PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag liner

tritonl
11-27-2007, 18:35
Do you use a sleeping bag liner? Or is it over rated and not worth spending the money on?

mountain squid
11-27-2007, 18:50
I use one. Not really certain if it does much for warmth, but it definetely keeps your bag cleaner (and it is easier to wash than your bag).

Check out Jag Bags (http://www.jagbags.co.nz/).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lilred
11-27-2007, 19:27
I didn't like mine. I toss and turn a lot and just got twisted up in it. I just wear the same, clean, long johns each nite to keep my bag clean. My last section, I had a pair of Betty Boop cotton pajamas. Weighs about the same as a liner and way more fun. Not sure how that would work for you though LOL

Appalachian Tater
11-27-2007, 19:28
Someone here once pointed out that silk long underwear performs the same function more efficiently and can be used other ways. I used one some but think that if you are relying on a silk liner to make your bag warm enough, you need a better bag as it doesn't make such a huge difference.

Pedaling Fool
11-27-2007, 19:43
I use one. Not really certain if it does much for warmth, but it definetely keeps your bag cleaner (and it is easier to wash than your bag).

Check out Jag Bags (http://www.jagbags.co.nz/).

See you on the trail,
mt squid
Same here.

Also, the liner takes up less space than long johns; I fold mine and put it in a ziplock bag (squeeze all air out when sealing bag) and it takes up virtually no space. However, if you stuff it into your stuff sac with your sleeping bag it can add considerable bulk.

mudhead
11-27-2007, 19:49
I wondered this, also.

So I made one out of $5 of polyester. I don't like liners. Twist up.

Makes a great stand alone bag for hot weather.

Passionphish
11-27-2007, 20:28
What is the benefits of a liner? I have read many threads and I have no idea what their benefits is. The temp thing seems personal So I don't take it into consideration. Not trying to hog this thread.

Lyle
11-27-2007, 21:53
Well, it does add some warmth. Most estimate about 9* which seams reasonable to me. I've used one with a 35* bag and slept very comfortably down to below freezing. Just like any other layering concept, the added layer does add warmth. It weighs only about 5 oz. so it's lighter than a pair of silk longjohns, I would imagine it's considerably cheaper too. Another benifit is that it is easier to launder the liner than it is to clean your bag.

Never had much problem getting tangled in it, but it does make getting in and out of your bag a bit more complicated, but not really all that difficult.

I don't always carry one, but It is useful for some times of the year and with some equipment choices. It adds flexibility to your system and offers added warmth insurance during the in-between seasons with very little added weight or bulk. I keep one handy to throw in the pack whenever I think it may be useful.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-27-2007, 22:01
I didn't like mine. I toss and turn a lot and just got twisted up in it. I just wear the same, clean, long johns each nite to keep my bag clean. My last section, I had a pair of Betty Boop cotton pajamas. Weighs about the same as a liner and way more fun. Not sure how that would work for you though LOLPlease tell me there are pictures :D

The Will
11-27-2007, 22:22
Someone here once pointed out that silk long underwear performs the same function more efficiently and can be used other ways. I used one some but think that if you are relying on a silk liner to make your bag warm enough, you need a better bag as it doesn't make such a huge difference.

I don't know if I can take credit for Tater's reference, but I certainly subscribe to the rationale.

I'm usually going to carry an additional set of clothes (i.e. camp clothes or "sacred" clothes, as I call them, in case I get soaked and need an escape from hypothermia). So while a liner does weigh less than silk weight long johns, if you can void your camp/second set of clothes by relying on the long johns for this purpose as well as using them in lieu of a liner than I'd guess you can come out better on the weigth issue.

Either way, I'm an advocate of the bag liner (or long johns) as a means of keeping you bag clean. Washing the liner is easy; washing a sleeping bag is time consuming.

Either long johns or a liner as part of your sleep system will add warmth. How much is debatable. My opinion is that if your are counting on those items to spell the difference between and warm night or a cold one, you might be on the cold side.

hopefulhiker
11-27-2007, 22:26
I used one, it kept the bag clean, a little bit warmer, i would say about 5 degrees, also it added comfort like sleeping at home. I used it with the Nunatak Back country blanket on a Big Agnes mattress. Also on really warm nights I used by itself.. I carried the thing the whole way.. I would do it again...

tritonl
11-27-2007, 23:13
Sounds like it is worth it in the long run, am having a hard time finding one that is resonably priced, 50$ for a silk liner is a bit much for me.

Smile
11-28-2007, 00:24
Have you tried Ebay, I've gotten some good deals there. Or post a 'wanted to buy' here on WB. I hope you find what you are looking for, I have to agree that the JagBags are nice. :)

EWS
11-28-2007, 03:46
Overrated. Marketing gimmick. Don't shart your sleeping bag.

Egads
11-28-2007, 07:34
Tritonl,

I have a silk liner, a Reactor liner, & a fleece summer bag / liner. The first 2 do not add any appreciable warmth but do help keep the bag clean. However they do get twisted up in the bag. The fleece does add ~15* but has a severe weight penalty.

Bottom line, liners suck. Buy a better bag.

Egads

NICKTHEGREEK
11-28-2007, 08:22
I didn't like mine. I toss and turn a lot and just got twisted up in it. I just wear the same, clean, long johns each nite to keep my bag clean. My last section, I had a pair of Betty Boop cotton pajamas. Weighs about the same as a liner and way more fun. Not sure how that would work for you though LOL

You are right about the toss and turn. I gave my self a full-body wedgie with mine the first really squirmy night. However, it does add some warmth, keeps the bag clean(er) and makes a great summer (HOT!) set up.

canerunner
11-28-2007, 08:29
Sounds like it is worth it in the long run, am having a hard time finding one that is resonably priced, 50$ for a silk liner is a bit much for me.

I can't speak about the silk, as I haven't used it, but I bought one of the Reactor liners and use it regularly. The Reactor is worth the $50 to me.

I carry a very light down bag (REI Kilo Flash) that's rated as a 40* bag, and with the Reactor. I've slept in 25-30 degreee weather by just wearing an extra layer of light clothes to sleep in. I know the light layer of clothes won't add THAT much to the rating of the bag.

I haven't had any problems with the liner getting twisted up. I usually sleep on my side, and when I roll from side to side, the whole bag (and liner) rolls with me. I don't know how those people sleep that have had the liner twist up inside their bags, but I sure havent' experienced it.

I don't carry a lot of extra clothes with me, and don't carry a pair of silk long underwear for sure. I carry one long sleeve shirt, one short sleeve shirt, and a pair of mid-weight long underwear bottoms. That, along with one pair of light hiking shorts and a light pair if convertible long pants is really the only clothing I carry. I will carry a fleece, down, and/or wind/rain jacket, depending on what kind of temperatures I expect.

All of that being said, I do have a sleeping bag with a lower temp rating that I will carry if I plan on "winter" camping, but most of the time, I carry the Kilo Flash. I always carry the liner, regarless of which bag I carry. It's worth the little weight it adds.

Tinker
11-28-2007, 09:29
I wear long underwear of various weights (except in hot weather, when I give my dirty extremities a quick wash to keep the interior of the bag clean).

The object of wearing long underwear is as much to keep the bag clean as anything else.

Long underwear can also be worn outside when nature calls. You can't do that with a bag liner. For me, they would be extra weight carried (vapor barrier liners excluded - they do serve an important purpose in very cold weather).

EWS
11-28-2007, 09:43
For me, they would be extra weight carried (vapor barrier liners excluded - they do serve an important purpose in very cold weather).Yeap, the only one's worth worring about and most people will never need one.

hopefulhiker
11-28-2007, 09:50
I don't know if the company still exists, but I ordered one from New Zealand for 5 dollars plus 15 in shipping. The same company sold possum fur nipple warmers, if you google that it might come up with the site..

Lilred
11-28-2007, 13:09
Please tell me there are pictures :D

Sorry Dino, none that I know of. Letting the Dino get ahold of a picture like that could be dangerous.....

Ashman
12-02-2007, 22:03
I bought a liner at the recommendation of one of my hiking mates for my recent trip. I was using a mummy bag so I wasn't doing alot of twisting and turning. I liked it, I thought it mafe the bag a bit warmer and I was able to pack nice and tight. I think if I was doing some warm weather camping I could use it in lieu of a bag. I'm not a hammock guy but I see myself going that way, I think it would work well with a hammock in warm weather. I got mine from REI for about $40

JAK
12-02-2007, 23:48
I think wool would be a good material for a liner, especially for a down bag in cold wet conditions. I use long wool underwear for that purpose also, but if I ever get a down bag I might look for a wool liner to go with it. Sometimes on long slow trudges in extreme cold it is good to dive into your bag to warm up a bit now and then, boots and all. That's where a wool liner would be most handy I think, as well as garbage bags and such.

jay590
12-04-2007, 03:20
i use one as it keeps my bag clean an it great on hot humid nights (i hate not having something covering me while i sleep)

Jay

Hooch
12-04-2007, 06:15
I bought one of the fleece REI bagliners as well and have used it twice now. It does add more warmth to your bag, helps keep your bag cleaner and is a very comfortable alternative to feeling nylon against you, especially on a cold night. My only complaint is that it is only half split and therefore a bit difficult to get into at times. But once you're there, it adds a nice toasty feeling to my bag. :D