PDA

View Full Version : whimps!

goshawk
12-05-2003, 06:13
Every year there are more hostels popping up waiting to suck your wallet dry. You know like uncle johnny! I thought you went out to enjoy the nature and have a wilderness exp. What's happening to our beloved trail. It's turning into some commercial long trail where soon you can thru hike with out ever sleeping out side and have pizza delivered to you.

Peaks
12-05-2003, 10:18
Well, I don't know if I would call anyone a whimp. But, everyone seems to have their own goals and objectives for hiking the AT.

Some of us, we go out there for the wilderness aspects as much as possible. Others seem to have the goal of getting into the next town, or just getting another beer. While some of us want to maximize our time out of town, others seem to want to maiximize their time in towns.

Some people don't mind pooping in the woods. For others, it's roughing it when they can't get room service.

And then there's those who I never see on the trail. I always see the same faces waiting for me at the next town. Now, if they were in the last town when left, and didn't pass me, how did they get to the next town ahead of me?

Blue Jay
12-05-2003, 10:23
Some people don't mind pooping in the woods. For others, it's roughing it when they can't get room service.

And then there's those who I never see on the trail. I always see the same faces waiting for me at the next town. Now, if they were in the last town when left, and didn't pass me, how did they get to the next town ahead of me?

Maybe when you were pooping in the woods, or in your tent, or pumping water, or a thousand other reasons. Don't go purist on me now Peaks. Your posts are always excellent (even when you quote Roland).

ganj
12-05-2003, 10:28
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Beer and Poop.

Peaks
12-05-2003, 11:01
Jay,

I'm not trying to be a purist, or push their agenda. I'm just trying to make a point that some people want, or need to be more "supported" than others.

Frankly, one of my goals was to hike the AT, not to see small town America and drink their beer.

alpine
12-05-2003, 11:10
with drawn

RagingHampster
12-05-2003, 13:00
While not a thru-hiker, one of the things I enjoy about the trail is seeing the towns along the way. While I certainly love the "Wilderness" experience, I also enjoy sitting in the center of town and watching humanity buzzing around like little bees. I do think that the AT is certainly being commercialized, but you don't have to take that highway or side-trail to town-comforts. It actually increases your options as far as resupply schedules are concerned, and so long as they don't enter the trail itself, I say anything that relys on the existence of the trail is that much better for it.

A-Train
12-05-2003, 16:31
Goshawk, there is a simple way to solve this. Don't use these services, towns, etc. If you feel they cheapen your hike, or like the above mentioned, hike somewhere else.
Sure some slack A LOT. Sure some stay at hostels/towns 25 percent of the nights on the Trail. Sure some hitch into town every day to get a meal. In the end I got much respect for anyone who hikes 2,172 miles of Trail. How much you choose to carry, spend etc. is up to the individual.

I wasn't a big town guy or pizza ordered, but there is no point in gettin pissed at the rise of hostels along the AT trying to provide a busineess. And its not like the majority of hikers are protesting it, especially with increases in hikers each yr.

If you build it they will come

Skeemer
12-05-2003, 16:51
You said it better than I can...it's the HYOH thing. Why do some continue to project their values onto others?

smokymtnsteve
12-05-2003, 16:59
do you mean that hikers aren't forced to stay at hostels and trail towns??

kinda like they are forced to stay in the shelters inthe smokies... :D

Sleepy the Arab
12-05-2003, 22:56
Maybe when you were pooping in the woods, or in your tent, or pumping water...

Who the heck out there poops in their tent??

MedicineMan
12-05-2003, 23:33
Kinda like reading the Federalist Papers and then realizing what the Founding Fathers realy intended....
If you study the founding fathers of the AT you may suddenly realize that thru-hiking is a modern twist on the intention of the trail, not that it is wrong, all things will eventually be manipulated into a totally new use and/or meaning. When I read the papers of the AT founders, it was clear to me that the intent was for short term use while maintaining your current existence in town (east coast towns at the time)....that the AT experience was to be a means of clearing and rejuvenating the mind while living/working in the cities with all the madness they contain (evidently they were maddening even then)...in this vain, the hostels, motels, etc. work perfectly for the original intent.

Footslogger
12-06-2003, 19:51
Hey ...if doing a pizza and beer now and then on the trail means I'm a wimp, then I wear the title proudly. Some of you folks seem way too up tight about what others are doing.

Peaks
12-07-2003, 10:20
Hey ...if doing a pizza and beer now and then on the trail means I'm a wimp, then I wear the title proudly. Some of you folks seem way too up tight about what others are doing.

Hey, I enjoy my pizza and beer as much as the next guy. But, my objective while hiking is not to get to the next Pizza Hut. (Maybe it's to get a good burger with extra grease).

Crash
12-07-2003, 13:38
More hostels please!
this way its quieter and nicer at nite with less people out there bothering me.

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 21:05
Folks sure like to bash on Uncle Johnny's. I wonder if this general hostility towards him is part of some mild mooching expectation hikers have? As in, they've been given stuff and been kind to by townfolks and expect such treatment of others? I bet Johnny is just tired of the mooching hikers, year after year after year. That's not so bad.

smokymtnsteve
06-13-2004, 21:10
some people just have no self-control....

bunbun
06-13-2004, 22:01
Every year there are more hostels popping up waiting to suck your wallet dry. You know like uncle johnny! I thought you went out to enjoy the nature and have a wilderness exp. What's happening to our beloved trail. It's turning into some commercial long trail where soon you can thru hike with out ever sleeping out side and have pizza delivered to you.

Yup - true. But as someone else pointed out - you don't have to use them. If you need the beer and pizza and the soft bed, then go give'em your money. If you don't need those things, then go try the PCT or the CDT or Arizona or Alaska - or even PA. Y'know - there are 2000 miles of trails in Pa - and except for the AT and the Laurel Highlands, I can't offhand think of any of them that even have shelters. And you won't find hostels either. :)

c.coyle
06-14-2004, 07:41
If you don't need those things, then go try the PCT or the CDT or Arizona or Alaska - or even PA. Y'know - there are 2000 miles of trails in Pa - and except for the AT and the Laurel Highlands, I can't offhand think of any of them that even have shelters. And you won't find hostels either. :)

Not true!. There are no trails in Pennsylvania worth the effort, other than the AT. All other Pa. trails are rockier, drier, more snake-infested, viewless, and more crowded. Just like the AT, only worse. ;)

bunbun
06-14-2004, 12:10
Not true!. There are no trails in Pennsylvania worth the effort, other than the AT. All other Pa. trails are rockier, drier, more snake-infested, viewless, and more crowded. Just like the AT, only worse. ;)

LOL - haven't hiked the Donut Hole, have you? Or the Chuck Keiper? Or the Quehanna? Or ..... a lot of the other trails?

Now, if you want to talk about rockier - try the Link Trail. It is.

Snake-infested? Except for the AT, I've seen 3 rattlesnakes in the last 15 years of PA hiking. Hell, I saw 3 rattlesnakes on the PCT within ten minutes. What's the big deal? :jump

Viewless? Not that I've noticed - try the Black Forest Trail.

Drier? My boots are still drying out from the Quehanna - and that was two weeks ago.

And then there's crowded - lessee - the Donut Hole - Ive met one person or groupl every time I've been out there. Gotta figure one per 30 or 40 miles ain't bad for an east coast trail. Or maybe you'd like the Bucktail Path better - we've met exactly two groups on that trail in the last 10 years. Seems they get all of about 6 groups per year that use the trail. :)

Yeah - maybe you're right. Y'all stay away - you really don't want to hike there. Bad, bad place ------ :D

MOWGLI
06-14-2004, 12:37

Pennsylvania has more trails of 25 miles or greater length than any other state in the U.S. I suspect C. Coyle knows that, based on the winking smiley face in his post.

c.coyle
06-14-2004, 13:11
LOL - haven't hiked the Donut Hole, have you? Or the Chuck Keiper? Or the Quehanna? Or ..... a lot of the other trails?

Yeah - maybe you're right. Y'all stay away - you really don't want to hike there. Bad, bad place ------ :D

No, no, no, no, no!! Bad Bunbun!! Bunbun lies!! :datz If you've seen the Pa. AT, you've basically seen all Pa. trails.

bunbun
06-14-2004, 14:35
No, no, no, no, no!! Bad Bunbun!! Bunbun lies!! :datz If you've seen the Pa. AT, you've basically seen all Pa. trails.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Have a good day

Toolshed
06-14-2004, 14:50

Dude, Quite obvious yo haven;t been to Potter County or ben on the Susquehannock,The Black Forest Trail, the West Rim Trail or many others.

Just as well though ..... Keeps the tourists down to a minimum.....