PDA

View Full Version : damn deer

Lone Wolf
11-23-2007, 11:55
heard something outside my house around 2 AM. grabbed my piece and snuck out the back door and there stood a 6 point buck. he snorted and ran to the neighbors yard where he joined a doe

mudhead
11-23-2007, 12:03
Say goodbye to the landscaping.

Cheap entertainment watching them slobber over apples.

The Old Fhart
11-23-2007, 12:10
Lone Wolf-"he snorted and ran to the neighbors yard where he joined a doe"Is that another euphemism for what some call the Texas two step?:D

STEVEM
11-23-2007, 12:31
The bear got my garbage cans again last night. Need to take a walk around the yard to see how much I can find.

SawnieRobertson
11-23-2007, 12:32
Weather here in SW Virginia is all that a deer hunter could ask for--at least it was early this morning, and it'll probably stay that way again tonight. I see the pickups pass by. There drivers, mostly big, heavy men in their 40s, aren't dressed for feeding cattle. They are covered in camoflage with a touch of blaze orange about the neck. Then I hear the shots in the forest all around me. It is not a choice day for hiking, just hunting. Don't cha wonder if those deer were seeking sanctuary, having no idea whose back yard they had invaded?--Kinnickinic

Footslogger
11-23-2007, 12:42
Funny you should mention deer ...cuz we almost had one in the front seat with us yesterday. Driving along at about 60mph and a buck (happened to fast to count antler points) leaped out from a ditch along side the interstate and landed on the road surface about 50 feet or so in front of the car. At our speed and the icey road conditions, about all we could do was let off the gas and hope for the best. It was daylight so it wasn't a "deer in the headlights" scenario. Mr Dear wisely bounded immediatley and finished crossing into the median. Fortunately we were the only car on the road at that point. Needless to say, heart rates were elevated (ours and the deer's, no doubt).

Beautiful up here in Helena though today. Might head up into the Bob Marshall Wilderness later today for a little snow shoeing.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
11-23-2007, 12:51
Damn skunk! Went outside last week in the middle of the night to find one interested in my cat. After the cat got sprayed twice in the last 2 months, he wasn't nearly as interested as the skunk was. My cat was sitting in the rocking chair on the porch warily eying the polecat as it scurried away.

Skidsteer
11-23-2007, 12:54
Pepe LePeux!

My son and I tried to thin the deer out some this AM. No luck yet.

cannonball
11-23-2007, 13:46
heard something outside my house around 2 AM. grabbed my piece and snuck out the back door and there stood a 6 point buck. he snorted and ran to the neighbors yard where he joined a doe
You sure it wasn't Larry with one of those antler stocking caps on?;)

chezrad
11-23-2007, 17:24
My problem has been possums. They've ripped up my screen porch to get to the catfood that hasn't been there for 4 months cause the cat died! I've washed the porch down three times.

buckowens
11-23-2007, 17:33
Pepe LePeux!

I tried yesterday and only saw one doe. It was so windy I had to rely on the ones I saw as opposed to heard...

Tha Wookie
11-23-2007, 17:40
i see deer all the time here at the farm. Our bamboo post deer fence worked wonders this growing season. We used a thin plastic green rollout fencing around the perimeter.

I've considered getting a bow recently. But I always told myself my first deer kill would be from a bow I made. Then there's the vegetarian roommate/landlord. hmmmm..... the fence will have to hold up for now.

gold bond
11-23-2007, 18:15
And it ain't lookin at ya from over the fire place.....maybe along with the neibores dog / cat.....

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2007, 18:15
I've seen more deer at my mom's house, which is only 5 miles from D.C.(Oxon Hill, Md), than I've ever seen on the AT. Seriously, everytime I walk down the street I see deer; one time I saw a pack of six crossing the street.

mudhead
11-23-2007, 18:41
Pepe LePeux!

Had fun though?

I've seen more deer at my mom's house, which is only 5 miles from D.C.(Oxon Hill, Md), than I've ever seen on the AT. Seriously, everytime I walk down the street I see deer; one time I saw a pack of six crossing the street.
Suburban buffet. Around here it's coyotes and cats, as well.

Skidsteer
11-23-2007, 19:46
Had fun though?

You know it!

Just got back from the evening hunt. Been tellin' lies, talking about tomorrow and eating T Day leftovers.

The full moon is beautiful but it plays havoc with patterning deer.

Smile
11-23-2007, 19:48
Bucks are always bigger in the neighbors yard :)

mudhead
11-23-2007, 19:57
Ever heard the "sity poin buck?" Upper Midwest accent. Plays on the radio around here yearly.

Cuffs
11-23-2007, 19:59
I just came in from my first evening hunt of the seaon... saw several small does, but nothing worth taking. Back at it again in the morning!

Skidsteer
11-23-2007, 20:15
I just came in from my first evening hunt of the seaon... saw several small does, but nothing worth taking. Back at it again in the morning!

We've got either sex days in GA this weekend. Looking to fill the freezer with some left over for SORUCK. Maybe some Summer sausage!

Lone Wolf
11-23-2007, 20:18
i'm gonna be on the roof tonite with bow. if rudolf ventures in the yard, he gets whacked. backstraps for breakfast.

mudhead
11-23-2007, 20:29
You'd plug Bambi's Father?

Cuffs
11-23-2007, 20:30
We've got either sex days in GA this weekend. Looking to fill the freezer with some left over for SORUCK. Maybe some Summer sausage!

Our doe season is almost the entire season... and a 3 buck limit for the entire season... I did let a 6 pointer go by, only because I couldnt get the shot.... hope he comes back tomorrow!!

Skidsteer
11-23-2007, 20:31
i'm gonna be on the roof tonite with bow. if rudolf ventures in the yard, he gets whacked. backstraps for breakfast.

The roof? Wear your Yaktrax. :D

Cuffs
11-23-2007, 20:31
You'd plug Bambi's Father?

You betcha!!!:banana

Cuffs
11-23-2007, 20:32
Love the summer sausage too Skids! I get mine made like slim jims... bring some to Ruck to swap!!

wrongway_08
11-23-2007, 21:11
My brother inlaw (Dan) had a deer run into the side of his truck last night, the deer died. The antlers broke off and the deer was right beside the road.

Dan drove his girl back to her house (less then 1/2 mile down the road) and then went back to get the deer - he thinks the guy in a SUV behind him stopped and pick it up before he got the chance to - it was gone, along with the antlers!!

So he has a really dented in door, extend cab section and truck bed but no deer stakes to show for it!!!

Nightwalker
11-23-2007, 22:53

I saw, probably, the same one about 2 blocks from your house, on Railroad Street, while you were on the Long Trail. He was standing totally still, and he and my dog just stared each other down from about 30-40 feet apart. He was a 6-pointer and his antlers were still covered in felt at the time. He was a beautiful young boy indeed. It kinda blew my mind at the time. :)

Tennessee Viking
11-24-2007, 01:31
Does anyone have any good deer deterrents? My parents have had problems with deer for years and nothing has worked. They tried planting stuff that deer hate, stuff that should make deer sick, hot pepper water solutions, and wolf urine. But the deer just come in and eat everything. We even been tempted for bow hunters to come in and hunt during season. The just walk right off the mountain and eat through the entire neighborhood like a buffet line.

Nearly Normal
11-24-2007, 01:49

You should be able to find a processor. Done properly and shrink wrapped for about $60 your guest will never know what they complimented you on was venison.
The shrink wrapping will extend the freezer life very well.

Nearly Normal

L Tee
11-24-2007, 02:21
wolf, two things, i cant wait to meet you, or at least hope to meet you when i pass through your place of residence. you are about the funniest mother f'r, even if its just over the internet. second, shoot first then ask questions later.

Nean
11-24-2007, 04:16
We've had elk. deer. Sly, bear, mother in law and a few other critters, in the yard this year!:eek:

Sly
11-24-2007, 08:50
We've had elk. deer. Sly, bear, mother in law and a few other critters, in the yard this year!:eek:

Yo Smilely Hog, :p where are you posting from? :-?

superman
11-24-2007, 09:07
My brother inlaw (Dan) had a deer run into the side of his truck last night, the deer died. The antlers broke off and the deer was right beside the road.

Dan drove his girl back to her house (less then 1/2 mile down the road) and then went back to get the deer - he thinks the guy in a SUV behind him stopped and pick it up before he got the chance to - it was gone, along with the antlers!!

So he has a really dented in door, extend cab section and truck bed but no deer stakes to show for it!!!

Since he has a pick up truck, why didn't he just throw the deer in the back? It's not like he had to have the girl friend hold the bloody dead deer on her lap. If the girl was squeamish about road kill, he should get a different girl. Now if the girl had gutted the deer with her nail file that would be a keeper (the girl). (humor...I think)

superman
11-24-2007, 09:13
Does anyone have any good deer deterrents? My parents have had problems with deer for years and nothing has worked. They tried planting stuff that deer hate, stuff that should make deer sick, hot pepper water solutions, and wolf urine. But the deer just come in and eat everything. We even been tempted for bow hunters to come in and hunt during season. The just walk right off the mountain and eat through the entire neighborhood like a buffet line.

I've found that the 7.62 round works best for me. No deer in the freezer will eat the bushes and flowers. Bambi and family look nice but they can be pests.

cannonball
11-24-2007, 09:15
Road kill deer are nasty. Thaey are all busted up inside and bleed out all through thier body. Not worth the time or trouble to deal with.

wrongway_08
11-24-2007, 09:41
Since he has a pick up truck, why didn't he just throw the deer in the back? It's not like he had to have the girl friend hold the bloody dead deer on her lap. If the girl was squeamish about road kill, he should get a different girl. Now if the girl had gutted the deer with her nail file that would be a keeper (the girl). (humor...I think)

He is still kicking himself in the arse for that!

His girl comes from a line of hunters..... no idea why he didnt make her give him a hand tossing it in. :confused:

Nean
11-24-2007, 13:19
Yo Smilely Hog, :p where are you posting from? :-?

I'm staying at Buckys in Creede for a couple of weeks, pretending to work.:eek: ...So I'll be causing trouble on WB while I'm here.:D

mweinstone
11-24-2007, 13:39
will you eat the whole thing or give some to a butcher for dressing it for you or will you do it? what do you do with the antler? what if he kicks your car?

Sly
11-24-2007, 13:57
I'm staying at Buckys in Creede for a couple of weeks, pretending to work.:eek: ...So I'll be causing trouble on WB while I'm here.:D

Oh Ok, thought you may have got a phone or sumpthin' :p Any snow where you're at?

Nean
11-24-2007, 14:02
Oh Ok, thought you may have got a phone or sumpthin' :p Any snow where you're at?

Finally got a couple of inches the past couple of days. :)
Big change from Kauai!:sun ;) :D

mudhead
11-24-2007, 19:04

The only thing that works for me is fence. They even reach over the top to graze what they can.

Homestyle deterrants are worse than the deer.

If you do ask in the hunters, be sure they don't spread the urine. Ziplock or flush. Spread the gore.

Saw a healthy spike-horn out walking today. Eye-hunting.

Skidsteer
11-24-2007, 19:26
Love the summer sausage too Skids! I get mine made like slim jims... bring some to Ruck to swap!!

Mission accomplished.

We will have Summer sausage at SORuck. :D

rainmaker
11-24-2007, 21:06

Madame and I are avid gardeners of vegetables and flowers. We use an electric fence around the veg. garden. To habituate the deer to avoid the fence, and thusly the garden, we bait the fence with peanut butter and turn on the fence. It is truly a glorious sight to see that lonnng tonge sample 5000 volts of Duke Energy's finest.

As for the flower garden, invite over some male friends for a BBQ and supply the beer. Provide a 5 gallon bucket to pee in. Apply and repeat as needed.

Finally, apply miloganic , processed sewage sludge, around the borders of the shrubs and flower garden. Deer will normally avoid it.

mudhead
11-24-2007, 21:25
I'm calling PETA on you and that fence.

Do they jump?

Cuffs
11-24-2007, 22:01
Ive seen deer clear 5 foot fences!

Sly
11-25-2007, 00:23
As for the flower garden, invite over some male friends for a BBQ and supply the beer. Provide a 5 gallon bucket to pee in. Apply and repeat as needed.

Finally, apply miloganic , processed sewage sludge, around the borders of the shrubs and flower garden. Deer will normally avoid it.

I doubt the pee works as a deterrent, as it usually attracts deer for the salt.

Nearly Normal
11-25-2007, 03:03
Barbour shop hair
radio under washtub
urine
movable scare crow, put your dirty clothes on it every day
electric fence with multiple strands up to about 8 feet
motion detector lights

All of these things will work for only a short time. You have to keep switching tactics.

A fenced yard with a couple of dogs that like to bark will keep them out but drive you and the folks next door to drink.

They don't like sprinklers but you can only water so much.
They make a motion detector sprinkler but I don't know first hand how well they work and you need deep pockets to buy one.

NN

ChinMusic
11-25-2007, 03:47
Damn deer: One caved in the right front end of my new Prius last night I was just leaving for a night hike under the full moon and had only gotten 1/4 mile from my house. I think the right front tire is FUBAR too from getting cut by sheet metal, but I made it back to the house. My wife wasn't too happy when I just moved my stuff over to her car and took off.

Full moon, clear sky....gotta do it.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/DeerAccident11242007005.jpg

STEVEM
11-25-2007, 08:11
Damn deer: One caved in the right front end of my new Prius last night I was just leaving for a night hike under the full moon and had only gotten 1/4 mile from my house. I think the right front tire is FUBAR too from getting cut by sheet metal, but I made it back to the house. My wife wasn't too happy when I just moved my stuff over to her car and took off.

Full moon, clear sky....gotta do it.

The last deer I hit ran into the side of my 10 month old Accord. It hit the front left fender then rolled down the side of the car taking out the driver side mirror and bending both doors and the rear quarter panel. Nearly $4000 to repair.

I pulled over quickly to see what happened and saw the deer stand up and run away. I doubt it went far judging by the bloody snot all over my car.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-25-2007, 09:13
Two deer ran into the side of He-Dinos truck maybe 15 years ago - did nearly $2,000 in damage. One was dead at the scene and the other was found dead later. He has no idea why they charged his truck.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2007, 09:29
He has no idea why they charged his truck.

well it's not like he had the chance to ask them :cool:

STEVEM
11-25-2007, 10:06
My worst deer accident left the deer completely unharmed.

I was driving to the Catskills for a winter climb of Panther Mountain when a herd of deer jumped out in the road and started to lick the salt from the road surface. I stopped successfully as did 2 or 3 cars coming in the opposite direction. with a little coaxing with our horns we were able to get the deer off the road. I just started to move when I heard screeching tires. I looked in the mirror and saw a flash of white as a young girl smashed full speed into me.

Her car a Honda Civic was crushed back to the front wheels, air bags deployed and engine dropped to the road. My car a '93 Grand Am was bent across the roof, plactic rear bumper pushed into the rear tires, driver seat back broken, passenger door sprung open slightly but jammed. Everything from my glove compartment including the door was in the back seat.

Fortunately, no one was seriously injured, and my car was still sort of drivable. I refused a trip to the ER, drove the additional 2 miles to the trailhead and completed my hike. I was pretty sore for the next week.

My car which was worth about $1500 had over $10000 of damage. So much for that car.

Nean
11-25-2007, 11:03
I can't wait to show these post to my girl. I once had a deer hit me on the passenger side w/o even realizing it happened until the next day.:confused: I thought I hit a pot hole or limb or sumthin.:o She was sure I mowed down the herd as she had never heard of a deer doing that. Actually I hadn't either until I brought my car into the shop and the guy there said he gets several cars a year that have been hit by deer.;)

mudhead
11-25-2007, 11:44
Two deer ran into the side of He-Dinos truck maybe 15 years ago - did nearly $2,000 in damage. One was dead at the scene and the other was found dead later. He has no idea why they charged his truck.

Darting accross the road. They just missed the front. Death-by-pickup.

I looked over my shoulder while slowing down, then looked back to see a runty deer bend around the front wheel of a bike. Had to buy a new helmet.

Got a Bell. Full face. Almost 30 years, I still can replay it. When does that memory loss stuff happen?

MOWGLI
11-25-2007, 11:50
I can't wait to show these post to my girl. I once had a deer hit me on the passenger side w/o even realizing it happened until the next day.:confused: I thought I hit a pot hole or limb or sumthin.:o She was sure I mowed down the herd as she had never heard of a deer doing that. Actually I hadn't either until I brought my car into the shop and the guy there said he gets several cars a year that have been hit by deer.;)

Happened to me once. Knocked the door handle off of my Saturn. This was in Monroe, NY about 3 miles from the AT. Went back the next day and found the door handle on the shoulder of the road and popped it back on. The deer was stunned, but ran off.

Cuffs
11-25-2007, 11:52
WooHoo! I had a fat doe jump in front of a speeding bullet this morning!! Venison stew will be at Ruck!

wudhipy
11-25-2007, 11:54
:-?so far we have added two to the freezer from the hills of Eastern Ky. Was excited to hear an Elk opening day of Black Powder but not near as excited as Trail Angel got her first deer on her first deer hunt.......I took quite a ribbing until I finally got one during rifle season. We are looking forward to late black powder and the possibility of tagging out ( trail jerkey ) of course that elk is still Bugeling in the area we frequent.......never know.

wudhipy

Toolshed
11-25-2007, 12:54
I've hit 3 since 78. 2 did damage to my vehicles. The third couldn't match the 55 MPH bumper on a 5 ton dump truck and I rolled over that sad ba$tard.
the last encounter was in 2002 - I was in a jetta and 4 of them came at me from the shoulder - the first two ran in front and were clear, the 3rd hit my front Drivers side fender and slammed head down on my hood with an antler breaking into the windshield and leaving a small hole. the 4th one went over the top of my car - it had to be a gigantic leap, I saw it coming at me from the corner of my eye. Damn Field Rats.

Funny, I have to worry about them more in the 'burbs of NJ going to work, rather than all the cornfields in PA.

mudhead
11-25-2007, 18:44
Field rats.

I like that!

turtle fast
11-25-2007, 18:45
Earlier this week my hunting party got 2 nub bucks. I and another guy were talking not paying attention and two does ran by...we both got off a shot but the deer had turned direction and the shots went wild....well maybe later in the season something will come by. Wisconsin was listed as number 1 as to deer auto collisions.

Tin Man
11-25-2007, 18:49
My wife ran into a deer on her way home from work late one night. She called me from her cell phone to meet her in the driveway. She was afraid to get out of the car and see antlers sticking out of the grill. This was 14 years ago and I still enjoy telling the story.

Regarding the dear that eat my bushes every year - I wish I spent the money on protecting the land where I built rather than forcing them to eat out of my yard. ;)

taildragger
11-26-2007, 11:34
The deer up here where I hunted used to not be to smart, then I shot two with a bow (and unfortunately lost my first deer in my 13 years of deer hunting :mad:) now they won't cross into the field that I hunt if my truck is on the property, that and the wind has been killing me, its blowing into the woods across the road where they stay during the day.

OTOH I injured my back, so deer hunting for another week or so is a no-no. I've got enough meat to feed me for the rest of the time up here. Now, if I could only get one of those turkies that I see in the middle of Poughkeepsie all the time...

dessertrat
11-26-2007, 11:39
I saw five deer this weekend on the AT in Maryland; two times I saw two flags, and couldn't ID any more than that, another time a doe that jumped out right in front of me.

taildragger
11-26-2007, 11:48
The middle of November to the middle of December is always the fun deer vs car season, the rut makes them do some strange things.

First week that I had a new (new to me) pickup I had a close encounter with a big 14-16 pt prarie buck (crossing onto land that my dad can hunt but is off limits to me). That ol' boy was hauling A when he stopped in the other lane, I was going about 70 and realized that it wasn't worth the effort to try and slow down. I could still see him by the moonlight in the mirrors as he watched me drive on for a bit, then he crossed the fence and continued to keep hauling.

I'm just convinced that a rutting buck is crazier than a frat boy at a party.

Wonder
11-26-2007, 12:15
I think that it's time for me to invest in a new shotgun and get my permit down here. I live in an apartment complex near the ROck school.....and belive it or not....I get deer AND a monthly bear wandering thru my parking lot. I have a feeling the neighbors wouldn't be too keen on me doing some bathrobe hunting from my deck.....

taildragger
11-26-2007, 12:22
I think that it's time for me to invest in a new shotgun and get my permit down here. I live in an apartment complex near the ROck school.....and belive it or not....I get deer AND a monthly bear wandering thru my parking lot. I have a feeling the neighbors wouldn't be too keen on me doing some bathrobe hunting from my deck.....

Use a bow, they'll never know

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-26-2007, 12:29
These field rats are no dummies -- I saw two in my backyard at twlight last night. This is a residential area with an interstate highway about 1 mile away and a major state highway much closer. The deer know hunters can't do their thing where people live and they come into neighborhoods every year during hunting season.

ki0eh
11-26-2007, 12:37
Last year in PA rifle season I had a doe bed down right off my porch. Then I tried to think, "well, is that actually 150 yards from other houses, hmm..." Then I remembered I live in a thoroughly policed township around folks who didn't grow up in the country and decided it wasn't worth it.

mudhead
11-26-2007, 13:31
.22LR. They was eatin' my bushes...

RadioFreq
11-26-2007, 13:31
Couple of weeks ago I was working at a transmitter site in extreme No. MN. During the daytime MNDOT had a bunch of mowers out cutting the grass in the culverts/ditches along the highways. That night on my 25 mile drive back to my hotel there were numerous herds of deer out along side the road eating the freshly cut grass.

Anyone hunting in NO. MN who doesn't get their deer this season just isn't trying.

ChinMusic
11-26-2007, 14:48
Anyone hunting in NO. MN who doesn't get their deer this season just isn't trying.
The number of deer in Illinois is nutzo as well. They are everywhere. We need to give their unnatural predators more permits......

Nightwalker
11-28-2007, 00:46
The number of deer in Illinois is nutzo as well. They are everywhere. We need to give their unnatural predators more permits......

Yeah, but what will the PETArs think? :)

ChinMusic
11-28-2007, 01:54
Yeah, but what will the PETArs think? :)
I'm a member of PETA....

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

superman
11-28-2007, 07:17
Got Mine

superman
11-28-2007, 10:59
Gut Deer

Uncle Silly
11-28-2007, 17:15
I have a feeling the neighbors wouldn't be too keen on me doing some bathrobe hunting from my deck.....

I'd laugh. Save some venison jerky for me!

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 17:18
I have a feeling the neighbors wouldn't be too keen on me doing some bathrobe hunting from my deck.....

I know a guy who killed a deer from his bathroom window with bow and arrow.

leeki pole
11-28-2007, 17:31
I know a guy who killed a deer from his bathroom window with bow and arrow.
bow hunters go where no hunter has gone before:cool:

Nearly Normal
12-01-2007, 10:43
Let's go by the rules and regs please.
22 caliber is not legal for deer.

Bootstrap
12-01-2007, 11:15
Field rats.

I like that!

Around here they call them "rats on stilts".

Jonathan

superman
12-01-2007, 11:53
I was going to dress mine today but it's 13 degrees with strong gusting winds. It's hanging in my carriage shed and I suspect it will be hanging there tomorrow. I'm afraid the feathers would blow all over (excuse):) .

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2007, 12:07
Must still be deer season - saw field rats out back again at daybreak.

Toolshed
12-01-2007, 12:30
Bow Hunters always pull back hard before they release. :banana

taildragger
12-01-2007, 14:40

Depends on the state, some will let you use a .22 hornet, basically, if its a centerfire they'll let you shoot it.

ChimneySpring
12-03-2007, 12:02

If they are determined enough, nothing short of killing them will work. I have heard of people having success with motion sensored sprinklers. Even though I hunt and we have a large dog with free reign of the yard, they will still pass through from time to time (although they leave the plants closest to the house alone). There are some varieties of plants that they won't eat, but it took us a while to figure those out.

If the topography permits, your parents should seriously consider allowing some people to come there during archery season. In many suburban areas, there are clubs who specialize in helping landowners with their herd and they all have proof of hunter safety education and very strict ethics on how they conduct suburban hunts. First and foremost, they should focus their efforts on does.

Newb
12-03-2007, 14:21
I had to hit a deer with my Leki in SNP last month. It just stood in the middle of the Trail and stared at me. I shouted, waved my arms and said, "SHOO!". Nothing. I actually poked it with my stick and even then it only stepped off the trail about 10 feet. Then it looked back at me and I'm fairly convinced it threw me the deer-look equivalent of a middle finger.

saimyoji
12-04-2007, 20:42
Pretty sure you coulda stabbed that deer to death in self defense, then harvested the meat. :cool:

(of course I jest, before you bitch)

Critterman
12-05-2007, 21:42

Get a couple of retired greyhounds. My friends pair have killed 3 deer in her yard so far.

mudhead
12-06-2007, 07:47

His case, suburbia, firearm discharge is not legal. I spoke in jest. Everyone knows you can't plug a deer with .22LR hollow points. Make too much noise.

Might hurt your hearing.

The heavy snow here bent some cedars out front. Hoovered. Damn deer.

Programbo
12-09-2007, 20:45
Deer are out of control...I see them right along the Baltimore and Washington DC beltways on my deliveries now in densely populated areas

taildragger
12-09-2007, 20:55
If that punk is swtill there come Dec. 20th, let me know, I might be in Damascus on my way home and I love shootin' deer with my ol' bow.

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 22:45
I had to hit a deer with my Leki in SNP last month. It just stood in the middle of the Trail and stared at me. I shouted, waved my arms and said, "SHOO!". Nothing. I actually poked it with my stick and even then it only stepped off the trail about 10 feet. Then it looked back at me and I'm fairly convinced it threw me the deer-look equivalent of a middle finger.

Reminds me of the time I was family camping and I was sitting by the embers of my dieing fire after my wife and boys went to bed. When I looked up a fawn was staring at me, no more than 10 feet away. It kind of scuffed a hoof in the dirt at me and slowly walked back into the forest. Interesting stuff.

Skidsteer
12-21-2007, 12:23
Got another one for you this morning L. Wolf.

Nice 5 pointer.

mudhead
12-21-2007, 12:30
Chunky?

Need to change your name to freezerbagger.

dessertrat
12-21-2007, 12:35

It expected you to feed it. People have been feeding them.

rafe
12-21-2007, 12:57
The deer are now gnawing on the hedges in front of our house. Not by the road -- but the shrubs just next to the house. Poor bastards must be hungry. (There's about 3 feet of snow on the ground.) I've also seen 'em curled up in the snow, resting or semi-sleeping, in the woods by the edge of our lawn.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2007, 12:59
The deer are now gnawing on the hedges in front of our house. Not by the road -- but the shrubs just next to the house. Poor bastards must be hungry. (There's about 3 feet of snow on the ground.) I've also seen 'em curled up in the snow, resting or semi-sleeping, in the woods by the edge of our lawn.

whack 'em and fire up the grill!

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 13:03
whack 'em and fire up the grill!
How ironic. The best way to cure their unger is to eat them.:cool:
:p

warraghiyagey
12-21-2007, 13:04
And by unger I mean hunger.
:o

JAK
12-21-2007, 13:26
What a bunch.
Does no one care about their unger ???

TOW
12-21-2007, 13:31
Referring to the above post about the deer in SNP. When I was hiking through there in '01 I had a buck come up on my left side and a doe on the right side and walk with me several hundred feet. When I would stop so would they. I did everything I could think of to rid myself of theses two but they kept on grazing and keeping in step with me until they seem to have lost interest and wandered away.