomplishment. Thank you!

Sly
11-23-2007, 11:06
I need to look at the ones I do have. 2004 & 2005 I think. I haven't used bit torrent before, maybe I'll give it a go.

Sly
11-23-2007, 11:10
What's this mean?

SQL query failed: User tracker already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections.

Wait until later?
Trying again, I got this..

SQL query failed: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Cuffs
11-23-2007, 11:15
ProDeal, are you the maker of the original film? And are now offering it as a DVD?

Sly
11-23-2007, 11:29
ProDeal, are you the maker of the original film? And are now offering it as a DVD?

I think he may be. Members of the pct-l were making them for others and paying it forward until someone came up with the idea of making it available by bit torrent. Which reminds me, someone already sent me the new DVD!

Cuffs, If you want a copy I'll make you one. I just have to find it!

Cuffs
11-23-2007, 11:33
Please, yes Sly, I want one!!

Sly
11-23-2007, 11:34
Please, yes Sly, I want one!!

OK, let me find it. I just got it a couple weeks ago, it has to be here some place! I'll PM you when I do for your address.

Cuffs
11-23-2007, 11:46
Save the postage, I can wait til Ruck!

Sly
11-23-2007, 11:57
Ha, I found it and started watching it for the 1st time. It's an excellent production with great photos and music.

Cuffs, I'll have to warn you, once you watch it, you'll most likely start making plans for hiking that trail. ;)

Sly
11-23-2007, 11:58
Save the postage, I can wait til Ruck!

Will do...

Ewker
11-23-2007, 12:02
Ha, I found it and started watching it for the 1st time. It's an excellent production with great photos and music.

Cuffs, I'll have to warn you, once you watch it, you'll most likely start making plans for hiking that trail. ;)

after watching some of the DVD's I can agree with Sly you will want to hike the PCT

Frosty
11-23-2007, 18:11
I need to look at the ones I do have. 2004 & 2005 I think. I haven't used bit torrent before, maybe I'll give it a go.I just downloaded a bittorent client, and am downloading the file now. Not sure what to do with it, but since the file is 4.25 Gig, I suppose I will have a couple months before I have to worry about what to do after it finishes downloading...

Sly
11-23-2007, 19:47
I just downloaded a bittorent client, and am downloading the file now. Not sure what to do with it, but since the file is 4.25 Gig, I suppose I will have a couple months before I have to worry about what to do after it finishes downloading...

That's a good question! Try downloading Imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/). Among other things, it will burn iso files to DVD. Great program and it's free.

Frosty
11-25-2007, 01:42
That's a good question! Try downloading Imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/). Among other things, it will burn iso files to DVD. Great program and it's free.It worked. Nice DVD. Just saw Southern California, will watch the rest tomorrow.

For anyone considering downloading DVD file from Post #1, it took me 28 hours with cable internet.

Have fun :D

OregonHiker
11-25-2007, 13:19
Hint:

Once you download these leave don't delete the tasks or move the files. That way others can download form your computer too and it will d/l faster.

Sly
11-25-2007, 13:57
Hint:

Once you download these leave don't delete the tasks or move the files. That way others can download form your computer too and it will d/l faster.

Yeah, isn't that the way bittorent works the best, to leave your computer on for the next guys? :) Rather than opening your computer and files to the anonymous, I think some would worry about being hacked or something. :eek:

tritonl
11-25-2007, 14:08
Once you download the file do you have to write it on a DVD or can you just watch it? And what program do I need to watch it with?

Sly
11-25-2007, 14:18
Once you download the file do you have to write it on a DVD or can you just watch it? And what program do I need to watch it with?

I' found this thread using Google, there are others. Playing iso files (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/153586)

OregonHiker
11-25-2007, 14:56
Yeah, isn't that the way bittorent works the best, to leave your computer on for the next guys? :) Rather than opening your computer and files to the anonymous, I think some would worry about being hacked or something. :eek:

Sorry...just trying to help those new to bittorents

Sly
11-25-2007, 17:18
Sorry...just trying to help those new to bittorents

I know. No problem or need to apoligize. I'll most likely try bittorrent sometime but read where my router needs to be configured. I may not be able to since it's a Linksys WRT54G ver 5

Frosty
11-26-2007, 02:53
Hint:

Once you download these leave don't delete the tasks or move the files. That way others can download form your computer too and it will d/l faster.Not sure I understand this.

Sly
11-26-2007, 09:43
Not sure I understand this.

That's suppose to be one of the advantages of Bittorrent. I'm not exactly sure how it works, you may want to read the Wiki page but, if I'm not mistaken, your computer serves as a server, or seed, I believe it's called. The more seeds the faster the downloads for the next guys.

Alligator
11-26-2007, 12:33
Yes, the more people that leave their bittorrent client open with the file available, the faster the download.

Lots of files available through bittorrent.

It's a good way to catch a show you might have missed.

Uncle Silly
11-26-2007, 16:35
Howdy all!

I thought I would post the link to the 2006 PCT DVD Series bittorent. They are exact copies of the DVDs- ready for you to burn to disk.

Thanks ProDeal! This is very cool and an excellent way to distribute your creation.

One of the primary intentions of these DVD’s is that they are as accessible as possible to anyone who may be interested, so further duplication and distribution is encouraged. However, for a variety of reasons, please do not use the material for any commercial oriented purpose. This series is a private-use creation, a gift to the trail community and we have no intention to sell it.

I'd encourage you to put these products under "Creative Commons" licensing. CC licenses allow content creators to maintain control of their copyright in their content, while at the same time providing an explicit license for the end user to do something with your content. A CC license can allow users to share the content with others, and/or remix the content or reuse some of it in a derivative work, while outright removing the right to make commercial use of the content. It's becoming a fairly well-known alternative to "copyright so-and-so, all rights reserved".

Check it out at CreativeCommons.org (http://creativecommons.org/).

Sly
11-26-2007, 16:44
ProDeal (I wonder if he'll be back) I was thinking of making a copy and raffling it off at the Southern Ruck along with a couple other trail CD's and some other stuff. Money would be donated to the ATC and ALDHA. Would that be OK?

Uncle Silly
11-27-2007, 15:00
I know. No problem or need to apoligize. I'll most likely try bittorrent sometime but read where my router needs to be configured. I may not be able to since it's a Linksys WRT54G ver 5

Check this page out: Special note for users with Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS (http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G _GL_GS_routers). It says your router should be fine (the note does NOT apply to v5 and up).

If you have trouble with it, you can try a third-party firmware (DD-WRT or HyperWRT, both excellent open-source firmwares). But I'd recommend sticking with the official Linksys firmware unless you're experiencing some particular problem.

Sly
11-27-2007, 16:08
Check this page out: Special note for users with Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS (http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G _GL_GS_routers). It says your router should be fine (the note does NOT apply to v5 and up).

If you have trouble with it, you can try a third-party firmware (DD-WRT or HyperWRT, both excellent open-source firmwares). But I'd recommend sticking with the official Linksys firmware unless you're experiencing some particular problem.

From what I understand v5 won't allow third party firmware and is one of it's big knocks. For $40 on sale, I guess I can't complain. If I ever get into bittorret and it doesn't work, I'll upgrade. Otherwise, the router's worked great for 1.5 years.

Uncle Silly
11-27-2007, 16:26
From what I understand v5 won't allow third party firmware and is one of it's big knocks. For $40 on sale, I guess I can't complain. If I ever get into bittorret and it doesn't work, I'll upgrade.

It can be done, but you need special versions of the third-party firmwares. They changed the hardware a lot on v5 and it's not the same machine as earlier versions. Basically, it has less onboard memory, so it's harder to squeeze the programs into the available space. You can use DD-WRT's "micro" builds on v5 and up.

The newer "GL" model is a continuation of the pre-v5 hardware. They are a bit more expensive.

Sly
11-27-2007, 16:57
It can be done, but you need special versions of the third-party firmwares. They changed the hardware a lot on v5 and it's not the same machine as earlier versions. Basically, it has less onboard memory, so it's harder to squeeze the programs into the available space. You can use DD-WRT's "micro" builds on v5 and up.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Sly
11-27-2007, 16:59
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Turn your $60 router into a $600 router for free! I like that.

http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

RITBlake
11-27-2007, 17:06
Great idea but nobody is seeding the torrent therefore it's dying a slow death and not downloading. Torrents only work when:

1. A group of people have the same torrent file
2. Those people are online and sharing (seeding) that torrent file to new people

There are some ways that you can upload a movie to a website, and allow people to stream. Check out http://jaman.com/ You can allow people to 'rent' the movie for a very minimal cost.

Sly
11-27-2007, 17:13
Great idea but nobody is seeding the torrent therefore it's dying a slow death and not downloading. Torrents only work when:

2. Those people are online and sharing (seeding) that torrent file to new people

It's not surprising, this was announced on the pct-l weeks ago.

Uncle Silly
11-27-2007, 19:00
There are some ways that you can upload a movie to a website, and allow people to stream. Check out http://jaman.com/ You can allow people to 'rent' the movie for a very minimal cost.

Given that the purpose is non-commercial, I think Google Video or YouTube would be a more appropriate host for online streaming. And I applaud the use of bittorrent to distribute DVDs -- at least they're standards-compliant, not DRM-encumbered, and work on any DVD player. Jaman movies come with Jaman DRM and need a Jaman player to work. Apple videos come with Apple DRM ("Fairplay", natch) and need an Apple player to work. Until the online-video market settles down, they've probably already got the best solution for distribution.

RITBlake
11-28-2007, 10:46
Given that the purpose is non-commercial, I think Google Video or YouTube would be a more appropriate host for online streaming. And I applaud the use of bittorrent to distribute DVDs -- at least they're standards-compliant, not DRM-encumbered, and work on any DVD player. Jaman movies come with Jaman DRM and need a Jaman player to work. Apple videos come with Apple DRM ("Fairplay", natch) and need an Apple player to work. Until the online-video market settles down, they've probably already got the best solution for distribution.

I agree, google video or brightcove would be great choices. Youtube doesn't allow video uploads over 10 mins until you get director status. I applaud their efforts to put out a video that is not commercial based, personally I was very excited to see it! At least on google video people woudl have a chance to see it! Its probably easier if you break an hour long video up in to 4 chapters.

trippclark
11-28-2007, 11:21

Yeah, I'm noticing the same thing. I have been steadily trying to download it for 3 days now and (last check) I was still at 67%. MOre often than not when I check it, there are no seeds out there and I am uploading but not downloading. I'd sure like to see this. If you have downloaded it already, please seed it for those of us who are trying to download it.

Sly
11-28-2007, 11:39
Given that the purpose is non-commercial, I think Google Video or YouTube would be a more appropriate host for online streaming. And I applaud the use of bittorrent to distribute DVDs -- at least they're standards-compliant

I'm not sure if online streaming and having the world see it was ever the intent. As I said earlier for the last 4 years these videos have been distributed by "paying it forward" throught the pct-l, when the idea of bittorrent came up.

Although all of the photographers for each year have signed off and allowed use of their photos, there's some music...

I've already made a couple DVD's to give away. I'll do another 3.

RITBlake
11-28-2007, 11:49
I'm not sure if online streaming and having the world see it was ever the intent. As I said earlier for the last 4 years these videos have been distributed by "paying it forward" throught the pct-l, when the idea of bittorrent came up.

I'm quite sure I follow the logic, maybe I don't fully get the point of the exercise.

You didn't want to put it on the web for streaming purposes, but it's been made available on bit torrent which is obviously available to the entire www.

I don't want to say underground, but is the goal to have a cool "off the charts" dvd that is passed around among friends?

Sly
11-28-2007, 11:54
I'm quite sure I follow the logic, maybe I don't fully get the point of the exercise.

You didn't want to put it on the web for streaming purposes, but it's been made available on bit torrent which is obviously available to the entire www.

I don't want to say underground, but is the goal to have a cool "off the charts" dvd that is passed around among friends?

Well, I'm not the decision maker, but I'd say your last statement is correct. I'm just offering my opinions and the DVD the way it's been distrubuted in the past.

As far as offering it to the entire www. How many people use bittorrent? I don't. How do you search? Regardless, it's certainly not as available as YouTube to the general public.

RITBlake
11-28-2007, 12:01
Well, I'm not the decision maker, but I'd say your last statement is correct. I'm just offering my opinions and the DVD the way it's been distrubuted in the past.

As far as offering it to the entire www. How many people use bittorrent? I don't. It's certainly not as available as YouTube.

Cool, appreciate the feedback, I guess I'm excited to see the vid because we are now toying w/ the idea of an 08 PCT thru this spring.

And yah, true on the bittorrent. It's been the quiet secret of the internet for a while but has recently gained some attention.

trippclark
11-28-2007, 12:16
Cool, appreciate the feedback, I guess I'm excited to see the vid because we are now toying w/ the idea of an 08 PCT thru this spring.

And yah, true on the bittorrent. It's been the quiet secret of the internet for a while but has recently gained some attention.

So Blake, have you been able to download it yet? I know that my download speed is very slow because I refuse to make the needed mods to my router settings to speed it up. I tried this once, and it did speed up torrents dramatically, but it caused problems with other things in my network, so I changed the settings back. But 3 days and just 67% . . . from the lack of seeds I am observing, I don't know if it would be much better even if I reconfigured my router.

Sly
11-28-2007, 12:23
Y'all can PM with an address and I'll send one out.

RITBlake
11-28-2007, 13:13
you're the man Sly, will send the PM when I get home from work

RITBlake
11-28-2007, 13:20
So Blake, have you been able to download it yet? I know that my download speed is very slow because I refuse to make the needed mods to my router settings to speed it up. I tried this once, and it did speed up torrents dramatically, but it caused problems with other things in my network, so I changed the settings back. But 3 days and just 67% . . . from the lack of seeds I am observing, I don't know if it would be much better even if I reconfigured my router.

you're farther then me, I've had it on for almost 24 horus and have less then 10%

trippclark
11-28-2007, 13:30
you're farther then me, I've had it on for almost 24 horus and have less then 10%

Well then you must be the one that I am seeding to.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2007, 17:05
I've only started d/l'ing the 2004 torrent; got about 46% after 22 hours online. I'll have to download them one at a time, but hopefully after they're all down I'll be able to seed them semi-permanently.

Sly
11-28-2007, 17:10
I've only started d/l'ing the 2004 torrent; got about 46% after 22 hours online. I'll have to download them one at a time, but hopefully after they're all down I'll be able to seed them semi-permanently.

How do you do that? Just leave the bittorrent program on, as well as your computer? Does it slow your computer down at all?

RITBlake
11-28-2007, 17:21
How do you do that? Just leave the bittorrent program on, as well as your computer? Does it slow your computer down at all?

Sly, it may have some effect on your internet speed, especially if you have several torrents running at once but most of the time it's not noticeable. Most folks who do run them, do them at night, while they are sleeping. More often then not, I will start a torrent at night and the file will be ready in the morning.

Alligator
11-28-2007, 17:30
How do you do that? Just leave the bittorrent program on, as well as your computer? Does it slow your computer down at all?It slows mine down. I get timeout errors sometimes. I often have a couple of things downloading.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2007, 17:37

Yes, basically. The bittorrent program itself doesn't slow down your computer much, but it does have an effect. Seeding affects your disk space and your network bandwidth: you have to have enough disk space to store everything you're seeding, for as long as you choose to seed; and as a seed, others will be downloading from you, so part of your network bandwidth will go to uploading that file.

If your upload bandwidth is saturated by the seeds, your web browsing may become noticably sluggish, especially when trying to upload large files. If this happens you can tweak your bittorrent client to use less bandwidth (say, by restricting your upload speed to X or less, where X is much less than Y, and Y is the maximum upload you've observed in your bittorrent client). The reason is that web surfing is mostly download but needs a little upload too -- so if bittorrent takes over your upload bandwidth completely, your browser will have to wait longer to send info to the web pages you're trying to view.

In my case, my main computer doesn't have enough disk space to accommodate all 4 torrents at once, but I have a server with the available space. Since it stays on all the time, I can set up the torrents on that computer and just let them seed.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2007, 17:43
It slows mine down. I get timeout errors sometimes. I often have a couple of things downloading.

What kind of timeout errors? If it's on the tracker's address, that's probably just normal (means your internet connection to the tracker might be spotty). If it's on something else (like the hard drive!!:eek:) it might be more problematic.

What bittorrent client / version are you using? I use uTorrent v1.7.5 and find it fairly lightweight. I've seen other clients that are heavier (seem to slow my computer down more).

trippclark
11-28-2007, 23:31
Yeah, I'm noticing the same thing. I have been steadily trying to download it for 3 days now and (last check) I was still at 67%. MOre often than not when I check it, there are no seeds out there and I am uploading but not downloading. I'd sure like to see this. If you have downloaded it already, please seed it for those of us who are trying to download it.

Finished downloading . . . burned and watched tonight. Stunning photography. Editing/compiling is very well done. I am seeding now and see that a few more are as well. Hopefully others downloading are seeing a bit faster downloads now.

ProDeal
11-28-2007, 23:58
Finished downloading . . . burned and watched tonight. Stunning photography. Editing/compiling is very well done. I am seeding now and see that a few more are as well. Hopefully others downloading are seeing a bit faster downloads now.

I am so glad you enjoyed it! What DVD did you watch? I should clarify that I edited/compiled the 2006 DVD. Weathercarrot edited/compiled the '03 and '04 DVD. Whistler and H edited/compiled the '05 DVD.

While it was a tremendous gift to the community to create the DVD- in the process a precious gift was given to me: I realized the depth of my passion for video/ film and have decided to pursue that passion. Just a couple weeks ago I sent in my application for film school. I hope I get in!

Thanks for the kind words.

ProDeal

Alligator
11-29-2007, 00:01
What kind of timeout errors? If it's on the tracker's address, that's probably just normal (means your internet connection to the tracker might be spotty). If it's on something else (like the hard drive!!:eek:) it might be more problematic.

What bittorrent client / version are you using? I use uTorrent v1.7.5 and find it fairly lightweight. I've seen other clients that are heavier (seem to slow my computer down more).I think it says something like session timed out (Firefox). I forget what it does with IE.

I've been using BitComet. I probably can limit it some, but I usually just leave it running when I'm not on the computer.

It definitely slows things down if I am playing poker.

Uncle Silly
11-29-2007, 00:18
I think it says something like session timed out (Firefox). I forget what it does with IE.

I've been using BitComet. I probably can limit it some, but I usually just leave it running when I'm not on the computer.

It definitely slows things down if I am playing poker.

Make a note of the overall upload speeds you're seeing (combined -- that is, if BitComet doesn't tell you the total upload speed, add up the upload speeds of each torrent). Then go into BitComet's options and restrict the "global" upload speed to 1/2 of your observed total. (The "global" upload speed is the overall upload of all torrents, as opposed to a per-torrent restriction.)

Once this is done, you should observe the combined upload speeds drop to your restriction (or below). This should give your web surfing some breathing room.

LostInSpace
11-29-2007, 15:31
I just completed downloading PCT2004. Great video! Thanks ProDeal!

(I've been using BitTorrent for over a year, and using the latest version currently.) I am downloading the remaining three files concurrently and seeding the PCT2004 file. I have BitTorrent set to upload and download at the maximum rate, and the upload rate very occasionally hits 200 MB/s, but is averaging about 60 KB/s.

This tells me that the limiting factor is the combined download rate of the leechers. The combined download rate for me is about half the upload rate. It took six days to get the first file! The maximum number of peers that I have seen is FOUR!

It would seem that some people stop seeding as soon as their download completes. In a spirit of community, it would be benevolent to continue seeding. You can still burn a DVD while you are seeding. Even if you can't, it is real easy to again re-seed a torrent with a completed file after you burn it. (See this page. (http://support.bittorrent.com/cgi-bin/bittorrent.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=44&p_created=1152921708&p_sid=j3SVaZRi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD0yMTAsMjEwJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0 mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ub CZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1)) It would also help if people would ease up on their upload speed limit. It benefits you as a downloaded, too.

I have not noticed uploading having any adverse impact on my Internet browsing. I'll continue seeding for as long as I can.

weathercarrot
11-29-2007, 16:03
I'm glad to see that the PCT class DVD series is making the rounds in several different group-effort, grass roots, volunteer ways, which is exactly what the premise was when the format first started. So I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has been a part of all of this for the past three years.

I just spent a full day here in Portland, OR with the producer of the next installment (Sharon, aka Cloudspotter doing the PCT 2007 DVD) orienting her with all the different aspects of doing this project. We went through software, talked a lot about the creative/artistic side, a timeline for getting it done by April 1st, experimental sequences, etc etc. Nice to see the torch get passed once again. Hopefully by the time the kickoff concludes in late April we'll find an 08 producer, which would give us the 6th edition of the series. thanks again.

Sly
11-29-2007, 16:16
Hey WC. How's it going? Will you be able to make it to the SoRuck this year?

weathercarrot
11-29-2007, 16:25
Hey WC. How's it going? Will you be able to make it to the SoRuck this year?

at the moment, that's my plan. things are a bit up in the air these days, so I can't say for sure, but hopefully i'll be there.

Sly
11-29-2007, 16:26
at the moment, that's my plan. things are a bit up in the air these days, so I can't say for sure, but hopefully i'll be there.

Great, I'll put you on the name tag list! :)

Alligator
11-29-2007, 16:34
Make a note of the overall upload speeds you're seeing (combined -- that is, if BitComet doesn't tell you the total upload speed, add up the upload speeds of each torrent). Then go into BitComet's options and restrict the "global" upload speed to 1/2 of your observed total. (The "global" upload speed is the overall upload of all torrents, as opposed to a per-torrent restriction.)

Once this is done, you should observe the combined upload speeds drop to your restriction (or below). This should give your web surfing some breathing room.I'll try that. Thanks.

Uncle Silly
11-29-2007, 21:16
I have BitTorrent set to upload and download at the maximum rate, and the upload rate very occasionally hits 200 MB/s, but is averaging about 60 KB/s.

Thanks for seeding. That's a great upload rate if you're topping out at 200! Mine maxes out at about 50. :(

This tells me that the limiting factor is the combined download rate of the leechers. The combined download rate for me is about half the upload rate. It took six days to get the first file! The maximum number of peers that I have seen is FOUR!

That's a pretty simplistic view. It's complicated by a lot of things: what pieces do you have that another peer doesn't (assuming you're both leeching); what the internet traffic is like between you and each peer; how big the swarm is. (And these files are pretty small swarms.)

There's been quite a buzz lately over Comcast's treatment (http://www.eff.org/wp/packet-forgery-isps-report-comcast-affair) of Bittorrent traffic. They're basically forging communication packets between two peers that basically closes their peer connections to each other. The connection can be rediscovered normally but takes more time. This doesn't affect a Comcast user's download, but does affect how efficiently they upload, and in small swarms like this it can be rough.

It would seem that some people stop seeding as soon as their download completes. In a spirit of community, it would be benevolent to continue seeding. You can still burn a DVD while you are seeding. (...) It would also help if people would ease up on their upload speed limit. It benefits you as a downloaded, too.

Some older computers may not be able to burn & seed at the same time, and some may not have the disk space to hold more than one 4-gig ISO file at a time. If that's the issue keeping someone from seeding, they're off the hook in my book. It'd be great if every download became a seeder, but that's unlikely. Do your best to seed for as long as you can, and that'll be good enough. :)

trippclark
11-29-2007, 22:05
I am so glad you enjoyed it! What DVD did you watch?

ProDeal

ProDeal,

I watched 2006. I am still downloading the others. 2004 is at 86% and the others are around 40. Hopefully I will get to watch the others soon. Good luck pursuing your passions.

I do a little bit of video editing myself . . . strictly hobby . . . using Pinnacle (Avid) software . . . mostly Scouting and family "stuff". It is fun and challenging (and occasionally frustrating).

Tripp

LostInSpace
11-29-2007, 23:04
There's been quite a buzz lately over Comcast's treatment (http://www.eff.org/wp/packet-forgery-isps-report-comcast-affair) of Bittorrent traffic. They're basically forging communication packets between two peers that basically closes their peer connections to each other. The connection can be rediscovered normally but takes more time. This doesn't affect a Comcast user's download, but does affect how efficiently they upload, and in small swarms like this it can be rough.

Wow! You've got me there! That is an interesting article. Thanks for the insight. If true, I consider their actions criminal ... charging for a service but actually engaging in partially denying it. I'll bet they don't disclose their actions in the service contract.

LostInSpace
11-29-2007, 23:17
As of the time of this message, I'm uploading to 5 peers across three files at about 75 KB/s average, hitting a peak of 165 KB/s for about three seconds. My download rate for two files is about 18 KB/s from 4 peers, but their percentage completion is 50% or less, so that may be limited in providing the portions that I need.

Uncle Silly
11-29-2007, 23:35
Wow! You've got me there! That is an interesting article. Thanks for the insight. If true, I consider their actions criminal ... charging for a service but actually engaging in partially denying it. I'll bet they don't disclose their actions in the service contract.

Yes, it's sad that the company feels the need to go this route. As the article states, there are other means of "traffic management" that could be implemented that don't include hostile tampering.

The best analogy to what's going on is to think of an operator breaking into a phone call, and telling each participant, in the other participant's voice, "Sorry, gotta go" and hanging up the call. That certainly wouldn't fly on the phone system.

LostInSpace
11-30-2007, 13:14
Yes, it's sad that the company feels the need to go this route. As the article states, there are other means of "traffic management" that could be implemented that don't include hostile tampering.

The best analogy to what's going on is to think of an operator breaking into a phone call, and telling each participant, in the other participant's voice, "Sorry, gotta go" and hanging up the call. That certainly wouldn't fly on the phone system.

I'm currently seeding all four files.

Comcast keeps throttling back my upload rate to about 110 KB/s combined rate. I tried switching to Annapolis Wireless (free Wi-Fi), also Comcast, and the same thing happens. I can peak 200-400 KB/s but get throttled back pretty quickly.

ProDeal
12-01-2007, 03:31
I thought I would share another way to download the DVDs. The links below
are for a direct download- no bitorrent. This is probably a much faster way to download the files. I have started another thread with this message:

Disk images of the Pacific Crest Trail Class DVDs have been uploaded.
To download a copy of the Class of 2003, 2004, 2005, or
2006 DVD, download all the files in that year to the
same location on your hard drive. Click on the first
one- a .exe file—and the whole thing will self-extract
into disk image that you simply burn to DVD.

Information on mac compatibility of these files will come later. Mac users may want to download the bitorrent version of these files at:

http://thepiratebay.org/user/brickster3072 (http://thepiratebay.org/user/brickster3072)

About the series:
The Pacific Crest Trail DVD series combines the photos
and video contributions of several dozen hikers from
each season. Thousands of photos and many hours of
video footage have been sorted through and edited down
to create these presentations. It is a true labor of
love, as well as a great way for long-distance PCT
hikers to share their photography with each other.

One of the primary intentions of these DVD’s is that
they are as accessible as possible to anyone who may
be interested, so further duplication and distribution
is encouraged. However, for a variety of reasons,
please do not use the material for any commercial
oriented purpose. This series is a private-use
creation, a gift to the trail community and we have no
intention to sell it.

To get the most out of your viewing experience, we
suggest trying to replicate a movie theatre
environment as much as possible - a dark room with
good sound quality, and in one sitting. The 2006 DVD
has an option for Dolby 5.1 surround sound for those
who have it. In any case, adjust the ambience in your
home and get ready for a magical journey.

You can download DVD inserts for many of the DVDs at:
www.notesfromthetrail.com/about.html (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/about.html)

2003 DVD:
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part01.exe (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part01.exe)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part02.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part02.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part03.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part03.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part04.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part04.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part05.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part05.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part06.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part06.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part07.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part07.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part08.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part08.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part09.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part09.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part10.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part10.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part11.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part11.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part12.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part12.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part13.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2003PCTDVD.part13.rar)

2004 DVD:
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part01.exe (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part01.exe)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part02.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part02.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part03.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part03.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part04.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part04.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part05.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part05.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part06.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part06.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part07.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part07.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part08.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2004PCTDVD.part08.rar)

2005 DVD
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part01.exe (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part01.exe)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part02.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part02.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part03.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part03.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part04.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part04.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part05.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part05.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part06.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part06.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part07.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part07.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part08.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part08.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part09.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part09.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part10.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part10.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part11.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2005PCTDVD.part11.rar)

2006 DVD
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part01.exe (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part01.exe)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part02.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part02.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part03.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part03.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part04.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part04.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part05.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part05.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part06.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part06.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part07.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part07.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part08.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part08.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part09.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part09.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part10.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part10.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part11.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part11.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part12.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part12.rar)
www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part13.rar (http://www.notesfromthetrail.com/2006PCTDVD.part13.rar)

trippclark
12-03-2007, 11:27

I am still seeding all four files. One thing that I have noticed, that I had not accounted for, is a significant impact on my VOIP phone. When I receive or make a call, I have to pause all torrents or the connection is lousy (at least as reported by the party on the other end). Because of this, I have started seeding only at times when I don't expect to be using the phone (late night and while at work). There is only so much bandwidth to go around!:D

jzakhar
12-03-2007, 11:47

From a traffic management perspective, it is a very cleaver way to control throughput.

I read that article. IMHO it is very one sided. Traffic management is very costly (on the hardware, and pocket), add in protocol decoding / nbar rules and it becomes even worse.

A lot of these protocols are designed to be a hinderance to traffic management (floating port assignments, http tunneling support).

What comcast and other providers are doing is trying to keep their network open to all subscribers, rather than just the hibatual abusers of bandwidth.

It does hit people that do nothing wrong (like most people here trying to see/share a video). But if you are downloading files/music/movies all day everyday, you are part of the reason this is happening.

In the ToS and AUP for Comcast Internet you will see words like "Best Effort", that allow them to do things exactly like this.

Uncle Silly
12-03-2007, 13:03
From a traffic management perspective, it is a very cleaver way to control throughput.

Uh-huh. Sure, if your idea of controlling throughput is cutting the connection. Congrats! You've controlled it down to zero!

If you were to do something like this to Comcast, instead of vice versa, they'd be prosecuting you for hacking. Unauthorized tampering with computer communications.

I read that article. IMHO it is very one sided. Traffic management is very costly (on the hardware, and pocket), add in protocol decoding / nbar rules and it becomes even worse.

One-sided how?

I suppose it might seem a bit one-sided since Comcast isn't answering questions about the observed phenomenon. Is that what you're talking about?

A lot of these protocols are designed to be a hinderance to traffic management (floating port assignments, http tunneling support).

I don't know of any protocol that is designed to hinder traffic management. Most TCP/IP protocols are designed to do something you want to do, by means of transmitting and receiving little packets of data across the internet. It's true that most of these applications don't take traffic management into consideration, but part of that is because TCP can handle that -- so the higher-level protocol doesn't have to.

In the ToS and AUP for Comcast Internet you will see words like "Best Effort", that allow them to do things exactly like this.

It's not best effort. It's tampering with computer communications. It's actually forging packets. It's clever in the same way that hacking your computer might be clever. It's not smart-clever, it's bordering-on-if-not-outright-criminal-clever.

jzakhar
12-03-2007, 14:10
The BT protocol uses many small packest across range of ports. I understand it was designed to do that, however it does make for a tough thing to traffic shape.. If you needed to shape and inspect any bittorrent traffic, you are stuck using a protocol decoder/sniffer on the links.

Most other common web traffic is not like this, web, dns, most mail services can all be load balanced via the common port.

Heh I am not really for the packet spoofing, that is a bad way to conduct business, I agree. But I think in the near future you will see throttling of connections for file sharing applications.

The fact that it is a difficult protocol/service to track/police on large bandwidth lines (or any line, but the cost goes way up as the MB does) is probably why Comcast decided to go this route.

dzierzak
12-06-2007, 14:44
For those of you who have a hard time either downloading or Bottorrenting the files, I have a limited number of the 2003-2006 DVDs available. PM me your address and which one(s) you want and I'll mail them out.

Ed

leprechaun
10-14-2008, 23:55
just watched these videos after a friend turned me on to them. amazing job on these amazing videos, makes me want to leave for a trail (any trail!) today!

(sorry for re-hashing an old thread, didnt want to start a new one for stuff thats already here)

leprechaun
10-15-2008, 00:02
oh, to clarify, i downloaded the 2007 DVD (with a program called "BitComet" http://www.bitcomet.com/ and played on the "VLC media player" (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) with no problem) cant find a seed for 2006 or 2003, but 2004 and 2005 are blazing fast, 2007 is uploading on my comp for any one interested

(everything was virus free, the media player, torent client, and movie)

dzierzak
10-15-2008, 11:37
I have a few of the 2003-2006 PCT dvds I could send to whoever wants them. I'll get exact numbers tonight.

PM if interested - first come - first served.

ed

Gumbi
10-15-2008, 14:13
Are there any legal issues that I should be aware of when using a bit torrent system? I thought that file sharing (music and dvds) was against the law?

Sly
10-15-2008, 14:53
Are there any legal issues that I should be aware of when using a bit torrent system? I thought that file sharing (music and dvds) was against the law?

While downloading copyrighted music, DVD's, software and the like without the permission of the owner is illegal, the PCT videos and such software like Open Office are perfectly legal to download using clients like Bit Torrent and uTorrent.

Here's a site where you can find legal downloads.

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9521/Where+to+Find+Free+AND+Legal+BitTorrent+Downloads

leprechaun
10-15-2008, 17:53
torents are legal as long as the originator of the material doesn't object: PCT DVD = LEGAL spidreman 3 = illegal

dzierzak sent you a PM, if i get the DVDs I can upload them for all to use if anyone wants to know how to upload them PM me

Sly
10-15-2008, 17:57
dzierzak sent you a PM, if i get the DVDs I can upload them for all to use if anyone wants to know how to upload them PM me

You're better off seeding the ones that you're downloading.

leprechaun
10-15-2008, 18:09
You're better off seeding the ones that you're downloading.
I am seeding 2007 but cannot find any seeds for the others