PDA

View Full Version : Snoring

Former Admin
10-01-2002, 15:17
comments, concerns, experiences ( good or bad ) relating to snoring.

EarlyRiser
10-01-2002, 15:32
well growing up with my father im much more numb to loud snorers than most people so therefore have not had as many bad experiances. there was one guy on my last trip who did a few nights sleep away from the shelter because he knew hed be snoring loud, im not sure how he knew certain nights would be worse than others but he did cause i could usualy hear him from where he was. somtimes he slept in the shelter and i didnt hear a thing. id say if you know your a very loud snorer you should probably try to (especialy if the shelter is crowded) sleep somwhere else, ofcourse there are places where this is not possible so its just somthing people have to deal with cause it is afterall who you are and not your fault.

chris
10-01-2002, 15:57
Invest 95 cents in a pair of earplugs. I don't think I've ever slept in a shelter with other people in which at least one person has not snored.

Kerosene
10-01-2002, 18:48
I too have learned to bring earplugs along. Even so, with an inveterate snorer sawing wood next to you, they don't eliminate all of the irritating noise. I'm always a little concerned that I won't hear the bear sneaking up on me, but then again, the snorer is probably useful at keeping them away. :p

chris
10-02-2002, 08:32
Those whose snoring pitch is on the low (i.e, deep bass snorers) can get through my ear plus pretty easily. Medium to higher pitched ones get stopped. Sometimes I end up kicking the snorer. Unfortunately, the last time I did this I was kicking the wrong person.

steve hiker
10-13-2002, 01:52
Surgery is the answer, folks. Surgery.

Jumpstart
10-13-2002, 12:17
The best solution we found for dealing with snorers in the shelter was to pitch our tent and sleep in there. Worked like a charm everytime.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2002, 19:30
This one's really simple:

The best way to avoid snorers or other disturbances at shelters (mice, early riser, late talkers, late-night arrivals, etc.) is simply not to stay in shelters except when absolutely necessary. Did you go out there to stay in a box? No? Then why, except in really bad weather, is it so desirable to sleep in one? Most folks come to prefer their tents and absolutely sleep better away from shelters.

That being said, if excessive noise in shelters bothers you, or you're a light sleeper and are particularly sensitive to the noises and sounds made by others, well, let's say it again---you shouldn't be staying in the shelter in the first place. Likewise, if you KNOW you are likely to engage in behavior that will disturn others: i.e., you snore, talk in your sleep, thrash about, get up really early, like to hike til 9 PM, get up to pee 7 times a night, etc., well YOU don't belong in shelters, either. As for snorers, the FIRST time people take you to task for snoring in a shelter, it's usually cause for light-heartedness and laughter; after all, many folks with limited "shared" or communal outdoor experience aren't aware that they're disturbing others; the SECOND time someone calls you out for excessive snoring, well, it's not so funny anymore; you're starting
to piss people off because you're depriving them of your sleep; and to be totally blunt, folks, the THIRD time someone mentions you kept them up all night, well it's not funny at all anymore, because you've proven yourself to be an inconsiderate A*****E who doesn't give a damn about anyone else on the Trail.

Anyway, that covers it---if you know, or if you discover that you snore, and that it's likely to disturb others, then shelters aren't for you. If you're easily awoken or kept awake by the noises made by the proximity of others, well you don't belong there either. However, the onus is really on the SNORER here, folks---if you've reallly got a problem, well sleep in your tent, dammit. Regardless of the weather, nobody has the right to deprive others of sleep. And if the problem is REALLY bad, nudge the sonofa***** in the shoulder, wake him up, and let HIM lie awake for awhile til he gets the picture.

Former Admin
10-14-2002, 20:22
I am a huge snorer myself, I didn't have any problems with others about my snoring till I got in the Smokie's where I had no choice. Then all hell broke lose, also the fact that I ran into some nasty judgemental people I didn't get along with didn't help. ( they didn't like my cigarrette smoking and im not talking about smoking in the shelter either, if I was 50 yards from them and they smelled the smoke they'd ***** ).

When I did stay in shelter outside of the Smokies, I would mention to others that I snored and whether they had a problem with the fact, most didn't nor made any comments. I was hiking in February and March so shelters where not crowded and I seldom shared a shelter with more than 2 or 3 others and many times was by myself or in my tent till I hit the Smokie's, where I will probably stealth camp the next time and risk the fine.

The Weasel
10-14-2002, 22:35
I am SO glad that Baltimore Jack is here, not merely because he's a good guy, but because he is one of the best people in the whole world for me to occasionally disagree with: He has strong opinions, good ones, and doesn't mind (much) wrasslin' with someone who differs. Glad you're here, Jack; it won't be tame... So here we go again:

I think the topic of snorers is a little more subtle than Jack mentions. He leaves out (I think he'd agree with me) that a confirmed, warned, heavy duty snorer would not be turned out of a shelter during serious heavy weather. That's one thing...there is a legitimate saying on the trail that "there's always room for one more when the weather is bad", and I think pretty much everyone would tolerate Snorri under those circumstances.

Second, Admin raises the right point: Where hikers - such as in the Smokies - have no alternative (legally), the others have to accept the bad with the good and tolerate the snorer. I think it a serious mistake for ANYONE to start setting their own rules about stealth camping in fragile and sensitive places like the Smokies. Admin: Snoring or not, stay in the shelters (but be among the first to volunteer for a tent when another thru hiker comes in and wants to stay in the shelter!)

But the other point is one of modest acceptance under the circumstances, and I think a little slack can be cut by everyone: There are a lot of traits that interfere with a good night's sleep. For instance, I like to sleep as soon as I finish dinner (usually by about 8) and wake (quietly) with dawn. Those who make a campfire or talk or play poker until 10 (and sometimes later) "interfere" with my rest, but as long as they don't do it EVERY time we're together, it's part of "live and let live". Some people smell...REALLLY bad...and other people are so enjoyable to have around, well, if they have to pee 3 times at night, I can stand it. A snorer who insists on staying in my "pod" and every night waking me up wears out his or her welcome...but if she takes a break in a tent now and then, hey! I can handle having her back in a shelter sometimes too.

I don't think it's fair that someone who snores must feel banished, forever and a day, from shelters, losing some of the companionship and sense of "us-ness" that they offer, while others with other traits aren't. It's a balance thingy: Be understanding of each other, and a bit tolerant...but don't push your luck EVERY time.

The Weasel

chris
10-15-2002, 08:36
While snorers can disturb my sleep, it is a small enough price to pay for staying in the shelters. For me, the best part of the AT are the people. After all, they are, as a group and as individuals, the most interesting people I have met,in of or out of doors. That is a prime reason why I stay at the shelters.

Peaks
10-15-2002, 16:24
Chris makes a valid point. During the day, while hiking, you cross paths so to speak with several individuals. But that's not when you share time with them.

The place to spend time with other hikers is at the shelters. So, if you choose not to sleep in the shelter, then tent nearby.

Once again, To quote the music of Takoma Ted: "The people are the Trail." It certainly was the best part of my thru-hike.

Youngblood
10-20-2002, 09:01
I think everyone has a right to use the shelters and that for the most part everyone else adheres to that way of thinking. I also believe that people snore more often and deeper when they are sleeping on their backs -- and this is where sleeping on the hard shelter floors really agitates the snoring issue.

In our quest to lighten our packs, we find the lightest sleeping mat that we feel we can get by with. When we sleep on the ground, all it well as we can sleep comfortable on our sides or however else we like. On a hard shelter floor, it is often a different situation. If the sleeping mat does not provide enough cushioning to allow us to lay on our sides and rest comfortably for hours at a time, we toss and turn whenever the pressure points hurt enough to cause us to move to a different position. After awhile we usually end up on our backs because that is the position where our weight is distributed more evenly across the sleeping mat. However, this is the sleeping postion where we are more likely to snore. So, if you are a snorer and desire to sleep in shelters, you might want to consider how much cushioning you need to sleep on your side.

Youngblood

wacocelt
10-22-2002, 09:27
Every human being has an inalienable right to snore. Provided it does not interfere with the inalienable right of other men to snore. That being said, I am, on a very rare occasion, a snorer, which tends to wake me before it wakes others. I wouldn't mind the infrequent nudge to turn over to alieviate someone elses displeasure, since we are all brothers and sisters on the trail whether day, section, or thru hikers. We owe each other atleast the common courtesy of acceptance, patience and understanding.

Easyhiker
12-09-2002, 20:19
Just bringing this topic out of the inactive in 30 day

hacksaw
12-11-2002, 02:15
Snoring? It's why they call me Hacksaw. Ear plugs won't work. I'm NOT a candidate for surgery (wouldn't do it even if I was) Got tired of listening to people bitch about something over which I have absolutely no control (and tired of people like Lion King bombarding me with anything he could get his hands on all night long) so I've given up on shelters except in the most dire situations.

That said, it really won't be an issue for me any more. I have been diagnosed with a condition called Neuropathy (of which there are many forms, most controllable, none cureable) which in my case manifests itself as excrutiating foot and leg and hand to elbow pain. I have had many different pain experiences in my life, but this is indescribably bad. It is aggrivated by extended standing or walking or any activity involving the use of my feet or hands. My days of long distance hiking are over. In fact my days of most all the activities I love are over. It's even difficult to operate an automobile for more than 30 minutes at a time, so I fear that even my days as a shuttler are over as well. Even this activity I am engaged in right now is causing the pain meter to hit the peg. With medication (whose side effects for me are almost as bad as the disease) the pain may be controlled, but will likely never be eliminated, so that's about that. I'm still coming to grips with this thing and I don't have a very good attitude right now, but this too shall pass. I suppose this will suffidce as reason why you haven't seen my name on this (or any) forum lately. I haven't given up, mind you, I'm still in a state of bewilderment and disbelief(NOT denial, mind you) and am working with my docs to try and get this thing under control.

Hope you all have a happy holiday season.

More as I know it and am able to convey it.

Hacksaw

PushingDaisies
12-11-2002, 02:57
During my hike in 2002, there was one particular person that snored REALLY loud, so loud in fact that we could hear him even if he was tented a couple hundred yards from the shelter. He knew this and would almost always tent out (exception being the Smokies).

Someone was saying that the people that tent out get left out on the social aspect a little more. I don't think this is true. Due the fact that he was upfront about his snoring problem and made an effort to stay out of the shelters, everyone around him made an effort to include him. The only people I saw ostracized, were the ones that time after time did what they wanted without a care for the others around them.

SGT Rock
12-11-2002, 09:43
Man, Hacksaw that is heavy. I hope the best for you. Maybe with luck you will find a treatment that at least makes life berable and allows you to at least do some of the things you enjoy.

gravityman
12-11-2002, 10:57
Hacksaw,
A little while ago I saw a show on the learning channel that talked all about what makes spicey food spicey. The ingredient is called Capsum (sp) and then they did a segment about someone that had unbearible pain for some undiagnosed reason. He could barely walk, but had been an avid runner up to coming down with this. The treatment was to smear a super concentrated amount of this capsum on his feet. The capsum essentially numbed his pain to the point where he could even run again. It had to be repeated every few months I think...
Just a though. I figured that I could put my couch potatoe hours to some use.

You should talk with your doc about it...

Gravity man

Montana
01-12-2003, 05:40
Hacksaw,

Sorry to hear about your condition, I hope there is something out there that will help you get back to what you love.

It was a pleasure meeting you on the first day of my adventure last year, I appreciate the ride to the trail. :)

RagingHampster
01-12-2003, 08:25
If you ask me, everyone should have shelter strong enough to deal with all weather except for tropical depressions, hurricanes, or tornadoes. If you snore, and are warned multiple times, so long as an F5 isn't coming, get out.

But I exclusively sleep in my tent. I hate shelters ]and outhouses. So I deal with none of these problems.

How do you all feel about noisy hikers at 5am barrelling through your camp? For example boy scouts...

smokymtnsteve
01-12-2003, 09:52
People snore in shelters???...I have never heard anyone snoring in a shelter but then I don't wear my hearing aids when I hike..just take out your hearingaids at night and the snoring won't bother you!!!

kythruhiker
01-12-2003, 09:54
1) I snore like a wounded bear - therefore I tent away from people whenever possible. This isn't a problem for me, I don't care for the shelter system, and while I do like the companionship provided by gathering at shelters for meals/campfires, etc...I prefer solitude during the night, it's one of the reasons I backpack. I'll do everything in my power NOT to wake up sleepy hikers, as I know that most of them would do the same for me, and I'm one of 'em myself.

2) I've seen a REMARKABLE number of people on the Internet, AND on the trails, who are extremely intolerant of snorers. For those folks - pick up the clue phone, this is for you...this may be a difficult concept to grasp, but try anyway. What people do when they are unconcious is INVOLUNTARY. They don't control it, they can't stop it, nor do they do it to piss you off. I'd venture to guess that 95% of more of you, at one time or another in your life, have sawed a log or two at night and never even realized it. Again, for clarity - people stomping into a shelter after lights is voluntary - snoring is NOT. For a community that one would think, at first glance, would be full of people with a higher spirit of acceptance, I see an amazing amount of intolerance towards a condition that is 100% involuntary.

3) How do I personally handle the intolerant folks? Like I said in #1, I tent away from shelters for starters, and that usually does the trick. If I'm still in earshot, and seriously bothering someone, please feel free to come kick the tent, shake me, roll me over, whatever - that's fine with me. Please keep in mind, however, I kick back.

<kicks soapbox away>

Back to your regulary scheduled trail chat :)

Ed

Kerosene
01-12-2003, 16:34
I just saw a magazine ad targeted at sleepy wives who husbands keep them up with their snoring...a mist that you can spray on the snorer that somehow magically stops the snoring! I'm sure this would only work with some types of snoring, however. I can just envision me waking up to someone about to spritz me in the face. :eek:

RagingHampster
01-12-2003, 16:45
Use Pepper Spray (Lol)!

Most people know if they are a serious snorer. If you are, be kind to others and sleep in a tent, or get the simple operation to fix it. Most Snorers are not courteous to others, and this is why I sleep in a tent.

The few times I have slept in a shelter, someone has snored. Then in the morning they joke about it like it's funny. When they ask you if their snoring bothered you, give 'em a cold glance and the cold shoulder for the day (ie. ignore them when they talk to you). Maybe that night they'll sleep in a tent.

kythruhiker
01-12-2003, 16:58
I should have added another item to my above comments:

4) IMHO, all bets are off if the snorer is blatently rude about it, i.e., Raging's example - getting a kick out of keeping everyone awake, or braging about it the night before. If you know for sure you are going to be loud, then break out the tent.

Re: The mist stuff you spray on snorers - I wouldn't mind that as long as you wouldn't mind getting peed on the next night... :)

Ed

Youngblood
01-12-2003, 17:18
My opinion is:

If you don't want to stay in a shelter, don't.

I you want to stay in a shelter, do.

If you want to stay in a shelter and not be bothered by snoring, I suggest you wear ear-plugs...if those don't work, think about getting better ones. And it is okay to gently nudge someone to get them to stop snoring. An AT shelter is not someones private room at the Motel 6. As far as I know, shelter space is on a first come, first serve basis. If you own the shelter, then you can make the rules about who and who can't stay...you can even tell the deer mice that they can't stay there if you desire! Try to get along and play well with others...please?

Youngblood
GA->ME 2000

RagingHampster
01-12-2003, 17:37
Of course no one "Owns" the shelter, but being courteous to others is a common practice. If you know your a snorer, why would you keep 7 or 8 other people up by sleeping in the shelter? Of course you can't force them to leave, and thats why I tent out. But I really think it's a shame when people don't give a crap about anyone else...

Jeff
01-12-2003, 18:56
The trail maintainers in Pennsylvania have the answer....twin shelters. At Tumbling Run the shelters are even marked... One for snorers and one for non-snorers. Problem solved!!

Bad Ass Turtle
01-12-2003, 19:29
I made a decision fairly early in my hike that i would not sleep in shelters unless the weather was excruciatingly bad, because my snoring was bothering people. The first time I realized how bad it was was the night (can't remember the shelter) when TILT told me I sounded like a herd of wildebeest.

As someone who was doing an ethnography (of sorts) of thru-hikers, and thus seriously needing the goodwill of all hikers around me, I decided to spend as much time around the shelters in the evenings as possible -- to be sociable and to do my research, interview, etc -- but to retire to my tent at night. I found that this gave me the best of both worlds. I love the people on the AT -- we could sit and cook dinner together, read the register, joke around, etc -- and then I slept so much better in my tent than I ever did in a shelter. I slept better in my tent because I felt more comfortable in my cocoon, I knew I wasn't disturbing anyone involuntarily, sleeping on the ground is more comfortable than on a hard wooden platform, the bugs never got to me, mice didn't crawl on me, I could get up as early as I wanted, I could pee as many times a night as I needed to . . .

the list could go on, but I'll stop. In general, I felt that I was able to maintain friendships with other trail people by separating from them at night.

Blue Jay
01-12-2003, 21:16
I actually do not mind snoring, when I hike not much keeps me awake. Once I was in a shelter with 5 guys, every one of them snoring. One was high frequency and one was bass, with the others in the middle. I swear if I had had a tape recorder I would be a rich man today. They were playing off each other. It would sell like that song with dogs doing jingle bells. Every once in a while you come across the chain saw snorer, who hurts your ears through gun shot ear plugs. That person is usually offensive in many ways. The type that washes in the water source or has a wet dog that likes to shake off on your sleeping bag, while they just smile. You move on.