PDA

View Full Version : Aehter 60 for bushbashing?

jay590
11-23-2007, 05:21
hi this is my first post. im from australia and was wondering if the osprey aether 60 is a tough backpack. is it tough enough to withstand bushbashing, rockhopping, and swimming? will it get cut up from thorned vines?

Cheers Jay

EWS
11-23-2007, 05:39
If it is made out of the same material as the Atmos line it wouldn't last long using it the way you're describing. The mesh pockets will be torn up quickly regardless.

I'd look at mountaineering and climbing backpacks that are made to be handled more roughly. Check out Black Diamond's packs.

jay590
11-23-2007, 05:45
damn because i likes the look of it.:( any other pack u could recommend?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-23-2007, 05:53
Jay, what features do you like about the osprey aether 60? Knowing that may help others suggest similar packs that are suitable for off-trail use.

jay590
11-23-2007, 05:54
what about the osprey expedition 50?

jay590
11-23-2007, 05:56
sorry didnt see that last post just liek the simple design and that theres not to many things for stuff to get caught on and that its compact-ish

Jay

EWS
11-23-2007, 06:26
Osprey Expedition 50? You mean the Exposure 50? I appears to be a much better design for what you're describing. I'd do an hands on in a shop though to see how tough the material is.

I still have my old Black Diamond packs that are made out of "heavy" materials, which survived years of climbing and bushwacking use. The models they make nowadays appear to be much prettier. I haven't seen them first hand though, so I don't know if they're still as well made, even though they carry the same model names.

jay590
11-23-2007, 06:38
yer that's the one i ment. exposure 50. i just want to find out all my options before i go looking in the shops

Jay

Sly
11-23-2007, 07:48
If it's good for bushbashing I want one!

Tipi Walter
11-23-2007, 09:55
I looked at the Osprey Exposure 50 and could not figure out what kind of pack material it uses. This is an important consideration when choosing a pack for bushwacking. The old cordura could take rough treatment, but now with all the new lighter packcloths it's not so easy to know which can take jabs, sawbriars, rock scraps and all the rest.

Also, you didn't mention if it's to be used as a daypack or, if for overnighters, how many? Some smaller, older daypacks(remember the ones with the leather bottoms?), could take tremendous abuse and keep on ticking. The Osprey, though, sounds like it's worth a try as many people use them in some capacity and like them.

For bushwacking, of course, it is much better to use an internal frame pack and not external. The old Army ALICE packs(without the frame), the ones with the 3 back pockets, make GREAT bushwacking packs and perhaps are available in your area. These babies can take rhododendron belly-crawls, creek mishaps, bramble scream-fests, sharp log jabs(with consequent bloodletting), etc etc.

Kaptain Kangaroo
11-23-2007, 15:47
Hi Jay,
Sounds like you are doing some canyoning up there in the mountains ??
If that is what you are using the pack for, you might like to look at this one
http://www.summitgear.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

I have been canyoning for many years now & find that only packs made from materials like cordura or synthetic canvas will last. It's the abrasion from sliding down all that sandstone that kills lightweight packs. I use an old Macpac Ravine & it has done many canyon trips.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Just a Hiker
11-23-2007, 15:53
I am not sure which Aether-60 some you have, but mine is tough as nails. I have the 2004 model (the yellow one), and I have beat that thing to death the past 3 years and it keeps coming back for more. Maybe the newer models aren't as tough, but I wouldn't take anything for mine.

Just Jim

jay590
11-23-2007, 18:06
thanks kaptain kangaroo, it looks like its what t i've been looking for. where do shop for you camping gear? and where could u get one of those?

Jay

Kaptain Kangaroo
11-23-2007, 19:48
No worries Jay, that pack is made by Summit Gear. They are located in Katoomba...I think they also have a shop in Glenbrook, which is a little closer to you.

I buy my bushwalking/hiking gear from many different places depending on what I'm after. I have bought a lot of gear from the US as the range is much bigger than Australia & they have far more lightweight gear (especially tents/tarps/hammocks & packs & sleeping bags). The prices are better too, even when you factor in the exchange rate & the shipping cost. If the order is under $1000 you don't have to pay any import duty. I have purchased a lot of stuff from Backcountry Gear www.backcountrygear.com (http://www.backcountrygear.com) the prices seem good & their service has always been reliable.
Otherwise I shop around the local stores (Mountain Designs, Paddy Pallin etc.) to find what I'm looking for.
If you can let me know what type of activity you are doing (eg. canyoning, bushwalking - on-track or off-track etc.) , I can give you some suggestions about places to buy.

Cheers,

Kaptain

zelph
11-23-2007, 22:09
hi this is my first post. im from australia and was wondering if the osprey aether 60 is a tough backpack. is it tough enough to withstand bushbashing, rockhopping, and swimming? will it get cut up from thorned vines?

Cheers Jay

Not recomended for swimming. Use water wings:cool:

jay590
11-23-2007, 23:49
ill be doing off track busgwalking mostly. im going 2 be doing canyoning but there just day trips the ones my dad and I are going to be doing. Why not swimming with the aether?

Jay

jay590
11-23-2007, 23:52
oh yer i dont need a pack for canyoning already got an old one from my dad that i use for overnight trips, and its very durable.

Jay

Kaptain Kangaroo
11-25-2007, 05:31
I would probably go down into Kent St in Sydney & spend half a day visiting all the outdoor stores (there are about 8 of them now !!!). You can try out dozens of packs in a short time. Identify the ones that fits you & your type of walking. Then you can shop around for a good price.

Since you will be using the pack for mostly off-track walking it would be good to inspect the fabric in person & talk with the staff. Tell them what you want it for & ask for their recommendation, that way you have at least some comeback if it doesn't live up to their promise.

Take all your gear with you so you can check that it fits & that the harness is comfortable with a realistic load. I would also check that the fabric can be repaired easily (at home and in the bush) because it will get holes ! ....... if duck tape and/or Seam Grip won't stick to something, I won't buy it ......:)

Cheers,

Kaptain

bfitz
11-26-2007, 01:08
If it's good for bushbashing I want one!It means something else in Australia.

Heater
11-26-2007, 01:23
It means something else in Australia.

Sort of like "bushwhacking" means something else at "hippy hollow"? :eek:
(the nude shoreline on Lake Travis here in Austin)

...Then you have the "boatwhackers' that float around in the cove with binoculars. :rolleyes:

Sick...

Alligator
11-26-2007, 12:40
Not recomended for swimming. Use water wings:cool:

ill be doing off track busgwalking mostly. im going 2 be doing canyoning but there just day trips the ones my dad and I are going to be doing. Why not swimming with the aether?

JayHe's just kidding you Jay, water wings are floats that kids use on their arms.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-26-2007, 13:10
Fellows, the young man that started this thread is 15 years old. The ancient Dino is well aware of the varied meanings of bushbashing - the political, the bawdy, the outdoorsy - but some of those just aren't appropriate for the thread.

Jay, you mention swimming - I want to be absolutely sure you mean removing your pack to swim for pleasure rather than swimming with your pack on to ford a river. Please let me know which is correct.

BTW, this is a pic of some waterwings (http://www.ci.kirkland.wa.us/__shared/assets/Waterwings5526.jpg)

Kaptain Kangaroo
11-26-2007, 15:10
Dino, I think that Jay does mean swimming with his pack on. In the mountains near Sydney there are many slot canyons, with flooded sections of still water. We often have to swim through these, so we put flotation in our packs & swim with the pack on.
This is only in pools of still water, we don't really have the type of river that needs to be forded, there just isn't that much running water over here.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-26-2007, 15:41
Thank you for the clarification, Captain Kangaroo. I will leave discussion of packs suitable for this activity to those who know more about it than I do.

jay590
11-27-2007, 04:10
i mean swimming with pack on but this isnt long swims just really shrt sections when the bush is really thick on the banks or cliffs on either side. but no-more that 20m at the most.

Jay