PDA

View Full Version : Hiking buddies for Blue Ridge Pkwy & PA

pythonathiker
11-23-2007, 09:12
2 hikers & an 11-year old German Shepherd are looking for hiking buddies for day hikes on the AT (section hikers). We do not enjoy circuit hikes so we are looking for other hikers to help with shuttles.

We plan on hiking the AT south of Waynesboro, VA and north of Caledonia State Park, PA. Average hiking distance is 6-10 miles depending on the terrain & heat.

We are based in Harpers Ferry, WV but can only get out on the trail on the weekends. We plan on finishing up the AT in SNP this weekend. We have also completed the entire AT in Northern VA, MD, and WV. We have also hiked the AT in Maine from Hurd Brook Lean-to to Mount Katahdin this past summer.

Thoughtful Owl
11-23-2007, 20:21
When are you planning on hiking the section south of Waynesboro. What is your starting point and ending point? I might be able to shuttle you depending upon when you are planning on doing this hike.

pythonathiker
11-24-2007, 21:14
Thanks for the offer to shuttle. We would like to start hiking the Blue Ridge Parkway next year. We will look at our maps and figure out a start/end point and see if our hike can fit into your schedule. Would you be interested in hiking with us? We hike 6-8 miles at about 2 mph. We are both short so 2 mph is a good pace for us.

RiverWarriorPJ
11-25-2007, 07:56
When are you planning on hiking the section south of Waynesboro. What is your starting point and ending point? I might be able to shuttle you depending upon when you are planning on doing this hike.

Same goes here....I often do short outings in the Tye River area ... if Owl has a conflict....give me a shout..

pythonathiker
11-25-2007, 18:26
RiverWarriorPJ

Thanks very much for the offer. We will reimburse anyone for gas.

I watched your video - are you the last person in the video?

RiverWarriorPJ
11-25-2007, 18:47
No...whaa....that was someone (who i didn't catch up to) at BearTree Mtn....way SW Va

DAKS
11-25-2007, 19:05
I'm looking to start Rockfish Gap south sometime soon as well. I'm a weekend only hiker for the most part too. Let me know yer' plans and we'll see what we can do?

Thoughtful Owl
11-26-2007, 15:50
Thanks for the offer to shuttle. We would like to start hiking the Blue Ridge Parkway next year. We will look at our maps and figure out a start/end point and see if our hike can fit into your schedule. Would you be interested in hiking with us? We hike 6-8 miles at about 2 mph. We are both short so 2 mph is a good pace for us.

Sure would love to do some hike with you. Keep me posted through WB or you can e-mail me at [email protected] Daks this applies to you too.

pythonathiker
11-26-2007, 21:01
Anyone interested in the following day hikes on 1/26 (Saturday) & 1/27 (Sunday)?

1. Rockfish Gap to Humpback Rock parking area (6.8 miles)

2. Humpback Rock parking area to Reeds Gap (9.6 miles)
(this section can be split into 2 parts if needed)

** Of course this would be weather dependent since we live so far away **

Thoughtful Owl
11-27-2007, 11:28
pythonathiker, I may be up available on that weekend. I will need to check my calendar and get back to you. I do have several things scheduled in January, but I always want to do this section when the leaves were off the trees. Where r u planning to overnight?

Thoughtful Owl
11-27-2007, 11:30
Sure would love to do some hike with you. Keep me posted through WB or you can e-mail me at [email protected] Daks this applies to you too.

This address should be [email protected]

DAKS
11-27-2007, 14:07
That weekend and itinerary sound fine for me. I'll put it on the calendar.

pythonathiker
11-27-2007, 21:05
Owl - we will find a hotel/motel near Waynesboro, VA. I have been trying to avoid backcountry camping because I am a wimp.

Daks - great, glad you can join us. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather.

Thoughtful Owl
11-28-2007, 12:24
Owl - we will find a hotel/motel near Waynesboro, VA. I have been trying to avoid backcountry camping because I am a wimp.

Daks - great, glad you can join us. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather.

Depending upon what time you plan to hit the trail, I may drive over on Saturday morning, I am within easy driving distance and will stay over on Saturday night Plenty of place to stay in Waynesboro. I forgot to check my calendar at home last night so I am still uncertain, but hopeful about this weekend.

Jaybird62
01-05-2008, 23:53
I hike in PA quite a bit. The shuttle thing is something I have been wanting to do, and always like to meet new people. Normaly, its just me and my beagle hiking. If you are planning something in PA, send me a p.m. and maybe we could work something out.:)

DAKS
01-06-2008, 16:06
anyone still planning on the 1/26-1/27 hike going south out of rockfish gap? i'm still in weather permitting.

Thoughtful Owl
01-06-2008, 17:11
Looks like a good weekend for me. Calendar is clear on that weekend. Let's go!

pythonathiker
01-06-2008, 20:42
Yes we are still in! Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

We will be driving to Rockfish gap on Saturday morning so we don't want to start hiking that day too early (it will be a 2.5 hour drive for us). What would be a good time to meet for everyone? We could meet as early as 9:30 AM.

DAKS
01-07-2008, 08:07
i have a bit of a drive as well. 0930 or 1000ish is good. other thoughts?

Thoughtful Owl
01-07-2008, 10:25
I am only an hour away so whatever works for me. We going to meet at the Rockfish Gap visitor center?

pythonathiker
01-07-2008, 20:15
Meeting at 10 AM at the Rockfish Gap visitor center sounds good to us.
The visitor center is right behind the old Howard Johnson's, right?

Thoughtful Owl
01-08-2008, 00:10
That is correct. We can figure out where we want to hike to and shuttle an automobile there.

pythonathiker
01-21-2008, 11:55
Weather.com predictions for high/lows for this weekend:

Saturday, Jan 26th: 44°/32°
Sunday, Jan 27th: 48°/28°

Is everyone still game? :-)

DAKS
01-21-2008, 22:07
i think i am still in as long as the weather cooperates.

Thoughtful Owl
01-22-2008, 14:36
Weather.com predictions for high/lows for this weekend:

Saturday, Jan 26th: 44°/32°
Sunday, Jan 27th: 48°/28°

Is everyone still game? :-)

Sorry, I have to bow out. I have to be in Wentworth, NC for training. I though the training was this past weekend until I received an e-mail reminder early last week. I am thankful for the reminder or I would have driven down there for nothing. Hopefully I can catch you the next time.

TO

HIKER7s
01-23-2008, 07:57
If your still doing this after April, Id like to hook up with ya. Till then I am booked pretty good.

Caledonia North to Pine Grove is a GOOD day hike.

Its a full day of blazing if your just getting into it or after along layoff.

When we do it, I like starting out at PG and hump to Quarry Gap shelter (which is one you really have to visit to appreciate) where we overnight. Then,you have an easy morning coming down past the ruin and then into Caledonia SP.

pythonathiker
01-23-2008, 19:24
Owl,

Thanks for letting us know you can't make it. We are getting cabin fever so we are looking forward to getting outside this weekend!

Thoughtful Owl
01-24-2008, 00:10
Owl,

Thanks for letting us know you can't make it. We are getting cabin fever so we are looking forward to getting outside this weekend!

Sent PM

TO

pythonathiker
01-25-2008, 08:36
Unfortunately, the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed from in VA from mile posts 0 - 61 due to snow/ice.

You can call 828-298-0398 for daily updates or check out http://www.virtualblueridge.com/.

We will re-schedule the hike from Rockfish Gap to Humpback Road.

Thoughtful Owl
01-25-2008, 10:27
Unfortunately, the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed from in VA from mile posts 0 - 61 due to snow/ice.

You can call 828-298-0398 for daily updates or check out http://www.virtualblueridge.com/.

We will re-schedule the hike from Rockfish Gap to Humpback Road.

Wow, that's from Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro) to Peaks of Otter (Bedford). Didn't realize we got hit that hard in this area.

pythonathiker
01-25-2008, 20:31
We will be hiking on Sunday, January 27th north of Caledonia State Park in PA (approximately 8 miles). Anybody interested in joining us?