PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp recommendation needed

LIhikers
11-28-2007, 09:08
OK whiteblazers, I'm in need of your collective wisdom.
My years old Aurora headlamp, by Princton Tec, broke the other day while I was trying to change the batteries in the dark. Now the case won't stay shut and it's only duct tape that keeps it from opening and spilling the batteries.

Is there an LED headlamp, that's bright, light, and idiot proof when it comes to changing the batteries? I'm kind of "ham handed" and hoping for something that opens and closes easily.

bigcranky
11-28-2007, 09:20
Hey, duct tape isn't such a bad solution <g>.

I'm partial to my Petzl Zipka+. This is my second Zipka, and I just like the way it's designed with the retractable headband. The newer Zipka+ model has 4 LEDs, uses 3 AAA batteries, and has three light levels.

I tested it against the Black Diamond Spot, which has a big LED spotlight for hiking and three small LEDs for working around camp. This one will take Lithium cells (better in cold) and may be easier for night hiking. I may pick one up this week for a December hike we have planned -- we always end up hiking into the dark.

Anyway, I like both of these lights.

Appalachian Tater
11-28-2007, 09:24
Another vote for the Zipka Plus. Fairly light, compact, bright, multiple brightness settings, batteries last. Easy enough to change the batteries but it doesn't pop open when you drop it.

taildragger
11-28-2007, 09:33
Walmart special, energizer head lamps. Fairly bright, red LED for night work at camp or when you don't want to lose your night vision. I've yet to have one crap out, I had one for about 3 years then it got stolen, the one I've got now is 1 yr older and it has better LED's than the old one.

Cuffs
11-28-2007, 09:42
I had one of those Energizer lights and was not happy with it. You push the button once to turn it on, then you have to cycle thru all the other modes of light to turn it off... PITA!

The new Petzl e+Lite is only 1 oz (3oz w/ case) and takes watch batteries. LOVE IT! And is only $30 (less when on sale)

NICKTHEGREEK
11-28-2007, 09:42
OK whiteblazers, I'm in need of your collective wisdom.
My years old Aurora headlamp, by Princton Tec, broke the other day while I was trying to change the batteries in the dark. Now the case won't stay shut and it's only duct tape that keeps it from opening and spilling the batteries.

Is there an LED headlamp, that's bright, light, and idiot proof when it comes to changing the batteries? I'm kind of "ham handed" and hoping for something that opens and closes easily.

Well, the Zipka isn't exactly user kind to the "Ham Handed" when changing batteries, but it is a really great little light. Perhaps a climbers light with a larger semi-remote batter pack might be more your style.

taildragger
11-28-2007, 09:57
There's a black diamond Helion on www.steepandcheap.com right now, should be a pretty decent lamp

Appalachian Tater
11-28-2007, 10:06
The thing about the Zipka Plus is that you just don't have to change the batteries frequently--one set lasted for an entire thru-hike, with usage every evening but no night hiking. There is a little contrast-color rubbery button you push in then pull the cover off. The biggest problem if you're "ham handed" is that the whole thing is small but that's true of any headlight. Changing the batteries would not be my primary concern if I only had to do it every few months. For that matter, just ask someone else to do it for you. Also, it dims slowly giving plenty of warning to change the batteries so you shouldn't have to do it in the dark.

Watch batteries are fairly expensive. Those Wal-Mart lights are a notch down in quality and I consider a headlight safety gear.

Gaiter
11-28-2007, 11:31
i'll second the walmart one, $13 and buy lithium batteries, the one i have takes three AAA batteries

Mocs123
11-28-2007, 11:50
Petzel Tikka XP

or

Princton Tec EOS

Alligator
11-28-2007, 13:53
My Aurora cracked too. There's a thin crosspiece section that broke on it. That was my second one, the button went bad on the first one.

I switched back to a Petzl (Tactinna). They are a bit expensive and I haven't used it enough to recommend it.

LIhikers
11-28-2007, 15:46
My Aurora cracked too. There's a thin crosspiece section that broke on it.

Yep.
That cross piece is what broke on mine too!
Ya know, I think I'll contact the manufacturer and let them know they have a problem area. If they change it maybe it will save somebody else from having the same problem. Otherwise, I think it's a good light.

Alligator
11-28-2007, 16:18
Yep.
That cross piece is what broke on mine too!
Ya know, I think I'll contact the manufacturer and let them know they have a problem area. If they change it maybe it will save somebody else from having the same problem. Otherwise, I think it's a good light.I think they are moving to a new design, I notice Auroras are selling for about just over $15 in many places.

It's a decent light, but that piece is fragile. My tactikka has a crosspiece too but it is a bit thicker. I wanted the red filter that's why I bought it, plus petzl has decent quality too. But the price is a bit steep:eek: .

Roots
11-28-2007, 16:27
Okay, 'HI, my name is Roots and I am a gearaholic.' Now that we got that out of the way, go with the Petzl E+lite. I, too, had the Aurora and it broke after about 7 uses. About 4 months ago I stumbled upon the E+lite and didn't quit thinking about it until I bought it. I got it through Campmor on sale for $22 a couple of months ago. I think I saw where either REI or Campsaver had it on sale. You could check back with Campmor again, though, they're good about putting stuff on sale more than once. Good Luck and may the light be with you!:)

Palmer
11-28-2007, 16:41
I've got the Tikka Plus (I think) that I use around the house. It's great, but a little heavy. For hiking I use the Black Diamond Ion, which gives enough light for reading or other camp use, although I wouldn't want to use it for night hiking. It's light and uses a watch battery. My son-in-law has a cheap light that he got at Advance Auto that he really likes.

turtle fast
11-28-2007, 17:00
Again, I too have used the Walmart energizer headlamps with much success and ditto Gaiter to use the lithium batteries as they last longer. Though the new ones do not have the top head cross band which I think is more comfortable. Did I mention its 17.98.

mts4602
11-29-2007, 18:30
I have the Black Diamond SPOT. It's bright as h***.

Stonewall
11-29-2007, 20:24
homecheapo (depot) is selling a 3 pack of head lamps for $20 can't say how well they work haven't bought a pack yet but probably will

Dakota Dan
11-29-2007, 20:26
Use a Petzl Duo with 5 LED's.

urbanhiker
11-29-2007, 20:35
I heard a good review regading this Arc Flashlight (http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml)

I may actually purchase one, I like the size and the fact it has such strong lumens. You may want to add a head band to it though.

urban hiker

LIhikers
11-29-2007, 21:03
I've been the route of the small flashlight and don't want to go back down that road.

Since my original post, I've been looking at websites that show headlamps. I still haven't seen or read about any that have a easy to open battery case. Surely somebody must make one, no?

bigboots
11-29-2007, 21:12
I've been the route of the small flashlight and don't want to go back down that road.

Since my original post, I've been looking at websites that show headlamps. I still haven't seen or read about any that have a easy to open battery case. Surely somebody must make one, no?

I don't know about you, but I always carry my 43 lb. tool box with me on the trail so I can change the batteries in my headlamp. For my thru I might drop a few items from it...maybe get it down to ~40 lbs. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-29-2007, 21:12
I used the Energizer for years - but lately I've gone to the Princeton Scout. Works well.

Skidsteer
11-29-2007, 21:18
I still love the Pelican VB3 (http://www.botachtactical.com/pevb3ledli.html).

Clip it to a headband or hat or shirt pocket or tarp flap, etc.

Very versatile for 1 ounce.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-29-2007, 21:21
I still love the Pelican VB3 (http://www.botachtactical.com/pevb3ledli.html).

Clip it to a headband or hat or shirt pocket or tarp flap, etc.

Very versatile for 1 ounce.Ahh... I see a He-dino Christmas present

LIhikers
12-01-2007, 23:07
OK folks. I may have found the answer to my hard to open battery case headlamp. Has anyone used Prineton Tec's Quad headlamp? It's got 4 leds and the battery case opens with a little thumb-screw on the back of the case. At the bottom of the case there's a real hinge for the battery cover to open.

Have any of you got real world experience with this make and model of headlamp? If so, how is it as far as amount of light and difficulty in changing the batteries?

Auntie Mame
12-02-2007, 16:25
I love the size and weight of that little light, but heard that they are difficult to read by. Any comments by users?

Nearly Normal
12-02-2007, 18:11
I can't see why anyone would need more than a photon light with a couple of velcro dots. Glue one to the light and sew one on your hat.
Take a spare if you lose things.

bigcranky
12-02-2007, 18:40
I can't see why anyone would need more than a photon light with a couple of velcro dots. Glue one to the light and sew one on your hat.
Take a spare if you lose things.

That works for me in summer, when it's light until I go to bed. I tried it last March, though, and it didn't work out so well. Trying to make dinner, read, write in my journal, hang food, and otherwise deal with life in camp in the dark wasn't easy with just the Photon.

Part of the issue was that I didn't have a ball cap, just a microfleece beanie, so I couldn't use the little headlamp clip all that well. But it also just didn't put out enough light for my needs.

So now I take a Zipka for fall-winter-spring, and a Photon for summer. YMMV.

LIhikers
12-07-2007, 22:31

Well, I think I found the headlamp with an idot proof battery compartment. It's the Princeton Tec Quad. The battery cover, which swings open on a real hinge, is held closed by a small thumbscrew on the top of the case. Plus the cover has an O-ring to seal it against water leaking in. With four LEDs it's plenty bright enough for my 55 year old eyes. I haven't been out in the woods with it yet but it looks to be bright enough to hike by as well as do camp chores. Now if I can just get a weekend free I'll go give it a good test.

superman
12-07-2007, 22:47
Now I use the Petzl, Tikka plus. That's the one with the 4 bulbs.

Seeker
12-09-2007, 01:17
i've got a Garrity that i found at walmart or lowe's for about $15 that has held up really well for about 3 years. i wove the strap through a small piece of thin foam to pad the headpiece, since it didn't have one. takes 2 watch batteries (i think they're the same size as the ones for my photon, CR-2016). LED has 4 positions. first click is hi, next is low, 3rd is disco strobe, 4th is off. yeah, you have to cycle through them all, but it's not that big a deal to me. the battery compartment unscrews with a screwdriver or a dime, so it's pretty simple to do.

LIhikers
01-01-2008, 14:11
OK, I've got some real world experience with the Princeton Tec Quad headlamp now. The battery case issue is a breeze to get it open and closed plus it throws plenty of light for night hiking. So much in fact that with fresh batteries I don't need to use the highest light settings. Now it's just a question of durability but only time and a lot of use will answer that question.

Montego
01-01-2008, 21:39
I just took delivery of a Princeton Tec Apex on sale from Detourzone for about $55 (MSRP about $90) last month. Has two brightness settings for camp use and two brightness setting for spot, plus flashing mode. It uses 4 AA in a separate compartment on the back of the headband, is regulated for lithium batteries, and waterproof to 1 meter.

I know that it is considered heavy by the UL's but with 60 Lums I hope to attract a UFO :D

Powder River
01-03-2008, 11:56
I'll third the Petzl e+light. It weighs .9 ounces. Nuff said

dessertrat
01-03-2008, 12:08
Walmart special, energizer head lamps. Fairly bright, red LED for night work at camp or when you don't want to lose your night vision. I've yet to have one crap out, I had one for about 3 years then it got stolen, the one I've got now is 1 yr older and it has better LED's than the old one.

Ditto. I had a Princeton Tec, and then I bought one of the Walmart lights, it is brighter than the Princton, has more features, including red LED.

Don't buy into the hype. Sometimes the stuff at Walmart is just as good. (Energizer brand).

Johnny Thunder
01-03-2008, 12:30
I'll third the Petzl e+light. It weighs .9 ounces. Nuff said

Fif!

(Ok, maybe Fourth)

I'd take the e+light over the Black Diamond Ion and here's why...

When designing these devices around existing battery types Petzl used an existing widely used watch/calculator/computer battery while Black Diamond used a camera battery.

If you walked into any CVS you'd probably find them to be about the same price. However, I've found the Petzl type (CR 2032) in many dollar stores while the Black Diamond 6 volt is MIA. Also, you can get the CR2032's by the fistfull on Ebay for chump change...(right before this post I saw a lot of 200 go for $25 shipped).