PDA

View Full Version : UL Thermawrap Vs. Down

Smile
11-28-2007, 01:38
Pro's and Con's about these two choices.
Which Down Jacket is the lightest for the warmth in your experience?

Mocs123
11-28-2007, 10:05
I have the UL Thermawrap wich is synthetic and not down. One reason I chose it over the UL Down jacket becouse at the time the Montbell UL Down Jacket used plastic snaps instead of a zipper. From what I understand Montbell now uses 800 fill down (instead of 725) and added a zipper.

I would be more inclined to go with the UL Down with the new improvements but also like the fact that I have a synthetic insulating layer and a down sleeping bag. If everything were to get wet, at least I would still get some warmth (though probably not much) from my Thermawrap.

I do not have the UL Down Jacket, but they are marketed as "similar warmth" items. My Thermarap is good to 40* or so, but not as warm as my (heavier) Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover.

I should also note that my Jacket is an older model (2005) that has the older zipper and no pockets. I have the pants too, and although they do a good job keeping me warm, they could do without the full side zips, fly, and the pockets. I think you could get the same insulation value out of them for a few ounces less.

Smile
12-05-2007, 00:43
Thanks Mocs123, good answers and detailed info that was helpful ;)

greentick
12-05-2007, 01:40
Just some thoughts on the down version. Packs down to smaller than a nalgene. Weighs like 6oz. The newer one does have a zipper and pockets. The collar zips up and is fairly snug. The cuffs have some elastic that work fine. The waist has no elastic or drawstring. When the jacket got too drafty I just grabbed a bit in back and tucked it into my pants. I may sew a nylon drawstring channel to it at some point because it definately made it warmer. I wore mine in the smokies about a month ago with evening/morning temps around 30 and it was warm (to me) with only a thin wool longsleeve top. Throw your rainshell over the top and it is very warm.

It is very wind resistant.

AFA the dwr I have no field experience with this item. When I got it last winter I wore it to work a few days to see how it felt and got sprinkled on a bit. Water beaded up and ran off. You would probably be screwed it it was raining any harder than a sprinkle or for any length of time.

Lastly, stuffed in a sack it makes a great pillow.

Kerosene
12-05-2007, 11:42
I've got a Montbell UL down that I purchased several years ago on sale: a men's medium weighs just over 7 ounces. Layered with a long-sleeve camp T-shirt, fleece, and a rain jacket, I've been comfy in camp below freezing. It looks like Mocs123 has a wider range of product experience, but I'd lean toward the lighter down version over synthetic. Note that once you get outside for a few days your body's thermostat adjusts to the point that most people are comfortable with cooler temperatures. I don't bother to bring a down jacket unless I expect temperatures in the 30's or below.

JAK
12-05-2007, 11:46
I gotta wonder with many of these ultra-light puffs,
when you take away the inner and out shell how much is left,
and whether it makes much difference what it is in the middle.