Patagonia Capilene 2
Bottoms 5.5oz

Torso

Patagonia R1 Pullover 9.9oz
(for fleece warmth and compressability)

Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket 16oz
(morning and camp warmth)

Outdoor Research Celestial Jacket 10.2oz
(Goretex Paclite rain shell with side vent zips)

Outdoor Research Razor Wind Shell 4.1oz
(lightweight highly breathable windproof)

Legs

Mountain Hardwear Typhoon Pant 11oz
(Goretex Paclite rain pants)

Mountain Hardwear Convertible Pack Pant 16oz
(Highly durable, feature packed utility pant)

Misc

3 Pairs of Bridgedale Ventium Light Hiker 6oz? (total)
(anti-microbial, vented, body mapped)

Outdoor Research Sonic Balaclava 2.5oz
(windstopper, warm, mesh mouth vent)

Mountain Hardwear Foraker Gloves 5oz
(not sure if I should go softshell or windstopper)
Outdoor Research Cascadia Gaiters 6.7oz

Total Clothing Weight 6lbs 9oz

Big Four

Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15F 1lb 15oz

Thermarest Prolite 4 1lb 8oz

MSR Hubba Hubba 3lb 12oz

Osprey Atmos 50 3lb 2oz

Total Big Four Weight10lb 5oz

Misc Gear

Leki Poles

4 liter MSR Dromlite 5.1oz

MSR Hydration Kit 2oz?

Jetboil group cooking 19oz

Supersecret hanging filter

Digital Camera

Maps or E-bookreader with Trail Guide PDFs

Toilet Paper

Baby Wipes

Toothbrush/paste

Packtowel for face?

Firstaid (bandaids,ductape,moleskin,ibuprofen,vitamns?paink illers for emergency? triple ointment, gauze)

Stuff sacks

Waterproof Sleeping bag compression

Pack Cover

50' Parachute cord

Bearbag

Trowel?

Bandana

Ex-officio boxer

Let me know what you guys think about my gear list. I'm aiming for light, not really much of an ultralighters, I'd rather carry a few more lbs and be more comfortable. I'm still undecided with shoes/boots but I'm getting a pair of Vasque Blur GTX next week that I'm going to take out for a shakedown.

Appalachian Tater
11-26-2007, 00:18
More pounds makes you less comfortable, not more comfortable. You have to carry all that stuff on your back up & down mountains. Sometimes hand over hand climbing.
Pour a little rubbing alcohol in your baby butt wipes. Before you wipe your bottom with them, use them to clean your hands, face, crotch. Also, the secret to not getting sick on the trail is alcohol gel hand sanitizer in a 2 ounce bottle in a freezer ziplock with the TP and baby butt wipes.
If you carry maps, it's for safety. I wouldn't trust anything with a battery instead. It would be likely to fail when you most needed it. Maps are useless without a compass. Also make sure you know how to use the map and compass.
If you sweat a lot, a cellulose sponge works better than a bandana.
Ear plugs are handy.
A rain jacket works as a wind shirt. You don't need both. You also probably don't need a fleece jacket and another jacket unless you need both of them at the same time for warmth. A long-sleeve shirt, jacket, and rainjacket is pretty warm. If that's not enough you should probably be in your bag.
Consider not carrying zip-offs and rain pants.
Unless you already have the Prolite 4, go with the Prolite 3, it will keep you off the ground just as well. I used a Prolite 4 short but the 3 would have been fine and would trade with someone to save the weight. It is more comfortable if you don't overinflate it. Put some silicone stripes on the orange side so it doesn't slide around. They ought to make both sides out of the grey stuff so you don't have to choose between your bag sliding on your pad or your pad sliding on the floor.
No trowel, use heel. 2006 I saw someone with their trowel clipped to their belt in a little holster, no kidding.
Use a contractor garbage bag as a liner even if you use a pack cover, you want dry stuff.
Ear plugs. Essential in hostels, hotels, shelters. Helpful sometimes even in your tent.
Yes on the vitamins, take a multivitamin with minerals every day on your hike. Start now. Buy one of those big bottles at Target or someplace.
If you burn easily you need sun protection in the early spring, no leaves on the trees.
O.R. Hydrolite stuff sacks are pretty good at keeping stuff dry, even as a bearbag.
If you're worried about blisters, get some of those $1.00 "dress" nylon socks from Wal-Mart as liners.
You also need a guidebook or data book.
Someway to start a fire if your jetboil breaks would be handy, a mini Bic or waterproof matches.
$1.00 beach flip flops weigh almost nothing, make great shoes in camp and in those nasty showers you will encounter in some of the luxury hotels and hostels along the trail.

mountain squid
11-27-2007, 17:38
In addition to what Appalachian Tater has suggested:

hat
lighter
needle for draining the inevitable blisters
headlamp/lightsource
small Swiss Army knife with tweezers/scissors for tick pulling/nail clipping
pen/pencil
notebook
radio/mp3 player
whistle (I think Osprey has one on the sternum strap.)

What is Jetboil group cooking? Is that larger than the regular Jetboil? You only need something large enough for yourself.

Consider leaving the 'lid' of the Osprey BP behind.

I agree with A Tater you might have too many jackets.

Don't forget ID/atm/credit cards and important phone #s.

See you on the trail,
mt squid