PDA

View Full Version : Thru '09 Gear List

Lxandr90
11-25-2007, 13:10
Luckily I still have plenty of time to refine this list and also pick up the surely numerous items that I am missing.
Big 4
Lafuma 650 Pro Sleeping bag 1 lb 7 oz
Eureka Solitaire 2 lb 14 oz with 1.6 oz polycro groundsheet
Gossamer Gear Nightlight 4oz
Granite Gear Vapor Trail with pack cover 2lb 4.5 oz
6.8 pounds
Clothing
North Face Fleece 9.2 oz
AT Blaze safety bandanna 1.1 oz
Lowe Alpine hiking pants 10 oz -or- Mountain Hardwear kilt 6 oz
GoLite windshell 6 oz
Patagonia capilene base layer 7.5 oz
Arc' tights 9.5 oz
Arc' 1/4 zip tee 4.5 oz
Reebok compression base layer 3 oz
Under armour boxers 1 oz
Ear warmer 1 oz
Warm total - 21.6 oz 1.35 pounds
Cold total - 36.2 oz oz 2.26 pounds
Water
Evernew 1L bladder x2 2 oz
2 Liters of water 4 pounds 8 oz
4.75 Pounds
Cooking
Light my Fire spork .3 oz
lighter .5 oz
Caldera system with FireLight 500 3.5 oz
Alcohol fuel 4 oz
Food approx 8 lb
8.5 Pounds
Other
Foot Care kit .5 oz
Tweezers .2 oz
Water tabs 1 oz
MSR camp towel 1.6 oz
Black Diamond Ion lamp 1oz
trowel 1.6 oz
Nylon rope 1.5 oz
sun screen stick 1.5 oz
toothbrush .5 oz
sunglasses 1 oz
1.17 Pounds

Grand Total 22.5 pounds

Thanks so much for your help

Lilred
11-25-2007, 13:25
First thing I noticed wasn't there, camera, maps, trail handbook, journal and pen? toothpaste, camp soap. I'd add a bandana. I pack three. One for wiping my body, one for wiping out my cookpot, wiping off spoon, etc. and another in case the other two get too groady to use. ymmv. I also didn't see a first aid kit of any kind. Ask around about that spork. I hear they make a lousy spoon and a lousy fork. I'd drop the trowel, your heel or a good stick can dig a hole. I'd also drop the towel, Bandanas work fine. I also didn't see any rain gear. I'm not sure you need a nightlite and a headlamp.

Lxandr90
11-25-2007, 14:41
Wow, thanks for those reminders they completely slipped my mind, as for the camera I don't have one yet but I know I want one powered by AAs I think I'll probably end up with a canon powershot 7.6 oz with 2 lithium batteries.
Big 4
Lafuma 650 Pro Sleeping bag 1 lb 7 oz
Eureka Solitaire 2 lb 14 oz with 1.6 oz polycro groundsheet
Gossamer Gear Nightlight Sleeping pad 4oz
Granite Gear Vapor Trail with pack cover 2lb 4.5 oz
6.8 pounds
Clothing
North Face Fleece 9.2 oz
AT Blaze safety bandanna 1.1 oz
Lowe Alpine hiking pants 10 oz -or- Mountain Hardwear kilt 6 oz
GoLite windshell 6 oz
Patagonia capilene base layer 7.5 oz
Arc' tights 9.5 oz
Arc' 1/4 zip tee 4.5 oz
Reebok compression base layer 3 oz
Under armour boxers 1 oz
Ear warmer 1 oz
Warm total - 21.6 oz 1.35 pounds
Cold total - 36.2 oz oz 2.26 pounds
Water
Evernew 1L bladder x2 2 oz
2 Liters of water 4 pounds 8 oz
4.75 Pounds
Cooking
Light my Fire spork .3 oz
lighter .5 oz
Caldera system with FireLight 500 3.5 oz
Alcohol fuel 4 oz
Food approx 8 lb
8.5 Pounds
Other
Foot Care kit 1 oz
EMS Solo ultralight first aid kit 3.5 oz
Water tabs 1 oz
MSR camp towel 1.6 oz
Black Diamond Ion lamp 1oz
Nylon rope 1.5 oz
sun screen stick 1.5 oz
toothbrush+toothpaste 1.5 oz
sunglasses 1 oz
Canon Powershot 7.6 oz
Cell Phone 3.4 oz
Charger 1 oz
Vitamins
Camp suds
Chapstick
Pencil/Duct tape
Safety pins
Aleve
AT Data Book
2.6 Pounds

Grand Total 24.1 pounds

take-a-knee
11-25-2007, 14:45
Your pot is too small, you can't cook most stuff in a pint pot. That gossmer gear pad is nowhere nearly enough insulation or padding. I'd reccomend a ridgerest (full length)

Lxandr90
11-25-2007, 14:46
also, I'm currently using Vasque mantra low boots with columbia socks and some nylon liners

Lilred
11-25-2007, 16:16
I don't see any extra socks either. Three pair is minimum for me. One I'm wearing, one pair dry, the other pair drying. Always nice to have a dry pair of socks to put on at the end of the day. My dry pair I never wear but at night in camp. Luxury item.

Lxandr90
11-25-2007, 17:06
I plan on using the pot just for boiling water since I'm going solo most of the time, also I have a prolite 3 as a backup, I'm going to take them both out on a trip this winter and compare to see if the Prolite will be worth the extra weight.
@Lilred, Yep I usually carry 3 pairs, just forgot to put them on the list

Thanks for all the suggestions, I need all the help I can get.

Appalachian Tater
11-25-2007, 18:43
You need a rain jacket instead of a wind shell.

I doubt a 23 oz 650 fill sleeping bag will be sufficient for an early spring NOBO.

Also 2L water carrying capacity will be insufficient. I would think 3L a safer minimum and in a dry year like this past summer, that might not be enough in places. At least get a wine box liner as a back up. Or a coffee box liner from Starbucks, you can get one for free if you flirt for it. And it would make a nice pillow, too.

It would benefit you to read up on gear lists in the articles section and to look at others' gear lists as posted before. You're leaving out some things. That was how I managed to put together satisfactory gear from scratch. It's pretty amazing how similar the stuff is people carry, probably 80% of all gear carried is common to 99% of thru-hikers, one brand or another.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-25-2007, 19:33
If you are trying to keep your pack weight down check out Backpackinglight.com

Lxandr90
11-25-2007, 20:05
You need a rain jacket instead of a wind shell.

I doubt a 23 oz 650 fill sleeping bag will be sufficient for an early spring NOBO.

Good advice, I've been looking at the driDucks rainsuits over at backpackinglight but they've been perpetually out of stock for the last few months in my size

As for the sleeping bag, do you think that even with my long underwear on it will still be too cold?
I suppose if I had to I could always find someone to share that one man tent with me.

Appalachian Tater
11-25-2007, 20:13
Good advice, I've been looking at the driDucks rainsuits over at backpackinglight but they've been perpetually out of stock for the last few months in my size

As for the sleeping bag, do you think that even with my long underwear on it will still be too cold?
I suppose if I had to I could always find someone to share that one man tent with me.

Well, I left mid-March NOBO with a 15 degree Marmot Helium and a short ProLite 4 pad and was a little chilly in the attic of Thomas Knob shelter north of Damascus wearing my long underwear, socks, a fleece jacket and a hat. I normally sleep hot.

The best advice I was given in person was to get the 15 degree bag instead of a 30 degree bag. "If you're cold, you can't sleep, and if you can't sleep, you can't hike." That was from an ex-hippie who bummed around back in the 70s but hasn't hiked in thirty years.

Your sleeping bag is not where you want to skimp. You might get really nasty cold weather and it could become a safety issue.

If you want something more durable than the DriDucks, get a Marmot PreCip or similar or even a Red Ledge jacket. None of them breathe worth anything while you're actually hiking, anyway. The Red Ledge jackets are pretty cheap and would probably last a thru-hike.

Lxandr90
11-25-2007, 20:21
Ok, I guess I'll have to test it out this winter, luckily I live about 8 miles from Harpers Ferry so I have easy access to the trail, hopefully with the tent I'll be able to get comfortable, otherwise I guess I'll need to start shopping for a new bag.

Appalachian Tater
11-25-2007, 20:43
Ok, I guess I'll have to test it out this winter, luckily I live about 8 miles from Harpers Ferry so I have easy access to the trail, hopefully with the tent I'll be able to get comfortable, otherwise I guess I'll need to start shopping for a new bag.

Try it at home, not out somewhere camping where you'll freeze!