PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles

mts4602
11-27-2007, 22:39
I'm looking for some recommendations on some hiking poles. Preferably under $100. What do you guys use?

MTS

Lone Wolf
11-27-2007, 22:40
have you tried hiking without them?

sasquatch2014
11-27-2007, 22:50
I used a staff for a long time that I had made with my kids but it was a bit too heavy and was slick when it got wet rain or sweat. I picked up a pair of Leki poles the ones with no shock or anything just a basic adjustable pole. I opted for no shock for two reasons one is that it is one less thing to possibly break and secondly it is cheaper. I bought mine at Campmor and I think I got them for about $50. they have saves me more than once from a fall. I know someone who got a set from Wal-Mart and they work well for him. My Wally world does not carry things like this.

doggiebag
11-27-2007, 22:56
Black Diamond Trail poles - Mountain series - I purchased mine from REI for $49.00 - They turned out to be pretty tough. It's one of the few pieces of gear that was trully bullet proof.

excuses
11-27-2007, 23:00
Before this last spring I was with LW, they were in the way. Bad knees and all I picked up a staff this past May and have enjoyed it since. sasquatch2014 is right about the slickness when wet but I modified my stick. I'm not ready for the poles yet, Everyone that uses them does rave about them. You might try a few outfit stores for a sampling of some.

tritonl
11-27-2007, 23:02
komperdell poles from rei or online, you can get them for 50 or 60.

kritter
11-27-2007, 23:03
Walmart sells poles $10 each. Thats what I use.

FanaticFringer
11-27-2007, 23:18
www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21854782&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Flush2wice
11-27-2007, 23:26
I'm looking for some recommendations on some hiking poles. Preferably under $100. What do you guys use?

MTS
I use rebar, it's cheap and strong. Wrap a lot of duct tape around it.

Manach
11-27-2007, 23:46
http://www.americanhiking.org/hikers_store/products.html

These are Leki Makalu poles. $76 at the moment, which is about $40 bucks cheaper than regular price.

If you've never used trekking poles try to find a set to borrow, or buy two of the $10 jobs mentioned above. Some people hate them, some love them. If you love them, buy the Makalus. Backpacker magazine gave them a sort of lifetime achievement award or something.

mts4602
11-27-2007, 23:47
Sounds great, thanks everybody.

and LW: Yep I've never owned poles before. I've done just fine without them and I actually thought the same as a lot of people, basically that they were just another thing for me to carry. But then I had someone show me the correct way to use them and after trying them out I liked them.

Oh and I'm clumsy. The fact that I haven't sprained/broken my ankle yet on the trail is amazing...the poles help with that.

Flush2wice
11-28-2007, 00:17
Oh and I'm clumsy. The fact that I haven't sprained/broken my ankle yet on the trail is amazing...the poles help with that.

Back in the old days, hikers who thought they couldn't hike with their feet would find a stick of wood from the forest to allow them to walk. Today it's amazing to think that people used to use those heavy wooden sticks. Now with modern light weight laminates and alloys, you can go to a store, plunk down a hundred or 2 and have a space age hiking stick. Plus- they double as a tarp pole!!!

Smile
11-28-2007, 00:21
Steep & Cheap has had poles on specials several times this month, you might want to check out that site anyway, some great deals on gear if you stop in at the right time. :)
http://steepandcheap.com

Tennessee Viking
11-28-2007, 01:27
I use Mountainsmiths. They are a cheaper brand of Leki's. Got them as gifts, but I understand they were around $50. I only had one pole break on me.

I know a lot of people who use the cheap poles, mainly for day hiking or just weekend hikers.

Target sells individual Eddie Bauer poles for about $13-$15 each.

Walmart has Coleman poles I think $10 each.

I would got for cheap retail poles first to see how rugged your with them. If they break within 90 days, you can return them to Target if you keep the receipt.

Then if you want to invest in some high end poles then go Leki.

Dakota Dan
11-28-2007, 01:33
I'm using a Hickory Stick currently. Those fancy springy sticks cost too darn much.

ChinMusic
11-28-2007, 01:52
I had always used Leki poles until I forgot to take mine on a trip. I bought some "cheap" Black Diamonds just to "get by". Well, the Black Diamonds are now my favorites. The clasping mechanism is so much quicker on the Black Diamonds than the twisting required on the Lekis.

I like to lengthen and shorted my poles based on up or down hills. The Lekis are a PITA to adjust on the fly, while the BDs are a piece of cake.

YMMV

Lyle
11-28-2007, 01:59
PacerPoles!

Not under $100, but very unique design and well worth the price in my opinion. Take a look.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Montego
11-28-2007, 02:14
i've always have used a hiking staff. Usually just a long stick I've picked up off the ground. I've finally broken down and bought a hickory hiking staff and then modified it by epoxying a small compass to the top, drilled a small sighting hole through the staff aligned with the "N" of the compass, attaching a nylon wrist strap, and finally, added a deer skin hand grip. It came with a rubber tip. We'll see............

dixicritter
11-28-2007, 12:09
Because of my arthritis the regular hiking pole grips wouldn't work for me so I got a set of these... LEKI Super Micro (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39206168&memberId=12500226)

Pedaling Fool
11-28-2007, 12:14
I also use them, but it's very important to check the locking mechanism. I went through about 10 of them before I found two that did not slip when I pushed down on them.

sonic
11-28-2007, 14:35

Me too!

dessertrat
11-28-2007, 14:42
Yup, I've broken two of those walmart poles, but I have a feeling I would have broken an expensive one too.

(The expensive ones should be stronger, though-- most of them are made of 7000 series aluminum, whereas the Walmart ones are made of 6000 series aluminum).

Blissful
11-28-2007, 14:50
I used my $30 Komperdell from Sierra Trading Post for four years until they bit the dust in the Whites on this hike. Then bought the Leki ultralight poles in Gorham and really liked them.

Paul Bunyan used the cheapie poles from Wal mart before the hike and promptly bent it. They would probably be okay for short term used.

jhick
11-28-2007, 15:27
I ran into a thru hiker who used beech wood sticks. At first I thought it was funny, until I realized

A) They are free, who cares if you loose them.
B) If you forget to bring them, find a new pair.
C) If you pick the right diameter, the weight seems comparable to poles.
D) They aren't as noisy on rocks.

For a grip, I wrapped 550 cord around them a bunch of times and tied a loop for a strap.

sasquatch2014
11-28-2007, 18:13
If i am just out with the kids and family i take my staff. It has great meaning to me as the kids helped to find it and make it. We were up in Newmarket NH with a friend walking along the river when my son came up with a big stick. This is normal for him. This one had almost all the bark off of it and was chewed clean by a beaver. You can see all the teeth marks on it. When we got it home I brewed some black tea and reduced it down and used this as the stain. The kids helped with this and many coats of Polyureathane. This is one that if I left I would hike back over any mountain for.

mudhead
11-28-2007, 18:19
Keepah.

kayak karl
11-28-2007, 18:29
Why do people use walking sticks. i've hike all my life and never used any (maybe pick up a stick to cross a stream). How do they help? Does it distribute weight? or is it for balance? I'm serious. Have I been missing something?

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 18:33
Why do people use walking sticks. i've hike all my life and never used any (maybe pick up a stick to cross a stream). How do they help? Does it distribute weight? or is it for balance? I'm serious. Have I been missing something?

you're missing nothing. i don't use them either. you don't need them

FanaticFringer
11-28-2007, 18:44

Fording creeks, help prevent falls, reduce wear/tear on knees, full body workout as opposed to just legs working, clearing spider webs, fending off rabbid dogs, bears, hairless mice. Propping up a tarp for a bivy or hammock, I'm sure I'm missing a few dozen.

Appalachian Tater
11-28-2007, 18:53

For me, poles:
a. provide better balance, especially on slippery rocks or when there is unsure footing, such as rock-hopping streams or walking on a log or on odd-shaped rocks
b. take weight off my knees
c. provide some upper-body workout
d. help "brake" and slow my speed going downhill
e. help me pull myself uphill
f. are part of my shelter, a Henry Shires Tarptent Rainbow
g. provide some protection from unrestrained animals
h. in a pinch, can be used to gently poke recalcitrant, stationary cows
i. are useful to see how deep water or mud is, and to poke puncheons to see if they are one of those "trick" ones that is floating on the water
j. can be used to knock something down that you can't reach, and to pick up a dropped hat (or the other pole) rather than having to bend down to the ground while wearing a pack
k. if you do have to get down on the ground, can be useful for getting back up
l. say to prospective rides when hitchhiking, "I'm a hiker, not a bum."
m. can be used to push aside thorny branches or wet grass, and to flip sticks out of the trail, and so providing minor maintenance
n. can be used to move snakes, though I have not done this personally, I have seen it done
o. saved me from falling or slipping to the ground dozens and dozens if not hundreds of times, and may have even saved me from serious injury or death in doing so; they bend but don't break
p. are useful for supporting my weight when standing at rest
q. may increase my speed
r. are perfect for spiderweb clearing, I forgot that, thanks to Fanatic Fringer, this is very important, wet spiderwebs on your face are yukky when you have a five-day beard and you still aren't wide awake
s. may be used to retrieve your pump hose and float if it gets away

After shoes, I consider them my most important piece of equipment. Even if I have to leave my pack outside, my poles go with me!

woodsy
11-28-2007, 18:55
you don't need them
One would be very wise to use poles in winter/snowy/slippery conditions for sure, don't care how tough you are, they will likely save you from some bad falls, injury, they have saved me in these conditions many times.

Summit
11-28-2007, 19:30
Well, I'll find out on my next hike - can't wait. After 34 years of going "stickless" I urged my wife . . . Ok, ordered them for her, to give to me for Christmas, Komperdell C3s. I took some advice here at Whiteblaze and did not go for the shock absorbing ones. These are carbon ultralite, something like 12 oz. for both. They were $159 on sale for $99 at REI.

Summit
11-28-2007, 19:33
One would be very wise . . .Let's face it. Some people have no interest whatsoever in being very wise or taking advice. They are just set in their ways and there is no sensible way unless it's their way! Best to ignore 'em. :)

FanaticFringer
11-28-2007, 20:29
Let's face it. Some people have no interest whatsoever in being very wise or taking advice. They are just set in their ways and there is no sensible way unless it's their way! Best to ignore 'em. :)

You cant talk about him like that....he's like a god or something around here.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 21:49
You cant talk about him like that....he's like a god or something around here.:rolleyes:

no. i'm the resident *******. and obviously tougher than you. poles are for weenies kid :)

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 21:54
Let's face it. Some people have no interest whatsoever in being very wise or taking advice. They are just set in their ways and there is no sensible way unless it's their way! Best to ignore 'em. :)

some people are just lone wolves and are very wise and don't want or need advice from packsniffing sheeple.

dixicritter
11-28-2007, 22:10
I saw you eyeing mine at Trail Days L. Wolf. :p ;)

Summit
11-28-2007, 22:24
some people are just lone wolves and are very wise and don't want or need advice from packsniffing sheeple.Then what is your purpose here? I may be wrong but I think most folks are here to learn and share so that others may learn.

If I boolean searched [shelters AND suck OR "you don't need it"] I'd come up with 11,000 of your posts. That spells NO VALUE-ADD! So again I ask, what is your agenda? To put people sharing with one another down?

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 22:26
Then what is your purpose here? I may be wrong but I think most folks are here to learn and share so that others may learn.

If I boolean searched [shelters AND suck OR "you don't need it"] I'd come up with 11,000 of your posts. That spells NO VALUE-ADD! So again I ask, what is your agenda? To put people sharing with one another down?

huh? i share a lot and give good advice. i bought a bear canister recently.

Summit
11-28-2007, 22:29
huh? i share a lot and give good advice. i bought a bear canister recently.Call me on your cell phone and I'll believe you! :D :p

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 22:30

by the way, feel free to put me on your IGNORE list so you don't have to boolean search. frig does that mean anyway?:-? but you won't put me on IGNORE cuz you love to read the crap i post :)

Dakota Dan
11-28-2007, 22:33
........If I boolean searched [shelters AND suck ............I'd come up with 11,000 of your posts...........

Burn those suckers down, that'll stop him.:banana

dixicritter
11-28-2007, 22:44
Our youngest son, Creek Hopper, has been using a set of those $10 each WalMart poles for several years now and they still work just fine. He's not exactly easy on them either, he's only 9 years old.

Dakota Dan
11-28-2007, 22:55

I either need glasses or am a hopeless alcoholic. While reading this I saw beer canister. I thought to myself "he meant keg" :D

Flush2wice
11-28-2007, 23:51
For me, poles:
a. provide better balance, especially on slippery rocks or when there is unsure footing, such as rock-hopping streams or walking on a log or on odd-shaped rocks
b. take weight off my knees
c. provide some upper-body workout
d. help "brake" and slow my speed going downhill
e. help me pull myself uphill
f. are part of my shelter, a Henry Shires Tarptent Rainbow
g. provide some protection from unrestrained animals
i. are useful to see how deep water or mud is, and to poke puncheons to see if they are one of those "trick" ones that is floating on the water
j. can be used to knock something down that you can't reach, and to pick up a dropped hat (or the other pole) rather than having to bend down to the ground while wearing a pack
k. if you do have to get down on the ground, can be useful for getting back up
m. can be used to push aside thorny branches or wet grass, and to flip sticks out of the trail, and so providing minor maintenance
n. can be used to move snakes, though I have not done this personally, I have seen it done
o. saved me from falling or slipping to the ground dozens and dozens if not hundreds of times, and may have even saved me from serious injury or death in doing so; they bend but don't break
p. are useful for supporting my weight when standing at rest
q. may increase my speed
r. are perfect for spiderweb clearing, I forgot that, thanks to Fanatic Fringer, this is very important, wet spiderwebs on your face are yukky when you have a five-day beard and you still aren't wide awake
s. may be used to retrieve your pump hose and float if it gets away

After shoes, I consider them my most important piece of equipment. Even if I have to leave my pack outside, my poles go with me!

Sorry Tater but this is lame. I don't have time to address each particular lameness so let's reduce it to "if your scared of spider webs then spend $200 for sticks."

Lone Wolf
11-28-2007, 23:52
beyond weenie

warraghiyagey
11-29-2007, 00:04
How big is a bear canister and how do you get it in there?

Summit
11-29-2007, 00:15
How big is a bear canister and how do you get it in there?Well, they had to cut down on size due to weight considerations, so you are spot on, therein lies the tough part! :D

tazie
11-29-2007, 23:08
These reasons for poles struck me as really funny...

k. if you do have to get down on the ground, can be useful for getting back
up

and my favorite:

Guess I'm old-fashioned..I still just use a favorite old walking stick...maybe one day...