PDA

View Full Version : Snows a comin!!!

Streamweaver
12-04-2003, 19:50
Exactly 1 year after the first snowfall of winter 02/03 to the day ,its suposed to start tonite and a second system is suposed to come through tommorow or saturday I think and keep it snowing through saturday night!! I just hope its all snow!! Might be some sleet and maybe freezing rain.The Maryland section of the AT aught to get a nice dumping since western MD usually gets it the hardest! Wish I could make it to the trail this weekend!! If you go better pack your LJs!!! Streamweaver

Hikerhead
12-04-2003, 19:59
It's coming your way. We have about 5inches on the ground now.

ganj
12-04-2003, 20:31
A friend of mine in Boone, NC says they had about six inches this morning. I bet Maryland will get it worse, but they are forecasting 6-10 inches here in NJ.

Great weekend to get out if you don't mind the hunting.

Fox
12-04-2003, 21:09
We might see up to a foot here in CT. Depends on how this one moves. One projection has it stalling.

Streamweaver
12-04-2003, 21:49
We might see up to a foot here in CT. Depends on how this one moves. One projection has it stalling. The first may stall but they say there is a second storm that they are expecting to dump at least a few more inches. Its 8:46pm and it hasnt hit us here in the Baltimore region yet. Streamweaver

hiker5
12-05-2003, 09:08
Here in Greenbelt, MD it looks like we had an inch over night at the most... and that was melted by rain this morning. However one of my co-workers called in this morning from Ellicott City and said he just shoveled 6-8 inches of snow off of his drive way. Ellicott City is less than 30 miles from here. Needless to say, conditions vary widely. :D

Trail Dog
12-05-2003, 09:12
oops i shold look before i start a thread. well like i said 8 inches in clingsman dome. gonna be quite a few in NY and already some in NJ. Bet the whites will be looking their name pretty soon.

Fox
12-05-2003, 09:44
Bet the whites will be looking their name pretty soon.

They do already. Check it out. http://www.mountwashington.org/cam/index.php

Streamweaver
12-05-2003, 11:54
However one of my co-workers called in this morning from Ellicott City and said he just shoveled 6-8 inches of snow off of his drive way.

Im about 4 miles from Ellicott City and we have about 6 inches on the ground now ,I think we are suposed to get more tommorow. I think it was westminster that got 9-10 inches this morning. Guess Ill do a day hike down Patapsco SP tommorow,maybe do some fishing! Streamweaver

RagingHampster
12-05-2003, 12:14
I'm in Western Massachusetts, and we're supposed to get a foot plus this weekend. I planned on doing an over-night ridge hike on the AT from Rt2 to the Summit of Greylock, but the roads in Western Mass get real bad during storms, and often the highway through the Berkshires gets shutdown. So I may go to the M&M trail as access is much better.

Woo-Hoo! Snowshoe season is arriving!!! :banana

Don
12-06-2003, 09:57
streamweaver

got an extra 4 or so inches on top of the 5 inches dropped yesterday..... Probably not as much as the Ellicot CIty area as the heaviest stuff was to the west of Towson... happy hiking in Patapsco....I'm planning to head up to the Gunpowder near Hereford on Sunday......

hiker5
12-06-2003, 10:08
We finally got our snow in Greenbelt. About 4 or 5 inches overnight. Reminds me of home (Michigan) and going to school at Michigan Tech where we would regularly get over 200 inches of snow per winter season.

RagingHampster
12-06-2003, 19:32
Boy the snow is certainly falling here in Central/Western Mass!

I went over to Mt. Grace and Snow-Shoed 8 miles on the trails there. Boy was I beat after breaking trail for that long! I planned on staying overnight, and was even lugging my full pack, but I finished up that 8 miles around 2pm, and didn't feel like waiting around. So I find myself in my comfy home spending some time on WhiteBlaze :sun

Snow is still falling by the way...

Footslogger
12-06-2003, 19:45
Been snowing out here in Wyoming for over a month ...

Streamweaver
12-06-2003, 22:19
[QUOTE=Footslogger]Been snowing out here in Wyoming for over a month ...[/QUOTE

LOL A month of snow would shut this whole entire state down till next December!!! They close schools down the night before just on a rumor of flurries!! We got about a foot all told. It turned out to be nicer snow than I thought it would considering it started out as rain and sleet. I did a local day hike today but I got a late start and the snow ended shortly after I left home. It turned out to be a nice sunny day though I was hoping for more snow!!!! Remember when the return of the robins was a sure sign of spring?? not anymore!! They dont even leave ,they just flock up and stay all year just like the cardinals. I guess they have adapted to the temps here.Or maybe they know as well as anybody that it will warm up again in a few days(sposed to be 55 degrees Wed or Thur!) Oh and by the way, heres a Good tip for using an Alcohol stove in the winter, Its a good thing NOT to spill your hot cocoa into your stove!!! BUT if you want a quick way to extinguish said stove ,It sho did the trick for me!!!! LOL Streamweaver

squirrel bait
12-07-2003, 03:06
No snow here on the outer banks but the cold weather has brought the stripers inshore where us surf casters can get at em. Girl I know caught a 45 inch 32 pounder.

snuffy smith
12-07-2003, 18:51
I tried to hike out of Catawba near Roanoke on Sat. morning but there was too much snow on the trail.I went about a mile north befor I changed my mind and turned around and slipped slid all the way back down.

steve hiker
12-08-2003, 02:53
Went to the Smokies Friday, and it started snowing by the time I reached the AT in the afternoon. Stayed at Cosby Knob Shelter Friday night, and the snow was blowing pretty good. Hiked a portion of the AT southbound the next day, and the snow was everywhere. But not too deep on the trail to impede hiking.

The snow was beautiful. To someone like me who lives in an area where there is no snow during the winter, it was stunning. Words do not describe how magical it felt to be up there. I definitely plan to go back a few more times this winter when it snows again.

BTW -- a southbounder from Connecticut who goes by John Galth (sp?)(a fictional character in the book Atlas Shrugged) stayed at Cosby Knob that night, and expects to reach Springer by Dec. 20. In the shelter register, a couple other southbound thrus were there a couple days before, Jessica and BS. BS left a piece of an earworm which I thought appropriate for the snowy season up there: "When Quinn the eskimo gets here, everybody's gonna jump for joy."

copythat
12-08-2003, 12:33
We might see up to a foot here in CT. Depends on how this one moves. One projection has it stalling.

went out sat. to 10-mile shelter in new milford, conn. sat p.m.: maybe 3-5" on exposed portions of trail, dusting+ elsewhere. snow stopped soon after sun-up. snow spirits (whirlwinds) were busy all morning. sunday: 6-10 on sheltered trail, 12-18 on exposed, drifting up to about 24. all-around nice time.

johnny. one step at a time

mdionne
12-08-2003, 12:37
maine mountains got 44+ inches of snow!!!

wilconow
12-08-2003, 12:44
newbie with question - how much snow are you comfortable hiking in without snowshoes (waterproof boots, gaiters)?

in other words, when does it get too be too much like walking in quicksand.

RagingHampster
12-08-2003, 12:51
I start using snowshoes when there is as little as half a foot, although it's for the traction benefits more than the flotation (which is pretty much nil at 6" of powder).

Another useful piece of gear in light snow are instep crampons. I also use them in latefall when the trail is loaded with wet leaves.

DebW
12-08-2003, 13:18
newbie with question - how much snow are you comfortable hiking in without snowshoes (waterproof boots, gaiters)?

in other words, when does it get too be too much like walking in quicksand.

Depends on the size of the rocks in the trail. When the rocks are all covered well enough that I won't damage my snowshoes, then I use them. That includes scraping the crampons on rocks, and they hang about 2 inches below the snowshoes. Using snowshoes makes your footing better and packs a nice wide even trail for others to follow. Leaving postholes is a pain in the *ss for everyone after you because snowshoes and skis don't work well over postholes.

Fox
12-08-2003, 18:53
I keep hearing the official totals for my area of CT at 8" but I measure 5 in the woods. It was a hell of a wind though.

ganj
12-09-2003, 00:49
Here is a link. Pinkham Notch has 52 inches.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/fcsts/PWMPNSGYX.html

Fox
12-09-2003, 08:50
Here is a link. Pinkham Notch has 52 inches.

Wow! That's impressive!

Streamweaver
01-26-2004, 01:06
Anybody else getting snow tonite?? Its coming down pretty hard here in The Baltimore Md area! They say we could get up to another 10 inches or so on top of the 2 we already had on the ground,but they say its gonna turn to sleet and rain and with the temps weve been having its gonna be an icy mess for several days! This is one time I hope the weather guy is wrong,bout the ice anywhoo. its 15 degrees now at midnite but at least the wind aint blowing!! Streamweaver

snuffleupagus
01-26-2004, 01:21
Anybody else getting snow tonite?? Its coming down pretty hard here in The Baltimore Md area! They say we could get up to another 10 inches or so on top of the 2 we already had on the ground,but they say its gonna turn to sleet and rain and with the temps weve been having its gonna be an icy mess for several days! This is one time I hope the weather guy is wrong,bout the ice anywhoo. its 15 degrees now at midnite but at least the wind aint blowing!! StreamweaverHey streamweaver I'm here in Glen burnie it's coming down like heck........

Streamweaver
01-26-2004, 01:35
Glen Burnie?? Your right around the corner then! Im in the Woodlawn/Gwynn Oak area. All this good snow is sposed to turn into ice,that sucks!!! Maybe Ill go for a night hike. Streamweaver

snuffleupagus
01-26-2004, 01:40
Glen Burnie?? Your right around the corner then! Im in the Woodlawn/Gwynn Oak area. All this good snow is sposed to turn into ice,that sucks!!! Maybe Ill go for a night hike. StreamweaverSure just throw some plastic baggies on your feet and plop some boots on your feet. Off you go.....

Mini-Mosey
01-26-2004, 06:57
I'm not far from Harpers' Ferry; we got about 6-8 inches of snow Sat. nite, and it snowed again last night; I haven't been outside yet this morning to see if it still is. But the forecast for this week calls for lots of precipitation in the form of wintry mixes, snow, ice, sleet; ugh!! Well, it is winter!! Of course, all the schools are closed.

Mini-Mosey
01-26-2004, 06:58
And Bitterly Cold!!!!