PDA

View Full Version : Rate the States

Rough
11-25-2007, 14:34
For Thru-Hikers or those who have hiked a portion of the AT in all 14 states.
How would you rate the states in terms of :

1) Technical Difficulty
2) Scenic Beauty
3) Trail Maintenance
4) Shelters
5) Nearby Towns

Cuffs
11-25-2007, 14:52
if you are a thru hiker didnt you hike in all 14 states not just a portion of the AT?

Lone Wolf
11-25-2007, 14:54
there is no technical hiking on the AT

Pacific Tortuga
11-25-2007, 14:56
there is no technical hiking on the AT

Is there any on the PCT?

Just a Hiker
11-25-2007, 15:04
Technical difficulty- There is no technical climbing on the AT
Scenic Beauty- New Hampshire
Trail Maintenance- They all do their best
Shelters- A lean-to is a lean-to, some are just better than others
Nearby Towns- Any town with food is a good town:)

Just Jim

Jim Adams
11-25-2007, 15:20
Technical difficulty- There is no technical climbing on the AT
Scenic Beauty- New Hampshire
Trail Maintenance- They all do their best
Nearby Towns- Any town with food is a good town:)

Just Jim

The perfect answers!

geek

Dakota Dan
11-25-2007, 15:23
For Thru-Hikers or those who have hiked a portion of the AT in all 14 states.
How would you rate the states in terms of :

1) Technical Difficulty......the closest I can think of would be fording the Kennebec. Basically, lean upstream.

2) Scenic Beauty..all of em in one form or another.

3) Trail Maintenance.. all do an excellent job.

4) Shelters .. suck

5) Nearby Towns .. I like Hot Springs, Damascus, Duncannon, Hanover, Gorham or any town with a cold brew.

emerald
11-25-2007, 15:44

Just Jim

Everyone knows a lean-to is a lean-to:rolleyes:, but not everyone knows lean-tos are shelters even though lean-tos are nothing more or less than shelters, functionally. While some shelters are better than lean-tos, there are lean-tos that are better than some shelters whether you choose to stay in them or not.;)

Lone Wolf
11-25-2007, 15:52
Everyone knows a lean-to is a lean-to:rolleyes:, but not not everyone knows lean-tos are shelters even though lean-tos are nothing more or less than shelters, functionally. While some shelters are better than lean-tos, there are lean-tos that are better than some shelters whether you choose to stay in them or not.;)

but they ALL suck equally.

A-Train
11-25-2007, 15:54
Is there any on the PCT?

Not really. The only technical hiking is in a heavy snow year in the Sierra when the trail is covered in snow and you're postholing up to your knees up to a pass. otherwise the trail is generally easy to follow, gradually climbing and pretty obvious

Just a Hiker
11-25-2007, 16:03
Everyone knows a lean-to is a lean-to:rolleyes:, but not not everyone knows lean-tos are shelters even though lean-tos are nothing more or less than shelters, functionally. While some shelters are better than lean-tos, there are lean-tos that are better than some shelters whether you choose to stay in them or not.;)

You just said the same thing I did, but with more wordy Bulls**t:rolleyes:

mudhead
11-25-2007, 18:28
Everyone knows a lean-to is a lean-to:rolleyes:, but not everyone knows lean-tos are shelters even though lean-tos are nothing more or less than shelters, functionally. While some shelters are better than lean-tos, there are lean-tos that are better than some shelters whether you choose to stay in them or not.;)

Did you do the NYTimes crossword today?

I will grant you that in Maine a leanto is a wooden structure, while a shelter is where you spent the night.

We are just different here...

Lone Wolf
11-25-2007, 20:49
the long trail has camps. they suck too

Tin Man
11-25-2007, 20:54
Shelters, leantos, camps, whatever - suck - I agree. People who congregate there can be pretty cool - and then again, some are...ignorant sheeple. :D

MOWGLI
11-25-2007, 20:55
1. NH was the most difficult state for me.
2. Maine - hands down.
3. Maine probably presents the biggest challenge. AMC & MATC do a great job.
4. Personally, I like the Nanatahala style shelters in GA & NC (Woods Hole and Standing Indian are two examples.) Simple and functional. A picnic table under an awning. Brilliant!

Tin Man
11-25-2007, 20:56
CT and NJ suck - no campfires allowed anywhere.

Bearpaw
11-25-2007, 21:04
1) Technical Difficulty - Not technical, but TOUGH hiking in southern Maine.
2) Scenic Beauty - Maine, just phenomenal.
3) Trail Maintenance - Maintaining clubs do an incredible job.
4) Shelters - Hey, I like a lot of the shelters out there, especially when rain is pouring down. Some are truly beautiful, like Overmountain (NC), Partnership (VA), and Plumorchard Gap (GA). And if want to avoid the mice, bugs, or snorers, you can still tent nearby, but enjoy the company of your buds at the shelters.
5) Nearby Towns - Hot Springs (NC) and Damascus (VA) and outstanding. Hanover and Gorham (NH) are fantastic also, especially the Barn in Gorham.

Tin Man
11-25-2007, 21:08
1. NH was the most difficult state for me.

I keep reading about how difficult NH is. I read that the North side of Moosilauke is challenging especially in snow and ice - did it in snow and ice, no problems. I read that hiking up South Kinsman was challenging - did it, no problems. I still have the Presidentials and Washington ahead, but given what I have experienced and have been told so far, I am not overly concerned about difficulty. Moosic Notch is usually listed as the most difficult AT mile - bring it on! :)

I am not saying I am any kind of macho athletic type, but I don't think the AT is all that difficult.

Appalachian Tater
11-25-2007, 21:11
1) Technical Difficulty--the first state, for an inexperienced thru
2) Scenic Beauty--the Whites, Maine, or the Smokies
3) Trail Maintenance--best is in the Shenandoah National Park
4) Shelters--Maine has some cool old shelters, love those baseball bat floors
5) Nearby Towns--Virginia

woodsy
11-25-2007, 22:02
Mogli :2. Maine - hands down.
3. Maine probably presents the biggest challenge. AMC & MATC do a great job.
It's no wonder why i never leave the state of Maine, except going to NH for a White Mtn experience occaisionally:)

emerald
11-26-2007, 19:54
Did you do the NYTimes crossword today?

No, sir, yesterday the only newspaper I saw was The Reading Eagle.

I will grant you that in Maine a leanto is a wooden structure, while a shelter is where you spent the night.

I once spent a night in shelter but not a lean-to, now gone, in The High Peaks region where you couldn't have paid Wolf enough to stay. The view and sunset was priceless and resulted in maybe the best Kodachrome from my A.T. hike.

Sometime I will get it scanned and send you a copy.

We are just different here...

Mainers are different and you should stay just as you are.

Minerva
11-26-2007, 20:13
1) Technical Difficulty: Mahoosucs in Maine
2) Scenic Beauty: best to not so best; New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, West Virginia.
3) Trail Maintenance: Natural Bridge Section in Virginia "Top Notch" (Black Horse Gap to the Tye River)
4) Shelters: Vermont, 22 in 100 miles
5) Nearby Towns: Pennsylvania, you walk right through 3 towns

MrsG

Cerridwen
11-26-2007, 20:28
1. I don't know if I'd call it technical, but northern nc I found to be the most difficult terrain wise-the ceaseless straight ups and downs on leafy terrain and the balds in bad weather
2. the whole entire trail is breath taking...but I would say NY's giant boulders that one walks and climbs across, Vermont's varied terrain and ponds/lakes, and NC's balds (we had a love hate relationship :)
3.the trail maintaince was pretty spectacular the whole way, except for in NY's bear mountain/harriman state partk-I have never spent so much time wondering around trying to find blazes, basically find one blaze stop and look hard for the next one. Also the balds in snow - most of the markers on rocks, could use more posts scattered along the way
4.Georgia had some really nice and new shelters, so did southern VA, and privies
5.Damascus VA, Hot Springs NC, and Dalton MA

hopefulhiker
11-26-2007, 21:18
Ditto what Appalachean tator said

bfitz
11-26-2007, 21:20
I think New Hampshire is a lot harder than it used to be.

Mags
11-26-2007, 23:04
1) Technical Difficulty--coming down Katahdin and ending my thru-hike

2) Scenic Beauty--the points between Springer and Katahdin

3) Trail Maintenance-- After hiking some places out west, I will never complain about maintenance on eastern trails again. :eek:

4) Shelters-- I'm from New England..you mean lean-tos..right? ;)

5) Nearby Towns-- All. They are part of the AT experience more so than other trails

wakapak
11-27-2007, 00:49
1) Technical Difficulty--coming down Katahdin and ending my thru-hike

2) Scenic Beauty--the points between Springer and Katahdin

3) Trail Maintenance-- After hiking some places out west, I will never complain about maintenance on eastern trails again. :eek:

4) Shelters-- I'm from New England..you mean lean-tos..right? ;)

5) Nearby Towns-- All. They are part of the AT experience more so than other trails

well said Mags!! :)

Route Step
11-27-2007, 11:12
1) Technical Difficulty: White Mnts of NH, then Tenn
2) Scenic Beauty: Maine, truely scenic and peaceful in many spots
3) Trail Maintenance: Too hard for me to call
4) Shelters: Georgia, worst was Tenn
5) Nearby Towns: No favorite state