PDA

View Full Version : what shelter?

jay590
11-24-2007, 00:22
i am having trouble deciding what shelter i want. i use my dads old bivi at the momentbut i want to get something a bit newer. i was thinking another bivi or a hammock. but i want to be able to use the shelter in winter and i'm i fairly cold sleeper so that kind of turned me off them. and there's no really light tents. i dont want to use a tarp.
what does everybody think.

Jay

EWS
11-24-2007, 00:38
Well... what's the worst weather you'll use it in, what's sort of terrain, what are you going to use it for, how many people, how much do you want to spend, do you want lightweight or durability, etc..

Hurley
11-24-2007, 00:43
hammock. get a hammock

FanaticFringer
11-24-2007, 00:50
Get a hammock of course.:cool:
I suggest doing the following: Go the this site first for great newbie hammock info. www.tothewoods.net
Also check out the archives on this site www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Last, check us out over at www.hammockforums.net
This site was started by Attroll who also helped start WhiteBlaze.
He hammock camps also.

jay590
11-24-2007, 00:53
mostly summer but this season i'm going to start hiking in winter. terrain will be rocky sometimes and steep alot of the time. but i can always fine a flat spot. it's just sometimes small.

Jay

FanaticFringer
11-24-2007, 00:57
mostly summer but this season i'm going to start hiking in winter. terrain will be rocky sometimes and steep alot of the time. but i can always fine a flat spot. it's just sometimes small.

Jay

Will there be trees where you hike?

jay590
11-24-2007, 01:06
thousands.

FanaticFringer
11-24-2007, 01:09
thousands.

Your in business.:D

jay590
11-24-2007, 01:10
ive looked at hammocks alot. they look really comfortablebut they start to get heavy in winter when u need and underquilt

Jay

FanaticFringer
11-24-2007, 01:14
I thought you sounded familiar. Already a member over at hammock forums.:cool:

jay590
11-24-2007, 01:17
yep im already over there

EWS
11-24-2007, 01:17
From what you've described, if you go with a tent, a freestanding model (so it is easy to tie down but not necessary to peg out perfectly) with a front vestibule (long thin open spaces are more common than blocky open spaces in the mountains) will be easiest to set up and find a spot for. There are tons on the market, your choice is a matter of money more or less.

If you decide to go with another Bivy, it depends on how big you are or will be. They can actually end up weighing the same amount as lightweight tents, but are stronger during bad weather than a tent of the same weight. Integral Designs and Black Diamond make some nice bivies, just have to decide which one you want.

I'm not a hammock person, you'll have to completely redo your sleeping insulation for the winter from what I understand.

FanaticFringer
11-24-2007, 01:26
ive looked at hammocks alot. they look really comfortablebut they start to get heavy in winter when u need and underquilt

Jay

Pads work well in winter. No underquilt required.

jay590
11-24-2007, 01:44
well i think you have re converted me to hammocks. i think ill het a hennessy hammock.

Jay

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-24-2007, 07:39
Jay, look at all the hammock options. While HH makes a good product, there are several other models in that price range that you may want to consider. I personally would not want to use any hammock with an attached bug-net for the sort of bushwacking adventures you describe in other posts for fear the bug-net would get ripped and could not be easily replaced.

Lyle
11-24-2007, 09:30
One other thing. In my semi-limited research of which hammock I wanted to buy, I got the impression that if you were going to depend on a pad for your bottom insulation, the HH was less practical than a top opening hammock. Not that it can't be used, but the hassle is greater if you choose a HH to use with a pad.

Now for my standard plug - I LOVE my Speer!

Also plenty of tent options. Why have you decided against a tarp? Many people's objections to tarps have been addressed by Henry Shires and Six Moon Designs in their tarp tents. Take a serious look before deciding where to spend your money, I assume that at 15 it is in rather limited supply. :-)

neo
11-24-2007, 14:21
i am having trouble deciding what shelter i want. i use my dads old bivi at the momentbut i want to get something a bit newer. i was thinking another bivi or a hammock. but i want to be able to use the shelter in winter and i'm i fairly cold sleeper so that kind of turned me off them. and there's no really light tents. i dont want to use a tarp.
what does everybody think.

Jay

this here is what i use:cool: neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1765&catid=member&imageuser=11

Dakota Dan
11-24-2007, 14:31
this here is what i use:cool: neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1765&catid=member&imageuser=11

Hey Neo, that looks really neat. Is there any way someone can try one out before spending all the money. Does REI carry them?

neo
11-24-2007, 14:39
Hey Neo, that looks really neat. Is there any way someone can try one out before spending all the money. Does REI carry them?

nope,came all the way from thailand from website below

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

i use a bigger tarp from site below

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=97247

my gallery on hammock forums
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=11

Dakota Dan
11-24-2007, 15:35
Thanks for the info Neo.

I really like the "Bat Hammock"

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html

"The Bat Hammock is designed to hang from one single attach point about 2 meters above the hammock. You can either climb into it, or you can get in on the ground and then pull yourself into the air with a rope and pulley."

I'd say this could be a different approach to keeping your stuff away from Bears. :)

saimyoji
11-24-2007, 18:34
Bat hammock looks interesting....however, 2 kilos (4.4lbs) w/o fly or mosquito net. Getting heavy there.

Dakota Dan
11-24-2007, 23:00
Bat hammock looks interesting....however, 2 kilos (4.4lbs) w/o fly or mosquito net. Getting heavy there.

....but you won't need a bear-proof container:D