PDA

View Full Version : "Trek"

Kirby
11-27-2007, 17:37
I watched the movie Trek the other day, and I was curious what other people thought. I imagine this has been debated before, and if you all would like to refer me to a thread, go for it.

I found it to be interesting, besides the fact they forgot to mention anything about the trail in Vermont, and did next to nothing for Maine, which dissapoint me.

Curious to hear other views,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-27-2007, 17:39
it's one of the better AT vids. the worst has to be 5 million steps

Lilred
11-27-2007, 18:04
I liked Trek, thought it was really done well. Check out Walking with Freedom if you haven't already. Saw it at Trail Days in 2005 to a packed house. It received a very resounding standing ovation. The producer really gets across the emotion involved in a thru hike. I think it is one of the better AT films out there. I especially like the scene where he contrasts the two bears. The music is really good too.

commercial over....

Tabasco
11-27-2007, 18:25
Trek is my fave, Walking with Freedom is my LEAST fave.

Interesting note though, you can see Lion King in the TREK film, in one scene he's on top of (I believe) Mt Washington.

hurryinghoosier
11-27-2007, 18:28
Where can I get a copy (to view not buy) of Trek and Walking with Freedom? Is it in the library or commercial movie rental stores?

Kirby
11-27-2007, 18:42
Where can I get a copy (to view not buy) of Trek and Walking with Freedom? Is it in the library or commercial movie rental stores?

If you want, I can loan you my copy of Trek as long as you promise to return it when you are done. A lot of movie stores do not carry AT movies, at least not in my home town. I purchased my copy at my local EMS.

Drop me a PM if you are interested,
Kirby

hurryinghoosier
11-27-2007, 18:55
Let me check my local library first.

Lilred
11-27-2007, 19:23
I think you can get them at Amazon.com Rei might carry Trek. They have in the past.

Lilred
11-27-2007, 19:23
oops just noticed your not looking to buy, sorry bout that

Smile
11-27-2007, 20:35
I like Lion King's DVD the best, well done, it keeps moving, is interesting and has the feeling of actually 'heading' somewhere with the footage. :)

Sly
11-27-2007, 20:39
I didn't like TREK that much. I'd have to watch it again to tell you why, but I'm not about to.

Kirby
11-27-2007, 20:58
I have been meaning to watch Walking With Freedom, I will eventually buy it. Does Walking With Freedom show you more of the trail itself than Trek? It would be nice to see more of the actual trail, and less about the people, or perhaps a movie that strikes a balance.

Kirby

Bearpaw
11-27-2007, 21:00
I've only watched 4 documentaries about the AT: Lynne Whelden's 5 Million Steps, Trailside's "Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail", Appalachian Impressions, and Trek.

Trek is by far my favorite, probably because as a thru-hiker, I really identify with it. I think it is the best look at what a thru-hike is really like for the majority of NOBO's. Pretty earthy, not too sanitized.

5 Million Steps and Appalachian Impressions are much more about the trail itself versus actually thru-hiking. The Trailside documentary is pretty heavily sanitized to fit the traditional Backpacker Magazine appetite.

Sly
11-27-2007, 22:08
I've seen

A Impression
5 Million
Trailside
Trek

but, I liked Walking with Freedom and, even though it was fictional, Southbounders the best.

The guys in Trek always seemed to be on a mission. How ever long they took on the milk drinking contest was stupid.

Kirby
11-27-2007, 22:19
I've seen

A Impression
5 Million
Trailside
Trek

but, I liked Walking with Freedom and, even though it was fictional, Southbounders the best.

The guys in Trek always seemed to be on a mission. How ever long they took on the milk drinking contest was stupid.

That milk drinking part was rediculous, is that seriously a challenge for hikers?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-27-2007, 22:21
That milk drinking part was rediculous, is that seriously a challenge for hikers?

Kirby

no it's not

Lilred
11-27-2007, 22:22

Kirby

I've never heard of it before seeing that movie nor since.

Kirby
11-27-2007, 22:31
it seemed idiotic, even for a thru hiker.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-27-2007, 22:34
eating a half gallon of ice cream is idiotic too

Sly
11-27-2007, 23:07

I shared a half gallon and that was enough of that cheap ****. They should get Ben & Jerry's

Skyline
11-27-2007, 23:18
I haven't disliked any of the AT videos / DVDs I've seen, but liked some more than others.

One of my favorites is Trail Magic, by Lagunatic, made way back in them thar olden days in 1991.

Trek is right up there too, as is Walking With Freedom. Both are realistic and up-to-date. If I had to choose my least favorite, and remember I didn't say I hated it, that would probably be Circle of Dreams which chronicled one of the Warren Doyle expeditions. Too much regiment, like being in the military I'd guess.

Tin Man
11-27-2007, 23:23
If it looks sheeplish and you do it, then you are a sheeple...and rightly so. :D

A-Train
11-28-2007, 01:59
I've never heard of it before seeing that movie nor since.

3 clowns on the PCT tried to drink a gallon of whole milk in Mammoth this summer. Result: No one suceeded and they all puked. And no one got much hiking in that day...

AT-HITMAN2005
11-28-2007, 07:51
i got to see lion king's movie at hiker's welcome hostel in glencliff was pretty good, especially since the film crew was there personally.

also the milk drinking thing(i haven't seen the movie but have seen people do this), is one of those jokes you play on people because supposedly its impossible to do. its entertaining to watch people drink themselves sick, but a waste of a good gallon of milk though.

EWS
11-28-2007, 08:28
A gallon of whole milk can be drank in 15 minutes. What time limit did they have?

Kirby
12-02-2007, 21:44
A gallon of whole milk can be drank in 15 minutes. What time limit did they have?

They had to drink it in one hour, and keep it down for one hour.

Kirby

Footslogger
12-02-2007, 22:06

====================================

Why not go to the source. Current owner of the Baja Cafe (trail name "Sherrif" AT 2001) was one of the original participants and is pictured in the video expelling the fluid in a somewhat projectile fashion.

'Slogger

EWS
12-02-2007, 22:54
I would, but no streaming media allowing in Afghanistan.

Ah, holding it in is the painful part but doable.

Lone Wolf
12-02-2007, 23:00
====================================

Why not go to the source. Current owner of the Baja Cafe (trail name "Sherrif" AT 2001) was one of the original participants and is pictured in the video expelling the fluid in a somewhat projectile fashion.

'Slogger

baja is no longer

JAK
12-02-2007, 23:17
"I can eat 50 eggs."
- Cool Hand Luke

EWS
12-02-2007, 23:44
50 eggs is just too much mass.

Blissful
12-02-2007, 23:48

Agreed. It landed me in the hospital in Carlisle with a fake heart attack...

We are still paying off the bill. Sigh.