PDA

View Full Version : Rain pants or not

tritonl
11-27-2007, 12:14
Should I bother with rain pant or not, I got a light weight set of hiking pants that am taking, is that enough?

Lone Wolf
11-27-2007, 12:17
i would get frogg togg bottoms

tritonl
11-27-2007, 12:33
Do they sell just the bottoms, I always see them in sets. I got a rain jacket already.

Just a Hiker
11-27-2007, 12:36
Not.....

EWS
11-27-2007, 12:36
I like Go Lite Reed pants, they're tougher than they look for non-bushwhacking walks.

tritonl
11-27-2007, 12:39
Am not spending that much on pants I will wear only a few times

mudhead
11-27-2007, 12:40
Do they sell just the bottoms, I always see them in sets. I got a rain jacket already.

I want a jacket. The pants are huge. What size you need?

EWS
11-27-2007, 12:42
Tyvek/tarp/groundsheet skirt if you don't need anything often or fancy.

tritonl
11-27-2007, 12:45
The frogg togg sizes are for some weird shaped people, I would need maybe m pants at most for my waist and about xl for the inseam.

mudhead
11-27-2007, 12:49
The ones I tried on at Dick's, L, were way too long. Unless I yarded them up like a dorkwad. They have so many styles.

lazerzade
11-27-2007, 12:55
I have flip-flopped with this idea myself at times, though I have to say I will be packing a pair when I start my through hike in ‘08. Rain pants are lightweight very versatile. Great for keeping out the wind on those really cold days and sometimes they are the only thing to keep your bottom layers dry.

dessertrat
11-27-2007, 12:56
Not. Some light nylon bottoms that will dry quick should be fine.

weary
11-27-2007, 13:04
It really depends on your schedule. I find rain pants useful through April in the south and after mid September in Maine. Most other times I hike in shorts and wet legs have never been a problem.

Even a rain jacket is pretty useless during most summers, when getting wet is unavoidable. You're wet from sweat or rain, or both.

sparky2000
11-27-2007, 13:06
Insulated, lite, breathable, rain pants with undies or whatever underneath is good for Feb., March, April. You'll need them often. WallMart has some cheap ones.

tritonl
11-27-2007, 13:08
I'll be starting late march and finishing before sept. I guess I can deal staying wet through april in the south.

Johnny Appleseed
11-27-2007, 13:10
I use my rain pants as winter pants as well. The wind will be nice to avoid. And the snow melts and also the snow wont stick to rain pants. 1 layer under them and your good for 10 degree weather I found out in central missouri last winter during a big winter storm for 2 weeks. A hike skirt or rain pants-those are my options.

Deadeye
11-27-2007, 13:10
Insulated, lite, breathable, rain pants with undies or whatever underneath is good for Feb., March, April. You'll need them often. WallMart has some cheap ones.

Underwear, Man, Underwear! Real hikers don't wear undies! (but Sponge Bob boxers are cool):cool:

Johnny Appleseed
11-27-2007, 13:11
also the mosquitos dont bite thru rain gear-this is good for night time campfires.

tritonl
11-27-2007, 13:15
frogg togg is having a great sale on some items, whats the difference between the all sport and pro sport suit?

Spirit Walker
11-27-2007, 13:34
I wore rain pants for the early months, when I was dealing with cold, snow and sleet. Nylon pants aren't all that warm for those kind of conditions. They were enough for the western trails, where the rain is sporadic, but the eastern all day drizzles can get really cold. The rain pants are hot, so I got rid of them when it warmed up. By mid-May, I hiked in shorts, though I kept a pair of long pants for evenings to keep the bugs from biting.

WalkingStick75
11-27-2007, 14:30
If I'm walking (warm weather) I'm warm and don't carry rain pants if I really need something I carry wind pants. Nylon Shorts & Tee shirt (no undies!) Rain pants are just too heavy unless it is late fall/early spring.

take-a-knee
11-27-2007, 14:42
I've never tried Frog Togs, they look like a sack. I have a pair of Precip pants that are the only pants I've found that are comfortable enough to walk in. If it is warm enough for hiking in a tee shirt and shorts I don't take rain gear, just a poncho.

solace
11-27-2007, 14:48
I hike in long pants in March/ April anyways... SO I dont bring rain bottoms, The top for sure, but the times Ive been caught in the rain, well, I just got wet.. it was fine, I had my bottom thermals for the night time. Most hikers have shorts or a Skort.

Thoughtful Owl
11-27-2007, 15:20

Last time I looked the products WalMart sells are not breathable. Lightweight rain pants can also be worn while doing laundry, so you can get all your cloths washed.

Thoughtful Owl
11-27-2007, 15:26
Underwear, Man, Underwear! Real hikers don't wear undies! (but Sponge Bob boxers are cool):cool:

Yeah, undies are what little boys wear. Real men wear boxers (although I don't know about Sponge Bob) or go camando.

faarside
11-27-2007, 16:24
Not. Some light nylon bottoms that will dry quick should be fine.

Agreed... I also wear the light nylon bottoms the majority of the time. However, I DO sometimes drag along a pair of rain pants in cooler weather (just in case of wind-driven rain).

tritonl
11-27-2007, 18:32
I dont mind getting wet all that much, spent 8 years being wet in the infantry, but my fiance gets a bit cold at times. Ended up getting a pair from frogg toggs, they had a great special 14$, can't go wrong there and you get a free hat.

Dirty Harry
11-28-2007, 03:15
Ditch the rain pants.

JAK
11-28-2007, 08:13
I think cheap light breathable nylon wind pants are enough.
Hard to find these days though.

Roots
11-28-2007, 17:05
I think you were reading my mind when you posted this. A couple days ago when it was pouring rain, I decided to do a little test. I thought I would put on my convertible pants with compression shorts underneath, thermal bottoms (cold rain), and my GTX gaiters I've had for years (under my pants), and go play in the the rain and mud. It had been raining for 2 days and it was miserable looking outside-PERFECT! I tromped through puddles, mud, and anything else I thought would test it out really good. For about 3 miles I played. The end result was wet, but not my lower legs and feet...dry, dry, dry. Now not everyone will agree, but it worked pretty good. I know doing it for 3 miles is nothing like doing it for 10, but I think I'll be wet, not miserable. The convertibles dried in no time. Last time I tried the rainpants, I was soaked from sweat to the point of wringing out my underwear...eewww!! I guess I'll see in April how well this works.