PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Impressions

Chaco Taco
11-25-2007, 00:00
Just watched the Flagler movie, Appalachian Impressions. Pretty good film. Was showing on public tv. Saw alot of thru's from 03 I think it was. Anyone else seen it?

wakapak
11-25-2007, 00:13
haven't seen it, but sounds like something i may want to see!!

Pacific Tortuga
11-25-2007, 00:55
Once a month, + others for six months building to my 03/07 departure for Amacaloa.

Sly
11-25-2007, 01:27
It's a pretty good video, especially if you're not all that familiar with the trail. The same guy is making one on the CDT. He's been filming the last couple years. Hopefully it will be out soon.

Ewker
11-25-2007, 01:33
Sly, I thought he was doing one on the PCT

CaseyB
11-25-2007, 05:39
Yeah, it was ok. Slightly less uninteresting than others. You can tell he just went from road crossing to road crossing filming hikers. Other films give me the hike fever, this one don't. BLAAA! in advance to the disagreers. BLAAA!

Jerm
11-25-2007, 07:21
Sly, I thought he was doing one on the PCT

The AT film was done by Carolina Cruiser who hiked in 2001. He was thinking about the PCT next, but after talking with people at the Outdoor Retailer show he decided to do the next one on the CDT, which was filmed in 2006 and is being edited now, and should probably be out soon. At least that was how the timeline was for the AT film. The PCT, should follow to round out the trio.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2007, 07:41
Yeah, it was ok. Slightly less uninteresting than others. You can tell he just went from road crossing to road crossing filming hikers. Other films give me the hike fever, this one don't. BLAAA! in advance to the disagreers. BLAAA!

i agree it was just OK. PWI there Casey? :)

StarLyte
11-25-2007, 09:29
It was a good movie. There are so many out there now, amazing. However, I don't like special effects or over-stimulation in any movie, I usually end up watching Independent films.

I really do prefer just a simple slideshow with good photos, especially revealing the hiker's experience.

Weathercarrot does an outstanding job blending photos with good music-I'm his biggest fan.

I do appreciate the independent artist hiking films. A lot of work goes into these and the artists don't make a lot so give them your money instead of Hollywood :D

Great topic Chaco!

Lone Wolf
11-25-2007, 09:32
Trek is better

Lilred
11-25-2007, 14:00
I managed to get through the first half-hour of Appalachian Impressions before starting to fall asleep. I agree it's a good movie for someone who knows nothing about the AT. It didn't stir my soul the way Walking with Freedom did. It didn't excite me the way Trek did. However, if I were to choose a movie to show my mom what the AT is like, I'd probably choose Appalachian Impressions.

Chaco Taco
11-25-2007, 19:21
Got any links to WC's slideshows?

BTW, you going to SoRuck? I hope I will finally get to meet everyone. Looking forward to it.

It was a good movie. There are so many out there now, amazing. However, I don't like special effects or over-stimulation in any movie, I usually end up watching Independent films.

I really do prefer just a simple slideshow with good photos, especially revealing the hiker's experience.

Weathercarrot does an outstanding job blending photos with good music-I'm his biggest fan.

I do appreciate the independent artist hiking films. A lot of work goes into these and the artists don't make a lot so give them your money instead of Hollywood :D

Great topic Chaco!

Bearpaw
11-25-2007, 20:28
Appalachian Impressions was a decent documentary about the Trail. But I'm definitely with Lone Wolf that Trek is more entertaining, as it is a video about thru-hiking, showing real ups and downs without all the sanitizing of other films about the AT.

Sly
11-25-2007, 20:35
Got any links to WC's slideshows?

BTW, you going to SoRuck? I hope I will finally get to meet everyone. Looking forward to it.

If you know about bittorrent you can download the ...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=454271&postcount=1

Weathercarrot's are the earlier years.

Wonder
11-26-2007, 12:17
I watched that movie about a week before I left to hike in 96.....knowing nothing about the trail...I thought it was great! NOw, eh, not so much

Lion King
11-29-2007, 13:27
I really like "Walking With Freedom"
:D:banana:D

SweetAss03
11-29-2007, 13:47
Appalachian Impressions was well put together and Flagler AKA Carolina Cruzer is a top noch man. If you were a 2003 thru there is a pretty good chance you made the film.

Loin Kings Walking with Freedom is also a great film. Daniel AKA Lion King is a good man as well. Speaking of which...got any more of those sound tracks to the film? It was Awesome, but I never picked on up.

Trek is another good film on the Appachian Trail.

If I were to buy the set (and I did) it would be in the above order.

Speaking of sound tracks... Has everyone gone out and bought the sound track to INTO THE WILD? I thought the movie was above average. Yes the book was better. The sound track, imho is execllent.

Happy hikes
SweetAss

StarLyte
11-29-2007, 13:50
Hey Mike, I love your "Walking With Freedom". I saw it first at Miss Janet's; other hikers came in while it was showing and we had to keep restarting it. They kept apologizing but little did they know we didn't care. (Enjoying your TJs BTW)

As for Weathercarrot, yes you can obtain his movies online; I also have a full library of his, if anyone would like a DVD don't hesitate to email me. I also have the soundtracks. He has one AT and 2 PCTs. He also constructed 25 years of ALDHA, entitled ALDHA 25. He will be at both Rucks promoting the goodness-he's a great guy. The above DVDs are free to the public for educational and entertaining purposes.

J5man
11-29-2007, 14:05
I saw Flagler's film last year (and bought it). As someone said earlier, for someone like me who knew basically nothing about the trail, it was very informative and helped pique my interest in the AT. Now that I know a little more about the trail, I am anxious to see some others.

Sly
11-29-2007, 14:37
I really like "Walking With Freedom"
:D:banana:D

Most of us do too! Well, except for one well known thru-hiker film critic. ;)

Ashman
11-29-2007, 14:46
where can you find copies of these movies?

J5man
11-29-2007, 20:47
Appalachian Impressions - www.flaglerfilims.com (http://www.flaglerfilims.com)

I ordered directly from his website.

SweetAss03
11-30-2007, 13:05
Walking with Freedom www.walkingwithfreedom.com

SweetAss03
11-30-2007, 13:10
Trek www.CirqueVideo.com