PDA

View Full Version : Fuel or No fuel???

Roots
11-23-2007, 10:21
I am leaving April 1st from Springer and hiking to NOC or possibly Fontana. My question is, with this being 'prime time' is it hard to find fuel canisters along the resupply stops. I'm wondering if there is a risk of them running out before I get there. Thanx for the help!

Lone Wolf
11-23-2007, 10:31
Neel gap and the outfitter in Franklin will have plenty. most use alcohol it seems

Roots
11-23-2007, 13:41
Neel gap and the outfitter in Franklin will have plenty. most use alcohol it seems

Thanx LWolf. Yeah, I'm playing with the alcohol idea. We have one, I just need to play with it a little more before I'm comfortable with taking it. I guess I'm just an 'old school' kind of girl when it comes to the stove.:D

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2007, 16:44
You'll have no problems getting fuel canisters, i.e. jetboil, MSR, Gigapower - which are all interchangable/compatible. I have a jetboil stove, but perfer to use the gigapower canisters.

Dakota Dan
11-23-2007, 17:09
........ I'm playing with the alcohol idea. .......

You should check into a wood-burner. Plenty of plans for homemade or you can buy a Sierra Zip in regular or titanium. Fuel problems over.

tritonl
11-23-2007, 19:07
If anyone has been using a jetboil stove, how long does a small fuel canister last, how about the large one?

Roots
11-23-2007, 22:07
Thanks for all the help guys!! There are so many options out there, now, it leaves a girl confused! I have a giga and LOVE it!! We recently got an alcohol stove( awesome by the way-THANX SUZI Qhoo) and we're playing around with different ideas we've gotten. It's kind of fun! I know I still have time, but since this trip will be without the hubby, I feel more comfy with my stove. He's the brains in the operation =)! Who knows, between now and then I could grow a great sense for the alcohol...stove that is, already like the other stuff! :D Thanx again for the great advice!!

oldfivetango
11-24-2007, 10:04
You should check into a wood-burner. Plenty of plans for homemade or you can buy a Sierra Zip in regular or titanium. Fuel problems over.

What do you use when the woods are wet?
Inquiring minds want to know...........
Oldfivetango

oops56
11-24-2007, 10:24
What do you do when the woods are wet ok. Just pick up some small dry wood as you go and save it for a rainy day;) ;)

Pedaling Fool
11-24-2007, 11:41
If anyone has been using a jetboil stove, how long does a small fuel canister last, how about the large one?
A small canister lasted me about a week and a large about two. If you are just boiling water for ramen or something those canisters will last much longer. I do a lot of cooking.

oldfivetango
11-25-2007, 09:51
What do you do when the woods are wet ok. Just pick up some small dry wood as you go and save it for a rainy day;) ;)

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of "not carrying" fuel in the first
place?:D
Oldfivetango

Dakota Dan
11-25-2007, 14:46
What do you use when the woods are wet?
Inquiring minds want to know...........
Oldfivetango

No problem. With a fire starter like cotton balls + Vaseline you start off with twigs or pine cones then move to bigger chunks. You use the same principals as starting any fire in rain or wet weather. Just a lot easier with a zip type stove. The only time I would even consider carrying wood would be when above tree-line. But even then you could probably find enough of something to burn for the time above tree-line.