PDA

View Full Version : BMT Nov. 10-16 2007

envirodiver
11-27-2007, 17:07
My overall impressions are that the trail is very well maintained and marked. I was on the trail from Nov. 10 till Nov. 16. I was hiking solo. I hiked to the Indian Rock Shelter and then backtracked to the Church on Highway 115 and left the trail at that point. I had planned to stay longer, but the drought has had a major impact on the water situation in the Mountains and high ridges. I did not find any of the high springs with running water, all were dry except for a slight amount of water at Garland Gap. Having said that, there were several that I didn’t find the side trail for. There was about 2-3 inches of downed leaves on the ground and un-marked, little used side trails were impossible to see. My primary planning resources were the trailguide and maps provided by Sgt. Rock, the BMTA databook and Trails Illustrated Map #781. The short days (daylight about 6:30 AM dark around 5:30 PM), heavy pack, lot of water (at times 5 l), extra spare tire around my middle all contributed to shorter hiking distances of about 8-11 miles/day. A random thought is: if I spent as much effort to lose 5 lbs. of weight around my middle, as I do trying to reduce my gear weight by 5 oz. I would be a lot better off. I’ve posted several pics in the Gallery under the Benton McKaye Trail.

Day 1- 11/10/07:
After driving to my brother’s home in Elijay, GA and getting a ride to the trailhead (very late start), I began at the Springer Mountain Parking Lot on FS42. Hiked to the campsites noted at Long Creek. I went about .3 mi past the campsites that were noted in the trail data books. I camped just short of the spring that feeds Long Creek. The reasoning for passing the noted campsite was that there appeared to be some recent bear activity at the campsite in the form of scratching and clawing some deadwood on trees. The claw marks were pretty high. Temps. In the 60’s and low 40’s at night.

Day 2-11/11/07:
Aaahhh this day was my comedy of errors day. I place a rock or stick in a small stuff sack and throw it over a branch to hang my food. Somehow and I have yet to figure out how, the sack got stuck in the crotch of a tree branch (when I threw it there) the night before, so I spent about 30-45 min. throwing rocks and sticks at it so I could get my sack and cord back. I’m glad no-one walked by while I was doing this, so I didn’t have to explain. I finally retrieved my sack and cord, thanked the tree profusely for returning it to me and got going. I arrived at Bryson Gap (which is well marked with a wooden sign marking the gap and pointing to the spring. The spring was bone dry. As I headed North out of Bryson Gap my next error occurred: I was strolling and digging the beautiful weather and not paying enough attention. There is a brand spanking new blaze on a tree as you leave the gap on an old logging road, easy huh? About 50-75 feet down the trail the BMT turns up and away from the logging road. There was some survey tape marking the trail (but someone has been surveying that area and it’s not sure what is trail markings and what is survey markings) and an old blaze on the tree. In my blissful state I walked right on by it, on that fine old logging road and headed down the mountain. After a bit I started wondering why I had not seen any of those excellent and frequent blazes that I had noticed to that point? So I walked on further figuring that there was one just around the corner…there wasn’t. Had there been a gas station I would have stopped and asked directions. So I finally did the next best thing and broke out my map and compass and realized (much too late I might add) the error of my ways. Sucked it up and headed back up the mountain that I had just descended, that really added insult to injury. When I reached Bryson Gap again it was getting late in the afternoon and I made the decision to make a dry camp and stay there. Yup, I settled in with a sore butt from kicking myself in it and reveled in my whopping 4.3 miles of progress along the trail that day.

Day 3 11/12/07:
Broke camp a bit earlier this day. Had about ½ l of water, but knew there would be plenty at the Toccoa River which was less than 3 miles down the trail. Very nice suspension bridge across the river, sturdy with just a bit of sway to it (see pic in BMT gallery). Had lunch at the Dixie market on Highway 60. The man that is owner of the market is somewhat of a curmudgeon, but the ladies were nice enough to more than make up for it and the cheeseburger was pretty good. Limited re-supply at this stop, but some things that you can use if not too picky. They filled my water bottles and I left there with about 4 l, knowing that there may not be much for a while. Pitched a dry camp on top of Licklog Mountain. Nice spot right at the metal fence pole that marks the summit. Someone had decided to do a #2 right next to the post. It was definitely human waste, unless bears have started using TP, what’s up w/ some folks? The climb up Wallalah Mtn. was long and tough, the climb up Licklog was short and steeper. The colors in the forest were stunning, bright yellows and reds. I heard a large animal out walking around my camp during the night. With all of the leaves on the ground it’s very difficult to move quietly. The next day I saw a day hiker that had seen a bear on top of Licklog, so that may have been what I heard. Did not find the sidetrail mentioned in the trailguides and on the map.

Day 4 11/12/07:
After looking at the maps I saw a church on Skeenah Rd. (Rt. 60) to the left of where the trail crosses the road. Friendship Baptist Church was about .4 mi from the trail. I filled up with water from an outside faucet. Put a few dollar donation and note of thanks in a ziplock baggie and slid it under the door. Payne Gap @ mi. 25.6 is well marked with a wooden sign that also points to the spring, which was bone dry. The climb up Tipton Mtn. was pretty steep and then Brawley mountain. I made a dry camp at the fire tower on Brawley Mtn. Intermittent light rain overnight. Found that my single wall Go-Lite Hut 1 shelter was a condensation trap when the door is zipped shut and cold rain falls on the outside.

Day 5 11/13/07:
Garland Gap @ mi. 33.0 is the only spring that I found water in. The spring did not have much, but enough to capture some. I figure that if there was water in it now, during regular times it is very dependable. Stopped at Tococca Wilderness Market just across the Shallowford Bridge and had a BBQ sandwich and filled water bottles. Very limited food re-supply here, I wouldn’t count re-supplying here. This section of the trail has a significant amount of road walking. After leaving the market joined Stanley Creek Rd. Although it was road walking, the views were excellent. Really pretty stretch of road. The downside is that developers are sticking houses into every little place along the road that they can scratch out, and then sticking a NO TRESSPASSING sign up. Kind of sad. Camped on Fall Branch just up from the Fall Branch Falls (which barely had flow over it). This was a very nice campsite with Fall Branch running alongside. A thunderstorm started as I was finishing dinner and lasted most of the night. I found later that tornado warnings were posted for the area I was in (glad I wasn’t aware of that). I was glad to be down near a stream instead of on a mountain top, similar to my campsites of the previous few nights.

Day 6 11/14/07:
After the storm came through a cold front was along with it and the temperature started dropping. On top of Rich Mtn. light amount of sleet. Found my food and supplies cache at Hwy 115 in place and not tampered with. Very cool covered bridge across Cherry Log Creek (see pic in BMT gallery). The boardwalk at Cherry Lake Dam is a really nice piece of work (pic in BMT gallery). I was curious about who built it, because it runs right next to a cabin and has several BMT white diamonds on it. Spent the night in the Indian Rock Shelter (pic in BMT gallery). Indian Rock Shelter is next to a running stream. This is a very nice clean well maintained shelter. It does not appear to be used much and mice were not evidenced. Temps dropped into the 20s.

Day 7 11/15/07:

Backtracked to Hwy. 115 for pick-up.

generoll
11-27-2007, 18:13
good report my friend.

Hikerhead
11-27-2007, 18:44
Excellent report. A gal that was hiking with us made the same mistake as you by going down that dirt rd at Bryson Gap. We waited forever at rt 60 for her to show up. Sounds mightly dry out there.

Hammock Hanger
11-27-2007, 21:38
I was hoping water would no longer be such a big issue, but then it really hasn't rained. I'll be out there the first part of Dec. Up in the Smokies.

Hikerhead: Would that be ms Juliet!!!

SGT Rock
11-27-2007, 21:43
Good report. Hopefully the water gets up some in the next 2 months for that area.

FWIW Hammock Hanger both sides of the Smokies have recived above average rainfall for the month of November.

Hikerhead
11-27-2007, 23:33
I was hoping water would no longer be such a big issue, but then it really hasn't rained. I'll be out there the first part of Dec. Up in the Smokies.

Hikerhead: Would that be ms Juliet!!!

I'm not naming names.

Hikerhead
11-27-2007, 23:40
Hammy, you're going to freeze your you know what off on Mt Sterling. Hatman said someone finished up at Deals Gap this week and their first night on Mt Sterling it got down to 14. You better borrow my Clark for this hike.

Hammock Hanger
11-28-2007, 10:20
If I turn into a popsicle I hope Stumpy will help me get moving the next morning..... I really do not like cold, so why am I doing this????

Cuffs
11-28-2007, 10:55
You probably wont be the only ones up there! GeneRoll and I are in the planning process for Smokemont to Big Creek/Dav. Gap for mid-December! Bundle up and stay warm!

envirodiver
11-28-2007, 11:36
BTW Sgt Rock your trail info was very accurate. Only a few things that may be of interest to add or not. May wish to add the following:
1. Bryson Gap, Payne Gap and Ledford Gap are all signed with wooden signs that denote location and direct to the spring(Bryson and Payne). This may be a help for those that don't keep up that well with location and this nails that down.
2. One thing that was a bit confusing to me. At mile 40.9 the guide says that you intersect with the Stanley Gap Trail. This is a 3-way intersection and there is a wooden sign that indicates that you are intersecting the Rich Mountain Trail and that it goes both right and left and that the BMT goes right. Further on there is another sign that indicates the Rich Mountain Trail and goes to the right (which I assume is the mile 43.0 location) and that the BMT goes left.
3. It may also be worth noting that Indian Rock Shelter is clearly visible from the trail. I was hiking the last mile or so in the dark heading there and was just a bit concerned that it may be far enough from the trail that my LED headlamp wouldn't light up that distance. In reality you can't possibly miss it.
4. Also, at about mile 48 while on a gravel road prior to Hwy 115 at a sharp hairpin turn in the road, there was a big bad*@! dog that really had no interest in allowing me to walk past his house along that road. Fortunately it was a hairpin turn and I was able to bushwack through the Laurel to the road a bit further down and allow him to not eat me. Probably not appropriate to add to the trail guide, but I sho do remember it.

Hikerhead
11-28-2007, 14:12
I remember this dog as well. I had the poles ready for him.

ricky
11-30-2007, 22:01
i was interested in seeing your photos from the trip report but when i clicked on the gallery link, it said that there were no photos. I'm fairly new; is there a trick to photo viewing ?

Ewker
11-30-2007, 22:20
i was interested in seeing your photos from the trip report but when i clicked on the gallery link, it said that there were no photos. I'm fairly new; is there a trick to photo viewing ?

I just clicked on his gallery and saw the pics from his trip..try this link

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20198&catid=member&imageuser=14116

Chaco Taco
11-30-2007, 22:28
Excellent report. Hoping to be up there in a few weeks.. Great pics also.

envirodiver
12-01-2007, 11:09
Hope the water situation is better for you. It appears that they have had some rain in that area since my trip.

SGT Rock
12-01-2007, 14:28
We are adding some narrative to the guide for such events - although the dog may not end up in there LOL. I may pack a pellet gun for him ;)

I hope to have something out in print before I leave in January - but if not, maybe sometime soon thereafter. Wish us luck.

envirodiver
12-03-2007, 15:25
Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help. Thanks for all of your help in my planning process