PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a bloodhound. Any advice? Good/bad?

Chris_Asheville
11-26-2007, 15:59
My gf really wants a bloodhound puppy for Christmas. We are experienced dog owners who make them our first priority. However, I was wondering if anyone had any advice or personal experiences with Bloodhounds that they could share. We currently have a wonderful lab and feel he could use a buddy.

Thanks! I look forward to your responses.

Chris:sun

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2007, 16:04
You should visit Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel in Hampton Tennessee who can tell you a thousand stories about bloodhounds. He's got a great one.

Jim Adams
11-26-2007, 17:23
Buy a mop and lots of paper towels!

saliva!

geek

Chris_Asheville
11-26-2007, 20:10
You should visit Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel in Hampton Tennessee who can tell you a thousand stories about bloodhounds. He's got a great one.

Thanks, Jack. I called Bob, he gave me some good information. I appreciate it!!!

Anyone else?

Skidsteer
11-26-2007, 20:18
We have a Plotthound and he is a very bright animal and always good for a laugh.

Particularly when someone asks, "Have you taken him hiking with you?"

SGT Rock
11-26-2007, 20:21
I've never owned one myself, but have known a few. I would love to have myself one - the perfect hillbilly pet.

I've had mutts only for years now and loved them

rlharris
11-26-2007, 22:32
Visit http://www.bloodhounds.org/, the website for The American Bloodhound Club, the parent club for bloodhounds.

I have two acquaintances that have shown them competitively in AKC obedience trials. Fun dogs. :cool:

You can also do search and rescue with them -- help find hikers that get lost because they went bushwacking without a compass and map. :banana

The Solemates
11-27-2007, 19:56
we have a black and tan. we love him...best dog we've both ever had (and we've owned 5 collectively) growing up

Mountain Maiden
11-28-2007, 19:46
we have a black and tan. we love him...best dog we've both ever had (and we've owned 5 collectively) growing up

Hounds, in general, are fanstastic pets. Black and Tans, specifically, are the BEST!! I have had two and it would definitely be my choice again and again!

Due to their wonderful loyalty and sense of family, they are terrific with children, too. However, they reaalllyyy want to be where the family is, doing what the family is doing. So be forewarned... When you take a nap---the dog will want to be in that room--taking a nap, too. If you go for a ride---make room for pooch. He will not be happy if left behind. If you go hiking----well, you get the picture.

Whatever you choose, you are wise to do a little research on their behaviours and habit...helps you make a decision that is best for your lifestyle.

Chris--when you make the choice---pls provide PICS!

:sun

PS I can put you in touch with a great B&T breeder...and there are special Black and Tan Rescue groups, too.

Trail Trooper
11-28-2007, 20:10
I think the black and tan is a smarter breed. I saw a blue tic hound in action and was not impressed

stumpy
11-28-2007, 20:33
by "in action" do you mean treeing a coon?

rlharris
11-28-2007, 22:47
I think the black and tan is a smarter breed. I saw a blue tic hound in action and was not impressed

You should see Paula McCollum's Bluetick Coonhound Smokin Bullet Jebediah UDX. at the AKC's National Obedience Invitational last December. It was seeded 18th (out of 32) going into Sunday's competition and made it to the semi-finals. Wound up second or third runner-up (third or fourth place). Ninety-seven dogs started on Saturday.

Gaiter
11-29-2007, 00:50
what are your thoughts on slober and lots of it?

also don't forget to check out your local animal shelter!

Chris_Asheville
11-29-2007, 16:39
I've checked out the local shelters, but I really want a puppy. You figure, these pups have already been born as well and need good homes.. I totally respect adopting dogs, it's wonderful and very important. However, for us, this pup is the best choice. I'm picking her up tonight after work and will post some pics on here, just in case anyone is interested! Thanks for everyone's help! I'm really excited..

RockyBob
11-29-2007, 17:28
Always wanted a bloodhound. At present I have my 3rd Bassett Hound. Gotta love them hound dogs. w0000000000000000raaaaaah000000000000

Rouen
11-29-2007, 20:52
[quote=Chris_Asheville;459146]I've checked out the local shelters, but I really want a puppy. You figure, these pups have already been born as well and need good homes.. quote]

a good breeder will have a waiting list a mile long before the puppies are even born, I've also never known anyone who was reputable and sold pups as christmas presents.

cannonball
11-29-2007, 20:55
Just get a basset hound. Same ears only shorter legs.

Chris_Asheville
11-30-2007, 11:27
I just posed two pics of the new girl, Daisy Mae. I hope you enjoy.

Critterman
12-03-2007, 14:10
We currently have a wonderful lab and feel he could use a buddy.

Before I get hammered, I like hounds and have owned them but Labs and hounds are different. Hounds have more odor, generally drool more and have a different general personality. You will be getting a whole different kind of dog than what you are used to.

Lugnut
12-03-2007, 18:08
I would think that the trouble with having a bloodhound is that people will always want you to find stuff they've lost. :eek:

Uncle Silly
12-03-2007, 23:54
Before I get hammered, I like hounds and have owned them but Labs and hounds are different. Hounds have more odor, generally drool more and have a different general personality. You will be getting a whole different kind of dog than what you are used to.

What about after you get hammered? Do you still like hounds then?

I always find that when I'm really hammered I don't mind the licking so much... :D

warraghiyagey
12-03-2007, 23:57
What about after you get hammered? Do you still like hounds then?

I always find that when I'm really hammered I don't mind the licking so much... :D

Probably because your taste buds are less effective then.

:D

Uncle Silly
12-04-2007, 00:06
Probably because your taste buds are less effective then.

Good one! Took me a second. :D :D :D

Gaiter
12-04-2007, 02:12
I just posed two pics of the new girl, Daisy Mae. I hope you enjoy.

tooo cute

warraghiyagey
12-04-2007, 02:29
Good one! Took me a second. :D :D :D

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night. . . sadly.