PDA

View Full Version : north face

double j
11-25-2007, 21:41
well i got a north face extreme 80 from a freind ,,,,,,,,anyone ever use this brand ?????

FanaticFringer
11-26-2007, 00:41
well i got a north face extreme 80 from a freind ,,,,,,,,anyone ever use this brand ?????

Never heard of them....is it a Wal-Mart brand?:rolleyes:

Heater
11-26-2007, 00:52

I try not to. ;)

Bearpaw
11-26-2007, 09:37
10 years ago, North Face was a solid mountaineering company. Seven years ago, they were bought and sold four times, eventually being bought out by Vanity Fair Enterprises, mostly for the name recognition, and they sell the best known incredibly overpriced clothing on the outdoor market.

That said, if you got it from a friend cheap, no problem. It's probably a lot heavier than comparable jackets would be, but if you're happy with it, use it and be glad you didn't pay retail for it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-26-2007, 10:31
BearPaw pretty much said it - The North Face once made quality gear, but they are now more about fashion and profit than about function and quality. I really can't say if the quality is still there - it has been a long time since I've looked closely at any North Face product.

Chaco Taco
11-26-2007, 10:49
I have some North Face gear and am happy with it. I do agree that many people mearly wear NF simply for the name. But like I said, some stuff is good.

Johnny Thunder
11-26-2007, 10:56
I have some North Face gear and am happy with it. I do agree that many people mearly wear NF simply for the name. But like I said, some stuff is good.

Agreed...some of the things are just for the logo while there are options for high-quality gear if you know what to look for. I'm very happy with the 2 things I carry from TNF. But, just like other big name brands (Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, etc) you can't expect everything to be designed from the backpacking angle.

double j
11-26-2007, 16:22
ill post some pics. of it pretty nice

double j
11-28-2007, 16:03
i also have a grivel sleeping bag rated up -10 degrees seems pretty good.im just trying to gather my stuff for a small trip i havent hike any long trips on about 5 yrs........oh and the north face pack is extremly comy lots of back padding

double j
11-28-2007, 16:05
more pics.

Bearpaw
11-28-2007, 18:32
As long as it fits you well through the torso, and you got it at a reasonable price, you got a pretty good deal. Again, probably heavier than a lot of other options out there, but the real point is to simply get out there. Enjoy it.