PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike Shelter Help...

Passionphish
11-25-2007, 23:26
In an effort to go light, I have opted for an ultralight MLD Spinnaker Solo Tarp and a MLD bug bivy. I have a 15 degree sleeping bag, the REI Mojave, a therm-a-rest pro 3 small. I will use my backpack for the rest of my padding.

My questions are these:
-Should the pack go in the bivy with me or out side on a foot print?
-Should I have a foot print with this set up?
-Will this set up be too cold for my thru hike? (I am starting Mar 24 2008)
-would a full coverage bivy be a good option for me when I go through the whites?

Jim Adams
11-25-2007, 23:41
Sounds OK for the weather and temps and if it gets really gnarly you can always opt out for a shelter. Don't waste money on a special foot print...cut a piece of tyvek to size.

geek

Deadeye
11-26-2007, 01:17
yeah, some tyvek or even a silnylon ground sheet are all you need. I think I'd leave the pack outside the bivy so it doesn't get any more cramped than it already is.

What's the combined weight of the tarp & bivy? For 32 ounces, there are some nice solo shelters (TarpTent Rainbow for instance) out there.

Tinker
11-26-2007, 02:47
Snow is possible in March (and even April) in the higher mountains in the south. Dealing with snow under an open tarp without at least a water resistant bivy isn't something I'd like to deal with. I normally hammock in the summer and fall and use a Hilleberg Akto solo tent in the winter. I hiked the Trail in Georgia last spring using my Akto and only saw one night below freezing (the first one, on top of Springer). If I had the time to do a thru, I'd start with a light tent and switch to a hammock when it got warmer.
If I started mid-April, I might consider using a tarp, but would probably use something like my 6oz. MLD bivy as well. It eliminates the need for a groundsheet and keeps rain spray off my bag. I have used it a couple of times when camping in the Whites in the fall near treeline, where a hammock might be hard to set up.

take-a-knee
11-26-2007, 11:07
SGT Rock is starting his thru next FEB with a hammock, he has a go-to-ground game plan, I hope he doesn't have to use it much.

Grampie
11-26-2007, 11:17
In an effort to go light, I have opted for an ultralight MLD Spinnaker Solo Tarp and a MLD bug bivy. I have a 15 degree sleeping bag, the REI Mojave, a therm-a-rest pro 3 small. I will use my backpack for the rest of my padding.

My questions are these:
-Should the pack go in the bivy with me or out side on a foot print?
-Should I have a foot print with this set up?
-Will this set up be too cold for my thru hike? (I am starting Mar 24 2008)
-would a full coverage bivy be a good option for me when I go through the whites?

You will do just fine with what you are bringing. Make a Tyvac ground cloth.
Leave your pack outside with the pack cover on it. I had a small tent and had to do that. Never had a problem with anything getting into it at night.
The smaller your sleeping inclosure is the warmer you will be. Don't forget to take a pee bottle so you don't have to get out during the night.
Try to keep track of what the wether will be. If it looks like some bad stuff is comming in, try to get into a shelter. This worked well for me and I only had to tent in the rain a few times.

EWS
11-26-2007, 11:22
My questions are these:
-Should the pack go in the bivy with me or out side on a foot print? In

-Should I have a foot print with this set up? Make one

-Will this set up be too cold for my thru hike? (I am starting Mar 24 2008) Probably not if you insulate the ground with dead stuff.

-would a full coverage bivy be a good option for me when I go through the whites? Yes

MOWGLI
11-26-2007, 11:23
Snow is possible in March (and even April) in the higher mountains in the south.

Add May to that list.

Passionphish
11-26-2007, 17:25
"Probably not if you insulate the ground with dead stuff."
-EWS

Good advice! Don't know why I didn't think of that!

The local construction sites are all passed the insulation phase so I may just buy a tyvek sheet from Six Moon Designs or something like that.

Deadeye-
The combined weight of my tarp and bivy are 8 oz even. Nine if you include the line locks I use on the tarp.

Thanks for all the opinions! I am struggling to loose gear weight. It seems to be somewhat emotional sometimes. I worry that I have bitten off too much or something...

Jim Adams
11-26-2007, 17:33
" I worry that I have bitten off too much or something...

Hey, I just came from the chinese restuarant...I got your fortune!

"I would rather attempt somrthing great and fail than attempt to do nothing and succeed"

You'll be fine...good luck and have fun!:sun

geek