PDA

View Full Version : Kilmer/Hangover Clearcut

Tipi Walter
11-23-2007, 11:04
This is just to let anyone who hikes or backpacks the Kilmer Wilderness that there's a new clearcut up on Saddle Tree Gap near the Hangover Rocks. It's located on the trail on top of the ridge and right before reaching the Hangover. I called the Cheoah Ranger District and they told me about a forest fire down the mountain and something about needing to cut fire lines. The clearcut doesn't seem to be anywhere near a fire, instead it looks to be a helicopter landing zone and firefighter drop off point.

I thought a wilderness is immune to such logging . . . even during a forest fire. Might be wrong. Obviously. If there's anyone who knows this place and knows how special it is/was, you'll be shocked.

MOWGLI
11-23-2007, 11:05
I thought a wilderness is immune to such logging . . . even during a forest fire. Might be wrong. Obviously. If there's anyone who knows this place and knows how special it is/was, you'll be shocked.

Could it be the restoration of a bald?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-23-2007, 11:09
:eek::eek: I hope there is a good explanation for why this was done :eek::eek:

Tipi Walter
11-23-2007, 11:11
Could it be the restoration of a bald?

I doubt it, bald restoration needs periodic clearing and since there's no road for a mower and since it's inside a wilderness, I doubt if a bald could be maintained without the use of power tools, etc. And the Hangover is smack dap in the middle of a wilderness area.

generoll
11-23-2007, 11:17
now if they'll just clear off Jenkins Meadow.

MOWGLI
11-23-2007, 11:21
I tried to call the Forest Service, but no one is in the office. Walter, maybe you could follow up for us and let us know what they say.

http://main.nc.us/graham/hiking/rangerhq.html

Cuffs
11-23-2007, 11:35
There was a 300 acre fire recently here in AL in the Cheaha Wilderness. From what I saw (with my own eyes) and what I read and heard, the rangers kept to the Wilderness ways and did nothing but cut a fire line around the Wilderness... the fire just took its course.