PDA

View Full Version : Are tents really mouseproof?

manzana
12-07-2003, 09:27
One of the best reasons to stay in a tent versus a shelter is to avoid the mice. I think. I wonder if that is really true? Mice chew through backpacks all the time if they smell food or just to get nesting material. If they smelled you cooking in your tent, seems like it would be simple for them to gnaw their way in once you hit the sack. (I am trying to make my own tent and am debating whether to sew a floor into it!).

Any insights :welcome

manzana

Peaks
12-07-2003, 10:04
Tents are about a mouseproof as your pack. And we all know that mice get into packs.

But, like real estate, it's location, location, location. Mice are most apt to be around a shelter where food has been. Less likely to be in places where a tent gets set up on occassion.

Having said that, a pack attracts mice because it has the lingering scent of food. So, another precaution is to never eat in your tent, and don't bring food into your tent.

Lone Wolf
12-07-2003, 10:08
I've slept hundreds of nights in a tent with my foodbag in it and never had a mouse, bear, or raccoon try to get in.

Kerosene
12-07-2003, 10:59
Then again, maybe the animals are trying to tell you something, LW! ;)

Skyline
12-07-2003, 11:56
If keeping out critters is high on your agenda, I'd definitely vote for sewing a floor into it. Not just mice (which could chew through the tent, tho the odds are against that if you keep food smells away and are selective about tentsites) but mostly because of the bugs.

Once it warms up, a buggy night can be miserable.

cabalot
12-07-2003, 16:10
i remember reading a post where a guy said before retiring he would unzip all the pockets on his pack so the mice could get in and look for what ever they smell, that way they dont chew threw the pack. i did have a raccoon scratch the outside of my tent while at swartwood state park in NJ. he must have smelt tooth paste because i had no food.

mdionne
12-07-2003, 16:29
my friend had a mouse chew through his tent and into his food bag in Maine. his dog was sleeping with me in the shelter to keep the mice away from me.

Moon Monster
12-07-2003, 18:12
I've had a mouse get into my car when it was at a trailhead parking area. The thing tore up some TP apparently for nesting material. They are very enterprising. I beleive it got in through the firewall where the pedals go throogh, but I would appreciate any other theories from you guys.

On the AT, I've had a mouse go through my pack when it was hanging in a VA shelter. I left it open and I had no holes in the pack, but several other items, including my rain jacket, were shredded-again, apparently for nesting material.

Former Easy
12-16-2003, 21:25
A good tent like a Sierra Designs CD is a good choice to keep the rodents out. Its fairly (acceptable) light has a floor, enough room to put your pack in besides you and is very dry. If you plan on staying in your tent more than shelters this is a good choice since its very comfortable and durable. If your staying in shelters more than your tent, this may be a bad choice since there are lighter shelters out there if your just going to use it once every 10 days or so but you will probably be giving up comfort and durability. The CD is a tried and true thru-hiker tent over the years.

cabalot
12-16-2003, 22:09
A good tent like a Sierra Designs CD is a good choice to keep the rodents out. Its fairly (acceptable) light has a floor, enough room to put your pack in besides you and is very dry. If you plan on staying in your tent more than shelters this is a good choice since its very comfortable and durable. If your staying in shelters more than your tent, this may be a bad choice since there are lighter shelters out there if your just going to use it once every 10 days or so but you will probably be giving up comfort and durability. The CD is a tried and true thru-hiker tent over the years.

is there a particular CD tent you were refering to? i am considering the omega cd 2002 sinse it is a 3-4 season convertible 2 man w/vest. i will be using it mostly NY and south but plan someday to go all the way to maine. mabe i would be better off getting a 3 season and buying a 4 later when i need one. i camped in michigan winters in a 3 season with no problem.

Former Easy
12-16-2003, 22:51
is there a particular CD tent you were refering to? i am considering the omega cd 2002 sinse it is a 3-4 season convertible 2 man w/vest. i will be using it mostly NY and south but plan someday to go all the way to maine. mabe i would be better off getting a 3 season and buying a 4 later when i need one. i camped in michigan winters in a 3 season with no problem.

I should have mentioned I was refering to the clip flashlight there is the two man which is actaully only for 2 people in the country its made, but for folks here in the US its a one person plus pack tent, and they have the 3 man which is good for 2 hikers. I think this tent has seen more AT miles than any other, but times are changing with hikers going lighter and lighter. If you've ever been to trail days you'll see more of these pitched than any other, atleast that was the case in 2002.

Former Easy
12-17-2003, 01:04
I forgot to mention another company is making an exact replica of this tent, I don't remember at the moment who it is, but I think there weight was lower, it might be something to check into. For me though the gear I bought in 2002 will be the gear I use till it wears out and needs replacing, I'm not to nit picky about a few pounds, I carry around 35 pounds give or take a few and thats fine with me.