PDA

View Full Version : satellite radio on the trail

sloopjonboswell
11-23-2007, 22:04
has anybody tried it? i bet reception would be patchy. those portable jobs look like a lot of fun though.

ChinMusic
11-23-2007, 22:23
I owned a Pioneer Inno for exactly 3 days. It does NOT work unless you hold it to the SW sky and are completely unobstructed. It is totally worthless by itself if you are moving. If you get the optional headset you will do better but folks have posted about it being fragile. I would think that the headset is not ready for backpacking.

IMO, we are a few years off of being able to use Sat Radio while on the move backpacking. I do think the Inno would work as a "camp radio" where you could set it on the ground and listen.

edit: The battery life is pathetic as well for our backpacking needs.

Sly
11-23-2007, 23:30
A buddy of mine had XM in New Mexico this year. It worked great in camp, listening to the Red Sox games. Charged with a Solio solar charger.

Nean
11-23-2007, 23:41
A buddy of mine had XM in New Mexico this year. It worked great in camp, listening to the Red Sox games. Charged with a Solio solar charger.

But why on earth would anyone enjoy listening to the Red Sox...?:-? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

wakapak
11-23-2007, 23:51
But why on earth would anyone enjoy listening to the Red Sox...?:-? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

question is...why would anyone NOT enjoy it?? :P

generoll
11-23-2007, 23:55
just stay out from under the trees (like in New Mexico) and you'll be fine. until the battery goes.

deadhorsejoe
11-24-2007, 00:17
My son and I listened to the Auburn-Arkansas game on a Sirius stelitto while hiking from Neels gap to Springer 4 or 5 weeks ago. Worked great. They do eat batteries.

Tennessee Viking
11-24-2007, 00:28
It will all depend on the geography. If your camping out under a very dense tree canopy. You will probably get some patchy reception. Hollows, steep valleys, and maybe around large amounts of rock croppings.

My XM Roadie goes in and out around the remote trailheads in Tennessee/North Carolina.

Tennessee Viking
11-24-2007, 00:29
Got to be a Yank fan.

Sly
11-24-2007, 02:18

I don't, when they're losing! (smiley hog!!!)

FFTorched
11-24-2007, 09:48
I had a Siuris in my truck and it was great, except in the woods, and overcast days. Also anytime I drove past someone else with some sort of transmitter my signal got stomped out.

MOWGLI
11-24-2007, 10:53

We missed you Nean. Especially comments like the one above. No longer in New Orleans? How you been?

NICKTHEGREEK
11-24-2007, 11:45
This topic came up before, and I wondered if anyone has correlated loss of GPS signals with loss of Sirius/XM due to foliage, etc. I have a sirius in my car that loses lock under trees

Skyline
11-24-2007, 11:56
I have Sirius at home and in my Trailblazer. Rodney has it in the shuttle vehicles. Content-wise, it's like the difference between old B&W 4-channel TV and 250-channel satellite TV with HD. You won't want to go back to terrestrial radio once you've given Sirius a trial. And you can get a trial via the internet for free by going to http://www.sirius.com/getsirius. A link to the free trial is at the bottom of this linked page. Then you can make up your mind about the content and decide if you want to invest in the hardware and pay for a subscription (prices for the hardware start low and go high, depends on your needs and wants).

As for Sirius being trail-worthy, several thoughts:

The "wearable" model, Stilletto, is seen occasionally being used by dayhikers here in Shenandoah National Park. It is not very heavy and is compact. It's not the cheapest model they offer, but you can spend more on other models.

Hikers I've spoken to who dayhike with the Stiletto get great reception along much (but not all) of the higher-elevation AT. Not so great on the side trails that dip into the hollows.

Overnight backpackers out for only a weekend or a long weekend report similar results. Even if they camp down the mountain, they say they can usually set up somewhere that reception is OK.

The problem with satellite radio--whether Sirius or XM, the company it is trying to buy out--is that the portable models drain the batteries rather fast. You can get, if you're lucky, about 15-20 hours of live feeds. More if you are using its other functions without a live feed (playback of shows or music previously recorded via satellite, or as an MP3-type player). IMHO this makes it impractical for long distance hiking, though you could certainly move a recharger in a bounce box and recharge during town stops. Even then, though, you'd have to be very careful about using it on-trail to conserve the battery between towns.

I'm sure Sirius is working on an upgrade that will afford longer battery life. When they can get the live feed up to about 40 hours between charges, I'm definitely buying one.

EWS
11-24-2007, 11:57
This topic came up before, and I wondered if anyone has correlated loss of GPS signals with loss of Sirius/XM due to foliage, etc. I have a sirius in my car that loses lock under trees

You could, but theoretically shouldn't. GPS positioning is based upon multiple satellites from different directions, which should find a path even with obstructions. The field that satellite radio is project is much smaller, satellites in orbit centered over North America.

Here's a illustration of the Radio Satellite orbit. LINK (http://www.dogstarradios.com/sirasasecoma.html)

Here is GPS. LINK (http://www.kowoma.de/en/gps/orbits.htm)

Skyline
11-24-2007, 11:58

We don't experience Sirius signal loss due to trees, but have if driving somewhere that a signal is blocked by a mountainside or large building, or under bank/fast food drive-thrus, a second or two while driving under a highway overpass, etc.

mweinstone
11-24-2007, 13:43
real men listen to am fm on cheap transisters . realer men listen to the birds.

superman
11-24-2007, 13:51
just stay out from under the trees (like in New Mexico) and you'll be fine. until the battery goes.

Tex carried one on the CDT. It was ok when we were in the open desert but in Gila National Forest the trees messed up the signal. The AT is too treed for good service. I didn't think it was worth the weight in my opinion.

Nean
11-24-2007, 14:21
We missed you Nean. Especially comments like the one above. No longer in New Orleans? How you been?
Thanks Mowgli:)
We left NOLA a year ago this week and haven't looked back. :eek:
Got us a (free) little hostel that we call Slys Place :D in Pagosa Springs, Co. which is a CDT trail town and work in Creede which is also a CDT/CT trail town. Of the 30 or so hikers that stayed with us I knew the majority. It has been a lot of fun, life is good!!!;)

freefall
11-24-2007, 15:03
I bought XM's first incarnation of a portable unit, the Delphi XM2GO with the intentions of caryying it with me in `06 on the AT. After getting the unit, I decided not to use it for my hike. It is rather heavy and the battery does not last a long time in live mode. So I looked into getting extra batteries and they were $40 a piece and heavy. The internal antenna was not great and would lose signal easily. Even with the external antenna for portable mode did not work well as it always had to have a due south view.
From what I understand the newer models are much better but I have not tried them out yet. Most have MP3 capability as well so you have that option if the trees interfere with reception. The one thing I did like about caryying an AM/FM over the XM was access to local information (weather, etc...)

Sly
11-24-2007, 15:24

Got us a (free) little hostel that we call Slys Place :D in Pagosa Springs, Co. which is a CDT trail town

As well it should, how long did I stay there? Two months! I'll be back in the spring! :sun

Nean
11-24-2007, 15:50
As well it should, how long did I stay there? Two months! I'll be back in the spring! :sun

You are always welcome my friend.:)

MOWGLI
11-24-2007, 16:00
We left NOLA a year ago this week and haven't looked back. :eek:
Got us a (free) little hostel that we call Slys Place :D in Pagosa Springs, Co. which is a CDT trail town and work in Creede which is also a CDT/CT trail town. Of the 30 or so hikers that stayed with us I knew the majority. It has been a lot of fun, life is good!!!;)

Pagosa Springs. Not really a Colorado Trail town, is it? How far are you from Durango?

Nean
11-24-2007, 17:48
Pagosa Springs. Not really a Colorado Trail town, is it? How far are you from Durango?
No, Pagosa is just a CDT town.:sun We live 45 min/miles from Durango.:)
Creede is a trail town to both but sees mostly CT hikers, unless of course the CDT hikers are taking the" Creede Shortcut ":eek: Most of the CDT hikers go to Lake City instead of Creede for a couple of reasons, but I prefer Creede- if only for Kips Grill!:D