PDA

View Full Version : Finalllllllllllllly but sadly it's over!!

Quicksilver
11-27-2007, 21:24
Completed Ga-Me on October 6, 2007. Section hiked the AT over 12 years in light of family and career. Can't imagine (and really don't want to) the cost per mile to do it. If I had ever thought about it I'd probably wouldn't have ever stated. Now looking in my gear closet, it's strange to look at all the gear I've accumulated over the years. Yet, looking at all of it I see a progression from a truly inexperineced neophyte to a reasonably savy hiker. Did I mature in mind and soul or did I just spend more money? I hope the former.

Summit day: There was no way I could have ordered a more perfect day. Crisp air, bright sun and deep blue skies plus a great bunch of other hikers at the top..Rex, Breeze, the Twins, Nobody and my long time hiking partner Captain Bacardi. Decending via Knife Edge and the Helon Taylor trail were a fitting end to the journey.

As Jan D. Curran wrote in his book, 'if you think you're finished when you've done Katahdin--you shouldn't have started".

To all who went before and to those who will follow: Hike your own hike.:)

Happy Trails,

Quicksilver
GA-ME

bigmac_in
11-27-2007, 21:26
CONGRATULATIONS ! I'll be there someday - I'm on the same plan.

Lone Wolf
11-27-2007, 21:26
i'm more impressed with someone like you than a one season thru-hiker. way to go!

Jack Tarlin
11-27-2007, 21:27
Nice work!!

shades of blue
11-27-2007, 21:27
Congrats on your journey. Now you can begin again. I know there's no way to describe how you feel. Awesome isn't it?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-27-2007, 21:30
::: Dino does cartwheels for Quicksilver and hopes to join him one day :::

spunky
11-27-2007, 21:48
Congrats Quicksilver!! What's next??? Hike it again? Hike it in a different direction? Different trail? It take a lot of dedication to hike it in sections. It would be interesting to have kept up with mileage, costs of shuttles / public transportation, etc. It would be expensive, but still cheaper than most vacations! Hopefully I will complete my hike in two more years. My husband said that he'll be glad when I finish it and "get it out of my system". Little does he know.....

Jim Adams
11-27-2007, 21:50
Congrats!!!!
I think LW is right...your way is much more difficult and actually requires more dedication.

geek

Quicksilver
11-27-2007, 22:01
To all who replied, Thanks for the kudos! I can tell you I'm really proud to have that bumper sticker on my car that reads '2175' . I've seen several drives wrinkle their brows trying to figure out what it means.

As far as keeping up with mileage, shuttles, expenses,etc. well I kept a pretty decent record but my hiking buddy, Captain Bacardi, has it all. He's got dates, mileage, loads of photos, who shuttled.... the whole enchilada.

I was thinking about the international AT and have just started reading up on it. So far, the info is pretty scarce and what I have read isn't too flattering. But hey, this is hiking in the woods not Cancun.

Lone Wolf
11-27-2007, 22:04
Do the remaining 160 or so miles of the Long Trail

Quicksilver
11-27-2007, 22:06
L.W.

The Long Trail is on the short list.

Marta
11-27-2007, 22:07
Congratulations!

stickat04
11-27-2007, 22:39
CONGRATS Great that you stuck with it. :clap

Roots
11-27-2007, 22:45
You are my inspiration!!:) My husband and I are section hikers on the 30 year plan. We love it!! There is nothing better to us. We get to enjoy it at our own pace and it couldn't be better. One day we might be able to thru, but until then we're just going to take it section by section. Your completion is amazing and thanks for sharing!!:sun

Spirit Walker
11-27-2007, 23:26
Congratulations! It takes a lot of dedication to complete the AT over several years. In many ways it's harder than thruhiking. Way to go!

Smile
11-27-2007, 23:27
Way to go! :)

Bearpaw
11-27-2007, 23:51
L.W.

The Long Trail is on the short list.

Don't forget the Benton MacKaye Trail virtually in your backyard.

And congratulations. After 12 years, it REALLY has to be a sense of great accomplishment.

Nightwalker
11-28-2007, 00:28
Time to start over!

:D

Sly
11-28-2007, 01:08
Very cool.... Kludos! :D

LIhikers
11-28-2007, 07:59
A big congrts to you!
It's no small feat to stick with a plan as long, in miles and time, as you have. Pat yourself on the back and then sit down with a cold beer and some maps to start planning where to hike next :)

wudhipy
11-28-2007, 08:25
congrats to you.it is really encouraging to hear some on our plan has completed the trail.note I didn't say finished.

wudhipy

Ron Haven
11-28-2007, 10:09
Completed Ga-Me on October 6, 2007. Section hiked the AT over 12 years in light of family and career. Can't imagine (and really don't want to) the cost per mile to do it. If I had ever thought about it I'd probably wouldn't have ever stated. Now looking in my gear closet, it's strange to look at all the gear I've accumulated over the years. Yet, looking at all of it I see a progression from a truly inexperineced neophyte to a reasonably savy hiker. Did I mature in mind and soul or did I just spend more money? I hope the former.

Summit day: There was no way I could have ordered a more perfect day. Crisp air, bright sun and deep blue skies plus a great bunch of other hikers at the top..Rex, Breeze, the Twins, Nobody and my long time hiking partner Captain Bacardi. Decending via Knife Edge and the Helon Taylor trail were a fitting end to the journey.

As Jan D. Curran wrote in his book, 'if you think you're finished when you've done Katahdin--you shouldn't have started".

Happy Trails,

Quicksilver
GA-MEGood going :sun

rafe
11-28-2007, 10:22
Hearty congratulations, from another habitual long-term section hiker. What next, eh? :-?

Kerosene
11-28-2007, 10:26
Congrats, Quicksilver. I'm so happy for you that you had a beautiful summit day...something that I hope will happen for me when I finally finish up. I don't keep track of what it's cost me either, for fear that my wife will get wind of what I've been spending!

jhick
11-28-2007, 10:35
CONGRATS! Nice work! In the last year I've started my section hike quest with NorthEastern PA and NJ, all within 3 hours drive of my home. I hiked up Katahdin years back with friends and I've been hooked on the idea of seeing all of the AT ever since. I don't want to try to figure out how long it may take me though!

Sly
11-28-2007, 10:35
Don't forget the Benton MacKaye Trail virtually in your backyard.

The Mountains to Sea Trail is in his backyard. A fine trail too.

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 11:00
Awesome achievement. It helps to hear success stories like this - especially for me with over 1800 miles to go.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-28-2007, 13:24
The Dinos had planned to start a two to three year section hike in the fall of 2004, but a bad auto accident (damaged the She-dino's right leg) got in the way. While the She-dino has backpacked for many years, the AT was never on my list of things to do until the He-Dino expressed an interest in hiking the AT after retirement. We still plan to try to complete it, but on a slower schedule and with more support and slackpacking than we originally planned.

Blissful
11-28-2007, 14:35
Fantastic. My hat goes off to sectioners who really have it tough.

slowandlow
11-28-2007, 18:01
Congratulations! My wife and I are halfway done with a 4 year section hike and I don't think I would have it any other way. The freedom to take one's sweet time and check out side trails at will is priceless. Maybe when I've seen the whole thing I will be ready for a thru.

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 18:16
Maybe when I've seen the whole thing I will be ready for a thru.

Why, may I ask? This is more of a question out of curiosity on how a section hiker views the thru-hike as I am conflicted with the idea of a thru someday myself. Certainly there is an element of accomplishment that comes with a thru, but is it worth the long trudge and living the "no rain, no pain, no Maine" life for 5-6 months? [Although, I would probably do a thru SOBO.] For many, I certainly under the answer is a resounding yes. For me, the more I read about the thru experience, the more I understand the relative benefits of the section hike and it is becoming less likely I will attempt a thru of AT proportions.

Rain Man
11-29-2007, 11:55
Congratulations from another section-hiker following your boot prints!

Maybe you could post some favorite experiences and stories from the trail?

Rain:sunMan

weary
11-29-2007, 12:19
...Decending via Knife Edge and the Helon Taylor trail were a fitting end to the journey.
Happy Trails, Quicksilver GA-ME
Congratulations. But now, of course, that you've seen the Knife Edge and Helon Taylor trails, you'll have to go back and do any other great blue blazed Trails you may have missed during your 12 years.

Weary

Ashman
11-29-2007, 12:43
Congrats from one GSO guy to another!

Quicksilver
11-29-2007, 20:41
As said before, Thanks to all those who have replied and offered their congratulations. Now I feel like I gotta go out a do some big miles to live up to the kudos bestowed upon this simple hiker!

Tin may asks how a section hiker views the thru-hike. Quite frankly, I have always looked at thru hikers with a slight bit of envy. Just being on the trail for few days or a couple of weeks just starts a lot of things but finishes few. For example, I always tried to 'fit in' and make new friends. But, as a section hiker when we first stated a section I'd usually hear ta snear or snicker that "he's just a section hiker. Well, my hiking buddy and I would do the big days (+20s) when necessary and at the end of the day we'd be there in camp with the rest of the young guns...maybe not as early but we'd be there. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little proud of ourselves at the end of a 20+ mile day when someone would ask, So you guys are section hikers? So, just when you start earning 'props' and making some headway toward real friendships it's time to leave the trail. I always felt very envious when it was time to leave the trail and the thru-hikers just kept going knowing that lasting friendships were being forged every step they made.
We seldom had the choice of dismissing the 'no rain, no pain, no Maine' method of section hiking. Family and business were always present in the mind...just a little less intense when on the AT. When the shuttle dropped us at the trail head, we knew we had x number of days to get to get to the airport and be back in the office. The farther north we hiked, we always calculated in at least a nero day and depending on where we were maybe one zero. Both came in handy from Conn north.
You can do all the gym work possible but nothing prepares you for the trail. Just when this section hiker got 'trail legs' and was able to churn and burn and do the +20 days without taking at least 10 Aleves, it was time to leave the trail. Each time we began a section it was hurt like hell for the first several days. Each section...do it all over again. This is not a problem if you are a thur hiker.

Rain Man asked for a favorite experinece...too many to list but I'd say the most memorable was going over Mt. Madison, Sept 1, 2005 when Hurricane Katrina blew thru. Read Gypsy Lulu & Touk's 2005 Applalachian Trail journal at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=115815

Dakota Dan
11-29-2007, 20:48
A great big Kudos from the "soon to be out of public water" Souths Capital...Hot Lanta.

Sissygirl
11-29-2007, 21:00
Fantastic!! My hat is off to you. Such a remarkable accomplishment.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-29-2007, 21:47
Way to go I have been doing the AT section by section over the past 5 years am now in northern Va Just when you seem to get your trail legs it is time to go home. It does hurt like hell . This march I will be retiring and will pick back up and go straight thru- I have met a lot of thru hikers overthe years and have never seen any put downs because I was doing a section hike if anything like you said they were always amazed at the end of the day when an old guy rolled in later after a 18-20 mile day, Many have told me that they think it is very hard to be a section hiker and trying to get your mileage in during the time you have available. All of the thru hikers I have met have been really cool people and I have enjoyed everyone I have met and spent time with on the trail. Once again congrats you are still young enough to do the PCT or another trail. Good luck
Hillbilly

weary
11-29-2007, 21:50
There are a variaty of section hikes. I hiked all of Maine in the 70s and 80s with my three kids. During those times and later I hiked sections in North Carolina, where my late inlaws lived. Over many decades I've done a lot of the trail in New Hampshire.

IN 1993, for a variety reasons I've reported on here from time to time, I took Amtrak to Georgia with a vague plan to walk home to Maine.

I started late (April 13 from Amicalola) and arrived on Katahdin's summit on October 16. But I was not a purist. I didn't take many easy alternative trails, but I did take a lot of scenic alternatives.

Anyway I arrived in New York as a "reasonably pure" thru hiker, looked at the Calendar and skipped ahead to the Whites in hopes of reaching Baxter before it closed. I missed the deadline by a day, but being known as a longtime critic of park, they let me stay and climb the mountain anyway.

I've never sat down and calculated the length of that "section" but I'm thinking, maybe 1,900 miles. I've picked a few hundred miles since. And I've done quite a few hundred miles before and since twice or more.

When ATC awarded me with an honorary "life" membership, four years ago, part of the claims made on my behalf is that I was a "thru hiker." Because the program was running late, I didn't bother to correct them. I sort of felt like a thru-hiker when I reached the summit of Katahdin at age 64, after six months and three days.

However, I'm really most proud of is being a section hiker over a span of 65 years. I may even pick up a few miles in the south sometime and apply for a 2000-miler patch. It might inspire a hiker or two to read my obituary.

Weary

Dakota Dan
12-01-2007, 01:01
I can't imagine the cost to section the AT or any long trail with gas going for 75c a quart, which in turn raises any shuttle fees one might incur. Has anyone done, or know of, a cost analysis of a section hike? Any suggestions on how to do one? :-?

yappy
12-02-2007, 18:09
I agree with Lw... sectioning these trails takes more dedication then thru hiking... congrats..yippee !:banana

nitewalker
12-02-2007, 18:16
from one section hiker to another. congrats on your recent completion of the AT. i wish you the best of luck on your next excursion.:D

Wonder
12-02-2007, 18:27
I cannot wait to join your ranks!!! Way to go!

Programbo
12-02-2007, 19:43
i'm more impressed with someone like you than a one season thru-hiker. way to go!

I agree with this completely...Doing the AT over a longer period in sections shows one really loves it and it`s in their blood more than someone who may do it one time and never hike again because they hiked it for other reasons apart from a love for the AT, the mountains, etc.....WTG!...How long a period of time did you do it all in anyway?

Bumpa
12-09-2007, 19:50
Congrats Quicksilver...you are an inspiration...I started section hiking two years ago when I turned 62 and have driven down and completed approx. 550 miles over two Spring trips. Already got the gear out and looking forward to heading out next Spring...hopefully a little longer now that I am retired...Bumpa

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 19:54
I can't imagine the cost to section the AT or any long trail with gas going for 75c a quart, which in turn raises any shuttle fees one might incur. Has anyone done, or know of, a cost analysis of a section hike? Any suggestions on how to do one? :-?

I am not sure what you mean. Section hike over what time period? IF spread over several years, a section hike is a bargain versus many other vacations you could take.

Rain Man
12-09-2007, 22:28
I am not sure what you mean. Section hike over what time period? IF spread over several years, a section hike is a bargain versus many other vacations you could take.

You're confusing irrelevant apples and oranges.
;)

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 22:29
;)

Yes, it is clearer when you only consider the relevant apple and oranges.

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 22:34
;)

Dang, I hate when I do that. Um, what was the question?

Hooch
12-09-2007, 22:39
Quicksilver, congrats are definitely in order. I may be on the 20 year plan also, but I'll make there too. :D